Sign in to follow this  
BoogieManFL

Harvest Red - Cooper's voice changes

I have Arma 2, OA from Steam. I started playing the campaign and I'm a few missions in where it's freeroam and I have to locat Lopotev.

The problem is, when I issues order to my men Cooper's voice is suddenly different. I found an old thread where someone else had the issue but there was no resolution. He has his normal voice when talking to people and such, just not while out and about issuing orders. It changes from a deeper voice that does a good job sounding American to a higher voice that sounds maybe Czech? so it's a night and day difference.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Edited by BoogieManFL

Hey,

There's no way to fix this.. It was one of the original ArmA 2's flaws that was rectified in later campaigns.

I believe the AI voice acting was done by recording 5 people saying individual words/phrases then gluing them together.. Along with a slightly randomized pitch in sound.

It's a long time since I played Harvest Red.. But I'm pretty sure Cooper's AI commanding voice is just player profile Voice 1 or 3 with a slightly lower pitch.

Sucks I know, but it was pretty much fixed in later campaigns. (I recommend playing Operation Arrowhead or the British campaign for some better voice acting)

Personally I couldn't cope with it at first, so as a quick fix I just muted the radio in the audio settings.

Seems crazy that it's impossible to fix.

I mean it works fine in the mission before it, something changes when that map loads. Surely the developer could fix something like this easily.. If the voices were more similar (I noticed the oddness when numbers and directions are mentioned but it's not THAT bad) but these are two COMPLETELY different voices.

I don't think it's too easy to fix.. Well certainly not without hiring/using the same voice actor that voices Cooper... Which costs money... Then assign some programmers and mission scriptwriters to patch it all up... Which costs money.

Harvest Red was very buggy, at least on release when I played it. So perhaps it's a small mishap in the mission scripting, as you say it worked fine in the mission before it.

In that case it'd probably be easy to fix, if they're able to dedicate the time to it.. Which costs money.

Bohemia Interactive is a good company for customer support, so hopefully if the bug can be replicated they might fix it for you.

Which mission is it by the way?

It worked fine up until Mission 5. I made a short video that illustrates this issue quickly.

14 seconds 7.8MB WMV converted to MP4 by Photobucket, just click the image below.

th_Arma2VoiceDiscrepancy.jpg

Edited by BoogieManFL

This problem happens only in the 1.62 OA patch. If you launch arma II 1.11 alone coops' commanding voice is normal. Yeah should be pretty easy to fix (no need to redo the acting since it's already there -.-), we can just hope this thread gets enough attention..

I tried playing the campaign again in 1.60. There seems to be a problem setting the player's identity to Cooper in that mission. I also noticed radio subtitles use the current player's name (eg, ceeeb) for lines spoken by Cooper.

I noticed another hilarious bug in the Miles execution cutscene, where Miles stood up a few seconds after being apparently killed, then looked at the player, then vanished :)