Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

Just swapped out my i7 950 for an i7 980x, second hand off ebay. It has been lapped and it runs ice cold and a lot faster than my 950 without changing any settings other than clock speeds. Things a beast, instant 4k increase in Vantage without touching a thing and once overclocked it is "Wowee" fast. Never seen anything tear benchmarks a new arse like it.

Now just GFX card number three to get and I am set.

Nope, will not be upgrading my entire rig for a single game. My current system (which is a 1.5 years old) is able to play Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, DCS and all other recent games on ultra settings at 50-60 fps with little difficulty. I expect ArmA 3 to be playable at reasonably high settings with my current system. If not, I will hold out purchasing/playing it until a new rig becomes a necessity for 90% of other future games I plan to purchase.

Basically, I'm expecting much better optimization of ArmA 3 than we saw with ArmA 2, as this was one of ArmA 2 biggest downfalls and something BIS should prioritize if their aim is to improve ArmA.

I don't think the E-450 APU in my DM1 will handle the 20k view distance, so probably yeah..

Q9650 OC'd to 3.6ghz

XFX 780 mobo

8gig Kingston 800mhz

GTX 285

W7 64bit home premium

3x320gig HDs in Raid 5

320gig HD general storage

850w Thermaltake PSU

Its looking a bit old but hasn't choked on anything yet. I'm thinking a new 670 GPU, and droping my 320gig HDD for a 320 SDD and putting my OS and A3 on it should do OK.

I know what I said but the 'houshold' desktop entered its death throws and the core of my machine was in turn cannibalised and needed replacing

Though this upgrade isn't for ArmA, if it was I'd have a new grapics card (see spoiler in sig)

Hopefully I'll get some time to do some FR comparisons to gauge how much the leap is realy worth, for Arma I doubt it will be much, I have noticed A2 uses 6 cores when hyperthreading is disabled, but its not a balanced load, and I'm yet to see any statment about how A3 might be improved in this regard.

Gloat over.

PS.just as a reference compared to previous build, I get maybe a 5% improvement on A2's Benchtest01, an insignificant amount on a graphics intesive test. And about 25% improvement on A2's Benchtest02 wich is more CPU intesive, but an unlikely situation for most everyday gaming. No difference with hyperthreading on/off. Just proves that for everyday gaming, esp MP where a server is doing much of the calc for you, going over an i5 is overkill.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

I'm going to be so happy if they optimized the code better so it runs more consistent than ARMA 2. By the looks of it, I won't need to upgrade.

I will be upgrading my video card fr sure! Currently my 5670 doesn't really give me what I want at times, amd I've been looking at the 660(when its out) or the 7859. Nonetheless even Arma 2 will be a whole different experience :D

Nevermind

Edited by Pieman13
Wrong Thread

Doubt it.

I2500k @ 4.5

Nvidia 680 GTX 2GB

16 Gigs 1600 Ram (12 RamDisk'ed to Arma)

Standard 1TB HD

I don't think theres really anything to buy that would make me feel a profound difference tho if there is any type of PhysX GPU advantage I'll prolly SLI the 680. Another possibility is an SSD tho Im pretty happy with RamDisk so no urgency there either.

Can't wait - release da Kraken!!!

Upgrading my current rig (c2d 7400@2800MHz, Gigabyte Radeon HD4850, 6GB RAM 800MHz, some Corsair 450W PSU, SATA HDD) means upgrading everything (except peripherals) which means spending ~500 euro for playing one game (I don't play other games).

So first the demo / beta / whatever of Arma3 has to convince me that it's worth to do so.

I already upgraded, week ago.

|CPU| Intel i5 3570k

|MOBO| MSI Z77A-GD55

|GPU| MSI GeForce N570GTX 1280MB/320Bit GDDR5 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

|RAM| Patriot G2 DDR3 8GB(2x4GB) 1600Mhz

|PSU| OCZ GameXStream Pro 700W

|Hard Drive| WDC WD 3200AAJS, WDC WD 3200AAKS, Seagate ST3160815AS

|OS| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

|Computer Case| CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus

Of course I'm going to upgrade, just finished Harvest Red campaign and oh boy that dogs of war mission is so slow.

