Sign in to follow this  
hazey

Evolution - FFA: BLUE v1.04c - Now with MHQ and Revive.

Development restarted with permission from eggbeast, will update with new name and new version.

Everyone thank eggbeats for allowing this to happen, weather I finish this project or someone else does. We really appreciate the chance!

Edited by Hazey

Hope you get the permissions issue sorted out - it's been very popular indeed on my server today. Ownership of Evo is a tough one to sort out - there are so many versions kicking about - I guess it was Kiljoy a long, long time ago. Not sure how the 'ownership' of the various branches are worked out after that!

Anyway, once the current game is finished I'll take it off my server until the issue is sorted.

Jedra, You don't have to remove it off your server. The issue with this is I never claimed ownership of evo. I don't want ownership of it. I just want it to fucking work right. You are more than welcome to keep running the mission.

Well, I say keep running the map. The only thing I am guilty of is trying to provide a better experience to the community. His version had nothing special in it, all that changed from the red version he took and his version was the classnames. I know because I looked, I simply could have by-passed him all together and remove his name, but I decided rather than re-invent the wheel I would just use those changed classfiles, the same thing I could have done.

Try to be nice and you get screwed. Go figure.

Kiljoy was original concept designer of Evolution Blue/Red back in ArmA 1 days. Than since ArmA2 release it has slowly evolved into various forms. I have yet to see anything from Kiljoy in several years. Evolution Red FFA is an ArmA2.RU map by WIN ported over to IF. I don't understand why it's such a big deal to improve on it for playability being theres not alot of maps like that to choose from on IF, expecially with the popularity of the map.

What I don't understand is how you can not get permission when he only did the same and edited someone else's port :confused:.

HAZ

Hello there

Without adding fuel to the flames, why not just redo a blue version from scratch and avoid his/her coding / class name replacement alltogether?

Or has the chap/chapess in question secured "rights" to only do it him/herself?

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

Without adding fuel to the flames, why not just redo a blue version from scratch and avoid his/her coding / class name replacement alltogether?

Or has the chap/chapess in question secured "rights" to only do it him/herself?

Rgds

LoK

See I could, and that is what I was stating I could do. Check this forum post here.

http://forum.iron-front.com/showthread.php?559-Evolution-FFA-BLUE-v1-04c-Now-with-MHQ-and-Revive

The only issue with that, is my code would not change at all. Nothing would change because what he did was basic and minimal. Just changed the LIB from Russian units to German. Not even that good either, seeing as german units where added as enemy's in town causing a all out war on spawn...

That's a pretty big bug to release a map in. That's why I fixed it.

and HAZ, I agree 100% but he is a BIDEV. He gets special privileges because he has a some text next to his name that says he is better then you.

Hello

yes I'm aware of the thread there.

It would be nice to get Vandrel's take on this.

Regardless, it's a fairly moot point as the mission is out there.

But, as was pointed out to me recently, if you read the forum rules, editing a mission without the original editors permission can get you into alot of hot water.

I too made a similar faux pas as you did, without meaning any harm.

It may seem counter intuitive but the rules are there, whether they apply to IFL is another thing.

As to vandrel being a mod/dev etc, it may be that he got permission behind the scenes or indeed is kiljoy etc etc etc.

Let's see how it plays out.

Rgds

LoK

from A1, A2 and OA point of view - I PM'd kiljoy over many years to secure rights to continuewith evolution but never received an answer. After 3 years, Armaholic and armedassault.info agreed to host my versions as Kiljoy has long ago left the community.

Since then, Razor and Psychobastard and I have maintained our own versions for A2, but given that it was not ourwork to begin with, we have never sought to prevent anyone from adapting it - obviously.

If someone does remake the mission from scratch they would be wise to call it something else i suppose in order to protect it.

If someone takes my work (and it has been years of adaptation, working with many scripters, modders and island makers in the community) and develops it - I say no problem, BUT please don't call it GITS as we wouldn't be able to support bugs/errors easily if it's not our code.

Looks like in IF44 someone has ported evo and then someone else has ported it with a few changes. I don't see a problem with this UNLESS the author of the first release rewrote it from scratch. If they did, they shouldprobably call itsomethingelse as Evo is now generally accepted as "built by kiljoy, community owned"

cheers

Egg

Yup just waiting for someone to release true Evo based for IF like the original simalar to the ArmA2/OA versions would try it myself but would do more harm than good 8)- I heard theres one in the works but guess we'll have to wait an see.

from A1, A2 and OA point of view - I PM'd kiljoy over many years to secure rights to continuewith evolution but never received an answer. After 3 years, Armaholic and armedassault.info agreed to host my versions as Kiljoy has long ago left the community.

Since then, Razor and Psychobastard and I have maintained our own versions for A2, but given that it was not ourwork to begin with, we have never sought to prevent anyone from adapting it - obviously.

If someone does remake the mission from scratch they would be wise to call it something else i suppose in order to protect it.

If someone takes my work (and it has been years of adaptation, working with many scripters, modders and island makers in the community) and develops it - I say no problem, BUT please don't call it GITS as we wouldn't be able to support bugs/errors easily if it's not our code.

Looks like in IF44 someone has ported evo and then someone else has ported it with a few changes. I don't see a problem with this UNLESS the author of the first release rewrote it from scratch. If they did, they shouldprobably call itsomethingelse as Evo is now generally accepted as "built by kiljoy, community owned"

cheers

Egg

Great, this is exactly what I might do. Thanks for the chance to port over your version of evo. Ill make sure to provide credit and I will change the name so your don't get bug reports. If you saw a bit what happened to my thread on forum.iron-front.com its all kind of a joke.

Hello there

Unless something else crops up and stops you porting it, I have to say I love Egg's version of evo both on and offline.

It's superb that he will let it come over to IFL. Kudos

If you can get that ported you'll be doing the IFL community a big favour indeed.

Rgds

LoK

cheers

Egg

It was me that took a port and made A LOT of changes ;) in an attempt to get it to run a little bit smoother. None of the code was scratch although I did include one file from xeno in there that did a vehicle repair that I found on the open net. I since removed it, Not that it matters anymore since I have stopped development on that version.

Hello there

Unless something else crops up and stops you porting it, I have to say I love Egg's version of evo both on and offline.

It's superb that he will let it come over to IFL. Kudos

If you can get that ported you'll be doing the IFL community a big favour indeed.

Rgds

LoK

I will do my best, those of you that did get a chance to play the version of evo I was working on could tell you that it was starting to shape up to a pretty cool map.

Edited by Hazey

For the peeps involved in making the evo & dom missions. the whole community knows who who are and your names are set in stone forever. Now how may I get the file and put it on my server so we can all play it 4 life;)