Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

I'm looking for Proponents and Opponents of the DAYZ mod.

W0lle, deffo more revenue is an acknowledged doubleplusgood point, furthermore, there's an untapped market for these kind of things,

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11151

Fallen Earth MMO has failed - lots of unsatisfied zed hunters that you could tap into.

Read their derp forums, it's not me implying that.

I've read that threat. FPDRFPDRFPDR

Concrete Pro: Like said, more revenue and exposure to BI.

Hypothetical Pro: Improved AI routines will be wanted and can carry across the board.

Concrete Cons: None. I don't care whether others enjoy zombies more then mil-sims.

Hypothetical Con: Maruk's zombie addicted brain declares Arma dead and eaten so that zombies may rule forever! Just realised the symbiotic irony of this -Our brains are addicted to zombies in turn their appetites are addicted to our brains. Mother Nature at her finest.

Other: Although I like Z I will always be a fan of the tac military stuff far and away. I have to say that everytime I've played Z I've had more spontaneous teamplay/cooperation with other players then in a standard Arma Public server.

Edited by froggyluv

Pros

BIS Got a lot of nice publicity pre E3 and Ergo Arma3 had more column inches / electronic video coverage than they would have .

Player base has swollen and that can only be good for any well run Arma community who have felt some overspill .

Cons

Rocket produced some quality stuff for arma A2/oa and I guess bis hired him to contribute to a3 not dayz , I can only assume

whatever it was he was going to be workingon is now delayed or given to another dev , which is an acceptable price IMO.

Biggest con is that the forum grandads who haven't played the game probably In 4 years are now here protecting there birthright by abusing the term COD Kiddies will come and ruin are simulator ,thus giving a bad impression of the real contributors to the community , such as server owners,addon makers ,mission makers who will welcome the new masses with open minds .

Biggest con is that the forum grandads who haven't played the game probably In 4 years are now here protecting there birthright by abusing the term COD Kiddies will come and ruin are simulator ,thus giving a bad impression of the real contributors to the community , such as server owners,addon makers ,mission makers who will welcome the new masses with open minds .

I think it's pretty interesting that you criticize one false generalization by creating another. You also seem to have a pretty strong idea of what a 'real community contributor' is. I'm not sure this kind of labelling rhetoric is very helpful, but it _is_ widespread.

It seems like most of the cons mentioned in this thread are the cons of human nature.

I think it's pretty interesting that you criticize one false generalization by creating another. You also seem to have a pretty strong idea of what a 'real community contributor' is. I'm not sure this kind of labelling rhetoric is very helpful, but it _is_ widespread.

you seem to have an underlying opinion of me that wants to get out in public, i suggest you PM me with your gripe, because the public flogging is getting a little under my skin to be honest

you seem to have an underlying opinion of me that wants to get out in public, i suggest you PM me with your gripe, because the public flogging is getting a little under my skin to be honest

Not at all. Why would you come to that conclusion?

DayZ brought in a different PvP style than we were used to in Arma (or in almost any other game!).

CTI, Domination, Warfare, or a "regular" mission - all of them are actually rather predictable when it comes to hostile player encounters,

but in DayZ you dont have any objectives, or safe zones, or marked "hostile areas". You travel all over the map, exploring, and you never know where you might meet somebody.

In DayZ you can play almost for hours without even seeing other players, or you can meet up with your friends and go on as a group, or you can meet somebody (and maybe get killed)

within minutes from the moment you spawned - it all depends on how you play the game (how you want to play it).

But, regardless of whether you are playing in a team, or walking for hours without running into anyone, you are never safe, and hostile player(s) might show up anywhere and at any moment.

IMO the zombies are much less important (although they can easily become a huge problem) than this PvP factor.

This omnipresent uncertainty gives you a unique feeling, hardly to be found in any other game.

It is different, a true survival game - thats the big difference which makes it interesting for so many players.

PROS:

One more mod we can choose from => more fun.

A little more publicity for BIS => they might listen for a bit and fix few things here and there, or even add some features (or even try to make it into standalone game? => even more fun).

