Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

Basic flying instructions please.

I assume that it means that Slatts confirms my impression. ; )

I know neither of you two, nor the project in question, but you, Rock, are coming across to me as excessively touchy. Just sayin'.

Not everything that is going on is visible on this forum. Taken out of context maybe i am. But if you take the time to find out the shit that statements like his on this and other other forums are stirring up then maybe you'll understand.

EDIT:

Ok Simon's given me permission to post our chat.

[30/06/2012 20:52:26] EDF_Simon: Yo man, is it true you are not going to finish Ilha Marrom?

[30/06/2012 20:52:49] Tris aka RKSL/W2S: No? Who told you that fairy tale?

[30/06/2012 20:52:55] EDF_Simon: its on the BIF

[30/06/2012 20:53:08] Tris aka RKSL/W2S: Well its bollocks. Got the link?

[30/06/2012 20:53:43] ] EDF_Simon: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135884-Basic-flying-instructions-please&p=2181509&viewfull=1#post2181509

[30/06/2012 20:55:02] Tris aka RKSL/W2S: He's talking out of his arse and he knows nothing but thanks for the heads up.

[30/06/2012 20:55:35] EDF_Simon: Da nada, thanks for that we've been hearing rumours for ages... he just seems to know something.

Its not the discussion or opinions i object to, just rumour mongering. Some of the stories people like to tell are ridiculous. I've found after years of experience its best to stop it before it starts.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

What does that mean ?

I wouldn't mine knowing myself?

Edited by RKSL-Rock

O.k. to me it all seems a little like paranoia, however, not knowing the circumstances, that perhaps an off the cuff remark of enjoying a flight around a certain island (which will remain nameless) would or could cause i.e. rumour mongering, although it was for another to ‘monger’, ‘Simon’ you little ‘mongerer’ you, I just commented, then I will not mention it again or any of your other projects.

I know ‘mongerer’ is not a word but it seemed to fit a description. Maybe I should have said he ‘mongered’, ok Simon, you mongered...

Back on topic: ‘Sands’ is a great island for practising your flying skills, undulating sand hills, its great.

Now who made that one, ‘Sands’ is finished, well I think it is, although I don’t know, so don’t ask, pointless starting any rumours, as I don’t know anything regards islands made here or ………

nope, can’t finish, too busy rolling around on the floor laughing, thinking this whole thing is ridiculous, or very sad, not sure which…

‘Get Out More’ people..

When I said delete what you wrote I meant save yourself the trouble of all thats happened above and will surely continue below

In the meantime.............

I am getting the hang of flying fixed wing aircraft.

Every aircraft has different flight characteristics. As this is a game I was not expecting that! I suppose for each aircraft practise makes perfect.

1. I have great trouble attacking ground targets. When I get the recticle on the target the aircraft moves off target: At which point I can sterr the aircraft in any diirection except back onto target! Why is that?

As for chopppers again each has different flight characteristics and again I suppose practice makes perfect.

2. However I find them always trying to turn left. It is impossible to keep flying on any bearing. They seem to fight me. The one exception is in the BAF Showcase there is a very small British chopper which seems easy to fly! .

1. I have great trouble attacking ground targets. When I get the recticle on the target the aircraft moves off target: At which point I can sterr the aircraft in any diirection except back onto target! Why is that?

There are several reasons why, and most of them aren't your fault. The biggest problem is that, unlike real fixed-wing combat aircraft, the ones in Arma do not have their guns aligned with the aircraft's boresight. They're pointing off-center, so you have to "inverse lead" as well as lead the target. That is, you have to not only compensate for bullet drop and for the enemy's motion, but you have to compensate for your own motion as well. You don't have to do that last part in the real deal, because the gun is pointing the same direction that you are.

So, for example, the Arma A-10 has its gun pointing downward, about 10 degrees IIRC. So when your gunsight is aiming at, say, a tank, and you're flying directly toward it, then your bullets will land over and behind it when you fire. So you need to aim under the tank (at the ground between you and the tank, close to the tank). Again, real A-10 pilots don't have this problem because the gunsight is aligned. (Also, they have a computer-assisted gunsight, I believe, but they don't have this problem even if they turn it off.)

Another problem with the gunsight not being aligned properly is the one you're having--rolling the aircraft moves the gunsight around, because the gunsight isn't close to the roll axis. This makes shooting extremely difficult, even for a highly-accomplished virtual pilot. The solution is mostly to zoom in, use rudder, and walk your tracers on target. Do a minimum of rolling; as long as your nose is "mostly" pointed at the target, you can use rudder to do the rest. Practice, as with any virtual (or real) flying activity, is the most important part. Oh! I nearly forgot--the SU-25, alone of all the fixed-wing aircraft in the game, has a cannon which is correctly aligned. Unfortunately, there is very little ammunition in it, so learning gunnery on it can be tricky, but it'll be much, much easier to aim with it.

Edited by Echo38

When flying a fixed wing aircraft from time to time I need to turn and so I bank the aircraft.

1. Is there a maximum bank angle such as 45 degrees. Beyond the maximum bank angle is bad because......

2. Is there a perfect bank angle or does that vary from one aircraft to another

3. I presume some aircraft can make a tigher turn: What is the reason for that? ( in terms that relate to playing the game).

To turn a plane, bank to about 80 degrees and then pull back (nose up). This will make you turn as fast as possible but note that it slows you down so don't let speed get too low or you stall (lose lift).

Banking to much will make you lose lift and extreme bank will make you turn into the ground. (Just experiment)

Same can be done in a helicopter but again, watch your speed. Turning like this is the best way to stop a helicopter as pulling up in level flight will make you gain altitude even if you drop the collective (throttle)

Doing straffing runs is really a case of practice, practice, practice.

You have to get used to predicting where bullets and rockets will hit and turn the aircraft a bit earlier.

Do not get target fixation. Its better to over-fly and try again than end up in the ground (which does happen in real life too)

Remember that throttle setting is important as that affects the height of the impacts, ESPECIALLY in a helicopter.

Edited by EDcase

Joe98, I fly with the xbox360 controller, both helo and fixed wing, and it seems effective enough for basic flight. You may have trouble with SA, unless u have trackIR. More advanced (flares, chaff) options require remapping ALL the buttons and thumb sticks though, which is gay. Why the hell cant i just remap the buttons. 360 controller works well otherwise.