Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

In pretty much the same situation here, and was thinking of a similar system :0

Out of curiosity what PSU are you getting?

I've ordered:

-i73770 3.4GHz (non 'k' version, don't think I'll be doing much/any overclocking)

-8GB Corsair Low profile

-ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo

-OCZ Octane-S2 128GB SSD (I'll also stick my old 500GB HDD in after erasing everything on it.)

-be quiet! 550W PSU

I guess if I wanted a card bigger than a GTX 560 I'd need a bigger PSU?

I'll probably stick to this badboy anyway

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Rf56AL-pm3Y/TT6kxh4b7gI/AAAAAAAAIjU/XeSisCGrwU0/s1600/asus-gtx-560-ti.jpg

---[Edit]---

In fact I may just wait for the GTX 660 to be released and either take that or get myself a cheap 560 (reduced in price to make way for the 660)

a good 550W PSU is enough for a single GTX680. The rig in my sig is powered by a 525W EnermaxPro 82+. I still have enough power for 2-3 additional HDDs if need be(atm 2SSDs, 3HDDs)

Processor: AMD Phenon â„¢ II X4 965, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor (Processor 3.40)

RAM: 8GB – (x2) DDR3-1600 4GB/256X8 CL9 Memory

System Type: 64-bit Operating System (Windows 7)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Hard Drive: WD 1TB SATA 6GB/s

Any advice? I plan on upgrading the Video Card (gtx 680???) come this December after the alpha / beta, but do you think that the Phenon II X4 can handle the load on high end graphics in ArmA 3? Also, should I upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 16GB...or will this be over-kill? Finally, I plan on getting a SSD...any advice on which one to buy? I'm willing to spend up to $600 to $800 to improve my Computer. I've got the high end power supply, so it won't be a problem. Maybe someone has a better strategy in mind to where I can make my $600-$800 go further on power so I can get at least 40-60 fps on Ultra High graphics? This is a great community, I'm glad to be a part of it. Thanks.

Edited by rehtus777

That should do the job, though I think the advice you've been given with regard to 1600 mhz RAM is correct. Unless you you plan to overclock your mobo will probably default to 1600 anyway, and the 10'er will be down the drain. Saved it and make the decision re graphics cards easier.

Ok well ill go for the 1600 then, thanks. Ram is so cheap these days i suppose it doesnt matter if you only use it for a year and then upgrade. Hopefully this new rig runs arma 3 comfortably because i always played oa and a2 on very low settings :D

Boom, release 3rd week of August http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-ti-launch-3rd-week-august/

£200 = 250-260EUR = $300 seems... average, but then again 560s then will be diiirt-cheap...

..goddamnit, new computer parts just arrived (everything excluding gfx card) and are just sitting here uselessly next to me -.-

Awesome thanks for that link, glad i waited now. Sorry you didnt though maybe you can just return it and wait a month ;)

Processor: AMD Phenon â„¢ II X4 965, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core, 4 Logical Processor (Processor 3.40)

RAM: 8GB – (x2) DDR3-1600 4GB/256X8 CL9 Memory

System Type: 64-bit Operating System (Windows 7)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Hard Drive: WD 1TB SATA 6GB/s

Any advice? I plan on upgrading the Video Card (gtx 680???) come this December after the alpha / beta, but do you think that the Phenon II X4 can handle the load on high end graphics in ArmA 3? Also, should I upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 16GB...or will this be over-kill? Finally, I plan on getting a SSD...any advice on which one to buy? I'm willing to spend up to $600 to $800 to improve my Computer. I've got the high end power supply, so it won't be a problem. Maybe someone has a better strategy in mind to where I can make my $600-$800 go further on power so I can get at least 40-60 fps on Ultra High graphics? This is a great community, I'm glad to be a part of it. Thanks.

If I were you, I'd save up at least $1600 and build a new computer when the new Intel haswell processor comes out. Now, with that being said, with what you have NOW I don't doubt that ArmA 3 will run satisfactory.

Edited by samyG

There are some earlier posts discussing RAM and what frequency speed to buy them in, and for the record, what one REALLY wants to look at is the timing. Chances are, 8gb of ram at 1333 BUT with a time of 7-7-7-21 will actually be better than RAM with a frequency of 1600 but with a time of 9-9-9-24.

For reference, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26/

I am definatley upgrading, i am thinking 32GB Ram, 3TB HDD, 500GB SSD, 6GB Nvidia Graphics Card, 2 x 27" Monitors, Asus Rampage IV Motherboard, Fastest Intel Core i7 Processor available, and a 1500w PSU, anything i am missing please feel free to let me know, i should have it all before Arma3 is released, i know alot will say it is over kill but i like to have the freedom to do whatever and not have any lag

^^Troll detected. Please do not respond or feed.

I'm still debating on whether to get an SSD, anyone have any thoughts on it? Will I notice a significant difference in-game without one?

I don't care much about loading times and such, but will there be a noticeable difference in stutter? I'm speculating right now obviously, I guess I'll find out when the community alpha comes out.

I really don't want to spend more money, I'll RAMdisk if possible instead of an SSD.

