Sign in to follow this  
DemonMustang

Too much muzzle flash and reload animations?

Hi, this is the MF of a H&K 416 shooting with a muzzle breaker (standard piece on all the military ARs & MGs):

IMG_4108.sized.jpg

Now a 9x19 (aka 9 Parabellum or 9 Para), no muzzle breaker, by night though NVD:

XD9mmSubCompactNV1.jpg

They don't seem that big, and by the day you dont see the MF, but it can be seen much better (like three times more) by the late dawn and early dusk; i insist in that the bigger problem that i see with the MFs is their solidity 1St and then, later on... their size. Let's C ya

By the book? No

On the field? basicly everything that can be put on and then removed without the help of gunsmith can be used as long as you can return the rifle into its original configuration for the sake of inspection or going home. Non standard equipment are widely used by US troops during afghanistan and iraq campaign, and I don't think I need to tell you how SF guys treat their weapon.

I think you were right about the reloads, its probably a scripting thing that will come in the final stages of game development, and I'm sure its fairly simple to do as its a feature of every major shooter now, from Battlefield to CoD. However, I think you're wrong about the muzzle flash. Most real guns have the muzzle built with a flash suppressor by default as it does indeed get in the way and show your position. However, films aren't completely wrong. An un-suppressed weapon can have a very large flash. The only reason that in many videos you see of guns shooting the flash is very rarely seen has to do with the way a camera works and not the gun itself. Camera's shoot on average, 30 frames per second. This can of course be changed on some cameras, but 24 frames and 30 frames are the standard. If your camera takes 24 or 30 stills in a second, and the gun is shooting, the rapid release of heated gases from the end of the barrel won't always time up to be exactly in sync with the camera taking a frame. Plus, its hard to see a flash in broad daylight because the sun saturates the light from the gases.

By the book? No

On the field? basicly everything that can be put on and then removed without the help of gunsmith can be used as long as you can return the rifle into its original configuration for the sake of inspection or going home. Non standard equipment are widely used by US troops during afghanistan and iraq campaign, and I don't think I need to tell you how SF guys treat their weapon.

Not at all related to why I asked that. This is a quote from the post: "(standard piece on all the military ARs & MGs)" Attention on the word "standard."

---------- Post added at 20:39 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

I think you were right about the reloads, its probably a scripting thing that will come in the final stages of game development, and I'm sure its fairly simple to do as its a feature of every major shooter now, from Battlefield to CoD. However, I think you're wrong about the muzzle flash. Most real guns have the muzzle built with a flash suppressor by default as it does indeed get in the way and show your position. However, films aren't completely wrong. An un-suppressed weapon can have a very large flash. The only reason that in many videos you see of guns shooting the flash is very rarely seen has to do with the way a camera works and not the gun itself. Camera's shoot on average, 30 frames per second. This can of course be changed on some cameras, but 24 frames and 30 frames are the standard. If your camera takes 24 or 30 stills in a second, and the gun is shooting, the rapid release of heated gases from the end of the barrel won't always time up to be exactly in sync with the camera taking a frame. Plus, its hard to see a flash in broad daylight because the sun saturates the light from the gases.

Except I'm not only going by what I see in videos. Notice the video I posted was of ME shooting at night, and I can vouch that the amount of flash you see in that video is pretty much exactly what I saw while shooting it...

As for reloading anims, I hope to see more and more detailed videos of those. God I love thessseeeee.

look at 8.36 i'm bit worried

fF9OvmjE4A0

look at 8.36 i'm bit worried

Nothing happening at 8:36.

I like the MG reloading anim too, despite the clipping issues with the sight.

the mg haven't the moving parts, and the (glock?) has the old animations...... but i hope only for the alpha

the mg haven't the moving parts, and the (glock?) has the old animations...... but i hope only for the alpha

You can see the feed plate open, its a little flap.

