Sign in to follow this  
DemonMustang

Too much muzzle flash and reload animations?

I don't think they are excessive, it all looks pretty bang on to me, and the fact you have to choose your gear correctly to hide it adds yet more realism to the gameplay.

i think it is pretty obvious that the 6.5 MX rifle is long enough and has a flash HIDER to warrant almost no flash.

600px-Arma3gl.jpg

unless there is some property of the 6.5 caseless cartridge that makes a huge flash there is no reason other than "ooooh shiny" to those flashes. the best BIS flashes thus far is the current (SMALL) SCAR flashes in ArmA2. ( in one of the videos i could have sworn that jay or ivan said the US is using caseless ammo, but we see ejection ports? and cases in a couple instances? or maybe they are just polymer cases)

and bear in mind the new US army M855A1 556mm round is designed to produce even less flash then the older issued M855 ammo (what most of us have seen and used). clearly the US DOD would want to carry over that characteristic into a new service rifle and cartridge

the thing that actually worries me a tiny bit it the complete lack of any gun smoke from any weapon fire.

the thing that actually worries me a tiny bit it the complete lack of any gun smoke from any weapon fire.

By smoke, I think you actually mean dust: review all of E3 2012 videos regarding firing while prone and your fears will (probably) be averted, unless I have missed this (minor) detail. ;)

Lack of gunpowder/carbon smoke can be explained by ubertech synthesised ignition powder used in the new calibre cartridges. Going green, while the red also continues to flow. :icon_twisted:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

i think it is pretty obvious that the 6.5 MX rifle is long enough and has a flash HIDER to warrant almost no flash.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/0/06/Arma3gl.jpg/600px-Arma3gl.jpg

unless there is some property of the 6.5 caseless cartridge that makes a huge flash there is no reason other than "ooooh shiny" to those flashes. the best BIS flashes thus far is the current (SMALL) SCAR flashes in ArmA2. ( in one of the videos i could have sworn that jay or ivan said the US is using caseless ammo, but we see ejection ports? and cases in a couple instances? or maybe they are just polymer cases)

and bear in mind the new US army M855A1 556mm round is designed to produce even less flash then the older issued M855 ammo (what most of us have seen and used). clearly the US DOD would want to carry over that characteristic into a new service rifle and cartridge

How do you know that the flash hider seen there isn't an attachment?

because thats how rifles are built. they have a flash hider at the end that goes bang. just look at it. its pretty simple. all the MX rifles we have seen have had this "hider" with a flame-thrower like flash at night.

unless BIS is really going into so much detail as to have custom flash hiders (choose none, bird cage, prong, whirl etc etc, with the extra option of suppressors), i think its safe to assume that the false hider is "default".

They just need fine tunning, this topic is over dramatic.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/0/06/Arma3gl.jpg/600px-Arma3gl.jpg

I didn't even notice that. The muzzle device you're looking at is a Smith Industries Vortex flash suppressor, one of the most effective flash suppressors on the market.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.04.html

This footage was filmed by yours truly in Sadr City, mid-afternoon 2009. Bohemia have got the muzzle flash bang on. Case closed.

ZMXXQbTSQmI&feature=plcp

New slogan for Arma 3.

If you release the flash, its to late.

Don´t forget that BI was at a real shooting range and did fire weapons and so the recreate what they did experienced.

Being realistic doesn't mean being different than every other first person/third person shooter game. Being realistic means being realistic.

Exactly!

/thread

I didn't even notice that. The muzzle device you're looking at is a Smith Industries Vortex flash suppressor, one of the most effective flash suppressors on the market.

Unless you use special camera such footage is worthless.

Alternatively you could use camera with long exposure times...

Any digital device that films at 24 fps has a great chance of missing events that are milliseconds long. On the other hand human eye does not have refresh rates and you will always see the flash and in its most developed shape.

The night vision catches those better because it has the afterimage effect by design, similar to human eye.

The vortex one does not seem all that effective, on a side note and it's similar type to the one MX uses on photograph.

I think Booster's footage shows what happens once in a blue moon when stars align and your refresh rate is in synch with the flash at its peak magnitude.

To "one-up" the caliber issue, I've fired my DSA SA58 (7.62x51mm) with a 16" barrel and a Phantom Flash Hider at night time and don't remember much of anything in terms of muzzle flash... I might have a video of it somewhere. Bare with me, I'll look for it when I get home and will try to post it.

To conclude this nonsense:

From time to time I get to shoot with an old AKS 47 with military ammunition. The muzzle flash is not so visible in daylight, but really big at night time. The muzzle flashes shown at E3 are perfect.

But the guns do need more smoke

(OK this video already has too much smoke, but you get the point)

I think they looked excited, way better than A2.

Especially the particle effect in the muzzle flash, just like the youtube video posted on page 1.

