Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo73

Help! Serious decrease in frame rate over time.

I'm playing combined operations, DayZ in particular.

When I FIRST join a game, the game is great. Everything is smooth, I have no lag, I'm enjoying myself.

As time goes on, my framerate gets worse. After an hour or two, I've gone from an initial 60 fps to ~10 fps. Nearly unplayable.

My GPU drivers are updated.

My ARMA beta patch is updated.

My DayZ is updated.

The game is much better after I restart my computer.

I've tried:

Changing video settings does nothing. If I'm on high video settings and I start to lag, and change to low video settings, my lag is unchanged.

Changing my .cfg files GPU_maxdistance and that other GPU_ thing, both to 1. This actually increased performance but my lag over time is still there.

Specifying the number of cores to be used (2).

Specifying the number of memory to be used (768).

PC specs:

Windows 7 64-bit

Nvidia EVGA 260 GTX

Intel Duo 2.4ghz (e6600)

7200rpm HDD

2 Gigs of 800 speed ram

850w power supply

evga 680i mobo

~$60 zantec cpu cooler

It SEEMS like some kind of memory leak. The more I play and see, the more my computer stores, so the more I lag.

I only get about 10/15 minutes of actual good gameplay. I would be so thankful if anyone can help. Thank you!

What your problem was caused by insufficient RAM and virtual memory.

Considering you are using win7 64 bit, arma2 can actually use 2GB RAM, plus OS using about 1GB, so 2GB RAM is not enough, you must update your physical memory to 4GB(nowdays it is very cheap), then you'd better set at least 2GB virtual memory(pagefiles), don't set it in C disk(system disk).

What your problem was caused by insufficient RAM and virtual memory.

Considering you are using win7 64 bit, arma2 can actually use 2GB RAM, plus OS using about 1GB, so 2GB RAM is not enough, you must update your physical memory to 4GB(nowdays it is very cheap), then you'd better set at least 2GB virtual memory(pagefiles), don't set it in C disk(system disk).

Pretty sure that isn't it. I just put in another gig of ram in addition to my 2, so now I have 3, and I had the same exact problem.

Btw, I don't always get my 10/15minutes. Sometimes it's just shit from the get-go and gets worse.

What about SP missions ? Or do some of the benchmarks some times in the row.

Use msi afterburner to monitor the gpu clockspeed, if the driver crashes and recovers (sometimes hard to notice) performance will be terrible (2d clocks or even lower). you need to restart your pc to disengage the nvidia safe sentinel, you said restarting pc fixes it, so I guess this is the problem.

pre- 300 drivers didn't have this declining performance after driver crashes, they just revert to default clocks.

Of course it's better to find out why the driver crashes in the first place.

By the way, this does NOT happen in single player.

Try using the flush command and report back.

No luck.

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:52 ----------

Use msi afterburner to monitor the gpu clockspeed, if the driver crashes and recovers (sometimes hard to notice) performance will be terrible (2d clocks or even lower). you need to restart your pc to disengage the nvidia safe sentinel, you said restarting pc fixes it, so I guess this is the problem.

pre- 300 drivers didn't have this declining performance after driver crashes, they just revert to default clocks.

Of course it's better to find out why the driver crashes in the first place.

Trying this now with EVGA precision.

Jimbo73, please try playing singleplayer for a while, as gambla suggested. This will help us narrow down the possible problems even further so.

Sorry for not seeing your above post. But as it only happens in multiplayerplayer, this seems to be a server issue. The -flush command did not work for you?

Jimbo73, please try playing singleplayer for a while, as gambla suggested. This will help us narrow down the possible problems even further so.

Sorry for not seeing your above post. But as it only happens in multiplayerplayer, this seems to be a server issue. The -flush command did not work for you?

OKAY! This is developing. And no, the flush command didn't do anything.

Yeah, singleplayer was flawless - AND - it used 100% of my GPU clock. This is an important detail. Because DayZ (when lagging, I can't get it to stop lagging now), is only using 30-40% of my GPU clock. It's not taking the resources that it needs, apparently.

