Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

I will be buying a new computer for A3.

I may also buy another later on when I'm tired of the maximum capabilities of the first A3 machine and wish to take advantage of any potential system requirement increasing addons/scripts/mission sets, etc.

Haha :D

I also will get me a new rig as soon as ArmA 3 got released. Its' specs will get close to a spaceshuttle :P Hopefully the price range for current monster GPUs such as the GTX690 will drop by then...

I too just upgraded to a GTX 680. My system is ready for ARMA III. If we learned anything from previous ARMAs, it is that it is better to be overkill than be underkill specswise.

I too just upgraded to a GTX 680. My system is ready for ARMA III. If we learned anything from previous ARMAs, it is that it is better to be overkill than be underkill specswise.

That's why it is probably too early to upgrade...

I think the best thing to do is to wait for alpha release and then most of us will know.

Two months away if Im correct.

Haha :D

I also will get me a new rig as soon as ArmA 3 got released. Its' specs will get close to a spaceshuttle :P Hopefully the price range for current monster GPUs such as the GTX690 will drop by then...

The space shuttle runs on a 1970's IBM processor with 1mb of RAM btw

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

1980's whoops

I'm worried about the VRAM on the 680. 2GB is not just not enough for full view distance. There're 4GB versions but impossible to find water blocks for them.

I'm worried about the VRAM on the 680. 2GB is not just not enough for full view distance.

Source?

I've ordered an IBM Bluegene system, should be able to run A3 at least in the lowest settings.

(Still negotiating with my local power plant manufacturer...)

Xeno

I think im going to be building my computer apart from gfx and then when arma is released ill wait and see the feedback from the community on the various cards, right now i dont see much point in buying the card if you definitely want good performance on arma 3.

I plan to upgrade my GFX (currently GTX 250), and get an SSD.

I guess my i7 950 will be enough for Arma 3.

But I know what's gonna happen... I won't be able to decide what to get because I will drown in all the options and discussions and analysis! :)

Edited by Variable

That's a bit misleading to say. It's completely up to your BIOS. In some cases you'll get an even lower default-ratio for your RAM speed, which has to be changed manually. It's really funny to see how many people there are spending extra money on fast RAM, but doesnt know that they most often have to set it up manually in BIOS to actually get that performance. It can also create problems and instability on your system if they require a certain level of voltage to run properly, which will also have to be set manually. I know OCZ are known for this on their hardcore series. Same goes for timings. So if you're buying fast RAM you better get into how to set them up properly.

But as mentioned, fast RAM doesnt do any difference in games at all. It's only good for RAMdisk, certain applications and overclocking (To avoid bottlenecking). And what the motherboard manufacturer suggests is just what's "officially supported", often outdated info. Most motherboards can achieve 2133Mhz and more.

Think i might go for the 2133 ripjaws then tbh, ok they may not make much difference in games but it cant hurt to have the faster ram for the sake of about ten pound extra.

I am wandering whether my HD7870 is suitable.

It's suitable.

Hopefully Arma 3 will work on my current system:

i7 920

ASUS P6T

ATI HD 4850 512Mb

6Gb DDR3 1800Mhz

I'm trying to graduate and will buy a new computer after I found a job. Maybe a year or so from now on.

Did just upgrade due to the fact that my ole rig broke down (Stone age DualCore which was already struggling with the most essential missions)

i7 3770 K

3.5 Ghz

8GB DDR3

Invidia CTX 560

2 terrabyte HD

120 gb SSD

Running Arma from the normal HD was already quite an experience. Now having sufficient computing power makes everything run how it's supposed to be. Reaction time of AI is now short and lethal. No more corrupt waypoints etc. . . . seems to be a different game now.

It's a difference like having sex with an ugly chick and having sex with a beauty queen. LOL :cool:

Cheers.

