Sign in to follow this  
bluedrake42

Vehicle Quality

Do you think Vehicle Interiors should be implemented for All Vehicles in Arma 3?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Vehicle Interiors should be implemented for All Vehicles in Arma 3?

• Yes, I would like this
    • No, It's not Necessary
    • Maybe/Other (Explain in Comments)

Well for the "low quality" of OFPs Vehicles i found the interiors well fitting.

Wasnt even the cannon moving inside the M1 Abrams? Or was this Kinghomers M1Ax ?

What i loved most about it, was that when i was the commander in an Abrams, i could look all around outside through these little widows in my hatch, i also could look left below me and saw the gunner. For me it was immersive and breathtaking, like in a full blown Tank simulation. Period. :-) I want that immersive feeling back, even if its later with a larger patch or anything. Give them modelers something to do after release (don't take it seriously haha)

The cannon did move yes, I loved that aspect as well, and with Arma 3's new HDR not being detrimental to interiors I'd love to see it even more along with the new lighting..could only imagine how that would look inside a vehicle..in fact I would love to see it so much that I'm going to make it happen.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/int1.jpg?t=1341130499

day 3

Really the only tricky parts to this are references and then finding something to start with..tank interiors are like 1000 piece puzzles with a few large pieces. Its not quite as difficult as some may think, daunting as heck at first but once you pick up somewhere and start going you'll find yourself adding bit after bit and before you know it you have something taking shape.

Edited by NodUnit

That is NOT *MY* frigging work. It's more likely to be Bohemia's.

I am just making observations here, I am NOT demanding anything to anybody. Let's not be over-polemic.

I am not over polemic. But i find that if you really want something done that you find important, you need to do it yourself...

Really the only tricky parts to this are references and then finding something to start with..tank interiors are like 1000 piece puzzles with a few large pieces. Its not quite as difficult as some may think, daunting as heck at first but once you pick up somewhere and start going you'll find yourself adding bit after bit and before you know it you have something taking shape.

If you really wanna go there: of course for most US vehicles interiors references are easier to find.(that doesn't mean easy though) But good luck finding refs for russian, israeli (merkava is a good example) and so forth. I know most people are into US equipment, but there are some that aren't.

It is not about modelling. That is the easiest part, at least from my pov.

Found a few which give a rough enough idea for the merkava's interior.

http://www.palba.cz/forumfoto/albums/userpics/11356/UrdunMerkavaIVTurret.jpg

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaIVCommanderA.jpg

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaIVDriverA.jpg

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaMkIVgunner.jpg

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaIVLoader.jpg

http://www.supervideo.com/MerkavaTadirElOpFCS.jpg damn that looks like fun

Might be able to find more but for now, perhaps some Japanese or Russian forums somewhere. Also finding out that modelling kits can be a great resource if you can't find any interiors, you at least get an idea or two from there and in some cases they are surprisingly accurate.

Huh...merkava uses the same hand grips and sights as the abrams..wonder what other bits of kit the two share.

For any reading a few of my resources are

Flickr

Picasaweb

Prime Portal (lots of great stuff all around, weapons, aircraft, tanks and other things of all nationalities)

smugmug

military photos.net (forums mostly)

Edited by NodUnit

and with Arma 3's new HDR not being detrimental to interiors I'd love to see it even more along with the new lighting..could only imagine how that would look inside a vehicle..in fact I would love to see it so much that I'm going to make it happen.

Thanks man, this is going to be sweet. Here's some abrams interior lighting reference videos.

tgOzCr6SrF0&feature=context-cha

RU9tXiNnaQs&feature=context-cha

Thanks man, this is going to be sweet. Here's some abrams interior lighting reference videos.

Oh I never saw those before, and what a coincidence that they happen to be the only ones in that channel, not to mention the upload time huh ;). Big thanks! These will definately come in handy when we get to that stage, always wondered how much light came in at daylight and what an M1A2 looks like at night.

In the first video is the commander hatch open as well or is all that light only coming from the loaders hatch?

In the first video is the commander hatch open as well or is all that light only coming from the loaders hatch?

Yes the commander hatch is open, I will shortly post another video with the commander hatch closed.

Edited by Timnos

Oh much obliged, if you don't mind me asking, were you part of this crew?

Oh much obliged, if you don't mind me asking, were you part of this crew?

My friend sent me the footage from Fort Bliss, I'm a 'virtual tanker' lol. I hope you have fun with your project mate.

72zI_ezviWs&feature=plcp

Aw I was partly hoping that you were the TC and that bottom screen was the BI forums, that would have been something crazy hehehe.

I very much will, planning on the M1A2 when I get the A1 finished so this provides excellent material for later and I'm confident that A3 is up to the lighting. I may have to try and recruit you when that time comes as well ;) (huh, I'm surprised they don't have a flood light on the gunners fire control) Please pass my thanks along to your friend also.

This is what we are lacking, some ideas for Arma3 mod -

8d1a9wshTdY

^ Yes! Simple shit like that. Most of the Russian tanks in arma have this, it mades everything more difficult in most ways but is more realistic and immersive, and well, isn't that the reason we all play arma? :D

The only reason I want to see inside of a tank is so in Expert level servers, where I can't have that 3rd person, I can look through the different ports. I prefer how the Bradley is in Op. Arrowhead, where you can leave the tiny view and look through the various viewslits.

