Sign in to follow this  
NullOrdo

Basic Warfare Editing problems

I've read the Warfare Editing Guide and numerous topics on Warfare editing, however, I seem to be missing something very basic on getting my editing to actually work in game. My overall goal is just to add some units and vehicles into the Buy menu in Warfare and change the starting loadout of a few players. Now, I understand to add units, you need to go into the Config_Barracks file and do it that way. That isn't a problem and I understand that part.

My issue is: I'm attempting to edit the 16/32 player Takistan CTI map, which when unpacked, doesn't have any other files other than the basic Description, Init, InitMission, etc. There are no folders pointing to other config files or anything. I've tried adding them in manually but the game doesn't seem to register them and ignores any changes I've tried to make.

So basically, how do I get the game to "read" the edits I've made in the Config files? Is there a line of command I need to add to one of the base files? Right now I have the basic files and the folder Common > Config > Config_Barracks, with my changes made but nothing appears different when I load up my map.

Any help would be super appreciated because I'd love to dig into modding this but I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Using [initMission.sqf] you can add what files you want to control (override from warfare.pbo):

//Last modified 2/11/9

//*****************************************************************************************

//Description: This is called before the WF core initialization starts.

//Note that you cannot set values like VOTETIME here because core init will overwrite them.

//Set those values in a custom Init_Common.sqf.

//*****************************************************************************************

//Script for setting WF init values before init begins (this script). Put in init field of Warfare logic in editor.

//this SetVariable ["customInitMissionScript","InitMission.sqf"];

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["sidePlacement",[true,-1,-1]]; //Side placement, use all possible locations for all sides.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitClientScript",""]; //Use default core client initialization.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitCommonScript","Common\Init\Init_Common.sqf"];//Run custom common init after core's. You can replace core's common scripts here, or just change values like vote time, etc. Refer to Init_Constants.sqf.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitServerScript",""]; //Use default core server initialization.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitBasesScript",""];//Create custom base vehicles & patrols.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customBaseLayoutsScript","Server\Config\Config_BaseLayouts.sqf"];//Custom base layouts.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customTownsScript","Server\Config\Config_MapTowns.sqf"];//Custom town configurations.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customTownPath","Server\Config\"]; //Use mission's dir for town configs path. Important! Leave this variable undefined unless you have custom scripts.

//1/17/7 MM - Created file.

With above as example you need to put [Common\Init\Init_Common.sqf] in your mission folders and from there on it should be self-explaning.

Also, this seems to be ArmA2 issue and not ArmA as you put Takistan as example.

You're right, it is for ARMA 2, I didn't realize this was the ARMA 1 forum. I don't think there is a difference in the Warfare modding though, I could be incorrect.

Ok, going by your advice: If I wanted to add a Barracks for example, I would insert the line, like so... ?

//Last modified 2/11/9

//************************************************** ***************************************

//Description: This is called before the WF core initialization starts.

//Note that you cannot set values like VOTETIME here because core init will overwrite them.

//Set those values in a custom Init_Common.sqf.

//************************************************** ***************************************

//Script for setting WF init values before init begins (this script). Put in init field of Warfare logic in editor.

//this SetVariable ["customInitMissionScript","InitMission.sqf"];

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["sidePlacement",[true,-1,-1]]; //Side placement, use all possible locations for all sides.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitClientScript",""]; //Use default core client initialization.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitCommonScript","Common\Init\Init_Common. sqf"];//Run custom common init after core's. You can replace core's common scripts here, or just change values like vote time, etc. Refer to Init_Constants.sqf.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitServerScript",""]; //Use default core server initialization.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customInitBasesScript",""];//Create custom base vehicles & patrols.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customBaseLayoutsScript","Server\Config\Config_Ba seLayouts.sqf"];//Custom base layouts.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customTownsScript","Server\Config\Config_MapTowns .sqf"];//Custom town configurations.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["customTownPath","Server\Config\"]; //Use mission's dir for town configs path. Important! Leave this variable undefined unless you have custom scripts.

BIS_WF_Common SetVariable ["Common\Config\Config_Barracks.sqf",""];

//1/17/7 MM - Created file.

With the Config_Barracks.sqf file being within the folders Common/Config from the main folder.

And by saying "put the Init_Common.sqf in your mission folders", do you mean the main mission folder or in the directory of Common/Init?

I apologize for making this more difficult than I'm sure it is.

Nope.

This file pinpointed by the warfare editor object is used to override the shown variables set to BIS_WF_Common (thats actually the warfare object) and you can tell warfare2.pbo to look at [Common\Init\Init_Common.sqf] which physically resides in your mission folder. In that file you redirect reading barracks from your [Common\Config\Config_Barracks.sqf] contaning your edited unit lists.

Not the best system made by Mike Melvin but i works. Actually you can override alot of files removing "corepath" from the relevant calls using files in your mission filder rather than the warfare pbo. There's a bunch of them in Client and Server init-files.

This way you keep your mission pbo small using warfare.pbo functions execpt for those files you redirect - now thats a smart move by Mr. Melvin :) God Bless his Socks (as someone here would say).

Saldy though this system would've worked perfectly unless they changed core function calls with each patch rendering this system to a total mayhem for anyone put some effort in there moving alot of files out to the mission folder.

Also note that warfare is using "activateAddons" (worst command since Rommel left the desert) which will get you "error .. downloadable content" running your edit in MP - just an error with no other impact so you should be good to go, but it's annoying as hell.

Edit: no worries - it actually IS quite difficult

I cleaned up a version of CWR2 I made some time ago, this one running pure warfare2.pbo with overrides as I tried to describe above. Even if you dont have CWR2 you can still see through the files how it's done.

If you have CWR2 you'll find it in editor on Everon.

Download Example folder here

Edited by [ASA]ODEN