Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Apocalypse - Invade. Control. Conquer

not sure it does anything in the mission. i guess you can try it out. i always use Veteran.

Im not really having trouble I just think it would add flavor to be able to adjust ai skill. Insurgents aren't known for their tactical brilliance or shooting skills. If its a 3 way fight one side will likely be pretty shitty but readily available etc. I think it would be cool to have the differences be more than just the type of weapon used. I wasnt aware it was even a possibility.

I only get about 8-12 FPS playing this. I tried under Win7 first and then under XP but it's much the same (maybe 1-2 FPS better under XP).

Here's the command-line I used (well, that Arma II launcher used):

"-mod=D:\Games\ArmA 2;Expansion;ca;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@ka-50;@rksl;@ukf_challenger2;@island duala;@island_podagorsk;@island celle;@island fallujah1_2;@island lingor;@island panthera;@baf;@pmc;@markb50k_apocalypse" "-name=dovemanXP" -nosplash -world=empty -maxMem=2047 

Also, I copied and pasted the factions setup into the config file but next time I loaded it they're all set to 0. This is how the line looks after pasting the data:

MB_PreferredFactionWeights = [["(EAST) BIS RU",2],["(EAST) BIS RU Vehicles",1],["(EAST) @OLEG Ka50",1],["(EAST) BIS TK",1],["(EAST) BIS TK Vehicles",1],["(EAST) BIS NAPA",1],["(EAST) BIS NAPA Vehicles",1],["(EAST) BIS TK GUE",0],["(EAST) BIS TK GUE Vehicles",0],["(EAST) BIS CHKDZ",0],["(EAST) BIS CHKDZ Vehicles",0],["(EAST) @PCDF PRSZ Veh",0],["(EAST) BIS TK INS",0],["(EAST) BIS TK INS Veh",0],["(EAST) BIS PMC",0],["(EAST) BIS PMC Vehicles",0],["(EAST) BIS UN Inf",0],["(EAST) BIS UN Vehicles",0],["(EAST) @Duala MOL",0],["(EAST) @Duala MOL Veh",0],["(EAST) @Lingor ARL Rebels",0],["(EAST) @Lingor ARL Veh",0],["(EAST) @Lingor Drug Gang",0],["(WEST) BIS USMC",1],["(WEST) BIS USMC Vehicles",1],["(WEST) @GNT B52",1],["(WEST) @MARSOC SF",0],["(WEST) @MARSOC Desert SF",1],["(WEST) BIS US Army",0],["(WEST) BIS US Army Vehicles",0],["(WEST) @CWR US Vehicles",0],["(WEST) BIS RU",0],["(WEST) BIS RU Vehicles",0],["(WEST) @OLEG Ka50",1],["(WEST) BIS TK",0],["(WEST) BIS TK Vehicles",0],["(WEST) BIS NAPA",0],["(WEST) BIS NAPA Vehicles",0],["(WEST) BIS TK GUE",0],["(WEST) BIS TK GUE Vehicles",0],["(WEST) BIS CDF",0],["(WEST) BIS CDF Vehicles",0],["(WEST) BIS CHKDZ",0],["(WEST) BIS CHKDZ Vehicles",0],["(WEST) @PCDF PRSZ Veh",0],["(WEST) BIS TK INS",0],["(WEST) BIS TK INS Veh",0],["(WEST) BAF UK Multicam",1],["(WEST) BAF UK Woodland",1],["(WEST) BAF UK Desert",1],["(WEST) BAF UK Woodland Veh",1],["(WEST) @UK Veh",0],["(WEST) BAF Desert Veh",0],["(WEST) @UK Desert Veh",0],["(WEST) BIS CZ ACR",0],["(WEST) BIS CZ ACR Veh",0],["(WEST) BIS CZ Desert",0],["(WEST) BIS CZ Desert Veh",0],["(WEST) BIS GER",0],["(WEST) BIS PMC",1],["(WEST) BIS PMC Vehicles",1],["(WEST) BIS UN Inf",0],["(WEST) BIS UN Vehicles",0],["(WEST) @Duala AFR",0],["(WEST) @Duala AFR Veh",0],["(WEST) @Lingor GAL Inf",0],["(WEST) @Lingor GAL Veh",0],["(WEST) @Lingor Police",0],["(WEST) @Lingor Police Veh",0],["(WEST) @Lingor PMC",0],["(WEST) @Lingor PMC Veh",0],["(GUER) BIS RU",0],["(GUER) BIS RU Vehicles",0],["(GUER) @OLEG Ka50",0],["(GUER) BIS TK",0],["(GUER) BIS TK Vehicles",0],["(GUER) BIS NAPA",0],["(GUER) BIS NAPA Vehicles",0],["(GUER) BIS TK GUE",2],["(GUER) BIS TK GUE Vehicles",1],["(GUER) BIS CHKDZ",0],["(GUER) BIS CHKDZ Vehicles",0],["(GUER) @PCDF PRSZ Veh",0],["(GUER) BIS TK INS",1],["(GUER) BIS TK INS Veh",1],["(GUER) BIS PMC",0],["(GUER) BIS PMC Vehicles",0],["(GUER) BIS UN Inf",0],["(GUER) BIS UN Vehicles",0],["Chernarus",0],["Takistan",0],["@Lingor",0],["@Duala",0]]
[];

