Sign in to follow this  
jelf

A few questions about the difficulty settings.

Sorry if some of these have been asked before. I've tried searching the forums but couldn't find some of the answers.

I just need some explanation on these several objects and what they do:

1. Auto guide AT

2. Clock indicator

3. YOU WERE KILLED

4. VON ID

5. Extended armor

Thanks.

Kinda vague, but i'll try to guess

Increased difficulty setting will remove some helpful guide in the game, the highest difficulty will have no cross-hair, amount of ammo, waypoint and etc. AI behavior is the same.

1. Auto guide AT :-

-AT have 3 type if i'm not mistaken

- 1. Dumb fire - Aim and fire, projectile drop characteristic. SMAW, RPG etc

- 2. Wire guided - Fire and guide the rocket using the aiming reticule. Metis, NLAW etc

- 3. Radar lock - Aim, radar will try to lock hence the beeping sound fire when lock achieved. Javelin AA launchers etc

Auto guide will help you kinda like auto aim for wire guided weapons i think.

2. Clock indicator

- The one in arma is kinda vague, but in coop this is how you use it

Eg. Your units is moving N where the AO (area of operation) is located. while moving, N will be your 12 o'clock. Team members will shout 3 o'clock for enemies detected at your E and etc based on the clock face.

- But after your mission is complete and you start moving S, 12 o'clock will be your S. So if your are zig zagging, reply from AI will get pretty unclear but you can easily see it by looking at the clock icon that appear on your right screen.

No indicator on highest difficulty setting

3. You were killed - On higher difficulty on online server no message will appear when you died, so it's kind ahard to know if you just killed another player or just an AI

4. VON ID - Name of player using a mic on VON (Voice over network) will not appear when he push the talk button on highest difficulty

5. Extended armor - not really sure about this one

Edited by gunso

So the higher difficulties do NOT affect how effective/accurate/tough the opponent AI is relative to the human player in singleplayer?

Thanks for the info :)

So the higher difficulties do NOT affect how effective/accurate/tough the opponent AI is relative to the human player in singleplayer?

The factors that affect AI ability are multiple, and the 'skill' slider in the 'Difficulty' setting is currently a crude instrument. Check out the discussion in the thread for Robalo's excellent addon ASR_AI, and that for the very useful 'Jedra's Skills Slider'. ASR_AI, amongst other useful features like automatic AI rearming, sets AI accuracy & precision to values that defend on the unit's class. JSS enables the user to tweak pretty much every important feature - accuracy, spot time, spot distance, courage, etc. Jedra also posted a spreadsheet detailing Robalo's settings for a variety of units in the i44 v2.6 thread.

Yeah if you want to play with different AI ability you need to use mods that listed above.

jelf: BI really need to add some context-sensitive help, i.e. short descriptions of the difficulty options when you mouse-over.

The reason is that the game is complex, the labels aren't exactly intuitive and these options can have a VERY significant impact on the game.

Gunso is right, give Robalo's ASR AI mod a spin.

It's relatively easy to install and works right off the bat.

Just be sure to edit your difficulty settings accordingly as described in the thread.

Thank you guys for all the help.

I'll try the mod and see what it does.