Sign in to follow this  
SMGdeDusT

Arma 2 OA causing PC shutdown

Before I start I know for a fact this is not a hardware or PSU problem. My computer worked great until I installed combined operations from steam.

I ran the game for the first time an it caused my PC to shut down without warning after about one minute.

I googled the problem and found a user on these forums who said that since installing arma 2, not only would that game cause his of to shut down, but that all other games now caused the same issue. Wow. As a shot in the dark, I decided to eat this and sure enough the same thing Happened to me. Starcraft, the game I have played religiously until installing arma, now causes my of to shut down after approximately 5 minutes of gameplay.

All other games now do the same. The user claimed the problem was solved by uninstalling arma. I did this, but now I still experience this problem.

I am devistated that my computer that I have used for gaming up until today has become a brick because of arma 2. I want my money back and I want my computer back to the working state that it was in until I had the bright idea to give this game a try.

Does anyone have any idea what I might try aside from completely reformatting my pc? I will not attempt to run any kind of beta patch or attempt to "fix" arma in any way. I already consider this and any release by this developer to be untrusted software. I have already uninstalled have no intention of ever playing after what I have experienced today.

Mmm...how on earth could an uninstalled game make your computer shut down ? That sounds like a hardware failure, maybe caused by some overheating after playing ArmA2.

Edited by ProfTournesol
typos, damn

Never ever in my gaming career (which started even before the C64 became popular) i've heard that a game was the cause of a Computer shutdown. Most likely one of your PC's component is overheating, probably the CPU. Since you said you uninstalled ArmA 2, it is absolutely impossible that it still could have any effect on your PC anymore, even if not all registry entries have been deleted.

I want my money back

Contact the dealer where you bought the game, they are responsible for a possible refund.

I want my computer back to the working state

Possible if you show the ability to cooperate. We need more info about the used hardware, dxdiag.txt file and the arma2.rpt file. Also check the temps of your hardware components, mainly CPU, GPU, VRam and possibly HD.

It did not overheat. I played on low settings. My computer has been able to handle much more graphics-intensive games and has been able to handle higher temperatures than where it was when this happened. In fact, the first shutdown happened only in the main menu before any Gameplay whatsoever. I have not played arma for more than a minute on low settings and before that, the demo ran fine on normal settings for more than half an hour.

There was never a problem until this morning's installation of this piece of shit.

There was never a problem until this morning's installation of this piece of shit.

If you want to keep us motivated to help you, then please control your language, although i understand that you're upset.

Back to your problem, in my previous post i've requested some data. Please provide them in your next post or i have to assume that you're not really interested to solve your problem and close the thread.

Help us to help you. Thank you.

I'll see what I can do. I have already asked steam support about a possible refund and will try to provide information from the files you mentioned. I can guarantee that this is not an issue of my system overheating, unless opening the game caused my computer to instantly burst into flames after simply accessing the main menu. Thanks for the input, regardless.

Sincerely,

The biggest arma 2 hater on the planet.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

I'm sorry, i'm posting from my cellphone and will provide the information you requested as soon as I can.

Might be your PSU failing. Same here, used to be just ArmA 2, then it spread onto other games. My PC restarted randomly and found it out was a PSU issue... Replaced it with a more reliable one and tada, worked perfectly, all restarts and shut downs gone.

II can guarantee that this is not an issue of my system overheating, unless opening the game caused my computer to instantly burst into flames after simply accessing the main menu. Thanks for the input, regardless.

can.

You can't guarantee anything. That is absolutely nonsense and i haven't read such a bull.... for years.

A game can't destroy a PC in any way. It's a piece of code, bits and bytes.

This defin. sounds like the CPU's heat protection causing the shutdown. Also possible is GPU-, RAM-, Motherboard or PSU failure, even a virus through any illegal key generator is possible. The game just demands a lot of power from the system in any way, it cant do more.

Ever cleaned your hardware of dust ?

Before I start I know for a fact this is not a hardware or PSU problem.

Sure looks like a psu problem to me. if a pc just "is off" instantly it's almost always the psu. Otherwise it's something causing a short circuit somewhere.