I'm believing that this is a server/multiplayer issue. It's been around for years and intensive game modes such as DayZ and Life can turn out this way. I would hope that with all the beta patches they've been putting out relating to multiplayer that it will be fixed in the next update.

I'm believing that this is a server/multiplayer issue. It's been around for years and intensive game modes such as DayZ and Life can turn out this way. I would hope that with all the beta patches they've been putting out relating to multiplayer that it will be fixed in the next update.

From what I can see, this happens to very few people. Because of that, I think the problem is my computer. I need to figure out why DayZ is only using 30% of my GPU clock.

---------- Post added at 03:41 ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 ----------

Okay - I put my GPU stats on my keyboard display. While I was in game, I noticed my GPU memory slowly rise by 1mb/10 seconds or so. It eventually went from ~560 to ~590, and started to lag. So I used the flush command. The GPU memory reset back to ~560, but the lag didn't go away.

Another thing to note, my GPU usage is lower when I start to lag. What is going on here?

yeah, if it's only in multiplayer it's probably not a problem on your end.

From what I can see, this happens to very few people. Because of that, I think the problem is my computer. I need to figure out why DayZ is only using 30% of my GPU clock.

I can assure that this is not only you.

I can assure that this is not only you.

Holy cow! I didn't see that thread. You had mentioned it might be fixed in the next patch in a previous post.. I thought "what are the chances when I barely see anyone having this problem?". Well, forget that hah! Maybe it will be fixed. I'm going to try and revert my drivers in the meantime.

Edited by Jimbo73

@Jimbo73

No matter how annoying and irritating your problems are (yes, I do fully understand not being able to play in a normal way is) please do not crosspost!

Directing readers in another thread to your own thread only to draw more attention is not allowed.

Many people here are trying to help you anyway!

§9) Do not cross-post

Do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum simply to get an answer quicker or to draw more attention to your post.

I have deleted the post from the other thread.

PS: also the swearing was not needed at all.

@Jimbo73

No matter how annoying and irritating your problems are (yes, I do fully understand not being able to play in a normal way is) please do not crosspost!

Directing readers in another thread to your own thread only to draw more attention is not allowed.

Many people here are trying to help you anyway!

I have deleted the post from the other thread.

PS: also the swearing was not needed at all.

Jeez, I thought I was being helpful by showing them this thread, where some other solutions have been posted, and joining their ranks in experiencing this problem. I wasn't trying to hijack the other thread, but I apologize for disobeying rule 9.

I'll edit my last post.. is that really considered a swear now? -.-

Jeez, I thought I was being helpful by showing them this thread....

+1

Anyways...using the EVGA 680i you have to understand that you can't or shouldn't use 3 sticks of memory on that board. The idea is to install memory sticks in adjacent slots. Meaning not next to each other. e.g. if using x2 1gb memory sticks place them in slots o and 1 ONLY. 2 and 3 shouldn't be used.

So the bottom line is that if you want to increase the physical memory you should use all four slots using 1gb sticks. If you use 2 sticks of memory put them in slots 0 and 1 (If I remember correctly, the blue ones). Read the manual.

ok i'm starting to have this issue too when playing warfare online, i notice it only starts to happen after maybe 40-60min into the game. the changes that i notice was when before it start lagging my GPU usage is around ~50% but when the lag starts my GPU is at 100% all the time. Closing arma and running it again wont fix it since i can see the lag even at the main menu, only after i do a pc restart only then the issue is gone.

Last night i played with the pmc campaign for a few hours and it didnt lag. BTW how do you do the flush command? i want to try that later instead of restarting my pc.

Edited by gunso

As I said, this is an issue that's been around for years. I don't know if it's because of multiplayer servers not powerful enough or what. But I can remember the same exact thing in ArmA: Armed Assault.

I don't know if it's because of multiplayer servers not powerful enough or what.

What type of servers would be powerful enough.

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

ANYWAYS! The only thing being is that the single DIMM in bank 2 slot 2 will run in single-channel mode (obviously) not in dual-channel mode like the DIMMs populating bank 1 slots 0 and 1..Bank 1 will run in dual-channel mode while bank 2 will only run in single channel mode, which is no great big deal. So figure it out. If you can't? PM me.