Sign in to follow this  
Andre

E3 2012 - About new communications system

Edited by Andre

Two soundcards owners are going to be a tiny minority of the population. Worth their coding time? Perhaps not.

good idea but yeah, not everyone owns 2 soundcards, or even just 1 soundcard. Maybe there could be a way to split audio from same soudcard/chip into different sources, like he said, you hear radio through headphones, but surrounding sounds, like shots and nature through speakers. But i hardly believe, BIS would try to implement this, perhaps some mods could, since sound engine in arma 3 could be improved.

I would guess that a LOT of people who own a sound card also have an onboard sound ability. Wouldn't take too much coding to enable this sort of sound splitting.

BIS wanted to do a more advanced comm system once though (using Mumble or something). They made a poll and people voted yes but it's been 3 years since and nothing happened.

Even having ACRE in the game by default will be really cool as it's much more advanced and superior to basic BIS VON anyway.

BIS wanted to do a more advanced comm system once though (using Mumble or something). They made a poll and people voted yes but it's been 3 years since and nothing happened.

Even having ACRE in the game by default will be really cool as it's much more advanced and superior to basic BIS VON anyway.

I have little to no experience with ACRE, but I do like the system. If BI were to implement a more advanced system, they should only include different radios, each with a limited range and a simple distortion effect based on terrain (elevation, large obstacles, etc). That way it won't be a nightmare for non military enthusiast, but a step forward in terms of game play.

Two soundcards owners are going to be a tiny minority of the population. Worth their coding time? Perhaps not.

i dont think so with many people having onboard sound and a USB headset... that makes 2 sound devices already...

and with some onboard soundcards you have 4 channels also.. that would make 3 stereo channels..

and many people have already a gaming soundcard so in reality most gamers have already 4 mono or 2 stereo channels they can use.. I guess most of you have 6 or 8 channels but not knowing it I guess. (And sometimes the Device SW forbid it to use them separately)

@maionaze

I really don't see a problem.

Just have Easy Radio for lowered difficulty setting.

I have little to no experience with ACRE, but I do like the system. If BI were to implement a more advanced system, they should only include different radios, each with a limited range and a simple distortion effect based on terrain (elevation, large obstacles, etc). That way it won't be a nightmare for non military enthusiast, but a step forward in terms of game play.

What? We need fullblown PRC-148/343/117F/119/152's with different frequencies :))

For MP use, I have my speakers plugged into my soundcard, and TS is run through the onboard audio to my headset. Works flawlessly, and I feel is much closer to realism than output just from the speakers.

Edited by Andre

here is a tip! DON'T USE the freaking crappy ingame VON! just use teamspeak!

Ingame VoN has been greatly improved in the recent betas. I imagine these (and future) improvements will make it into Arma3 aswell, hopefully guaranteeing a much better in-game VoN experience from the get-go.

I hope the comms evolves past OFP days.. It has become clearer but if they would allow people to mod it ...like the rest of the game I am sure a team could add to it and produce something like ACRE.

I hope the comms evolves past OFP days.. It has become clearer but if they would allow people to mod it ...like the rest of the game I am sure a team could add to it and produce something like ACRE.

That would be awesome.

As far as I'm concerned, the only default communication channel in the game (i.e. the one that is always available) should be direct-speak. All other channels should be entirely configurable via script, with some defaults available to make things easy for budding mission makers. If the system was powerful enough to emulate the functionality of ACRE, that would be pretty awesome.