We can eat all the beans and steaks in the world without getting fat! => thats nice :)

CONS:

Sorry, i dont see any (or at least not yet).

DayZ brought in a different PvP style than we were used to in Arma (or in almost any other game!).

Not really, it brought in deathmatch, which is nothing new.

Not really, it brought in deathmatch, which is nothing new.

I think it's fairly obvious that DayZ is not merely a deathmatch game :) and it's unfair to dismiss it as such.

Never mind, not my place here to change opinions in this thread :)

Edited by DMarkwick

On a slightly different angle, do you think DayZ would be released as a standalone game like some news sites have been suggesting? I think seeing as though a ton of people have bought ARMA to play it they might not be too happy about having to shell out for a "full game" on top of their previous purchase.

As for the the mod itself, the only thing worse than zombies, is humans. :) For me at least, the likelihood of someone shooting you seems to have increased recently. (maybe they just dont like me!)

On a slightly different angle, do you think DayZ would be released as a standalone game like some news sites have been suggesting? I think seeing as though a ton of people have bought ARMA to play it they might not be too happy about having to shell out for a "full game" on top of their previous purchase.

As for the the mod itself, the only thing worse than zombies, is humans. :) For me at least, the likelihood of someone shooting you seems to have increased recently. (maybe they just dont like me!)

DLC seems to satisfy most camps from what I can gather, although a lot of it would naturally depend on how far rocket wishes to take it.

And the deathmatch development was rather natural. It doesn't take people long to tire of scavenging for equipment and realise it's easier to take it off someone else. Its something of a social commentary.

Pro: Pretty obvious, sells units and funding to BI.

Con: Low post count members posting how Arma needs to be more 'accessible' once they tinker with the actual game itself, and asking for dopey features that relate to other games. A general influx of folk who really dont bother to look further under the hood.

Pro2: Some of them might look further & stick around for the real game :)

Con2: The rest wont.

Also there is a certain amount of Irony with the nature of the game mode and the play style required...

Edited by mrcash2009
sarcasm

Pro:

* Apparently brings a lot (still unpatched) security holes of the Arma engine more into the open. And I still hope some would get patched. Eventually. One can dream, no?

* Might help Arma to crawl out of its little corner - if you would have asked someone three months ago about Arma the answer would have been "Arma who?" At least now some might answer "Zombies". Something is better than nothing I guess.

* Moarr ppl buy Arma -> moarr cash for BE.

Contra:

* Zombies that might look further & stick around for the real game.

And I dont mean the AI zombies in the mod. I mean some of the zombies who play the mod and then suddenly decide to go on exploration and join "normal" Arma multiplayer servers with their zombie attitude behaving like zombies... ;)

I am definitely in the middle ground on this one.

On one side I am a proponent the mod, it's a great change of pace from traditional "zombie survival" mods that have been released etc.

And on the other side I am an opponent, because it's taken away from the traditional Co-op and PVP games that used to take place. A couple of weeks ago I checked the server browser only two find three public servers that were not DayZ with a decent amount of players on them. Now mind you, I enjoy DayZ and playing it. But I simply can't play it forever. I get tired of playing it even after a couple of hours, there's only so much you can do. And with the mod traditional ArmA play and ArmA play with ACE has all but dwindled to small bands of friends who play together, large clans that play private games, or the occasional lucky public server that gets populated with people.

So, in a way I'm right in the middle about the mod.

I tried it and didn't like it after some guy lagging into a wall gunned me down. Not certain what people are getting out of it. But it's more money for BIS and will hopefully lead to some fixes in the way of multiplayer for ArmA3.

But, regardless of whether you are playing in a team, or walking for hours without running into anyone, you are never safe, and hostile player(s) might show up anywhere and at any moment.

IMO the zombies are much less important (although they can easily become a huge problem) than this PvP factor.

This omnipresent uncertainty gives you a unique feeling, hardly to be found in any other game.