Would also be useful for commander or gunner seats in armor, be it an APC or a MBT.

Some sort of ability to look at the left and right periscopes while in the periscope view would be a nice addition then.

AAW ASLAV's had the ability for the driver to look through the periscope straight ahead, front left and front right. Just had to press i think it was 7,8,9 on the numpad.

Hahaha, I cannot believe some one found that video I made! ;)

I made this just to show some guys in the cav what I wanted to see in Arma 3 tanks. Since we attempt to be tactical and such, on missions we always play with 3rd person disabled. I've been a TC/Driver/Gunner/Loader on the Abrams for over a year in Arma, and I assure you driving for an hour or more looking through one tiny view port does not cut it. With that well modelled interior, as a TC and other positions it really helps me. Having the ability to look through all view ports as a TC is a life saver, as that M1A2 didn't have a remote weapons station.. I assure you gentlemen it is not simply eye candy you see there, it has some very valuable uses.

Hahaha, I cannot believe some one found that video I made! ;)

I made this just to show some guys in the cav what I wanted to see in Arma 3 tanks. Since we attempt to be tactical and such, on missions we always play with 3rd person disabled. I've been a TC/Driver/Gunner/Loader on the Abrams for over a year in Arma, and I assure you driving for an hour or more looking through one tiny view port does not cut it. With that well modelled interior, as a TC and other positions it really helps me. Having the ability to look through all view ports as a TC is a life saver, as that M1A2 didn't have a remote weapons station.. I assure you gentlemen it is not simply eye candy you see there, it has some very valuable uses.

Very well said, thank you.

Someone who understood me. :-)

Digitized tanks could greatly benefit from RTT as well, not only could the commander have his sight within and also be able to look through periscopes but a secondary screen (if it's there) would allow them to see where the gunner is looking as well, making crew awareness even more effective.

RTT is indeed the gamechanger for tank interiors.

And if you don't have to render the exterior twice, RTT shouldn't be so much of a performance hit.

Remains the question of good reference, but given the artistic licence granted by the future setting, it could be easier.

Remains the question of good reference, but given the artistic licence granted by the future setting, it could be easier.

That's a good point. We don't know for certain what the interior of future vehicles will look like, we can only speculate, this gives artists the freedom to create it how they presume it would look.

I can understand that BIS would want to focus their efforts elsewhere, but I think they should at least make it easy for modders to do the sort of stuff discussed in this thread.

you know... a few months ago I might have agreed with everyone saying its too big of an investment

well I think I can safely say now, since BIS has whored out to DAYZ... they have probably made 100's of thousands of dollars.

so. bis. you have the money. tank interiors. do it. and do it right

I think I can safely say now, since BIS has whored out to DAYZ...t

You know, unlike all those 'AAA' developers, the BIS folks still come over and read the forums every now and then. They might be insulted by that.

Apparently, they did include the foundation for modders to do it. Also, there are nicer (read: subtler) ways to demand something from a developer.

Edited by OnlyRazor

The "foundation", the ability, the technology to do it has been there since day ONE of OFP. They haven't removed anything from the game, they just haven't created the content to use it since then.

If interiors are SO important, why have we not seen a single mod released that adds them?

You could go and make an addon for ArmA2 right now that adds interiors to all tanks. But no one has. I wonder why...

But its much easier to call BI lazy or greedy whores

The "foundation", the ability, the technology to do it has been there since day ONE of OFP. They haven't removed anything from the game, they just haven't created the content to use it since then.

If interiors are SO important, why have we not seen a single mod released that adds them?

You could go and make an addon for ArmA2 right now that adds interiors to all tanks. But no one has. I wonder why...

But its much easier to call BI lazy or greedy whores

Welcome to the internet. Acta, non verba may not apply :p

You know, unlike all those 'AAA' developers, the BIS folks still come over and read the forums every now and then. They might be insulted by that.

Apparently, they did include the foundation for modders to do it. Also, there are nicer (read: subtler) ways to demand something from a developer.

I'm sorry did I say anything that wasn't true?

Because from what I hear they moved over a full time ArmA developer to develop a zombie plugin for a tactical milsim game

excuse me if I feel rather betrayed that they're abandoning the tactical community to make that crap (that's pouring in cod kiddies and ruining the arma community btw)

I know they read the forums, I don't say anything I wouldn't like to have them read

The only way these actions and DayZ could be redeemed in my opinion

is if they put their new found success into making ArmA 3 a better game

and I'll be straight up, I'm not THAT big on vehicle interiors

I just want the vehicle combat to not suck, and overall the game to be more accessible, balanced, and streamlined, yet still realistic and tactical

for example I play Project Reality, which has no interiors for armor, and it still has WAY better vehicle combat than ArmA

Project Reality is still in my opinion the pent-ultimate example of a perfect tactical shooter

The only problem is that PR is coming up on being a DECADE old

I want something as good as PR, just for the new generation

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

First of all, they removed interiors from the game (because it was in OFP you ignorant fool)

Second of all, there have been mods that add interiors to tanks and vehicles, just not all of them

and if you expect the ArmA community being as small as it is to do something like adding interiors to ALL vehicles

Then you're a ridiculous person. I'm sorry but I don't feel it should be up to the community to finish a half baked game

Do your research next time

Edited by Bluedrake42