Sign in to follow this  
WingsOfDeath

Arma 3 & TOH

Great news!

One reason more to kepp playing ToH to train how to fly. ;)

Yes I am loving this too, been training a lot in TOH on how to fly properly.

But we are going to see a lot of helis broekn because people couldn't start them properly, and lots of noobs crashing on take off (I have seen this so many times in MP on TOh on expert settings)

YES! GREAT NEWS!!!

Man, it would be fucking AWESOME to have that realistic startup and shutdown as in ToH.

In case you don't know what I mean:

YES! GREAT NEWS!!!

Man, it would be fucking AWESOME to have that realistic startup and shutdown as in ToH.

In case you don't know what I mean:

Awesome, I'll be TAB+locking you while you startup the APU, then engage the gearbox and so forth. xD J/K

After 3 years of flying the terrible arma 2 choppers finally i get to fly a real chopper! :yay:

Flightmodel can mean Newtonian physics, nothing more; thingamajigs that need to be micromanaged need not apply. :)

Retreating blade stalls would make things more challenging, as it should be. As it stands you cruise around fullspeed, flying so amazingly recklessly that it doesn't matter. Normally I'd argue on the opposite, that it's not a helicopter sim and all, however it's not as justifiable now that the options exist. Helicopters are unruly creations, supposedly the most difficult and challenging vehicles to control, much less master than anything else, and it should be reflected on that.

I've heard the MP arguement before..but I don't think that is reason enough to hold back, lowering standards to suit everyone is not the way to go for everything, otherwise you wind up with BF3 helicopters which are shamefully easy compared to BF2, yet people somehow STILL crash them.

I'm overjoyed that TKOH's FM will make it in, but if possible, it shouldn't stop there.. I'm not necessarily saying vortex ring states and other hazards, just something to make them seem more like an unruly beast, shall we say.

I guess I'm happy about this. I used to be pretty big on piloting choppers, not so much any more. It's nice to see that the entrance requirements, so to say, will be increased greatly in ArmA3. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it will render certain missions or parts of the campaign unplayable for me because I don't have a joystick.

I don't care about practice time, but is it possible to fly the TKOH flight model with just a keyboard and mouse?

I'm also a bit scared as to what the AI will do with flying now. They handle ArmA2's relatively basic flight model terribly, so introducing more variables is a recipe for disaster.

I guess I'm happy about this. I used to be pretty big on piloting choppers, not so much any more. It's nice to see that the entrance requirements, so to say, will be increased greatly in ArmA3. The only thing I'm afraid of is that it will render certain missions or parts of the campaign unplayable for me because I don't have a joystick.

I don't care about practice time, but is it possible to fly the TKOH flight model with just a keyboard and mouse?

I'm also a bit scared as to what the AI will do with flying now. They handle ArmA2's relatively basic flight model terribly, so introducing more variables is a recipe for disaster.

It is certainly possible to fly helicopters in TOH with kb&m but it is extremly difficult. I don't think it is possible to really perform a hover with the hind without a joystick for example (on expert of course). You don't need an expensive setup. A simple joystick will do the trick for the start but if you really get into helicopters I recommend pedals and possibly also TIR.

In regards to AI controlled helicopters I can assure you that the AI is surprisingly good at landing under most conditions and wherever you want them to, even in very small clearings or on rooftops. However, AI can fail at landing when under fire.

Auto trim is the new noob filter:D

How does manual trim work in TOH? Is it like DCS Black Shark where if you have a force feedback joystick it will lock the stick in position when you press the trim button. My old trusty MSFF2 is perfect for it.

I would be very surprised if the AI were using a fully featured flightmodel to move around, even in Take On.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

How does manual trim work in TOH? Is it like DCS Black Shark where if you have a force feedback joystick it will lock the stick in position when you press the trim button. My old trusty MSFF2 is perfect for it.

Yes and no. It resets the stick zero to where ever you click the trim button. Hold helicopter level, click trim, return stick to neutral, and the helicopter stays trimmed.

edit:Never mind, Max answer the question

Yes and no. It resets the stick zero to where ever you click the trim button. Hold helicopter level, click trim, return stick to neutral, and the helicopter stays trimmed.

Does that mean you cannot mimic the real helicopter where the cyclic remains in a trimmed position even with a force feedback stick?

No. It works like normal stick, but MSFF2 is perfect for TOH :)

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

Amazing news!

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

This is great, Damu. Thanks for informing us.

music to my ears.

When both Arma and Arma 2 came out, I planned to specialize in online gaming as a helo pilot. Those plans were soon quashed by the flight model. This conformation of ToH flight model in Arma 3 now rekindles my aspirations! Cool. Helo-taxi, here I come.

BIS, post-release you now need to fill that space in your product line with Take On Tanks and/or Take On Jets so we can have those simulations elevated to the same level in ArmA 4. :D

ArmA 4. :D

Pretty sure all BIS developers saw this and died a little inside...

Pretty sure all BIS developers saw this and died a little inside...

Then... we... must... incorporate... Take On Tanks & Take On Jets into... ArmA III... at all costs... or we are doomed... :icon_twisted:

Well the fixed wing equivilent of the TOH flight model is already available (TOH uses rotarywingflightlib or something like that, the company that made it also has a fixedwinglib).

Then... we... must... incorporate... Take On Tanks & Take On Jets into... ArmA III... at all costs... or we are doomed... :icon_twisted:

This

As I have already said many times, Take on Tanks would be the next logical step since there is no game that simulates tank warfare together with nice Graphics