Well let's start with the easy one. When you copy paste the array over make sure you are replacing the empty array that was already there. Notice the [] you left in at the end. Remove that. Leave the semicolon however.

Now also realize i am trying to redo the faction names and I changed the names of the main bis factions so you'll have to re pick those when you get in game. I apologize in advance for that

As for the performance issue see if playing on a larger map may help. The same number of AI spread out on a larger map will usually result in less fps.

---------- Post added at 03:28 ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 ----------

Im not really having trouble I just think it would add flavor to be able to adjust ai skill. Insurgents aren't known for their tactical brilliance or shooting skills. If its a 3 way fight one side will likely be pretty shitty but readily available etc. I think it would be cool to have the differences be more than just the type of weapon used. I wasnt aware it was even a possibility.

Configurable AI skill level per side is theoretically straightforward for me to implement in the game so I'll take a look at it. Can't promise anything but it may be a quick fix. Thanks for the idea

I tried out v3.1 and I must say that you did a really good job on remaking the command menu, I honestly can't think of any criticism for it.

Awesome job!

Well let's start with the easy one. When you copy paste the array over make sure you are replacing the empty array that was already there. Notice the [] you left in at the end. Remove that. Leave the semicolon however.

Now also realize i am trying to redo the faction names and I changed the names of the main bis factions so you'll have to re pick those when you get in game. I apologize in advance for that

Thanks, that did the trick. I don't know where those extra [] came from!

As for the performance issue see if playing on a larger map may help. The same number of AI spread out on a larger map will usually result in less fps.

My first test was on Fallujah. I just tested on Chernarus and that was a bit better at 17 FPS. I also noticed that searching houses gave the result instantly, whereas before it would take maybe 15 seconds to tell me I hadn't found anything.

However, after a while the FPS dropped down to 14 FPS, then I got in a vehicle and it was down to 8-9 FPS and after getting out of the vehicle it was about 11 FPS. I also remembered that I'd changed to graphics settings to test the LOD switching issue, so I put ATOC back to disabled (was on 6 - All Trees, 0 did help quite a bit a while ago when someone suggested it), PPAA to disabled as well (was on SMAA High) and Object detail to Normal (was on V.High). Didn't make the slightest bit of difference though. It may be that ATOC has been made more efficient in a recent beta, so perhaps it doesn't make much difference disabling it anymore.

By the way, I managed to accrue 1000 points so requested a HQ. I waited some time and it didn't arrive, nor were there any other units with waypoints set to my location, so how long should it take for the HQ to turn up?

Apocalypse if very CPU intensive it seems, I personally can't play on any other map that UItes and Zargabad, and even on Zargabad it gets really slow sometimes.

Utes is a great map though, so I'm not complaining.

By the way, I managed to accrue 1000 points so requested a HQ. I waited some time and it didn't arrive, nor were there any other units with waypoints set to my location, so how long should it take for the HQ to turn up?

i guess it depends. Easiest way to know for sure is to look at the reinforcement display that pops up when you order any reinforcements. Look at the REINFORCEMENT QUEUE and you will see a "HQ Vehice*" with a time of arrival.

If its still listed in the queue, just wait until that time.

If its not on the queue, it either never got put on there (very unlikely, the code is working properly) or its transport aircraft has already arrived.

If it did arrive, its possible that the plane carrying it never got to you (was destroyed by enemy fire) or is aimlessly wandering. In the same display that lists your friendly forces, see if there are any groups on the top list that show "CombatVehicleDrop".. This latter case is probably not what's happening, because if it was, you'd still see a group with a waypoint at your position.

So, either it hasnt arrived yet (check the queue) or it was destroyed in mid-flight and you'll have to order it again.

Another thing you can check is to see if the option to order a HQ is available in the reinforcements menu. If it is not, then the game has detected your HQ group either inbound or in the queue. If the option is available, then most likely its aircraft was destroyed.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Apocalypse if very CPU intensive it seems, I personally can't play on any other map that UItes and Zargabad, and even on Zargabad it gets really slow sometimes.

I have noticed that very early on, if you pick one of the sides to have DEFENDERS "At start:" YES on the initial screen, FPS is a bit heavy because i end up spawning soldiers at every static weapon across the entire map. Try it with no side having DEFENDERS "At the Start" YES. See if that improves.

