Sign in to follow this  
kremator

'Lame connecting' to user made missions

Dear community,

This has been bugging me for ages, but today especially (you'll see why later). Firstly a definition: lame connecting - to connect to a server to leech the mission then disconnect without actually playing it!

Now one could argue that it is wonderful that people so want the mission that they will connect, out of all the servers running all those different missions, but I actually find it very rude, to take the mission, then disconnect without even playing it!

Is this just me being an old fogey or is this something that others have a beef with?

So why am I annoyed today? Well I have been playing the mission in MP (to try and get others to come in and play it as well) but have had a stream of lame connecting! I have had twenty people lame connect in the last 2 hours! Not one of them actually came into the mission and said hello, thanks for the mission.

Perhaps I'll log their UIDs and permaban them in future.

Perhaps I'll log their UIDs and permaban them in future.

Thats what I did before stopping running an open server, so yes - I've seen a share quantity of lame connections.

But Guys - then what would be the fun in waiting till you finished your mission and posted it up in the forums and then to tell you

it would be better if you changed it.

Most of the time its not hard to work out the owner or creator of the mission is online.

and if they are like me , i welcome user input - even in the petesting beta stage and i

encourage people to join in to test and give there ideas , i dont even mind them taking

it home and pulling it apart. if they pop in say HI first.

Its good not to be RUDE

- Mission Maker knows that to know its not a finished mission.

- Mission Maker gets user input when things are easier to change

- You may get advice on some of the things you see in the mission

- The mission is not pre judged before its finnished - as much -

- You may make friends - i know i have.

- You may become part of something that you like and get your name in the credits- Its happened :)

- Mission makers spend months testing and may enjoy the company - this is a community after all.

- You may get to see some ideas "and code" that never make it to the forums - By the Mission maker inviting you to help test some new stuff.

- To the Mission Makers

- Some can be more social. Most are already

- If your not on line leave a email or contact in scripts or on server as some people may want to ask when your on and if they can join you.

- Myself i know i welcome peope to share there ideas in pre beta testing -

- And i welcome players to say HI even if they can only stay for a few minutes.

Anyway just try and say HI and see how that goes for you in the future :)

Most of us mission makers dont bite - may be stressed out - and wouldnt mind a chat for awhile.

I don´t mind them, did a fair share of lame connecting during the ofp days myself.

Sometimes it´s the only way to fill a dull evening with testing of robably fun missions.

Nowadays most connecting ppl crash into the CO barrier anyways :rolleyes:

They probably just jumping through servers to find one which is/will be populated as soon as they joined.... Too many players are playing just the same or similar missions over and over again because they prefer to stick to what they know. Perhaps these players are too afraid of taking the risk and trying something really new out? Maybe just afraid of playing with strangers? Or just "experienced teamplay" with TK's, cheaters, annoying shooter kids etc??

one thing i have noticed - when i was backdating some missions to arma2 i used Arma2free to do the testing and the people that connected did stay for a while and most used Voice

Just made me think a bit :) -

I normally test in LAN when I don't want to be bothered, but occasionally I go and host an internet server when I test. Yes there are a bunch of lame connecters, but I have seen people come in and join, talk, ask questions, give suggestions. I wish more people did too. :)

Hi

Interesting post, Ive made a few observations since running a public server for the past 6 months for mission testing. But to keep on topic...

The Firefox server missions get updated almost daily in development, and I never really thought the players that connect and leave were just doing so to take the mission (lots of reasons to suddenly disconnect). The missions are very chunky and would only work on a dedi, I just hope they come back for the latest version of the mission. Can seem rude when a player joins for 5-10mins and dosnt say Hi, its £££ for me to have a server, saying hi is free...Very rare to get feedback on the mission from players, but maybe they dont realise they are playing with the mission maker?

I do find for the negative points about running a public server, theres always great players that join in, making up for it ;)

Have FUN!

Dan

Even a player staying on for 5 minutes is great! What I tend to see (even on other servers that I have been on) is XXXX is connecting, XXXX has connected, XXXX has disconnected - all within the timeframe just to download the mission then press Esc!

Of course, seeing the mission maker on the server should be MORE of an incentive to join, as they can find out exacty what to do.