Well, this is not entirely true, the same sense of danger could be found on any old school MMO PvP servers (Asherons Call, DAoC, Ultima Online, and to certain extend vanilla WoW PvP servers from about 6 years ago) and EvE Online. DayZ is nothing else as (sorry for the opinion, it's more about developer not having resources than anything else) quite poor attempt at implementing hardcore PvP MMO with zombies.

Unfortunately this kind of gaming has been decimated by publishers catering only for little kids and bored house wives.

What DayZ proves is that there is quite big market for hardcore perma death, full loot PvP MMO experience.

Anwyay:

Pros: More money for BiS (I hope, I don't know how steam sales translate to real revenue for BiS), .proves that there is a market for hardcore PvP MMOs and dumbing down games isn't really the only way to do it

Cons: I don't see many, it may dilute military simulation aspect of Arma

Unfortunately this kind of gaming has been decimated by publishers catering only for little kids and bored house wives.

Lol, I didn't know "bored housewives" played videogames. I thought they were too busy cheating on their husbands.

Anyways, Dayz has been a great chapter in BIS history so far. God knows how much money they have made and I hope Rocket gets rewarded fairly. Rocket single handily has placed Arma on the map. For those who are saying that they feel sad or whatnot that these new fans are here because of Dayz and not Arma 2 military gameplay, well, don't be. Most of the new Dayz players have no interest whatsoever in military sim games. So, all this bull about these "kids" are coming to ruin Arma is pure nonsense. If they are here for Dayz then rest assure that your military simulation "Arma" is safe. What about those who say only Dayz servers online? Well, where are the Arma 2 fans to open up their servers?

Cons: nothing at all and this come from a guy who hasn't played Dayz yet. I'm not really into the vampire/werewolf/zombie culture, but, I'm looking at the whole picture and Dayz from a business point of view is a gift that not many companies get in a life time.

Edited by Lorca

And on the other side I am an opponent, because it's taken away from the traditional Co-op and PVP games that used to take place. A couple of weeks ago I checked the server browser only two find three public servers that were not DayZ with a decent amount of players on them. Now mind you, I enjoy DayZ and playing it. But I simply can't play it forever. I get tired of playing it even after a couple of hours, there's only so much you can do. And with the mod traditional ArmA play and ArmA play with ACE has all but dwindled to small bands of friends who play together, large clans that play private games, or the occasional lucky public server that gets populated with people.

Stagler approves of this valid point.

Lad who I havent spoke to since leaving college (a long time ago) messages me on steam.

"Hey nick, have you got that great new Zombie game Operation Arrowhead, I heard the Zombie mode is better than L4D2."

I almost cried.

Public ArmA MP DESERVES to be overtaken by Day Z, because it is TERRIBLE.

Back before I joined a clan, it took me two hours of searching through near-vacant servers populated by cheaters, newbs, lonewolves, incompatible mods and worthless missions for every hour of actual gameplay in a form resembling ArmA. Any teamwork or organization was as elusive as the holy grail. And that was on a very good day.

Yes, I know that PR is an excellent option, that good Insurgency servers pop up on occasion, that certain communities host public games (rarely). But those options still exist.

The rest is consistently crappy, and being squelched by a superior entertainment product. So let BI use all this DayZ cash to give us the necessary MP infrastructure. Until then, it's survival of the fittest.

The rest is consistently crappy, and being squelched by a superior entertainment product. So let BI use all this DayZ cash to give us the necessary MP infrastructure.

I'll drink to that. This is WHY I've been in favor of Dayz from day one even though I haven't played it yet. My wish is for BIS to use the new revenues from Dayz to make a better Arma series, a better engine, a better editor and, of course, a better MP.

I think DayZ is the double-edge sword of the ARMA community.

At first glance, it's a great change of pace and easily accessible to the masses. It combines some of the best features of ARMA with an unique take. It's something that's never been done before and it's an experience to be had. However, it does get old. After suriving the initial shock and awe phase you are left with a game that doesn't really give much to do except to go treasure hunting or preying on weaklings.

