Sign in to follow this  
Shadefox

Cone of Fire and Iron Sights

From watching TB's E3 ARMAIII presentation, I'm actually very worried now about how Iron Sights work, seeing how there's now a Cone of Fire, rather than using where the physical gun points.

In a realistic game, Iron Sights should always hit where the gun is aimed, using weapon recoil to deviate. A Cone of Fire is nothing more than a random dice role, and using COF for Iron Sights (BF3 style for example) has always annoyed the hell out of me, as it removes the only visual representation of your dice role.

I was rather excited for this game, but I'm rather worried now that it's started getting Arcadey aspects in. Please tell me that Iron Sights are going to stay realistic.

The current crosshair in A2 already expands when you run/are tired/etc. They just changed the shape of the damn crosshair.

It will be the same as in ArmA 2 (and the same as it as been since OFP). Gun shoots where muzzle is pointed. Don't worry about crosshairs.

Cone of fire is rather over exaggerated in other games such as America's Army 3 and so on. ACE have a good dispersion script.

A Cone of Fire is nothing more than a random dice role, and using COF for Iron Sights (BF3 style for example) has always annoyed the hell out of me, as it removes the only visual representation of your dice role.

As per the above, there is no cone of fire.

The current crosshair in A2 already expands when you run/are tired/etc. They just changed the shape of the damn crosshair.

Exactly.

But, they did change one thing, the crosshair now shows where the bullet will be shot. Think of it as a "context sensitive" crosshair. It moves, but the bullet still shoots out of the gun. That way, there won't be anymore complaints like this.

Edited by Nicholas

I doubt there is cone of fire, just different cross hairs. I think the bullet still shoots exactly where the gun is pointed like mentioned.

Cone of fire is rather over exaggerated in other games such as America's Army 3 and so on.
I guess since these games have fights at such close ranges, and have "floating camera" POV it has to be exaggerated in order to make firefights last more than a second. If those large cones of fire were transported to arma sized battle field you would use up all your ammo before hitting in any firefight over 100 metres.

Just to be clear: Not one single piece of information in this thread has been confirmed by anyone that actually knows anything, right?

ArmA and Cone of Fire are two things that will never exist in the same game.

But, they did change one thing, the crosshair now shows where the bullet will be shot. Think of it as a "context sensitive" crosshair. It moves, but the bullet still shoots out of the gun. That way, there won't be anymore complaints like this.

Yeah i like it, though i rarely play with crosshairs on anyway.

Just to be clear: Not one single piece of information in this thread has been confirmed by anyone that actually knows anything, right?

Well, you could just look at all the e3 videos.

In a realistic game, Iron Sights should always hit where the gun is aimed

If you want realism then don't use crosshairs. Duh.

If you want realism then don't use crosshairs. Duh.

You have managed to completely miss the intent of that post, and the entirety of the thread.

I was worried that the Iron Sights are going to end up like BF3 'Iron Sights', which still use a COF method of aiming.

Please tell me that Iron Sights are going to stay realistic.

Iron sights are going to stay realistic.

I was worried that the Iron Sights are going to end up like BF3 'Iron Sights', which still use a COF method of aiming.

May I ask what made you jump to that conclusion.

He saw the new (old, didn't OFP have the same kind of crosshairs) and the bullet dispersion/recoil and automatically jumped to BI removing a core feature of their simgames

(old, didn't OFP have the same kind of crosshairs)

OFP had them for machineguns and such, but they didnt get larger/smaller depending on your stance etc, that was introduced with A2 (Or A1, cant remember), but that one didnt have the cross type crosshairs anymore.

EDIT: Also, the one in OFP had a dot in the middle IIRC

Edited by NeMeSiS