Sign in to follow this  
-Coulum-

Mouse Acceleration in ArmA 3

I think I will actually like the zero mouse acceleration. What I won't like is the instantly steady aim that accompanies it. Right now shooting looks pretty damn easy, which is awesome at close range but at far range not so much. I would hate to see arma's medium/long range firefights turn into twitch shooters. I thought that a while ago BI said they wanted to tweak aiming and recoil to get longer more realistic firefights? Right now that doesn't seem to be the route they are taking, but I guess I can only wait and see, maybe there is something about aiming we have still yet to be shown.

I used to have this mouse acceleration issues but not anymore after I did some tweaks. I basically set X and Y sens and mouse smoothing to zero, turn off vsync, and in the .cfg file, do the following:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Now my mouse movement is perfect.

Ran into that little tweak some time ago when I saw the value was 1000, helped with mouse movement and also helped with my framerate, though I cannot guarantee said results for everyone.

I used to have this mouse acceleration issues but not anymore after I did some tweaks. I basically set X and Y sens and mouse smoothing to zero, turn off vsync, and in the .cfg file, do the following:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Now my mouse movement is perfect.

I´ve put those on 0, mouse is fine as long as it´s slow.

Edited by Leon86

I think I will actually like the zero mouse acceleration. What I won't like is the instantly steady aim that accompanies it. Right now shooting looks pretty damn easy, which is awesome at close range but at far range not so much. I would hate to see arma's medium/long range firefights turn into twitch shooters. I thought that a while ago BI said they wanted to tweak aiming and recoil to get longer more realistic firefights? Right now that doesn't seem to be the route they are taking, but I guess I can only wait and see, maybe there is something about aiming we have still yet to be shown.

About shooting on medium and high distances - thats where new weapon sway mechanics should come to play. Principle is the same as in Arma2 - to simulate shaky hands, however in A3 it is smoother, reflected only by size of the corsshair, and has crapload of additional parameters. The tricky part is setting them up to produce most realistic result, which is a lenghty task. In short - mechanics for controlling precision are there, they only need to be tuned-up properly.

"Penalty" for quick aiming (increasing sway/dispersion during fast mouse move) is pretty common and well-proven feature in fps games, so good point - I'll see if we can do something about that. (no promises though!!!!!!! :p )

I´ve put those on 0, mouse is fine as long as it´s slow.

0 means use driver settings. My mouse movement is very good even when moving fast. I've done some test with it and there's barely any mouse accel if at all.

About shooting on medium and high distances - thats where new weapon sway mechanics should come to play. Principle is the same as in Arma2 - to simulate shaky hands, however in A3 it is smoother, reflected only by size of the corsshair, and has crapload of additional parameters. The tricky part is setting them up to produce most realistic result, which is a lenghty task. In short - mechanics for controlling precision are there, they only need to be tuned-up properly.

"Penalty" for quick aiming (increasing sway/dispersion during fast mouse move) is pretty common and well-proven feature in fps games, so good point - I'll see if we can do something about that. (no promises though!!!!!!! )

Thanks Vespa. Can't wait to see these mechanics in more detai!

Edited by -Coulum-

IMO mouse acceleration should be completely the other way around. I mean when you move your mouse slowly it should move slower, when you move it faster it should move faster (and respectively travel less, more distance)

If you want to eliminate some weapons from use in CQB you could make player lower his weapon while too close to a wall, or use the "raise weapon" key more useful by forbidding players from coming too close to wall, while facing it, with raised weapon making it really clunky to operate indoors.

I think its way better than adding this weapon weight thing, because:

1. its actualy the length of the weapon that makes it more useful in CQB.

2. in real life, after a little bit of weapon handling training, you are able to compensate for the weapon weight while turning by putting a little bit of force in the opposite direction, when ending a turn. In game it would mean that when you move your mouse 10cm left you should quickly move it 1cm right to compensate, and it would be really annoying :-(

What do you guys think about this?

I'm playing ArmA II lately and I observed that quick aiming inside of the deadzone is really easy, but aiming outside of it (or with deadzone = 0) is harder.

IMO mouse acceleration should be completely the other way around. I mean when you move your mouse slowly it should move slower, when you move it faster it should move faster (and respectively travel less, more distance)

If you want to eliminate some weapons from use in CQB you could make player lower his weapon while too close to a wall, or use the "raise weapon" key more useful by forbidding players from coming too close to wall, while facing it, with raised weapon making it really clunky to operate indoors.

I think its way better than adding this weapon weight thing, because:

1. its actualy the length of the weapon that makes it more useful in CQB.

2. in real life, after a little bit of weapon handling training, you are able to compensate for the weapon weight while turning by putting a little bit of force in the opposite direction, when ending a turn. In game it would mean that when you move your mouse 10cm left you should quickly move it 1cm right to compensate, and it would be really annoying :-(

What do you guys think about this?

I'm playing ArmA II lately and I observed that quick aiming inside of the deadzone is really easy, but aiming outside of it (or with deadzone = 0) is harder.

I'd like to have no mouse acceleration whatsoever, with some other system in place to make shooting harder.

I'm with Leon, Responsive controls are super important to me at least when I move my mouse I want my character to move at the speed my hand moves when I move the mouse with as little lag as possible, within reason to this being a simulator of course.

to me its frustrating it would be like having a drinking problem, like in the movie airplane... hopefully that analogy isn't lost :D

I'm with Leon, Responsive controls are super important to me at least when I move my mouse I want my character to move at the speed my hand moves when I move the mouse with as little lag as possible, within reason to this being a simulator of course.

to me its frustrating it would be like having a drinking problem, like in the movie airplane... hopefully that analogy isn't lost :D

Do you think a tank turret should move as fast as your hand?