I'm saving my behind off for something special, but I'll only buy a new system when ArmA 3 is released, hopefully I might have £1500 saved by then.

I'll build a new rig once Arma 3 has a set release date, since there's nothing else I have to upgrade for right now, and preparing for Arma 3 now would be a waste of resources since there'd be so much new hardware and cheaper currently new hardware by then. I'll get a new CPU and an SSD, but I'm keeping the GPU (HD6950) and PSU (800W, if I'm not mistaken).

Yeah im going to purchase the first available quantum computer so I can run Arma 3 so what if im billions of dollars in debt it would be worth it.

Hopefully I will get more than 10fps in the benchmarks....

I`ll wait for the Community Alpha, at least, if not for ArmA 3 to be released before i do an upgrade or built an new Rig.

Yeah im going to purchase the first available quantum computer so I can run Arma 3 so what if im billions of dollars in debt it would be worth it.

Hopefully I will get more than 10fps in the benchmarks....

maybe grab yourself a console, i am pretty sure that will save you the trouble

I bought a new gaming PC. Arma 3 E3 presentations and previews made me put down the Xbox controller and get back into PC gaming. this game is obviously never coming to consoles, so it was time to come back to PCs.

Alienware Aurora-R4

Intel Core i7-3960X (Six Core Extreme, 15MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.2Ghz (water cooled)

8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 2133MHz

Nvidia GeForce GTX 690

1TB RAID 0 (2x 500GB SATA 6Gb/s) Solid State Hybrid

Alienware Aurora X79 with ALX Chassis

19-in-1 Media Card Reader

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English

Internal USB Bluetooth + WLAN

Single Drive: Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD,RW, CD-RW)

Power DVD 9.6, 3D

Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

I got military discount on my Alienware, for all you Alienware haters.

bump :P (only because I like this thread and one other)

i5-760 @ 4x4.066 MHz

GTX 580 Gainward Phantom 3GB @ 850 MHz

8 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT @ 2.133 MHz

Asus Maximus III Formula

Intel X-25M 160 GB SSD SATA-II

Waiting for Alpha to see how my rig will handle it.

Just hope Alpha will come with DX11 and fully woking Physix to see wether I will have to change my CPU, my GPU or both.

Well I just (''side'') upgraded the CPU, motherboard and GPU.

i5 3570K

under way is Asus P8Z77-V LE

XFX 7850

what I have: WD caviar black and WD velociraptor for OS but need to get an ssd too as I still don't have one (most likely samsung 830)

Also I very much like Bitfenix shinobi XL, so thats on my to get list as well :)

I`ll wait for the Community Alpha, at least, if not for ArmA 3 to be released before i do an upgrade or built an new Rig.

I heard about the Community Alpha. It got me so pumped, but the only thing is, I don't know how to get it in. Do I have to sign up or something?

I heard about the Community Alpha. It got me so pumped, but the only thing is, I don't know how to get it in. Do I have to sign up or something?

To qualify for the community alpha, first you have to learn to use the forum search function. :)

Im going to be doing a new build in the next few weeks that is not specifically for arma 3 but i do want it to be able to play arma 3, i know what im getting but the gfx card is the only thing im stuck on. Someones suggested the 560ti as in their opinion its half the price of some of the newer cards and not far off in performance and others tell me to go for the 300 pound cards.

What card would you guys recommend to me to be able to comfortably play arma 3 (yes i know its not out and exact minimum specifications arent either etc) to go along with a new ivy bridge set up? Bearing in mind im not one of these 4 way sli have to have everything completely maxed kind of guys. High settings would do me just fine.