Thanks, I'll try those then.

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

i guess it depends. Easiest way to know for sure is to look at the reinforcement display that pops up when you order any reinforcements. Look at the REINFORCEMENT QUEUE and you will see a "HQ Vehice*" with a time of arrival.

If its still listed in the queue, just wait until that time.

If its not on the queue, it either never got put on there (very unlikely, the code is working properly) or its transport aircraft has already arrived.

If it did arrive, its possible that the plane carrying it never got to you (was destroyed by enemy fire) or is aimlessly wandering. In the same display that lists your friendly forces, see if there are any groups on the top list that show "CombatVehicleDrop".. This latter case is probably not what's happening, because if it was, you'd still see a group with a waypoint at your position.

Thanks, I'll get the hang of how this all works eventually ;) I can't order any more reinforcements to check the display as I've only got 43 points after ordering the HQ but if I go 0-8-5-2-9, it shows Request HQ (cost: 2000) (so it's doubled in cost) and if I select that, it says "Negative. You already have an HQ vehicle". I can check by 0-8-5-1 (Order of Battle Display) though and that shows the HQ Vehicle is due to arrive at 06:56 (current time is 06:48) so hopefully it will turn up soon but as there's no waypoints to my position I'm not certain it will be delivered to my current location. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

So, either it hasnt arrived yet (check the queue) or it was destroyed in mid-flight and you'll have to order it again.

Another thing you can check is to see if the option to order a HQ is available in the reinforcements menu. If it is not, then the game has detected your HQ group either inbound or in the queue. If the option is available, then most likely its aircraft was destroyed.

Damn I hope not. It took me ages to earn those points ;)

I have noticed that very early on, if you pick one of the sides to have DEFENDERS "At start:" YES on the initial screen, FPS is a bit heavy because i end up spawning soldiers at every static weapon across the entire map. Try it with no side having DEFENDERS "At the Start" YES. See if that improves.

I don't think I had that enabled but I'll double-check.

Thanks, I'll try those then.

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

Thanks, I'll get the hang of how this all works eventually ;) I can't order any more reinforcements to check the display as I've only got 43 points after ordering the HQ but if I go 0-8-5-2-9, it shows Request HQ (cost: 2000) (so it's doubled in cost) and if I select that, it says "Negative. You already have an HQ vehicle". I can check by 0-8-5-1 (Order of Battle Display) though and that shows the HQ Vehicle is due to arrive at 06:56 (current time is 06:48) so hopefully it will turn up soon but as there's no waypoints to my position I'm not certain it will be delivered to my current location. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Damn I hope not. It took me ages to earn those points ;)

I don't think I had that enabled but I'll double-check.

ok, well from your description of the menu options, it seems you havent gotten the latest version, where i revamped the menu's to make them MUCH easier to navigate. I recommend getting that version, you dont have to restart, it will auto-patch you.

as for your HQ, sounds like everythings working as it should. once it arrives, wherever you are, the group will spawn with your position as its waypoint. so no worries, its on the way!

ok, well from your description of the menu options, it seems you havent gotten the latest version, where i revamped the menu's to make them MUCH easier to navigate. I recommend getting that version, you dont have to restart, it will auto-patch you.

Yeah, my mistake. I thought the armaholic version I downloaded was 3.1 but it's 3.0, so I'll update and try again. Cheers :)

Well I haven't tried Utes yet, just carried on with my Chernarus with 3.1. I added some mods as well but none that would affect the AI I don't think, just visual, sound and a couple of UI mods. This is the commandline I used:

"-mod=D:\Games\ArmA 2;Expansion;ca;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@cba;@cba_oa;@cba_a2;@blastcore_visuals;@jtd;@jsrs;@sos;@sthud;@stmovement;@mapplus;@mk4;@gnat's b52;@ka-50;@rksl;@ukf_challenger2;@mar_marsoc;@island duala;@island_podagorsk;@island celle;@island fallujah1_2;@island lingor;@island panthera;@baf;@pmc;@markb50k_apocalypse" "-name=doveman" -nosplash -world=empty -maxMem=2047

My HQ did arrive eventually. It didn't actually get delivered at the ETA but entered the battlefield at that time and a waypoint to my location appeared and it took maybe another 5 minutes to get to me.

I decided to go and capture a nearby camp whilst I was waiting for it and was away when it was delivered. I then briefly had a squad member 2 but then he died almost immediately. I don't know if he was the pilot of the plane delivering the HQ so perhaps that got shot down, although I was at the drop-point for ages myself and there was no enemies anywhere near.