Edited by nettrucker

nettrucker do you have Arma 2 installed in the SSD? And if yes did you feel any difference?

i7 3770

3.5 Ghz

8GB DDR5

Invidia CTX 560

2 terrabyte HD

120 gb SSD

In pretty much the same situation here, and was thinking of a similar system :0

Out of curiosity what PSU are you getting?

I've ordered:

-i73770 3.4GHz (non 'k' version, don't think I'll be doing much/any overclocking)

-8GB Corsair Low profile

-ASUS P8Z77-V LX mobo

-OCZ Octane-S2 128GB SSD (I'll also stick my old 500GB HDD in after erasing everything on it.)

-be quiet! 550W PSU

I guess if I wanted a card bigger than a GTX 560 I'd need a bigger PSU?

I'll probably stick to this badboy anyway

asus-gtx-560-ti.jpg

---[Edit]---

In fact I may just wait for the GTX 660 to be released and either take that or get myself a cheap 560 (reduced in price to make way for the 660)

Edited by SASrecon

I am waiting to see how good the 660 is aswell because a few pages earlier i was also thingking about the 560ti but was wondering if it would actually handle arma 3 at a decent level setting.

Im ordering my parts as soon as i get a day off next week and right now im thinking about going for this:

Asrock z77 Extreme 4, (not the best z77 board but has all the features i need plus a good price).

i5 3570k

8gb g skill 2133 ddr3 ram

560ti/660

small ssd for windows installation and around 500gb to 1tb normal hdd.

Undecided about at the moment about psu and cpu cooling but im looking around at the moment for those 2.

What does everyone think about that rig?

8gb g skill 2133 ddr3 ram

560ti/660

small ssd for windows installation and around 500gb to 1tb normal hdd.

Undecided about at the moment about psu and cpu cooling but im looking around at the moment for those 2.

What does everyone think about that rig?

That should do the job, though I think the advice you've been given with regard to 1600 mhz RAM is correct. Unless you you plan to overclock your mobo will probably default to 1600 anyway, and the 10'er will be down the drain. Saved it and make the decision re graphics cards easier.

nettrucker do you have Arma 2 installed in the SSD? And if yes did you feel any difference?

Hi Nikiforos

yes I have ArmA II on my SSD. I did not gain in frames if I run ArmA II from the SSD but the annoying LOD switching and the texture popping up later is practically gone and the game feels a lot smoother rather than when I'm running ArmA from my normal HD. So no frame rate gain but a lot smoother playing experience.

@ SASrecon

My PSU is only 500W and it might be that I have to upgrade my PSU but as long as I'm not encountering troubles I leave it that way. In any case I can confirm that CPU power is essential to run ArmA as it's supposed to be. More power your processor have the better you are off in run ability of the game. On my old Dual core I had avery kind of problems. AI non reactive. Waypoints have been corrupt due to missing computing power.

Now it's a whole new ball game. Never had so much fun playing ArmA when your rig is up to the task.

cheers

Hopefully Arma 3 will work on my current system:

i7 920

ASUS P6T

ATI HD 4850 512Mb

6Gb DDR3 1800Mhz

I'm trying to graduate and will buy a new computer after I found a job. Maybe a year or so from now on.

Everything except the ATI 4850 is way above the recommended specs for Arma. You should just replace it with something newer and you are set for the next year.

Edited by Angle

I am waiting to see how good the 660 is aswell because a few pages earlier i was also thingking about the 560ti but was wondering if it would actually handle arma 3 at a decent level setting.
Boom, release 3rd week of August http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-ti-launch-3rd-week-august/
the GK104 based 1344 CUDA core count, 192 bit and 1.5 GB GDDR5 based graphics card i.e. the GTX 660 Ti will hit retail for an expected price of around $299 including taxes.

So better start selling off your GTX 560’s before this comes and creates a bigger turmoil for their value or what’s left it after the launch.

£200 = 250-260EUR = $300 seems... average, but then again 560s then will be diiirt-cheap...

..goddamnit, new computer parts just arrived (everything excluding gfx card) and are just sitting here uselessly next to me -.-

Edited by SASrecon