Edited by ruhtraeel

^^ A cheaper way to go might be a cache ssd, crucial offer a couple that self install on existing drives saving some trouble. But you'd have to be accessing your ArmA files often enough for the system to cache them. I'd think with 16Gb RAM you could try your hand at a ram disk first.

Just curious to see how many people are going to upgrade because of this game. I will be grabbing two GTX 670's soon before the game launches. I would love to see this game in it's full glory since I had trouble optimizing for ARMA 2 and the 20k view distance might be a hassle :D.

Regardless of ARMA 3, the cards would be a significant upgrade over my 5850's and I'm about due for an upgrade.

What upgrades do you think you're getting before ARMA 3?

If not, what are your specs?

I have an i7 3.4 Ghz with 16gb ram and a GTX 580. I doubt I'll upgrade. I'll see ghow the gamne runs when it is in alpha :-)

Cheers Bo

^ Yea hopefully people post their results during the beta for people like me still deciding on a card :)

At the rate they are dropping features from ArmA3, will we really need to upgrade? :)

At the rate they are dropping features from ArmA3, will we really need to upgrade? :)

Please tell me that's a joke...

What have they dropped? I really hope they don't cripple the game -_-

Not really cripple, but there's sad news indeed.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17263

Anyway, I already upgraded for ArmA 3. Got my GTX 680 so I should be all set.

Well it sounds like this game is going to be released towards next summer to me based on the tone of that interview. Definitely dont see it arriving before feb/march.

Most definitely, I am pretty much set in the CPU & RAM department i7 2600k@4.5ghz & 8GB Ram. only thing I will be adding is a second GTX570 to my rig for SLi, I can't wait. my main concern is that the community blossoms a bit more than it is currently, very difficult for me to find more than 2 good servers to play on at any given time.

New build is all ready to go apart from gpu, cant wait for arma 3. When i get a card ill probably reinstall arma2 co to fill in the time before arma 3 release :)

You guys think I should upgrade?

current specs:

Core I5 2500k@4.5 ghz

2x XFX 6970s in Crossfire at 8x/8x running 1450/950 overclock

16gb Corsair vengeance ram@9-9-9-24@1600 mhz

Asus P8z68-V Pro Motherboard

TrackIr 5

T Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

Razer Anansi Keyboard

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset

Razer Naga Mouse

Blue Yeti Microphone w/naddy pop fiilter connected to boom stand

Logitech g13 hand pad for custom keybinds

Razer Nostromo for in game custom keybinds

3x 27' inch Asus monitors for Eyefinity.

2x Corsair Force 3 GT SSD in raid 0@240gb@1005r/1000w

2x Western Digital Hdds: 2tb in Raid 0

Creative Fatality champion pci-e 7.1 sound card

Corsair H100 CPU Cooler w/ 4 fans in push/pull config running cougar fans.

New Dish Reciever in game room with HD DVR and 42' HDTV@1080P for watching tv till Arma 3 community alpha releases.

New ottoman full size swivel chair, with swivel foot rest.

New full window sized air conditioner cooled by water injection for the hot summer

Prolly alot more, but got tired typing.

Should I upgrade for Arma 3? (Being serious :) )

Edited by ArchAngelAlien

You guys think I should upgrade?

current specs:

Core I5 2500k@4.5 ghz

2x XFX 6970s in Crossfire at 8x/8x running 1450/950 overclock

16gb Corsair vengeance ram@9-9-9-24@1600 mhz

Asus P8z68-V Pro Motherboard

TrackIr 5

T Flight Hotas X Flight Stick

Razer Anansi Keyboard

Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headset

Razer Naga Mouse

Blue Yeti Microphone w/naddy pop fiilter connected to boom stand

Logitech g13 hand pad for custom keybinds

Razer Nostromo for in game custom keybinds

3x 27' inch Asus monitors for Eyefinity.

2x Western Digital Hdds: 2tb in Raid 0

Creative Fatality champion pci-e 7.1 sound card

Corsair H100 CPU Cooler w/ 4 fans in push/pull config running cougar fans.

New Dish Reciever in game room with HD DVR and 42' HDTV@1080P for watching tv till Arma 3 community alpha releases.

New ottoman full size swivel chair, with swivel foot rest.

New full window sized air conditioner cooled by water injection for the hot summer

Prolly alot more, but got tired typing.

Should I upgrade for Arma 3? (Being serious :) )

Yes, the three 27" monitors is too much for two cards.

And treat yourself to an SSD while you are at it.

Yes, the three 27" monitors is too much for two cards.

And treat yourself to an SSD while you are at it.

and 2-2TB Mechanical drives in raid 0. You suggest me get more ssds? lol

and 2-2TB Mechanical drives in raid 0. You suggest me get more ssds? lol

Oops, missed the SSDs. XD

Still get more GFX power though, you don't need it but will want it. ;)

I find myself just gaming on 1 monitor most of the time so I can monitor my temperatures and chat and browse the web sometimes. The bezels drive me crazy.

I find myself just gaming on 1 monitor most of the time so I can monitor my temperatures and chat and browse the web sometimes. The bezels drive me crazy.

You get used to it after a while I guess.

If A3 has the same amount of HUD customisation as Take-On you will be wanting to use more than one though, you can have one full screen just for your GPS if you like and can have all the HUD elements completely away from the centre screen keeping it clutter free.