Placebo

Bad serial number given in setup - use this thread for help

I have bought Arma 2 CO and i have shitty internet so it would take forever to download it. is there anyway i can use the serial number i was given to verify the game files i got from a friend? (fully installed it just gives me bad key at startup). Also where should i put the files? (i have put them in the bohemia ineractive foler (along with the arma battle eye folder and my arma2 free folder) Is there anyway becouse otherwise it would take FOREVER to download it.

Nope, you won't be able to simply activate a key with copied game files. Running the installer is the only way.

Perhaps your friend can download the installer for you. ;)

I have recently begun to want to play ArmA II and Day Z again. To make sure I had a clean start I deleted the local content of ArmA II and OA. After reinstalling I ran ArmA II which ran perfectly fine but OA and the subsequent Beta Patch gave me the Error in the Title. Knowing I couldn't have possibly gotten the CD Code wrong as it was Automatic, I came to these forums. The Troubleshooting section devoted to my error and the "Working Solution" had no effect on the error. I don't know what is wrong and would really like to return as a consumer to the ArmA series before ArmA III's Release. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I bought a physical copy of ArmA 2 OA last year. I have it installed on my laptop, but I recently bought a gaming computer and I want to transfer it.

I found the case and one disc (I'm not sure if it is a 2 disc installation.) I am missing the serial key. How could I transfer the game from my laptop to my new computer? Would I need to get the serial from the registry or the ArmA 2 files? If it is a two-disc, do I need to call someone to get new discs after I find my serial? Do I even need the discs? Sorry for all the questions, the new computer pretty much was all the money I had.

I was following Placebo's steps, and i got four files, but is "KEY" supposed to be only zeroes ?

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9043/67433333.jpg (168 kB)

<a  href=http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/9043/67433333.jpg' alt='67433333.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

---------- Post added at 21:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Ive just reinstalled ArmA 2 OA, seems to be working, patching now...

I have absolutely tried everything! :mad:

1) Changing the Permissions to allow my account to Run as Administrator.

2) Re-installed Arma 2 & Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead.

3) Running Steam itself as Adminisrator.

Nothing works at all to get rid of the "Bad Serial Number".

Also when I try to Verify the integrity of both Arma 2 & Arma 2:OA It says that " 1 file(s) failed to validate and will be retrieved.

I don't know where to go from here and turst me it's extremely tiresome to have to put in 4+ hours to get DayZ running!

If anyone could offer me a new solution, it would be very helpful. - IVI( Future DayZ Player)

Hello,

couple of days ago I bought Arma 2 Combined Operations on Steam and I can't get it to work because of the "Bad serial number given in setup" bug.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, running bootcamped on a MacBookPro 15'' mid 2009 with some minor hardware tweaks (that should be unrelated to this issue).

I tried running Steam as administrator (even though the user I'm currently using has admin permissions).

I tried deleting any Bohemia Interactive related keys in regedit and then restarting Steam and verifying the cache of both Arma2 and OA.

I tried to reinstall Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA from scratch (deleting any Bohemia Interactive related folders on my computer).

I tried rebooting.

I tried verifying the cache like a hundred times.

I tried running directly Arma 2 as admin.

I tried contacting Bohemia for support - no answers yet.

Nothing of this worked so far and I'm getting kind of annoyed.

Is there some other workaround I can use? Maybe a manual way to insert the serial number (which by the way I can't get from Steam as it stucks loading to get it but never display it) in the regedit KEY?

Thank you in advance and feel free to ask me anything you could need to help me.

I've been having some serious troubleshooting issues. I originally had the "no entry" bug, but fixed it via a modline (-mod=D:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ArmA 2;EXPANSION;ca-nosplash). After fixing that although I get to the part on loadup where it says "Bohemia Interactive" then I get the bad serial message.

The method that seems to work for most is this one, but I am having a major problem with it.

I do the steps in blue I assume properly, but when I complete them the result (as highlighted in red) does not occur. I still only see "1 file named "(Default)" And type REG_SZ."

Anyone else running into this problem? Arma 2 runs fine, this problem only occurs when I attempt to run Operation Arrowhead. And before anyone asks, yes I've tried running it as an administrator.

I'm having the same issue also. Im running on Windows 8. It is extremely annoying, wish I could get a working solution.

Bought this during the steam sale. I've spent two long days trying to fix this. Restarted steam dozens upon dozens of times, running as admin, did the REGEDIT thing, restarted computer, disabled antivirus, verified integrity of game cache probably at least 50 times. It always says failed to validate 1 file, but it never actually downloads the new file. I have completely deleted everything related to Arma 2 and redownloading multiple times, get the same issue. I even went so far as to move my computer back to a week ago to make sure I got everything.