The thing you're complaining about IS NOT negative mouse acceleration but maximum turn speed of your avatar. If it was mouse acceleration it would depend on mouse sensitivity and speed and range of mouse move but it doesn't. It could be improved by turning different parts of body with different (configurable) speeds but it should not be removed! Insta 180° turns ending with headshot à la CS aren't good IMO. If ArmA3 (CQB) will be more popular such hitscan freaks will appear.

No, but moving a slow turret with a trackpad mouse is quite irritating. We need some turret-specific keyboard commands.

No, but moving a slow turret with a trackpad mouse is quite irritating. We need some turret-specific keyboard commands.

Exactly. Tank turrets should be controlled with the keyboard only.

When I'm in a tank, I switch over to my controller from my trackball. It's a pain with the trackball, but to me it seems alright with a controller. Just how I do things :D. I usually attach a controller and place it aside on my comp when I play ARMA. They're mainly for tank turrets, driving, and flying for me.

When I'm in a tank, I switch over to my controller from my trackball. It's a pain with the trackball, but to me it seems alright with a controller. Just how I do things :D. I usually attach a controller and place it aside on my comp when I play ARMA. They're mainly for tank turrets, driving, and flying for me.

Hmm... a nice alternative indeed.

I understand why people shouldn't be able to whip a tank turret around, but what's wrong with using a mouse to control the turret?

Now it's getting wierd, Theres no problem with using a mouse if the turret has a set maximum turn rate. As long as it is predicable it is something most folk can learn to use. Besides there are better options than forcing particular keybinds to functions that can be done using similar commands.

I dont want the character to turn at mouse speed, only the view. The weapon may lag behind a bit, with pistols being very fast, submachineguns a bit slower etc.

as for tank turrets, of course not move those at mouse speeds. would be better to use the keyboard to get them roughly on the right position and only use the mouse with very low sensitivity for the last small adjustments. of course 100% mouse control should be optional, as long as there's speed / acceleration limits.

If some of you are concerned about the issue when some player tries to take advantage of his 'leet' mouse by increasing sensitivity... Well, i just did a test myself out of curiosity, with Arma 2. I was in a tank as a gunner, and increased the G9 DPI to the max and the turret continued to turn at the same speed. I think i'ver heard this is an issue with BF3, but as i did the test, it was as it should be, so BIs did his homework about this. As said by Pathethic Berserker, there IS a maximum turn speed, independently of mouse speed... and it works. :cool:

yeah, even battlefield 3 has limits on turret speed I believe. It'd be crazy if arma didn't

I really hope the mouse acceleration on the view is eliminated completely, not sure if this is possible.

I really hope the mouse acceleration on the view is eliminated completely, not sure if this is possible.

Judging by what Vespa said…

Since I've been made, I can just as well elaborate on the subject and give you guys some headsup. So far, in E3 build, there is mouselook 1:1 with no weapon lag - player's avatar aim is directly linked with mouse movement, with no artificial limitations forced. If you draw a square with your mouse by any speed, your character's aim describes the same square too. (in Arma2 it was totally unpredictable - see OP)

This means Arma3 handles like a standard fps in regard of mouselook (so yeah, like CoD too) It will undoubtedly create lot of controversy, mainly by increasing the pace of close range combat (actually measured) So far it was well-received among BI team members, testers and consultants, however I can imagine this being a nightmare come true for some people (I won't be pointing fingers, metalcraze ).

Be advised the matter of aiming with heavy weapons is not closed yet. From a certain threshold, weapons weight should have negative effect on close combat efficiency and we plan to introduce that in some form yet, just need moar time for experiments. So don't give up on us

I would say its very likely that we will have zero mouse acceleration. It also doesn’t sound like the weapon moves independantly of the player view or lags behind like you were suggesting. This is great for close combat and I welcome the change. The only problem is making it so it doesn’t make arma into a total twitch shooter, like other typical fps, especially at medium/long range. Vespa said this about the matter…

Now my questions are, have these weapon sway mechanics been implemented into A3 already? Did anyone notice any sway at E3? I didn’t see any even when the player was wounded. And Vespa, what do you mean by “reflected only by the size of the crosshair� does that mean that when looking down the sights there is no sway at all?

I'm hearing a lot of things that sound like a cone of fire... which I'm a huge fan of - in games that aren't ARMA. Can someone (who actually knows, preferably) please tell me that I am hearing things wrong and that weapons still shoot where they are pointing?

I know it's pretty late in the development cycle, but what I would really like to see is the weapon sights misaligning during turns/movement, making holo sights useful as the crosshair would continue to point where the bullet is going.

I'm hearing a lot of things that sound like a cone of fire... which I'm a huge fan of - in games that aren't ARMA. Can someone (who actually knows, preferably) please tell me that I am hearing things wrong and that weapons still shoot where they are pointing?

I know it's pretty late in the development cycle, but what I would really like to see is the weapon sights misaligning during turns/movement, making holo sights useful as the crosshair would continue to point where the bullet is going.

Where'd you hear of a cone of fire? I don't think there is and if so I seriously doubt it will happen when sighted in. When not sighted in it looks like there could be a cone of fire, as bullets don't seem to hit exactly in the centre of that crosshair.

But I think it is more likely that when the crosshairs expand there is simply more weapon sway. So the bullet would still hit exactly where the gun is pointed, just the gun isn't always pointing at the middle of the white cross hairs. Either way it doesn't make that much of a difference when not sighted in. If there were to be cone of fire when sighted that would be horrible but I am pretty sure that's not the case.