Sign in to follow this  
tekgun2

Is this what we can expect in the future.

I was really disappointed when I installed TOH and started it up to see advertising for Facebook. I don't expect to find advertising inside software that is paid for, I think it looks cheap and tacky and to be honest I'm sick of seeing FB everywhere.

So can I expect the same in ArmA3? I hope not, BI your my favourite developer but I hope this is not going to be the future.

th_TakeOnH2012-06-0917-26-54-96.jpg

Aren't they just pointing out their social channels, including Twitter and such? This isn't exactly "advertising for Facebook".

You're crying about nothing.

Yep and probably will get even more worse in the future...

Yeah, that isn't advertising anything that I can see. Social media is one of the best ways to group people together and also is a great way to ask a question about a product. That sort of thing is integral to modern society now.:)

I also thought it looked rather tacky. I think they should have those buttons in the credit page or something. I believe that in this case, them pointing out and drawing attention to their social media pages would be considered advertising.

Definition of Advertise: Describe or draw attention to (a product, service, or event) in a public medium in order to promote sales or attendance.

I also thought it looked rather tacky. I think they should have those buttons in the credit page or something. I believe that in this case, them pointing out and drawing attention to their social media pages would be considered advertising.

Definition of Advertise: Describe or draw attention to (a product, service, or event) in a public medium in order to promote sales or attendance.

So if they have a link to their forum or their website in the game it would also be advertising, right? Somehow I don't think many people would be complaining about that.

This whole issue is rooted in a very subjective and specific objection to certain social media sites, as seen in the cherry picking of Facebook ("advertising for Facebook"). If it was just YouTube, the forums and perhaps Twitter, I bet this thread would not exist.

Any kind of link that would promote or draw attention to their forum or social media pages I would consider advertising. Because it is. I'm not saying it is bad, but it looks rather tacky right on the main menu screen. Perhaps if they just added a few links that would be added to the start menu or desktop during the installation that could later be removed by the user. Or at least place the links on the credits menu. But not right on the main menu where its the first thing you see.

I like the way that the Carrier Command beta did it. They show you those links and everything when you exit the game.

So if they have a link to their forum or their website in the game it would also be advertising, right? Somehow I don't think many people would be complaining about that.

This whole issue is rooted in a very subjective and specific objection to certain social media sites, as seen in the cherry picking of Facebook ("advertising for Facebook"). If it was just YouTube, the forums and perhaps Twitter, I bet this thread would not exist.

True that!

At any rate, their aim is probably to encourage participation in the community and the beta program, not specifically Facebook. Facebook is a contact method as well. Would a phone number for BIS HQ be advertising too?

I'd just like to point out that I don't have a problem with the fact that they are advertising, but where they have placed it.

the fact that they are advertising

But they're "advertising" themselves?

Really? How many hours you spent looking at the main menu?

Jesus Christ.... The "hate" towards Steam I can understand but this is too much.

I once got arrested for that.

I once got arrested for that.

Which part of yourself were you advertising? And where? ;)

Yes. You can advertise or "promote" yourself.

Really? How many hours you spent looking at the main menu?

Jesus Christ.... The "hate" towards Steam I can understand but this is too much.

I never said I hated it, in fact, no one in this thread has said they hated it. Only that it didn't look very good to have advertising right on the main menu. I know you or I might not spend much time looking at the main menu, but it is the first thing you see after all the launch logos.

I think they could have better placed them, such as when you exit the game a screen comes up telling you to join the community here, etc. Just like how Carrier Command: Gaea Mission does it.

Edited by Andre

Indeed they could.

Where those links should be: the user manual (printed or PDF formats)

A printed link? :thud:

Jesus Christ, you people have problems.

We have problems because of our personal opinions? I think you have a problem for not respecting our opinions.

Jesus Christ, you people have problems.

in fact they don't have problems, so they create some/ hence this sort of topic

in fact they don't have problems, so they create some/ hence this sort of topic

PuFu. I'm sure this thread wasn't created to start problems. One of the primary reasons that Bohemia Interactive created this forum is so players can express their opinions and ideas about the game. If you feel that someone creating a thread to express their opinions is trying to create problems, you need to take a look in the mirror. It's people like you that come into these threads and do not add anything useful to the discussion. You're the one creating the "problems". If you have such a problem with these threads, report them if you feel they are in violation of the forum rules. There is no need for you to come into these kinds of threads to tell people that they have problems or are creating threads to have problems. You need to respect other people's opinions.

(Sorry for any grammatical or punctuation errors, this was typed on my phone.)

Edited by Nicholas

You are allowed to have opinions, and people are allowed to express opinions about those opinions. For instance, Mr. Charles evidently believes that the issues in this thread are paltry, and the opinions expressed are out of proportion with the situation. Pufu is supporting that assertion. I don't see what is causing problems here. On topic discussion does not necessarily mean escalating, recirculating pointless debates. I think the supposition that something is rather beneath heated discussion is a valid point.

come into these threads and do not add anything useful to the discussion.

I dont think there is anything useful to add to a "discussion" about the game having links to its community social sites built in?

Clearly BIS thinks its a good idea, and judging by the amount of activity on said social sites it is. So I doubt they're going to change it because a handful of people dont like having facebook or twitter ICONS on their menu screen...

you can expect us to use in future what we deem important to support or use ...

you simple can't expect us to ignore the social sites, mobile devices, touchscreen era or similar ...

but we will try do it in way that it's not going to annoy You that much or at all ...

we will try to make these 'features' be worthwhile and useful ...

just like with BIForum and our websites ...

Nice answer, I do appreciate that due to the popularity of certain social networks it is almost unavoidable for companies to make use of the access they can give to the user base. I just don't like the way it was the first thing I saw when booting up the game, like I said it just seemed a little tacky.

Maybe adding these features in the menu system would be a cleaner way of doing it.