cimalex

Project 82 The Falklands/Malvinas war mod Work In Progress - Pics

Stagler, I think you misunderstand me. What I'm saying is your decision to stay with ArmA 2 is (in my opinion) a good one.

Reference the ships: Are they going to be static models, or will they be able to move like the Progetta Flotta/Pedagne Mods Italian ships?

Ah I did. Sorry Goose.

But what I said stands anyway.

From what I can see in o2 of the mlods I have been supplied, the ships are in many sections like the LHD. So probably static.

For what WE have available at the moment (lot of Mlods mainly of old Ofp era), the amount of work to do (Huge amount, due to retexturing, scripting, editing etc...) and the artists involved (a handle, but basically now just Colonel and another guy who is making a beta Lively island) in the relatively short period we could have a mini mod, with a complete individual weapons pack (comprising for the first time after Ofp the Blowpipe portable SAM and the argentine Instalaza Super Bazooka), british and argentine troops, a few aircraft (Konyo' CH47s, Foxtrop IA58 Pucara and A4 Skyhawk, maybe a retextured UH-1H), some vehicles (according to CWR2 permission, the whole CWR2/BAF series with Scorpion, Scimitar, FV432 Ambulance, Landrover and Bedford, while the argentines could have the "Canadiense" 5T truck and the Mercedes jeep) and some static weapons (BIS M2 Browning mgs with P82 crew, 81mm mortars, L119 Lightgun for british, D30 for the argentines simulating the Citefa howitzer).

Other stuff (Like the C-130s, Harrier series, Mirages, Super Etendard, SA330 Puma, Alouette III, A109, Scout, Gazelle, Sea King, Phanard, Unimogs etc...) and ships (HMS Hermes and Invincible, Type 21 and 42, LCU, ARA Guerrico, ARA Santa Fe SSN) are at early stage and need a lot of work.

For this I invite again who can and want, to give some effort.

The Project is very promising, the mod is involved in an interesting historical background not sci-fi, we have a lot fo stuff and good ideas do develop, old Ofp missions ready to be imported and so on, what we lack is time and manpower.

Who would like to give a little effort is more than welcome...

Stay tuned gents !

Excellent news all round, as the models are old MLODS from OFP I take it these are CBFASI's old ships from the Flashpoint: Falklands Mod?

For what WE have available at the moment

Correct Alex, sorry.

I do have the majority of the workload at the moment though.

Alex is right to say that the first "official release" will include a small island, a full complement of infantry for both sides with infantry weapons, some static weapons for both sides, some objects for mission objectives, and some light vehicles.

To give a rough idea of the content for a first release:

• Infantry Weapons for both sides
  • Argentine Infantry
  • Argentine Marine Commandos
  • Argentine Marine Special Forces
  • Argentine UH1H
  • Argentine Unimog trucks
  • Argentine Mercedes Jeep
  • Argentine AML-90
  • Royal Marines
  • Parachute Regiment
  • SAS
  • British CRRC
  • British Landrover
  • Static Weapons for both sides (M2, FN MAG Tripod, Oerlikon 35mm, L18 Mortar, L118 Light gun)
  • Carcass Island, by Jakerod, who has agreed to create a small utes sized island to fight over :)

Great news !

I will see if will be possible adding Konyo's CH-47 (UK and argentine) already completed but with proper pilots, and Foxtrop planes (IA-58 Pucara and Skyhawks).

Hope also some P82 guys of the "first hours" will find time to work again for this mod in the next future.

Thanks again Colonel !

Have you thought about using the 40x40km Falklands map the community started making a few years back?

Don't!!

I made that original scale demo and it was exactly that - a "scale demo"... its seriously unsatisfactory for several reasons...

Firstly - it was an early effort and the quality is pretty woeful... :(

Secondly, its a 4096x4096 heightmap - that's OK for "no object demos" but there's a bug in the Arma 2 Visitor which prevents proper object placement on 4096x4096 heightmaps, so when you got to the building locations stage you'd be severely hampered...

And finally, even by maxing out Arma 2 Visitor totally with a 4096x4096 heightmap at a fairly crude (Sahrani-era) 10 meter ground res, the biggest terrain you can effectively manage would be... around 40x40km...

The Falkland islands are bigger than that - a LOT bigger....

Falkland_small_zps327b0a79.jpg

The red square outline is approximately 279km x 279km - that's approximately the same size as Eighty One! of Arma 3's Altis terrains arranged in a 9 x 9 grid!

Simply not possible with Arma 2 tech...

The alternative is to "scale" - as I did with my original demo (which was really designed less as a serious alternative and more as a means of demonstrating the impossibility of a 1:1 representation)...

The problem with scaling is that you end up with a "minature golf" style landscape... To squeeze the whole of the Falklands into a mere 40x40km you'd need a roughly 600% reduction - all distances and heights would be at least a sixth of their realworld equivalents... 600 meter hills become 100 meter small mounds, every house would need to be the size of a dog kennel...

