Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

arma is the only game i ever upgrade my pc for. tho.. i hope my gtx580 will be able to run it.. if no, then i will had to buy one more.

i will most likely upgrade my gtx560ti on my "game rig" towards a 670/680, or a newer version of nvidia, AFTER A3 hits the stores. I'll wait on alpha/beta to see how all goes. Oh, and a SSD is already on the order.

Q9650 OC'd to 3.6ghz

XFX 780 mobo

8gig Kingston 800mhz

GTX 285

W7 64bit home premium

3x320gig HDs in Raid 5

320gig HD general storage

850w Thermaltake PSU

Its looking a bit old but hasn't choked on anything yet. I'm thinking a new 670 GPU, and droping my 320gig HDD for a 320 SDD and putting my OS and A3 on it should do OK.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

Regardless of ArmA3 itself, I'm gonna have to look into replacing or upgrading some of the aging parts in my pc that are running close to 5 years now. Already had the psu that's been in this build since it was assembled crap out on me 2 months ago, so it's either the cpu, mobo, or my main hdd that's gonna crap out on me next.

I don't think I will upgrade because hopefully my machine can run it maxed possibly without AA...

i5 2500k

Radeon 5870x2 Crossfired

16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

160 + 250GB 7200RPM HDD

I don't think I will upgrade because hopefully my machine can run it maxed possibly without AA...

i5 2500k

Radeon 5870x2 Crossfired

16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

160 + 250GB 7200RPM HDD

You can definitely run AA, but if you eye zoom into a bunch of trees i assume you might experience a FPS drop then.

You can definitely run AA, but if you eye zoom into a bunch of trees i assume you might experience a FPS drop then.

I would probably tweak it so it always stays at least above 30. I'm really hoping it's optimized better than ARMA 2. I can max out ARMA 2, but I have to turn HDR precision to 8. At 32 I get like 15 fps

PLEASE someone ask them at E3 what machine they are using and what you need to max out the game

EDIT:

The System Requirements Lab is just a database based on information from the Internet - it can't be considered as reliable source on the game which even not on the horizon of completion yet.

The good news for you, and all of us, is that member of our russian ARMA-community who was on Gamescom'2011 stated that presentation PC was just a Core i5 3.33GHz with 8Gb of RAM and GTX480 video.

This true?

Edited by ruhtraeel

I will let others take the leap first, then buy hardware based on other people's experiences.

CPU: AMD 6000+ 3.0 GHz

RAM: 2 GB DDR2

I guess I will have to upgrade on both fronts, but not before the release and not before I do this:

I will let others take the leap first, then buy hardware based on other people's experiences.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I would have to upgrade WinXP before release, I don't expect alpha will run on that, right?

Edited by Kernriver

I am going to be purchasing a bran new system at the tail end of the year, if A3 releases before then I can drool over other experiences for a short while, either way the rig I will get will be based on running A3 as smooth as I can. Current system hits just above minimum specs and only use XP (have vista but never use it).

So an SSD based Win7 8 gig + ram and latest graphics card will be the plan.

Exactly the idea I had too :)

Kernriver what is your GPU?

Geforce GTX 275, but I'm not going to upgrade, it'll have to do.

PLEASE someone ask them at E3 what machine they are using and what you need to max out the game

Oh LOL you have much to learn young padawan, If previous titles are anything to by I doubt that even they are 'maxing it out', at least I hope they aren't

K guys how do you think these specs will run A3?

i5 3570k

Asrock z77 Extreme 6

8gb ddr3 1600

2 x 6950 crossfired

1tb sata 2 7200rpm

Personally, I would chose an i7 cpu and the best nvidea card out their. Instead of 2 video cards. Especially considering that a great cpu is vital to ArmA and Nvidea cards has Physx compatibility, which also helps. 8gb ram is fine for the next 2-3 years.

DON'T get an i7, unless you do other 3d rendering stuff. It's a huge waste of money if you do. The only difference between your i5 and an i7 is that you don't have hyperthreading, which means no virtual cores. A lot of people say hyperthreading even lowers the performance in games, because games don't use more than 4 cores anyways.

