Sign in to follow this  
erupter

Amd 7970: antialiasing unusable

The FXAA apparently did it for me.

No glitches so far.

For now I'll stick with no antialias.

Much less hassle.

Why not try PPAA? Its much more efficient than traditional AA.

All you have to do is install the latest beta patch, edit OA's config file, change PPAA=0 to PPAA=3

Leave AA disabled via the in-game menu.

Trust me about the beta patch, it won't cause you any headaches because:

a) it's just as stable if not more stable than the official patch

b) it includes hundreds of bugfixes and optimisations (just check-out the changelog)

c) it installs parallel to the official patch, i.e. if you don't like the beta, no need to roll-back

Edited by domokun

Why not try PPAA? Its much more efficient than traditional AA.

All you have to do is install the latest beta patch

I downloaded it and it's an installer.

I expected just an exe.

I have steam, and I mostly play MP with my clan (almost no single at all) so I'd gladly miss any potential problems deriving from differing versions between battleye, server/client, steam version, etc.

Moreover using the command line link for the steam version never worked for me, so I'm stuck with using advanced properties from steam app.

So I think I'll stick with official and use FXAA.

I downloaded it and it's an installer.

I expected just an exe.

I have steam, and I mostly play MP with my clan (almost no single at all) so I'd gladly miss any potential problems deriving from differing versions between battleye, server/client, steam version, etc.

Moreover using the command line link for the steam version never worked for me, so I'm stuck with using advanced properties from steam app.

So I think I'll stick with official and use FXAA.

I'm not sure what the problem is with an installer vs exe but your concerns about version incompatibilities between BE, server/client & steam are unfounded.

All beta patches are 1.60 compatible. So if your server is running 1.60, there are no issues with running a beta.

As for problems in getting the beta to run on Steam, I'm afraid I can't help you because I didn't get OA through Steam but several others in my clan have been running betas on their Steam versions for years now.

If you are serious about OA, do yourself a favour and get the beta.

I understand that it's frustrating, I myself wonder why BI hasn't rolled all these betas into an official 1.61 patch.

But that's the way its been for several years now and I can't see it changing any time soon...

Regarding the beta 1.61 patch, does it have a Combined Operations executable file? Can one launch CO with the patch?

If so, how does one make that happen?

Thanks!

Since Arma1 (2006?) all betas work have worked in the same fashion, the zip archive contains an installer.

Executing the installer causes it to install an executable (arma2oa.exe) to a dedicated directory (...\Arma2\Expansions\beta IIRC) and create a shortcut in A2's root folder.

The beta shortcut has a different target line ("..\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@CBA...), so when you run the beta shortcut you run the beta executable.

This leaves your original A2 executable (1.60) untouched as well as all your A2 shortcuts.

Once you get the hand, you can delete and update your beta in less than a minute.

The only aspect which isn't very intuitive is the removal of old betas; you're better off simply deleting the "beta" folder rather than using the beta's uninstaller

Where does one find the 1.61 patch? I found the 1.60 beta build that Dwarden just posted to day. Works a treat! No more white bushes with AA. However, AA still a performance killer. Liking FXAA much better.

I would like to try the PPAA, but that is only implemented in 1.61 beta. I don't see it in the cfg file for the 1.60 beta build that was posted today.

There is no 1.61 patch.

The closest thing are the 1.60 beta patches.

Like I said earlier, don't use AA but PPAA.

Like I said earlier PPAA is available via the 1.60 beta patches.

IIRC the latest beta patches no longer offer FXAA but only PPAA.

Check-out this list of tried and tested tweaks for more details:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Is PPAA located in the My Documents/ARMA2OA.cfg? I'm running the latest 1.60 beta build posted yesterday & it's not in that cfg file, FXAA is. I tried to edit to add PPAA, but when Combined Operations ran, it noted a PPAA error.

Is PPAA located in the My Documents/ARMA2OA.cfg? I'm running the latest 1.60 beta build posted yesterday & it's not in that cfg file, FXAA is. I tried to edit to add PPAA, but when Combined Operations ran, it noted a PPAA error.

Are you using the beta patch?

@Nicholas

Yes, I'm using the latest beta patch. I did edit the cfg file successfully and I was able to use the PPAA. I'm not sure what happened initially with the PPAA error.

@erupter

The beta patch works well & solves the white bushes / AA thing. The beta patch executable also fires up Combined Operations, if you have it. : p You should give it a try, just create a shortcut for the beta patch exe on your desktop for easier access. One of the best features of the patch is that one can load / unload mods from within the game from the Expansion button.

Thanks All.

Having upgraded my cpu I am now able to run the game at full details.

This led me to elevate the Anisotropic Filtering level to "very high".

And the white snow effect magically disappeared!

