Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Army of the Czech Republic DLC

I think everyone agrees that Steam offers more convenience than Sprocket

But I also think that everyone agrees that they'd prefer 100% of the money to go to BIS (instead of 70%)

It's not just that, when I buy from Sprocket I can use either a download or DVD install source and I can sell or loan a copy to friends who might be in need of one (I have three copies of CO). Whatever its up-sides Steam is still ultimately a DRM technology designed to keep you from transferring ownership of licenses you've legally purchased. For this reason I generally only buy on Steam when titles are heavily discounted.

That and when Steam goes belly up in the future (or removes the support for the game) you will lose all your games. You may say "oh that's not going to happen / that's too far into the future anyway" but look - guys buying from Direct2Drive also thought so and OFP is still played 11 years after its release.

BIS uses DRM for the first months but they later remove it and so your game will work at any time. Steam never removes DRM.

It's not just that, when I buy from Sprocket I can use either a download or DVD install source and I can sell or loan a copy to friends who might be in need of one (I have three copies of CO). Whatever its up-sides Steam is still ultimately a DRM technology designed to keep you from transferring ownership of licenses you've legally purchased. For this reason I generally only buy on Steam when titles are heavily discounted.

Hence the 3rd sentence of my post (which you failed to quote).

You're preaching the converted.

It's Sprocket all the way baby!

Notthing is as convenient as going to the store and buying a hardcopy. Come home, install the game. Don't know something? Look it up in the added paper manual.

simple as f**** :)

Notthing is as convenient as going to the store and buying a hardcopy. Come home, install the game. Don't know something? Look it up in the added paper manual.

Amen! Would be an instant deal for me ...

Kinda seems like most games don't even come with a paper manual anymore.

Not to say BIS wouldn't include one, but that is the current trend.

Most current games are not complex enough to warrant a paper manual...

It seems to me some users prefer to be back in the eighties with the manuals on red paper so you couldn't photocopy them and having the game tell you to type in the word from page x, line y, position z.

I never thought, at my advanced years, I'd be pointing and laughing at an other user because they refuse to drag themselves out of the decade before last.

I haven't read a manual since the late 90s/early 2000s, and that was because there was something worth reading back then. Now it's just a quick overview of the installation, control setup, epilepsy warning, credits & the standard legal content. Either that or just a leaflet telling you where to download the manual. ;)

Anyways, I don't think you'll see this DLC in a hardcopy. Unless perhaps - though very unlikely, seeing how close we're getting to ArmA 3 - another DLC comes out. Something along the line of A2: Reinforcements.

Well, DLC is Downloadable content, thus it's made of addons which aren't expensive enough to be worth being printed and distributed.

What annoys me about manuals these days is that they are full mostly of health and safety bullshit. 'If you feel tired, take a break'. Why, thank you Sherlock.

I think that this DLC will be realesed in box in Czech rep. :)

BTW Will be there T-72M4CZ? It must be there!

BTW Will be there T-72M4CZ? It must be there!

I hope so too and please add new vehicles like the LMV http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EwgjDdiKJJM/Tx-vJsoaqII/AAAAAAAABJI/SYiRuo93vfU/s1600/LMV_Czech_light_multirole_wheeleed_armoured_vehicle_Iveco_Defence_Vehicles_Czech_Republic_army_002.jpg

I noticed a Land Rover in one of the screenies,please BI take into consideration not adding/retexturing to ACR many existing vehicles found in A2CO.At least keep a balance between new fresh vehicles and retextures.Dingo and Pandur are a great direction you're heading.

Regarding manuals,last games I needed one was the X2-X3 space games series.Those are games where you really need a manual.:)

25% off now in bistore. :) Just bought it.

I would bite a bullet and buy it if there is at least some hope that buying these DLCs won't be in vain when ArmA3 comes out (which is very soon)

Having the access to content from previous games is one of the reasons I buy ArmA (apart from many other). I kinda like BAF, it will be a pity if I will not be able to have these units in ArmA3.

What I mean is at least BIS allowing for them to get ported/porting them.

I would bite a bullet and buy it if there is at least some hope that buying these DLCs won't be in vain when ArmA3 comes out (which is very soon)

Having the access to content from previous games is one of the reasons I buy ArmA (apart from many other). I kinda like BAF, it will be a pity if I will not be able to have these units in ArmA3.

What I mean is at least BIS allowing for them to get ported/porting them.

That would be awesome, but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

I'd pre-order it right this second.... But the BI store is down. *sigh*

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Even without porting potential, I'd say the two new official islands are worth it. And while units might not be easy to port, I can't see BI regressing so far as to keep these islands from being community ported to A3 once it's released. It'd make no sense at all to do it that way, so I'll just have a little hope in BI's business sense and trust that they'll do the right thing.

Edited by TheCapulet

its definately worth it. i mean cherna and taki are great but new islands for the win :) (and cherna in summer oh yes yes ^^)

and it wont be too soon till a3 comes out I guess. half a year can be very long... very long^^

Ivan Buchta hinted that Chernarus 2.0 will come for ArmA3's DayZ no?

I'd pre-order it right this second.... But the BI store is down. *sigh*

"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

Me too, but I'm afraid that sprocket has been overrun. How long will this offer last . . . somebody know?

I managed to create an account after trying all day. Then it went down again. lol. I give up.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Well, I didn't give up right away, but I don't have a choice at this point. Got the "order" through, but when it came to paying, it's the end of the road for me. Visa, mastercard, doesn't matter. It won't even get to a screen that lets me put in my CC info. I just get this:

Capture-1.jpg

And then this:

Capture-2.jpg

I guess this is the real reason Steam is superior. It actually works?

I'd love to give you my money, BI, but first fix your crap!

I shouldn't have to try this hard to give my money away. *shrug*

Edited by TheCapulet

I'm surprised they haven't sorted this out yet.

There are 2 solutions:

Either you write their support and they set you up with a transfer through paypal (which will cost you some more)

Or ask any of your friends to buy it for you.

But then you quickly realize sprocket has no gift option either.

dlc is downloaded only or distribute in dvd?