Sign in to follow this  
WingsOfDeath

Arma 3 & TOH

Flight model is cool,but also TAB lock needs to be underpowered ,or replaced by real targetting systems !

wrong thread

Edited by MAKC

Regardless if TOH makes it in at some point or not the current flying model is still far from ideal. My biggest critique would be how hard it is to point the guns at the target and make it stay there for at least couple seconds but the aircraft won't let you as it picks on speed way too quickly. IMHO the overall sensitivity could be little lower as well since turning the heli around with or without autohover feels little over responsive like that thing doesn't weight anything.

The way autohover is trying to correct the aircraft could use an improvement. The issue it posed back in arma 2 is that it's too aggressive in a way that if the pilot can't land ( due to uneven , otherwise not suitable terrain ) and has to hover, trying to correct the aircraft while auto hovering is not very appealing as some choppers are fairly big and it's not so hard to damage the rear propeller thingy in terrain due to autohover throwing the aircraft 45 degrees front and back

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

How much is it possible that we will get TOH FM after release? Because seriously, there were hundreds of confirmations and denials from Dev's and now I don't know what to think about it.

Well..consider that was a year ago, before the great shift.

There's so much content missing and so many promises of it being added post-release (and TOH FM isn't one of them) I think it's safe to say we can forget about it.

Plus with ArmA3 shifting towards arcade shooter gameplay more and more it probably won't fit.

Well..consider that was a year ago, before the great shift.

Well, I would consider it not being that great then.

There's so much content missing and so many promises of it being added post-release (and TOH FM isn't one of them) I think it's safe to say we can forget about it.

Plus with ArmA3 shifting towards arcade shooter gameplay more and more it probably won't fit.

But I remember RiE saying that after latest patches game turned much more into A2 gameplay than it was previously planned.

Devs also said that they will support the game after its release. I know that few months ago TOH FM was about "maybe after release - but no promises" - so it is something they consider to do.

Also in some of the latest interview one of the dev inclined that various features will be added in patches, with campaign and that the "most voted" features on feedback tracker are good place to start.

I guess, we will see.

Edited by fragmachine

Sigh, this is my main reason why I'm very disappointed with Arma3. I was hoping, I was almost sure that Arma 3 will have features from Arma2 and TKOH combined. That it will fill the gap between arcade helicopter games and Digital Combat Simulator.

I don't think it will happen though. I have Arma 3, I like it, I love Altis, but I don't touch A3 helicopters, they are abysmal. And I am a helo fan. :/

BTW:

graphic-wise there's even after release going to be a few awesome new features, probably with the first campaign-episode.

I think the Feedback Tracker top-voted list here is a good reflection of. At the top we see something whatever I want, and I would like to do after the release, namely functional Bipods and resting arms on objects something with it. Another great desire is to shoot from passenger vehicles. This is unfortunately a lot harder to solve than people might realize. All in all, this list when planning our post-release patches and expansions definitely a good source of inspiration.

Interview:

http://www.gamer.nl/interview/432483/arma-3-de-laatste-loodjes

So if top-voted FT list is taken into considerations they should really think about implementing this system into A3. One of the main reasons they scrapped it was difficult setting up of the FM for each of the helicopters. Another one I guess was that it "wasn't fun and accessable for average bread-eating gamer". So somewhat point for metalcraze if that would be the case.

But I remember RiE saying that after latest patches game turned much more into A2 gameplay than it was previously planned.

Actually ArmA3 was going to be more like ArmA2 before the shift when DayZ came out. That's why it was advertised as a simulation before and now any words like 'realism' are completely dropped from the game (replaced with 'streamlining'/'accessibility') and it plays a lot more arcade (no need for medics/ammo bearers/ridiculous load carry capacity/unrealistic movement). With all this I would be very surprised if TOH FM is even mentioned at their brainstorm sessions.

Devs also said that they will support the game after its release. I know that few months ago TOH FM was about "maybe after release - but no promises" - so it is something they consider to do.

Also in some of the latest interview one of the dev inclined that various features will be added in patches, with campaign and that the "most voted" features on feedback tracker are good place to start.

The most recent word I heard was DnA's old saying about a week before the public alpha release essentially saying that at best the TOH flight model might only be implemented for use by modders, not BI helicopters/in the BI campaigns... and the "maybe after release - but no promises" thing is basically the standard BI Arma 3 dev response these days to any feature requests. :D

Actually, I believe that Arma3 was going to be a simulator, a true sequal to arma2 (with REAL simulation elements: improved medic system, ToH FM etc). Then probably alot of problems popped up for the dev team (that for example forced them to use steam only), and they had to switch plans. Removing the simulation focus, axing alot of features, simplifying features (saying they are more streamlined now) and "Balancing" the factions.. I think if these decisions weren't made, there wouldnt be an arma3 anymore (lack of time, just look at all the delaying of core game features). But I refuse to believe that arma3 was originally heading the wrong direction, and that the shifting of plans got it back on track, I'd say its the other way around.

Actually ArmA3 was going to be more like ArmA2 before the shift when DayZ came out.
But I refuse to believe that arma3 was originally heading the wrong direction, and that the shifting of plans got it back on track, I'd say its the other way around.

Well, then I assure you, you are incorrect. :)

Then please tell us someday what were the plans :P

In that case please tell us how ArmA3 originally was considering that before the shift stuff like encumbrance, improved flight system (TOH FM) and improved advanced medic system was promised and instead in ArmA3 right now we got many existing features simplified/gone and no plans to get them back to at least ArmA2 standards.

A simple and clear statement from a dev will put this issue and speculation to rest once and for all.

In that case please tell us how ArmA3 originally was considering that before the shift stuff like encumbrance, improved flight system (TOH FM) and improved advanced medic system was promised and instead in ArmA3 right now we got many existing features simplified/gone and no plans to get them back to at least ArmA2 standards.

“Patience you must have my young padawanâ€.

Sorry for the Yoda crap, but it really fits the situation. :cool:

Also note that those features were never in-game before, simply wished.

Personally, I want an advanced battlefield Clearence & First Aid solution but, the old Arma 2 scripted system was not good enough, and a scripted solution. We would like to have it in engine (better performance, more consistent, more advanced), but such a move requires a lot more work, but a better outcome.

Arma 2 system was also a no go because it was designed around the obsolete, badly designed RE system, had major JIP problems and simply wasn't good enough.

Edited by neokika

Is there any chance that you guys at BIS can still work on adding such things as ToH flight model and more advanced medic system in future?

It's apprentice, not padawan, the prequels never happened, I don't know what you're talking about! *goes looking for a gimer stick for neokika's knees*

Also note that those features were never in-game before, simply wished.

Personally, I want an advanced battlefield Clearence & First Aid solution but, the old Arma 2 scripted system was not good enough, and a scripted solution. We would like to have it in engine (better performance, more consistent, more advanced), but such a move requires a lot more work, but a better outcome.

Arma 2 system was also a no go because it was designed around the obsolete, badly designed RE system, had major JIP problems and simply wasn't good enough.

OK. Thank you for the explanation. Although it still doesn't help that even the basic OFP system was completely ruined with the addition of FAKs making medics a thing of the past.

And it seems there are no plans to get rid of them / add better system.

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

Bloody brill if this happens :-)

Bloody brill if this happens :-)
That was the former project lead, the current lead changed course: it's optional and only a partial implementation at that.