Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Improved tone mapping for 1.61 proposal

Now the game looks like this. After latest beta. And it's not even night in that pic. Something like 20.00.

23uxvsm.jpg

love this change, but i agree it makes day time awesome but nighttime too dark even if the moon is out. chemsticks however make going much easier in the dark. probably a little adjusting needed for nights.

Who gives a shit about some obscure alpha mod?

Nighttime without goggles is unplayable now.

We have (or I guess "had" is the correct term now) lots of missions that feature night ops without NVG gear - all of those were perfectly playable yesterday; not easy to spot everything but this was intended. Tested a few today and suddenly I cant see shit anymore at all. Are all such missions supposed to go straight into the trash-bin now?

And if you added the pitch black night on purpose solely to counter this dayz gamma/brightness cheating or whatever and ruined "normal" nightops missions along the way then screw you. I hope your own zombies eat you. I mean really.

realism freaks start demanding "Filmic" now as default :)

I didn't realize in reality everything but sky was close to pitch black. At day. Just like in certain other game. :)

Nighttime without goggles is unplayable now.

We have (or I guess "had" is the correct term now) lots of missions that feature night ops without NVG gear - all of those were perfectly playable yesterday; not easy to spot everything but this was intended. Tested a few today and suddenly I cant see shit anymore at all. Are all such missions supposed to go straight into the trash-bin now?

And if you added the pitch black night on purpose solely to counter this dayz gamma/brightness cheating or whatever and ruined "normal" nightops missions along the way then screw you. I hope your own zombies eat you. I mean really.

make the mission at the right time. and all is like before!! you don´t have to throw missions in bin.

arma2 has a real moon time. that means, if you put in correct date in the mission than you can look at your calender and expect what moonphase you have and how much you see at night !!

so if the mission-files are updated in that case you will have nights you see good and nights you can´t see anything like in reallife. als if you have clouds its even getting darker.

i like the way it is. if you are in the woods without any moon you have pitch black.

just: deal with it ;)

Well, I can tell you why they give a shit: this "obscure" alpha mod has sold more copies of A2 and OA over the last month than the games have sold over their previous lifetimes. So, now when Dean Hall says "Jump!" BIS responds with "How high?"
Nighttime without goggles is unplayable now. We have (or I guess "had" is the correct term now) lots of missions that feature night ops without NVG gear - all of those were perfectly playable yesterday; not easy to spot everything but this was intended. Tested a few today and suddenly I cant see shit anymore at all. Are all such missions supposed to go straight into the trash-bin now?
Well, did those missions sell thousands of copies of ARMA? No? Well, again, you know the answer.
I totally agree about the night. But, even setting that aside for a second, the new tone mapping looks horrid in the daytime. No information in the blacks. Completely unrealistic and unacceptable. What I don't get is if Mr. Hall wants DayZ nightime to be unrealistically pitch black because he wants to force players into using the kewl chemlights and flares then that's one thing, but why is this crap being forced onto the rest of the ARMA community? DayZ is a mod; let them set their own tone mapping and leave the default game alone.

Secure those delicious salty tears, kids. As long as the changes are coming in the beta patches, it's all still a work in progress. Create a bug report with a repro and surely something will be done about it.

Secure those delicious salty tears, kids. As long as the changes are coming in the beta patches, it's all still a work in progress. Create a bug report with a repro and surely something will be done about it.
I don't want to be rude, but people have got to quit it with the "delicious tears" comments. It's patronizing, dismissive and troll-bating at its worst. As for a bug report: load up Chernarus on a bright, sunny day and look at some evergreen trees. Now, go look at some real evergreens. See the difference? Want something more scientific? Learn to use a spotmeter. Report back to me. A bonus hint: evergreens meter at zone V, which is one stop below caucasian skin at zone VI. Edit: I did some more investigating. Different 'shadow detail' setting have an unexpectedly large impact upon the look of the game. Try the above experiment with 'shadow detail' on 'normal' and then compare to 'disabled', for instance. Edited by Make Love Not War

I don't want to be rude, but people have got to quit it with the "delicious tears" comments. It's patronizing, dismissive and troll-bating at its worst. As for a bug report: load up Chernarus on a bright, sunny day and look at some evergreen trees. Now, go look at some real evergreens. See the difference? Want something more scientific? Learn to use a spotmeter. Report back to me. A bonus hint: evergreens meter at zone V, which is one stop below caucasian skin at zone VI.

And your comments about the people at BI being subservient to Rocket were... what... kind? Appropriate?

If you see a rule being broken, you may report it to a moderator. Otherwise I'd advise you to stay on topic.

§17) Report rule violations

If you see a violation of these rules on the forum, do not reply in the thread but send a PM to a moderator or use the "Report Post" report.gif button instead. Replying in the thread will be considered as spam. Reporting posts contributes to a well structured, well disciplined forum which benefits everyone.

