Sign in to follow this  
bluedrake42

Vehicle Quality

Do you think Vehicle Interiors should be implemented for All Vehicles in Arma 3?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Vehicle Interiors should be implemented for All Vehicles in Arma 3?

• Yes, I would like this
    • No, It's not Necessary
    • Maybe/Other (Explain in Comments)

You have passengers, who if 3rd person view were to be disabled do need to stare at something for protracted periods of time. Additionally, in many of those vehicles, the various crew positions are visible from the passenger compartments/positions. Again, amount of work for amount of gain.

I thought the Abraham's had a TV for its sight, so you wouldn't be looking straight down a periscope (like in the old days) but at a TV screen and still able to see your surroundings within the tank.

Note I am not bothered if they are/aren't added into Arma 3.

I think the problem there is that Render to Texture (which would be used on TV screens) is quite a resource hog if it comes up into any sort of high refresh rate. If you view the E3 videos you can see it updates the pictures at a very low FPS.

(Just a point of note, I'm opposed the notion that was brought up that tank interiors are vital for ArmA to succeed, or whatever other spin on that claim has since come forward - if BIS decide to make tank interiors, I'll be just as happy as the fanatics, I just don't agree that its a key component of A3)

Lol, we can be happy that you're not against them, i wonder how it would look....

I've modeled interior for OFP tanks and it isn't that hard, even if it's more demanding in ArmA2/3 qualitywise. But the relatively small amount of tanks in the game doesn't make it so incredibly time demanding.

One good point here though is that interiors should be somehow functional to increase immersion and fun.

Lol, we can be happy that you're not against them, i wonder how it would look....

I've modeled interior for OFP tanks and it isn't that hard, even if it's more demanding in ArmA2/3 qualitywise. But the relatively small amount of tanks in the game doesn't make it so incredibly time demanding.

One good point here though is that interiors should be somehow functional to increase immersion and fun.

I've not had my coffee yet :o

I agree, to an extent, but in creating something interactive, interesting, 'immersive' (shudder), so it doesn't become just a pointless and static scene that no one will view for more than a few seconds (and even then, you're still stuck with the problem that in order to actually use the vehicle you're going to return to the periscope views for a large amount of time), then you're taking time and work away from another part of the game. I rather they spent that time on cockpits, for instance.

Somewhere along the line I believe they''re probably quite content to allow the community to see what they can come up with in terms of creating indepth interiors with all the new tools at our fingertips.

(I'm a nice guy really - ironically as I sit and discuss this, I'm modeling an interior for a vehicle where I've gone as far as modeling the ignition key and a keychain... first person to point out immersion gets slapped)

Edited by Messiah

It's tenfold better if you can see the view "from the seat" and don't be forced to like somekind of instant- or auto-gluefocus through a small and single front persicope. Gain = most if not all players do feel good/great (or somehwat special) about sitting in drivers/gunners/commanders seat and simply enjoying to use all A3 vehicles from 1st person view....

It's tenfold better if you can see the view "from the seat" and don't be forced to like somekind of instant- or auto-gluefocus through a small and single front persicope. Gain = most if not all players do feel good/great (or somehwat special) about sitting in drivers/gunners/commanders seat and simply enjoying to use all A3 vehicles from 1st person view....

Yup, that's why i prefer the bradley and the M113.

I guess that A3 has 2 key points which make tank interiors both more useful and more easy to do than before :

1) RTT : Interiors were useless before that (in A2), now it's a different story as you can use/drive while watching screens. Moreover, since none of the outside world is visible but in the screens, it should take a lot less resources than render everything twice. RTT in Take on works and is rather fluid given the right settings.

2) Fictional units : Lack of reference was also a big problem for real tank interiors. Now that it's supposed to be fictional/future based (though obviously based on real designs), nothing prevents BI from using some artistic licence to fill in the blanks and make interiors as they see fit.

I understand why they dropped it in A2, but now things have changed, both in terms of tech and setting. While not vital, it makes sense again.

I guess we can all agree it's not vital, but look how awesome this is -

_qZwFUvfnVE

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Fixed that for you

Way too bright in there ^.

Hopefully interiors could be added as mods or DLC later if needed.

Also what will help immersion is being able to move your head to alter the view out of windows.

Edited by EDcase

A tank, imo, for now needs a free-look 3d window (i think this one is easy, the rest of the scene would be just dark) and the sights/periscopes.

yea I think the hardest part is to make the vehicle feel right.

Like, when you are moving into curves or on rough ground, that your wheels give some damper tolerance.

Operative;2178469']A tank' date=' imo, for now needs a free-look 3d window (i think this one is easy, the rest of the scene would be just dark) and the sights/periscopes.[/quote']

^^^^THIS^^^^ we don't need full interiors, just proper windows and more than one periscope, or cut out hole when driving. And to the people using 3rd person view in their arguments, you can't always use 3rd person in every server, there has to be an appropriate first-person substitute rather than straight ahead, because there's always reverse, and hard turns.

I don't expect fully rendered vehicle interiors but I do expect something more then a crap overlay like whats in the current M1 Abrams tank.

What he said.

I understand tanks interiors are not required but some tridimensional peepholes (the M113 APC had it ingame, if I recall correctly) for the driver and the commander are necessary to give you the idea you are inside of something. There is no need for ultra fancy stuff, I think a generic cockpit should do the trick and add to the realism/immersion.

The gunner should be fine with the traditional overlay/target-thingy though.

What he said.

I understand tanks interiors are not required but some tridimensional peepholes (the M113 APC had it ingame, if I recall correctly) for the driver and the commander are necessary to give you the idea you are inside of something. There is no need for ultra fancy stuff, I think a generic cockpit should do the trick and add to the realism/immersion.