Go BIS :)

I've fired several rifles, pistols and even a shotgun or two at night. What made the biggest flash? My Colt 1911 Series 80 hands down. But, even then I STILL had to load up +P to make a nice big ball 'o flame. Standard milspec ammo in the 1911 made moderate to no flash each shot. The .44 revolver I fired (Ruger Super Redhawk), made surprisingly little flash. My Rock River AR15 with the hybrid comp/hider (standard A3 IIRC?), in low light and night time shooting made next to no visible flashes except for every now and then. My friend's AK47 made a bit of flash but it was not every shot, more like every fifth you'd get a little flash. And my 870 didn't make much at all if any.

I think what folks don't understand is there's a reason modern powder is called "smokeless". Go read the wikipedia article about it, just look up smokeless powder, it's a very good article. And I agree with what several have said, and I can tell you AS a handloader....there's a difference in powders used for civillian ammunition vs military. And, note too that milspec rounds are typically loaded hotter than their civillian counterparts.

The footage Booster posted I think is a perfect example. You DO INDEED see muzzle flashes....just not every shot fired...and not typically a brilliant ball but a quick flash of flame. As I understand it, it chances of flash increase with shots fired between cleanings.

I've fired several rifles, pistols and even a shotgun or two at night. What made the biggest flash? My Colt 1911 Series 80 hands down. But, even then I STILL had to load up +P to make a nice big ball 'o flame. Standard milspec ammo in the 1911 made moderate to no flash each shot. The .44 revolver I fired (Ruger Super Redhawk), made surprisingly little flash. My Rock River AR15 with the hybrid comp/hider (standard A3 IIRC?), in low light and night time shooting made next to no visible flashes except for every now and then. My friend's AK47 made a bit of flash but it was not every shot, more like every fifth you'd get a little flash. And my 870 didn't make much at all if any.

I think what folks don't understand is there's a reason modern powder is called "smokeless". Go read the wikipedia article about it, just look up smokeless powder, it's a very good article. And I agree with what several have said, and I can tell you AS a handloader....there's a difference in powders used for civillian ammunition vs military. And, note too that milspec rounds are typically loaded hotter than their civillian counterparts.

The footage Booster posted I think is a perfect example. You DO INDEED see muzzle flashes....just not every shot fired...and not typically a brilliant ball but a quick flash of flame. As I understand it, it chances of flash increase with shots fired between cleanings.

Thanks for your input. Give your 870 a try with 3" magnums. Those give a muzzle flash at night. But not as bright or as big as in this game still. Just a quick orange ball and that's it.

Thanks for your input. Give your 870 a try with 3" magnums. Those give a muzzle flash at night. But not as bright or as big as in this game still. Just a quick orange ball and that's it.

My favorite is still the .45ACP :) The shotty beats my shoulder up too much, just thinking about the 3" magnums (fired a few of those), makes me ache! I have an old neck injury on that side and I can only put about four rounds through my shotgun before I'm in a lot of pain :(

My favorite is still the .45ACP :) The shotty beats my shoulder up too much, just thinking about the 3" magnums (fired a few of those), makes me ache! I have an old neck injury on that side and I can only put about four rounds through my shotgun before I'm in a lot of pain :(

Phew, so I don't feel so bad anymore, lol. I've been shooting for about 20 years now, but have to admit the last year or more I haven't really gone to the range much. Between not having a lot of spare time and not having a lot of spare money for ammo and range fees, I just haven't found the time. But recently I took my 870 out to the range, bought a bunch of 2 3/4" 00-buck shot and 3" magnum 000-buck shots with me. And holy crap, the 3" magnums kicked my ass. Normally I square-off with the target, but with the 3" magnums I just HAD to put my right foot back a little because it was literally pushing me backwards when I was squaring my feet off with the target, lol. It's amazing how much of a difference that little bit of charge makes because the 2 3/4" 00-buck rounds were easy to fire... And yes, my shoulder was a bit sore after shooting off a few boxes of 3" magnums. I actually thought about just not shooting them anymore, but then was thinking what I'll do with the rest of the 3" rounds if I don't shoot them, lol. :-D

I'm somewhat tempted to take my camera and AR to the range tonight and see how big the muzzle flash is.

But don´t forget that the camera, depending on recording FPS might not really capture the flash.

Can still go by memory. Actually most of my videos come out almost exactly how I see it in real life in terms of the amount of muzzle flash. I think you guys underestimate how long the flash stays for. I shoot at 30fps and there's usually no difference between what I remember seeing and what I see when I play the video back. I looked a little for my video of me firing the FAL (SA58) at night, I'll look more today. A lot of folders to look through, lol.

As for reloading anims, I hope to see more and more detailed videos of those. God I love thessseeeee.

But don´t forget that the camera, depending on recording FPS might not really capture the flash.

I'm not talking about a video camera, I'm talking about my D5100. Just set it on a tripod, use my remote with the camera set to bulb mode and fire a shot while the shutter is open to see the muzzle flash.

the gist is that we do not want a flash over, all that are here then we go to compare gun barrels ranging between 16 "and 14.5" does not change a damn thing because there are very few inches, I can understand comparing rods 16 "barrels from 10.5 "(AR15) but also has the ammunition, I think we got too technical, just the end that reduce the flame.