Sign in to follow this  
BennyBoy

FV107 Scimitar - interest?

OK, so this is a massive resurrection of an old model, but I've recently become interested in ARMA again (yeah thanks to DayZ :D )

Anyhow, I've had this model sat on my HDD for many years now, it's an FV107 scimitar that I was working on as part of Project UK Forces many moons ago. The original model has about 12 variants, including an FV101 scorpion, LES updates, FR variants, UOR, etc...

scim-20120608.jpg

It needs a lot of work, some remodelling, unwrap, res lod creations, reskin, and config tweaking. Anyhow - I can imagine it's a relatively low demand item, so I want to gauge whether anyone would actually use it before committing to doing any work on it.

By interest I mean groups, or potentially anyone wanting to include it in a larger mod.

Im sure there army plenty of people out there interested in this one.

If you are going to release this addon, please make a version that has no cage as well :)

Your Buldozer aspect ratio looks a bit dodgy Ben - I don't remember the model being that 'squished' ;)

If you do want to finish it; you know I'll help you out to the best of my ability.:) As Tankbuster said, the UK community section of Rock's forums are a pretty decent working environment for British kit now that the UKF forums are gone.

Vilas already released one, but the more the merrier.

Vilas already released one

this is important how?

are we not allowed to make something once vilas has released one?

In addition to DM's point, the work Ben is doing generally represent variants of the the vehicle in modern (late 1990s to current day) British service. Scimitar nowadays has a completely different sight arrangement and even a new engine to the sort of vehicle that vilas made for P85. Ben said his vehicle will reflect the CVR(t) Life Extension Programme conducted throughout the 1990s to early 2000s and BGTI upgrade that took place in the mid-2000s to Armoured Reconnaissance variants of the vehicle; plus various theatre-specific modifications that were made for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars up to the Scimitar 235 variant that was introduced a few years ago (prior to Scimitar 2 being adopted for Op. Herrick).

In all, it will result in significant visual and feature-driven differences between the two.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Your Buldozer aspect ratio looks a bit dodgy Ben - I don't remember the model being that 'squished' ;)

If you do want to finish it; you know I'll help you out to the best of my ability.:) As Tankbuster said, the UK community section of Rock's forums are a pretty decent working environment for British kit now that the UKF forums are gone.

Yeah I just did a quick install of the BI Tools, need to configure them yet. I'm also considering moving the modelling into Blender, really don't want to manually bake all the res lods in O2.

Will be in touch shortly.

If you are going to release this addon, please make a version that has no cage as well :)

All done by named selections in the configs...

Got a link to this, I've been away from the scene for a couple of years. I do remember seeing the Malvinas FV101 and although it was a good attempt it was highly inaccurate.

Ah this looks fantastic..I hope it and each of its variants find their way into the game sometime, they'd be a great addition to BAF and I would certainly love to use them. :)

More of us coming out of the woodwork, hey? :)

Let one in, they all... ahem. Looks good. Nice to see the return of the UK lads. The more UK kit the better.

Ben, same offer as I made to Dan, If you want a "home" you are more than welcome to join RKSL its always nice to have multi skilled guys around :)

Happy to mate, just bear in mind that I have a bit of a learning curve coming up :D

@BennyBoy, if anyone says they're not interested in seeing such a model in ARMA they are daft!

OK, well I've decided to crack on with it.

First job is to get the model up to scratch, to be honest, it's crap at the moment.

Let's face it, light tanks are far more adapted to Arma's infantry-heavy focus (rather than MBTs)

Moreover they see far more action that their heavier cousins...

So as the sceptics say "Bring it On!"

This would look great rolling thru Takistan supporting the boys!

Great to hear your going to get back into it.

dude keep on it.. m8 its still looking good m8.. if u need help with stuff let me know:D

dude keep on it.. m8 its still looking good m8.. if u need help with stuff let me know:D

Ha, well you know I'll be in touch.

I'm just in the process of acquiring actual plans for the vehicle :D (legitimately!)

Looking forward to any eventual release of this.

At the risk of asking a question you may have had already, any plans for a FV103? Or will you be focusing on the Scorpion and Scimitar variants?

I remember seeing this for OFP is this the same one? Anyway keep up the great work, great to see more British Kit :)

Benneh: Maybe the chaps doing the Falklands mod might show an interest in this :)