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

I have to say that after playing for 2 dayZ with new tone mapping I definitely do not like it

The fact that the colors seems richer is countered by the fact that the contrast is set to high and shadows are way to dark.

A lot of detail is simply lost in shady areas.

Night time is a total screw up.

The title of thread is misleading, the tone mapping is not improved.

I dissaprove with all my heart.

To all "realism freaks" :p :

I'm for immersion not realism.

If you want realism rig a shotgun to your monitor to blow your head off when you die in game :computer:

what about provide some HD screens for compare of what's lost ... write CIT ticket about it ...

instead of just plain words critic, please something bit more helpful ..

And your comments about the people at BI being subservient to Rocket were... what... kind? Appropriate?
Sorry, I have a knack for hurting other people's feelings. I apologize.

what about provide some HD screens for compare of what's lost ... write CIT ticket about it ...

What is CIT?

Anyway:

Issue: The transitions from dark to light during daytime is weird.

Example: http://imgur.com/a/sX5MB

Sure indoor scenery gets darker when you're out in the light, but right now everything gets darker when you're in the light - even the areas that are lit by the sun.

Only the interior should be darkening up, not the floor atop the staircase aswell.

The light on the wall in the second pic is the strength of light that should be applied to the top floor of this tower, no?

Value-tweaked example: http://imgur.com/a/GUCmZ

Very rough value tinkering in PS, but I hope it illustrates my point decently.

Edited by Witherfield

what about provide some HD screens for compare of what's lost

New (912 kB)

Old (1687 kB)

New1 (1381 kB)

Old1 (1687 kB)

Edited by Danil-ch

i think the black is a little bit overdone. But maybe its difficult to find the sweet spot of the best tone mapping because dynamic daytime cycle. My solution since arma is: set the gamma-curve a little bit under 1. Oh man my horrible english....

93616_gamma=1.5:

93616gamma15brightness1.th.png

93701_gamma=1.5:

93701gamma15brightness1.th.png

*when you increase monitor brightness, you will see details coming out on 93616 but not on 93701.

Couple words about gamma adjustment:

When BF3 came out, I found out that it has terrible strain on my eyes.

That dark areas are way too dark and bright ones are over bright.

I found excellent page about proper monitor calibration and adjusting graphical settings.

Unfortunately I'm not able to provide a link at this time.

Anyway, the point was that not all monitors are top studio quality, able to display high contrast images with proper levels of black.

So what an average Joe should do was to lower the contrast and brightness and up gamma.

This would make picture a bit washed out, but all detail would be preserved and it would not have such a big strain on eyes.

With this new "improved tone mapping" I find that adjusting gamma doesn't do anything.

Some details of the picture are just gone.

True, true. Fair enough. CIT added:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32765

Thanks for your time, guys. Also, I would like to point out that even if some of us don't like or agree with these new tonal mapping changes, BIS, unlike so very many other developers, actually provides us with the option of setting our own tonal values via scripting command. So, if we want to play old night missions which have now been rendered overly dark and unplayable, it is still quite trivial to write an addon that adjusts the values to our liking. That is very cool and is very appreciated. Thanks guys. The concerns (rage?) stem from the fact that for multiplayer we cannot control those settings individually and must conform to what the server is running, which is usually the default, vanilla settings. In any case, again, thanks for your time.

93616_gamma=1.5:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9301/93616gamma15brightness1.th.png

93701_gamma=1.5:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2765/93701gamma15brightness1.th.png

*when you increase monitor brightness, you will see details coming out on 93616 but not on 93701.

No doubt there is some shadow clipping ocurring there. As it is, this should be considered a bug...

the gamma calibration site... could it be lagom.nl and related tests?

Try them anyway, these have actually kept me out of trouble when deploying work in low quality monitors for my clients.

@Make Love Not War

If indeed one being able to set the tone mapping to our liking is very welcome adition, not so sure about the current default one becoming far different from previous default. Not everyone will have the same easy in editing the mission to accommodate.

I like this addition too much though.

Edited by gammadust

is it only me or is the new one even a bit brighter ??

so i think the new tone is really good. why are pll complaining about ?

leave it like it is. and pll should deal with it.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

that is somekind a cheat protection in PVP. all have the same "darkness".

leave it like this, so no one can bring the "brightness monitorcheat" in MP

is it only me or is the new one even a bit brighter ??

so i think the new tone is really good. why are pll complaining about ?

leave it like it is. and pll should deal with it.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

that is somekind a cheat protection in PVP. all have the same "darkness".

leave it like this, so no one can bring the "brightness monitorcheat" in MP

The issue we're discussing is the way tone mapping is affecting the daytime. At least that's what I've been discussing. See post #40 and #44

Another example of our "ingame pupils" going apenuts: http://imgur.com/a/5SVTB

Edited by Witherfield

but that is the hdr effect it was in arma 2 from the beginning... yes ist annoying but no one can change it

in arma 3 its better - its toned down..