The game is also perhaps one of the best and (potentially) worst things to come into this community. ARMA applies to a niche market and DayZ appears to a much broader spectrum, (as shown by the influx of new players and the increased interest/sales of ARMA). My fear is that this mod could potentially take down the franchise we all know and love in favor of something that has more appeal. While I trust that the developers and heads of BIS love ARMA as much as we do, I fear the the popularity of this mod could push them in a direction to focus more on DayZ and zombies than ARMA. ARMA could be second-fiddle and get the short end of the stick, while DayZ will be the breadwinner. Hopefully, this will not be the case, but it becomes more apparent each day with the growing popularity of the mod that this could certainly happen. At the end of the day, DayZ is on pace to overtake ARMA in popularity and that could mean some drastic changes as a whole.

People rely on DayZ to bring money in to make ARMA work better. If Dayz remains a mod, then this is good. If it is developed into it's own game and franchise that could mean armaholics will only see the trickle down effects of this, if any. Why use the money from your most popular franchise to support one that isn't as popular? You will support your breadwinner and continue to try to make it bring home the cash.

People rely on DayZ to bring money in to make ARMA work better. If Dayz remains a mod, then this is good. If it is developed into it's own game and franchise that could mean armaholics will only see the trickle down effects of this, if any. Why use the money from your most popular franchise to support one that isn't as popular? You will support your breadwinner and continue to try to make it bring home the cash.

Yes that is very true. I used to want dayz as a standalone game but I think that if it were arma wouldn't receive nearly as much support, and Dayz would see massive support due to its large fanbase. I say make it a DLC for arma 3.

I think DayZ is the double-edge sword of the ARMA community.

At first glance, it's a great change of pace and easily accessible to the masses. It combines some of the best features of ARMA with an unique take. It's something that's never been done before and it's an experience to be had. However, it does get old. After suriving the initial shock and awe phase you are left with a game that doesn't really give much to do except to go treasure hunting or preying on weaklings.

The game is also perhaps one of the best and (potentially) worst things to come into this community. ARMA applies to a niche market and DayZ appears to a much broader spectrum, (as shown by the influx of new players and the increased interest/sales of ARMA). My fear is that this mod could potentially take down the franchise we all know and love in favor of something that has more appeal. While I trust that the developers and heads of BIS love ARMA as much as we do, I fear the the popularity of this mod could push them in a direction to focus more on DayZ and zombies than ARMA. ARMA could be second-fiddle and get the short end of the stick, while DayZ will be the breadwinner. Hopefully, this will not be the case, but it becomes more apparent each day with the growing popularity of the mod that this could certainly happen. At the end of the day, DayZ is on pace to overtake ARMA in popularity and that could mean some drastic changes as a whole.

There's a very remote possibility that this could happen but in all honesty, I highly doubt it. BIS has very important and serious clients not just videogame players. I highly doubt they will give shitty half-ass products to their clients just because of a zombie game. If we had EA in the equation then that's another story. BIS is a business. They can handle at least two successful titles.

If BIS does turn their backs on us, well, that's BIS for ya. It's not Dayz fault but their ethics as business people. Lucky for me, my life or my house doesn't depend on a video game.

Edited by Lorca

Public ArmA MP DESERVES to be overtaken by Day Z, because it is TERRIBLE.

Back before I joined a clan, it took me two hours of searching through near-vacant servers populated by cheaters, newbs, lonewolves, incompatible mods and worthless missions for every hour of actual gameplay in a form resembling ArmA. Any teamwork or organization was as elusive as the holy grail. And that was on a very good day.

Yes, I know that PR is an excellent option, that good Insurgency servers pop up on occasion, that certain communities host public games (rarely). But those options still exist.

The rest is consistently crappy, and being squelched by a superior entertainment product. So let BI use all this DayZ cash to give us the necessary MP infrastructure. Until then, it's survival of the fittest.

There was your problem.

There was your problem.
I'm completely aware.

But Day Z doesn't hurt clans, only the public MP that was already moribund.