I can't even see my key, it gets stuck at retrieving key. But I do have my receipt, and my steam inventory history (actually it wasn't traded, so I don't even think my inventory history would record it...). Is there any way I can show this to the mods to get a direct download from the Arma 2 site? From the hundreds of Arma 2 threads I've read, this is a Steam issue. I have opened a ticket on steam asking for my key, or a new key. No reponse yet.

I've had issues before, usually with games with Games for Windows Live, and nothing has been as frustrating as this. I'd just like to play, and I don't know who I can turn to to fix it. I even got a friend that had the same problem to take control of my computer, do what he did, and not even that worked.

Just a thought... Could I transfer a friend's download to my computer and put in my Serial key somewhere (hopefully the key I can retrieve through Steam support) and get that to work? Since the problem is with Steam downloading it?

PC specs in case it matters:

Win7 64-bit

AMD Radeon 6770 HD

4 GB RAM

6 core processor @ 2.5 GHz

This is how I got Arma 2 OA working again.

1. Go to Steam's installation folder.

2. Delete everything there except "steam.exe" and "steamapps" folder.

3. Run "steam.exe" - Steam will reinstall itself automatically.

have followed all the suggestions in all the treads for the problem bad serial number given. uninstalled and reinstalled all copies, ran as administrator and followed steps in post to make sure I am designated as user with all the access. Spent HOURS today trying to fix this. Threads also just say problem has occured many times and has been answered. Yet people continue to have it and all solutions I have found in threads DO NOT Work. Please address a frequently reoccurring problem with this software. Waiting to here from you so I will e able to play this game. Trimaris

i saw a post that had a program that this guy said would spped up my pc so my game wont lag around ( i payed for 7 hours before incuding dayz and everything worked great). he said to run it while i was playing so i played OA and ran it and then i played and it didnt work so i turned off the game and glosed the program. well that program was a fatty virus (now removed) and now i get the message bad serial in start up when i hit the bohemia interatctive screen.

i bought the game yesterday off the arma 2 site (Download) (i sti have recipts and everything)

ive tryed deeting ArmA 2 OA in regedit and reinstaing it

reinstaed it 34279743224378873428times

run as admin

and 10+ other "solutions" at the top of this thread

and for the Working soution pointed to above, i tryed that and even when i give my self all permissions in the regedit i still only see 3 files defualt key and main

I as well have tried the whole registry-key checkup, reinstalling both Steam and the game itself numerous times, running as administrator - everything.

Best case scenario I get the game itself to start, but upon joining a server I am automatically kicked for "invalid CD Key", and nothing I do seems to be working.

HELP.

I have tried all of the steps within this thread and have still had no luck please help.

can somebody make a sticky note with this problem and the solution?

I have been having the same problem as many others. I cannot delete the ArmA 2 OA folder in Bohemia Interactive Studio (Registry Editor). My key shows as 000000000000000 and I can not change permission settings, I also open registry editor as admin.

I have tried everything and am not sure what to do.

Please help.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/nopermission.png/

Edited by Loader
Screenshot

Send an email to Support@bistudio.com that is always the official method of getting help if searching the forums/google for solutions fails to help.

I have a NON-STEAM version. I have tried all of the things from the sticky thread except for the ones involving REGEDIT. For some odd reason regedit will not let me change anything. I ran it as administrator, but that did nothing. Also my account is an Administrator.I have tried so many things. I have re-installed so many times i lost count. Please help me i love this game. Also i have sent multiple emails to bohemia support and have yet to get a reply.

Im having the same problem my key in regedit says 000000000000000 when i try to edit it will not allow, yes im running everything as admin.

Hi,i have had my arma 2 operation arrowhead for 2 weeks and it was playing fine until yesterday it has started saying bad serial etc. I have tryed your methods but is still saying bad serial etc is there anything i can do? Please help me.

thankyou

Hi,i have had my arma 2 operation arrowhead for 2 weeks and it was playing fine until yesterday it has started saying bad serial etc. I have tryed your methods but is still saying bad serial etc is there anything i can do? Please help me.

thankyou

Have you tried deleting the registry key containing the serial?

Run regedit as admin and delete "ArmA2 OA" under "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio]"(location for Win7 x64), then reinstall.

Yes i have tryed that about 3 times now and it does not help is there any other ways or do i just have to buy the game again?

Have you tried deleting the registry key containing the serial?

Run regedit as admin and delete "ArmA2 OA" under "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio]"(location for Win7 x64), then reinstall.