So doing some tests I discovered that the "high" level is what causes this: both "normal" and "very high" are immune (very very light presence of flecks with very high, almost unnoticeable. they appeared just on a tree when I was very near).

All without the betas.

Hope this helps!

Having upgraded my cpu I am now able to run the game at full details.

!

what you upgrade ? CPU ?can you give more details please ?

what you upgrade ? CPU ?can you give more details please ?

Everything but the video card.

Old pc:

Q6600

Asus p5e

4gb ram

Radeon 7970

Enermax liberty 620

Creative audigy 2zs

New pc

I7 2600

Asrock z77 extreme 6

8gb ram

Radeon 7970

Antec high power 1200

Asus xonar d2x

I seriously doubt any of this has anything to do with the problem, all the more because as I said it's still there, depending on graphic options.

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

Everything but the video card.

Old pc:

Q6600

Asus p5e

4gb ram

Radeon 7970

Enermax liberty 620

Creative audigy 2zs

New pc

I7 2600

Asrock z77 extreme 6

8gb ram

Radeon 7970

Antec high power 1200

Asus xonar d2x

I seriously doubt any of this has anything to do with the problem, all the more because as I said it's still there, depending on graphic options.

replacing to new chipset give you at least 200% performance boost and may be 7 series graphic card was not suitable to use with it and aa on.

replacing to new chipset give you at least 200% performance boost and may be 7 series graphic card was not suitable to use with it and aa on.

Which part of "I still have the problem" isn't clear to you?

The problem is still there, and I bet it's due to the Radeon since it appeared with it, and has stayed even with everything else different.

I only found a setting, which has become usable thanks to the new performance of the rest of the pc, that minimizes the problem.

But the problem is still there.

problem can be anywhere included unusual places.Last days I found errors for example in russian win7.People get copy of win7 install download russian pack and some program stopped working.

I suggest you install english windows 7 get all updates and NOT BETA drivers install game and not changing any settings it should work.When you will get working game you can play with settings.

problem can be anywhere included unusual places.Last days I found errors for example in russian win7.People get copy of win7 install download russian pack and some program stopped working.

I suggest you install english windows 7 get all updates and NOT BETA drivers install game and not changing any settings it should work.When you will get working game you can play with settings.

Win 7 pro 64 sp1 english bought and installed three days ago (system formatted), all updates performed automatically.

Video drivers 12.6 whql (not beta).

Still the problems is there.

Any more tech support style advices?

Any more tech support style advices?

check other games - if you sure that card itself works fine mean that some kind of software problems in your installations.

Another guy I know of is having problems with antialiasing on his 7970M, only way to get decent results is disabling it.

But in his case I suspect the custom drivers he is forced to use given the custom nature of his laptop (clevo 170em).

Yeah thats a normal AA issue with certain settings. Glad you could up your AF with your new rig. You can use 16x AF from the CCC game settings. And the 12.7 Beta is a good Driver.

But if all is working then hold the updates and just play.

You can set the type of AA in the CCC also, it may help; Mutisample---Adaptive--SuperSample. And Box to Edgedetect. I rarely ever see the wacky white stuff. In game I use 6AA or veryhigh(4x) all the rest are veryhigh even Vidmem, no PP(maybe verylow). Rez can be 1900/1200, 1600/1200, and even 1280/1024 (when i really max the AA) What ever keeps my Vsync up, to the map/mission. I like FXAAsharp, SMAA looks blurry? Not sure why?

Then there is the color saturation i like mine set to 180+, in the CCC.

swith toward dumb/failsafe, but slow FSAA. ENFORCE V-Sync !!

also try "edge-detect" filter ;)

Edited by BasileyOne

I have aa in-game on ‘Low’ settings, also as I’m running the new 1.62 patch/beta, I have the in-game fxaa setting as ‘Sharp filter - High’ which gives an effect of very high aa without any performance hit (click the pic again for full size). In the configs before, when I was running 1.60 with beta, I would set PPAA=2 & PPAA_Level=2, same results really.

This is using HD5850 toxic 2gb.

Don’t know if any of this will help..

I have a 7970 waiting for arma 3, so will be interested to see what happens here, any tips ideas welcome concerning the 7970 3gb, hope it performs as well as, or even better than my 5850 2gb, which has been a diamond of a card...

@ ChrisB; Your 7970 should up your FPS by 25+(30). As for your AA settings, i see alot of jaggies that would annoy me, low is 2X, I find 6X to be really good for wires and edges, but it will use allot of resources. Its all subjective anyways, some people play with no AA at all , I couldnt do that.

@ ChrisB; Your 7970 should up your FPS by 25+(30). .

I'll be very happy then, I'm running around 66fps on that pic (Podagorsk, heavy terrain) so I should go to around 90-100fps :butbut:, just can't see that myself though.. There again I'm not going to be using my 7970 on arma 2, just arma 3, get enough performance with what I have, well enough for my needs.;)