The gunner should be fine with the traditional overlay/target-thingy though.

I Disagree for the red part. When you play larger Online Battles and have to play as a gunner in an Abrams for some long miles before any action starts, there is nothing more annoying than to be glued to this fcking shit target overlay. Trust me. I dont want to constant scan for anything, knowing its miles and very long minutes (even half an hour) away. Of course on realism guys like me, 3rd person is disabled.

In OFP i could switch to the "inside" view and my cannon was not moving anymore and i could enjoy looking around inside of the tank, looking up to the commander right above me, even spot some slight "bits" of the blue sky through his little hatch-windows, etc.

It was amazing. Its a shame something like this is missing IMHO.

If i just would know "how" to do this, if its moddable anyway afterwards without vehicle MLODs, i would not just post such lofty speeches but instead go ahead and do it. Hopefully if not made by BIS, there will be a "window" left in the models to add it later by the community.

I Disagree for the red part. When you play larger Online Battles and have to play as a gunner in an Abrams for some long miles before any action starts, there is nothing more annoying than to be glued to this fcking shit target overlay. Trust me. I dont want to constant scan for anything, knowing its miles and very long minutes (even half an hour) away. Of course on realism guys like me, 3rd person is disabled.

In OFP i could switch to the "inside" view and my cannon was not moving anymore and i could enjoy looking around inside of the tank, looking up to the commander right above me, even spot some slight "bits" of the blue sky through his little hatch-windows, etc.

It was amazing. Its a shame something like this is missing IMHO.If i just would know "how" to do this, if its moddable anyway afterwards without vehicle MLODs, i would not just post such lofty speeches but instead go ahead and do it. Hopefully if not made by BIS, there will be a "window" left in the models to add it later by the community.

I agree. However if they could implement a system like RO2 currently has (or at least give us a chance to do it ourselves) I would be very happy.

Message to the Haters... I know this isn't going to happen because of the time required to build such thing. but I would already be hapy with just a couple of periscopes and maybe a rear viewing camera for the driver. An inside view for the gunner and maybe even a periscope. A periscope (something like they have on the M1A2 TUSK), a MG and some viewports for the commander. And ofcourse some real actions for the loader (maybe something like the ACE artillery system?).

I Disagree for the red part. When you play larger Online Battles and have to play as a gunner in an Abrams for some long miles before any action starts, there is nothing more annoying than to be glued to this fcking shit target overlay.

I didn't think about that, but yeah, you have a point there. I too hope somebody is gonna mod this stuff in, if the devs decide it's not worth it...

IIf i just would know "how" to do this, if its moddable anyway afterwards without vehicle MLODs, i would not just post such lofty speeches but instead go ahead and do it. Hopefully if not made by BIS, there will be a "window" left in the models to add it later by the community.

Nobody was born with the knowledge. You can always learn to do it if you really want to, and obviously, if that would be possible. For A2, doing interiors for vanilla vehicles is not possible.

Will it be possible for A3 vehicles. I would put my money on the NO answer, since i doubt much in terms of how this is done will change (as in being able to proxy meshes from withing a config file).

Message to the Haters... I know this isn't going to happen because of the time required to build such thing.

FPDR

I too hope somebody is gonna mod this stuff in, if the devs decide it's not worth it...

i love when one hopes for others to do their works

For A2, doing interiors for vanilla vehicles is not possible. Will it be possible for A3 vehicles. I would put my money on the NO answer, since i doubt much in terms of how this is done will change (as in being able to proxy meshes from withing a config file).

But if BIS were to provide a very basic black box-like 3D version of the current viewports as many have suggested here, would modders then be able to replace this proxy with a hi-fi update post-release?

But if BIS were to provide a very basic black box-like 3D version of the current viewports as many have suggested here, would modders then be able to replace this proxy with a hi-fi update post-release?

Not within the current p3d layout, no.

Having the ability to see two different directions at once is quite a feature in and of itself, rather than a box hole can use to look around.

scaled.php?server=594&filename=46926022.jpg&res=landing

If my cupola is facing 12 then right now I would be able to see my 2 and 4 with a slight blinder on 3.

In a way this would provide a whole new gameplay element that distinguishes between tanks. IE if you have less periscopes the less situational awareness, the less ballsy you'll probably be when you figure out that nobody can see BEHIND the tank unless the turret is rotated in some way or someone up top unbuttons.

It also adds another teamplay element if the tank doesn't have a 6 o clock periscope since you'll need someone to watch your flank. All of this plus the fact that you wouldn't have the same visibility that you would on foot adds a whole new layer of challenge to the vehicle for driver and commander. Also a three way or fully rotateble turret wouldn't be the answer since not all driver ports have three periscopes and not all commander cupola's can rotate. Merkava for example has five periscopes but the cupola doesn't rotate.

Honestly if you're willing to go far enough, an interior can be make even more immersive by remove all HUD elements and relaying the information through the tanks interior. For example, on the gunners fire control panel you have two lights to indicate SABOT and HEAT. The lights go from on and off pending which round is loaded, and both off when ammunition is spent. Damage effects can be handled with other warning lights, hydraulics and so on, and a sound effect of the loader calling when the next round is ready to fire gives the ready indication but also makes the crew feel more lively.

When it comes down to the brass tacks, you can increase both immersion and functionality in one bundle.

Edited by NodUnit

That would be pretty awesome, I have to say. What we have now (With the Bradley/AAV) is awesome, but that would be stellar.

i love when one hopes for others to do their works

That is NOT *MY* frigging work. It's more likely to be Bohemia's.

I am just making observations here, I am NOT demanding anything to anybody. Let's not be over-polemic.