But the new ivy bridge processors, like the ix 3xxx processors run 20 degrees hotter than Sandy Bridge ones, which means you should keep an eye on the temperatures while gaming.

Im not going to upgrade because of Arma 3, but I will use Arma 3 as a helper to see what I should get, cause if it can run arma 3 it can run everything.

Im going to upgrade my PC regardless of Arma.

Planning on getting a modern CPU (dunno which though since I have never overclocked before and would only use CPU mainly for gaming I don't encode do any 3d modeling AUTOCAD or anything like that).

new Motherboard (that actually offers BIOS updates and overclocking capability instead of a POS mobo i currently have).

Modern RAM I have DDR2 RAM I would like to get corsair vengeance 16GB 1600mhz RAM that would be blazing fast!

So in total another 500+ dollars towards my computer jeez this is getting quite expensive.

After that the only old stuff would be my CD/DVD drive, HDD and my Monitor.

All my components put together is about 2,000 dollars.

Then there are other things I would like to own like a TrackIR and Leap.

:(

yeah I think I need to buy new cpu cooler to get my i7 930 to run @ 3,6ghz hmm maybe 6gigs more to make it total 12gigs and new gpu I currently have hd5850 but I'm definitely going to wait for to release to pick a new card, but yeah I have to be able to play arma 3.

Quite honestly I wouldn't jump the gun on upgrading specifically for ArmA 3 just yet.

1. It is still quite awhile to go before any inkling of release. By the time it releases the current high-end stuff out there would be cheaper and newer hardware will be peaking.

2. It would be better to gauge performance by testing out and running the Alpha to the highest degrees that we can depending on what is implemented. This would be a starting point much more preferable than basing on speculation and half-whims.

After that I can consider on upgrading, which I will for ArmA 3 (possibly switching out to Intel/Nvidia from a current mid/high AMD build).

Quite honestly I wouldn't jump the gun on upgrading specifically for ArmA 3 just yet.

1. It is still quite awhile to go before any inkling of release. By the time it releases the current high-end stuff out there would be cheaper and newer hardware will be peaking.

2. It would be better to gauge performance by testing out and running the Alpha to the highest degrees that we can depending on what is implemented. This would be a starting point much more preferable than basing on speculation and half-whims.

After that I can consider on upgrading, which I will for ArmA 3 (possibly switching out to Intel/Nvidia from a current mid/high AMD build).

Exactly, if you upgrade now you have a (more or less) outdated box on ArmA3 release. Esp. if there is no need for upgrading right now, you can save a lot of money because prices for current hardware will drop a lot. What I would buy now is memory because prices going up right now (of course they also can be down by then).

I also just post-boned the long overdue upgrade until next year. Until then my good old Q9550 must do.

Good to see some common sense around this part of the forums for a change.

Anyone upgrading now risks srs disappointment.

I also just post-boned the long overdue upgrade until next year. Until then my good old Q9550 must do.

..long overdue?? oh lol. Just this week I got agreement from my wife to upgrade my box after upgrading her laptop, and after hrs of research I just cant see it worth my time/money upgrading from a Q9650, I don't imagine a Q9550 would be much different. The longevity of the Q9..series has been quite exceptional, I think the best I've ever got out of a computor. The only envy I might feel is due to the lack of SATA3, but as I have to consider more than just gaming for my rig I'll wait to see how Haswell shakes things up. From what I've read about the direction intel are taking, Haswell probably won't be a ground breaker, but its release may knock a few dollars of my dream 2011 socket setup which should also give me a good few years.

The only envy I might feel is due to the lack of SATA3

You don't need SATA3 unless you plan on using SSDs. Mechanical drives are castrated in performance by its physical limitations, they barely reach 100 MBytes/sec, 150 on the good ones (WD VRaptor, 10k rpm 1TB hard drive... but it is very expensive, 300+ $). Even with a RAID setup you don't need SATA3 with mechanicals. So you are good too on that area if you don't have SSD.

Edited by Vixente