If I remember correctly, most of this conflict happened on the East island... by literally editing out the entire West island and zooming-in on the East only, you could reduce that scaling level by a fair bit, but probably still not enough to muster an effective "overall map"...

I think you guys are definitely best focussing on specific conflict or scenario areas, Port Stanley, etc - areas you can effectively depict at a reasonable or even 1:1 scale, otherwise you could end up with a lot of work and a less than satisfactory outcome...

Carcass Island, by Jakerod, who has agreed to create a small utes sized island to fight over

Great news! Jakerod totally knows what he's doing!

B

The only other option is to create an East Falkland Map as Bushlurker suggests, otherwise try to import (Travis aka Dragula made an effort last year) old good ArmA Nicholas Bell Port Stanley/Porto Argentino map, replacing old Ofp era huts and houses with ArmA2 chernarus wooden houses (similar in some ways to those present on the Falklands) hemps, grass etc...

Typical and not replacebale objects/buildings (Saint Mary's church for example) cannot be replaced in a short time, so might be retained as they are, or rebuilt from scratch.

I'm also sure that Jakerod totally knows what he's doing, so I'm kore that confident of the good quality of work we will see.

537945_10201669344191811_1778760786_n.jpg

what I been working on,

1; give lot stomping area

2; lot space for aircraft. 4 air flield, 3 of grass

3; place for boat and ship operations. 3 ports

4; will cover areas where city operations can take place.

5; ground style, rocks, low area and little wash out valleys to give concealment, plant life should give Atlantic feel.

6; little farms and things to discover too.

Simply great !

An entire East Falkland map with all the main areas of operation !

Can't wait to see some more screenies.

Carry on the great work !

we need Penguins small army, flightless birds living almost exclusively aquatic. lol

size. height map, 2048x2048, 40x40 try to put some fox hole/ earth works around the map.

:yay: have contest, fan/mod help to come up, with map menu pic and icon. the pic and icon don't need to come from the same people.

map name "aquatic rage"

512x128 pixel menu image

version "mark 0.1"

base on Falkland lay out, still genetic island.

Edited by dragula

Great work Colonel !

I can see proper troops and their weapons with amount of details typical of the conflict, SAS with their characteristic bergen, Paras with fibre helmet and foliage camo, argentine Unimog truck, and an argentine soldier with Mauser sniping rifle.

Looking great, nice to see this period coming to life, only seems like yesterday the actual war, time fly's..

well got the clutter to work only to color will work, any one out there will help with this mask and clutter config. would be great I stuck at this. after that it will be smooth sailing. the new object are looking good too got 20 custom rock for new cover too. new building are model, still config.

If you send me the layer mask file and the island config(s), I can have a look.

Although... Jakerod will be more than capable of fixing this IMO.

Cheers

&

Keep it up!

Edited by Dimitri_Harkov

Dimitri thank you mate, yes really like to get over this bump in the road.

Really a nice Mirage III EA in fighter version mate !

The IAI Dagger might need to move the roundel a bit forward as well the Mirage III, but apart this and some little hints, the camo looks perfect...

Carry on the good work !

The Dagger/Nesher was a bad, bad plane for Argentina... In Yom Kippur War it did great, destroyed over 100 planes (with only 5 losses!), but been used under the medditerranean weather (clear), short ranges and with the "right" enemies (early MiG-21, MiG-17 etc.). In Falkland, however, the weather was worse (Dagger has no RADAR), the distance was longer, and the British had better planes and missiles than 9 years earlier...

I guess a wrack object for it will be neccesary... :p

Looks great!

The Dagger and the Mirage III were at their limit combat radius when over the Falklands area, they had just three or four minutes to spend over the target, they performed quite well with several hits on royal navy ships (actually no ships were sunk, but several found hit and damaged, basically for bombs unexploded due to fuses failures), with no radar and no moder ECM they were able to pass through the air defences of the fleet (Sea Dart, Sea Wolf, Sea Cat, plus various AAA) and did something, see the famous pictures of Dagger flying at deck level over RN ships.

In the air superiority role the topic is different, with limited time and speed (they came over the area with 1300 ltr drop tanks that limited speed) and no efficient AAM (first version of israeli made Shafrirs for Daggers, Matra 530 and 550 for Mirages) and probably with insufficient air combat training (almost compared with excellent AA training of the british pilots) they performed badly, almost 12 were shot down by Sea Harriers and air defence.

Anyway a nice addon for the mod !

Happened upon this thread via a google search. With the release of the 270 km2 Altis in Arma 3, it occurred to me that it is now possible to create a 100% scale Falkland Islands map in Arma 3. I saw that the author of this project has no interest in working with Arma 3, but I was just curious if anyone else was working on a Falklands map? Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised that no one pounced on it as soon as the size of Altis was revealed. Surely somebody is in the planning stages somewhere?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I was confused about what "270km2" meant. What a drag.

Edited by KingKenny04