I was thinking about how this could be done. In a game like BF3 it probably is not such problem since game deals only in rounds left, not magazines like Arma. Arma also, as you all know, counts how many rounds each magazine has left.

Something like this came to mind, example (colors indicate state of counter on HUD, if weapon is ready to fire):

-You would start with

+1

-Empty whole magazine

+0

-Perform changing magazine animation

+0

-*Check if any rounds in chamber, if not, perform cocking animation

+1

-*If round is in chamber then

+1

So, game would always check if weapon is ready to fire after "tactical reload animation / switching magazine animation", "remove" one round from magazine inserted and do cocking animation if necessary.

They have a lot of work done since they have dry reload animation already. They need to split the animations and add some checks.

Now I am not a programer so this is probably way more complicated but I think principle should be somehow right. What do you guys think?

Hi, i was reffering to the muzzle breaker as piece, not to that particular muzzle breaker that is illustrated on the picture; i'd shoot a CETME L a couple of times by night and some more times under low light (dusk & dawn) conditions, also inside poorly or just non iluminated buildings. the CETME L muzzle breaker is the same one that the M-16 A2 or the CETME C (the G3 father), with this kind of muzzle breaker... the "flames" of the shot don't interfere with the shooters sight at low fire rates; the MG3 carryers sure that have other perception... but they don't even have a "true muzzle breaker".

The modern cartridges aside of release less smoke they also emit less flash; this doesn't happen with 80s rounds or even rounds from the 90s that are not that "smokeless".

In game therms, the main problems that i'd seen with the muzzle flames of the game are two; A) the game's HDR. B) the muzzle flash texture is too solid, also... the fact that is made out of half transparent plains placed in a way that create a volumetric ilusion instead be a volumetric artifact that be really volumetric, may be a big part of the problem; im not sure that the game's engine allow to change the current muzzle flashes to true volumetric ones, made out of particles.

The main problem that i'd always found with the weapons anims... was how the units hold each weapon, they don't hold the weapon as looking through the aiming elements (rear sight & aim point), letting aside the optics like Aimpoints, ACOGs or any other; all the anims are weapon ready anims instead aiming anims, unsighted shoulder fire anims. Change this would require a huge amount of work and weapon (and weapon bearer) specific anims.

With the anims... that's just the tip of the F iceberg... and i doubt that this field change very much from the point that we know already, the muzzle flashes thing could have an easyer solution but i still don't belive that it gets fixed. Let's C ya

I think the muzzle flashes and animations for reload are great, if you get spotted when firing in the dark, it adds an extra challenge, and a nightfight would look beautiful ingame, and as for the reload animations, what is wrong with it? its more realistic, as the magazine is now animated to be removed, and ill be damned if you say its too slow, and is it a big deal if you have the same animation reload for whether it is a dry reload or not? in real life, maybe you save two seconds of reloading by not sliding the (i dont know what the thingy is called) and in arma we all reload behind cover right? :P I'd rather let the dev's worry about other, more important features than this generally aesthetically related feature. or leave it to a modder

I was thinking about how this could be done. In a game like BF3 it probably is not such problem since game deals only in rounds left, not magazines like Arma. Arma also, as you all know, counts how many rounds each magazine has left.

Something like this came to mind, example (colors indicate state of counter on HUD, if weapon is ready to fire):

-You would start with

+1

-Empty whole magazine

+0

-Perform changing magazine animation

+0

-*Check if any rounds in chamber, if not, perform cocking animation

+1

-*If round is in chamber then

+1

So, game would always check if weapon is ready to fire after "tactical reload animation / switching magazine animation", "remove" one round from magazine inserted and do cocking animation if necessary.

They have a lot of work done since they have dry reload animation already. They need to split the animations and add some checks.

Now I am not a programer so this is probably way more complicated but I think principle should be somehow right. What do you guys think?

If necessary, you may add the pseudo dry-fire with cartridge in a chamber without a mag. (Some particular firearm won't work with it)

+1

-*If round is in chamber without a magazine (or magazine is empty)