Probably because the CPU couldn't cope (hence the low FPS) but at some camps I found the enemies totally ignored me. At one I didn't notice a guy on a machine gun until I drove right up to it and he was looking right at me but never fired. Then I got out the vehicle and he had turned his back on me (so I shot him naturally) and then I saw another guy on the other side of the camp who didn't seem to have any idea I was there either.

The biggest problem I found was not being able to get any reinforcements. I played for about 2.5 hours and had almost wiped out green (they probably had about 3 camps left) and probably only accrued a total of 2000 points in that time. I spent 1000 of those on the HQ and tried a couple of times to order a gunship but it said none were available, so I was only able to buy some infantry a couple of times and I think I requested two lots of support infantry. I never saw any of them anyway, as they either got killed before they got to me or got caught up in an engagement or something and didn't proceed to where I wanted them, so I spent the whole game driving around on my own capturing camps. I kind of expected to start off in a squad as I dropped in with loads of guys so it seems a bit strange to not be in a squad.

I think one of the changes between 3.0 and 3.1 is that now when opening the Reinforcements menu, if you don't have sufficient points to buy anything it just shows Purchase and you can only cancel that. I preferred it before, where it showed the list and how much each thing cost, even when you didn't have sufficient points, as then you could see how many more you needed to afford something. It might be useful if you could show the points total on the topbar of the map screen, as it's a bit fiddly to check that at the moment (I think it's only shown on the Order of Play sidebar which appears when opening the Reinforcements menu, even if you can't afford anything and it shows when your team capture a camp and gain some points but it might be nice to be able to have it displayed on the map topbar as well).

Anyway, I'll try Utes next time and see how that goes.

I think each person's experience is going to be a bit different.

one method however to gain points is to do the following... which is what i always do..

help out your side by finding infantry and putting them into vehicles. its the easiest way to gain points. first find an enemy vehicle that is serviceable and empty, or a friendly one that you know isnt claimed by another group, usually its jsut sitting there with a dead driver.

Make sure its an armed vehicle. cargo trucks and unarmed humvee wont gain you a bonus.

when you have enough to recruit 2 units, 300 points, use the recruit command. get near friendly infantry and recruit 2 soldiers.

merge the two HC squad together into one 2-man squad

use the "Assign group to vehicle near player" command to have them load up in the empty vehicle. you may have to play around with this as the AI sometimes doesnt realize a vehicle is empty.

An alternative is to have the two units join your squad and order them into the vehicle.

anyway once they are in, if they are in your squad, select them and use the "Units -> New Group" command. Either way, make sure they are in their own group and in the vehicle.

Select their group and use the "Release group" command. They will now go under AI control and you will get a bonus for putting them in a combat vehicle, up to 800 points if its a gunship or airplane.

Do this a couple of times ( i find empty vehicles or slightly damaged ones all the time) and you will gain enough points to order reinforcements.

Rinse and repeat.

Cool, thanks for the tips, that should get me going a bit better ;)

I usually play without any defenders but I always play with x3 or x5 reinforcement speed so the maps get filled by units pretty quickly, and without fast reinforcements I think the mission is too slow (gameplay-wise), so I think I'll stick to Utes.

I understand. Just to let you know, a couple of updates back i put in some code that will automatically accelerate the pace at which reinforcements come in when the number of units on a particular side gets low. In my current run with Zargabad, reinforcements are coming in VERY steadily. I know you were seeing some slowness before, but you may want to try again with normal reinforcement speed.

Version 3.3:

- new addon : Marseilles77's Austrian Infantry

- new addon : Vilas's modern Polish Army

- new addon : Scar/nes4day's F-22A Raptor

- new addon : Pathetic_Berserker's Mi24-A Krokodil gunship

- new addon : SoulAssassin's M109A6 Paladin

- new config : Vilas Poland - gives RESISTANCE version of UN Troops

- new config : Austrian Infantry - gives WEST version of UN Troops

- updated config : VME PLA (China) - removed CfgMagazine error popup on his Grenadier's

- new : in USERCONFIG you can now adjust the overall skill of each side. See included settings.sqf for possible values

- new : sighted empty vehicles now indicated on map (orange dots)

- fix : player's country was being displayed incorrectly

- fix : error in dead body cleanup

- fix : civilians were not being cached as intended. performance improvement.

- tweak : dead bodies cleaned up quicker

- fix : debriefing now shows up at mission victory. You will need to make sure you get the new copies of the mission PBOs.

- tweak : trimmed down faction list by combining alike mods of same country into one choice. Much less clicking.

noticing a memory leak with some of my spawned processes not getting cleared. will put out a new version 3.4 shortly.

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

Version 3.4:

- new : ability to recruit by map location. Now you can recruit in far towns, and assign troops from a distance to search houses, recon areas, etc.

- tweak : removed Motorcycles from vehicles that get icons on your intel screen.

- fix : added counters to prevent some long-lasting spawned scripts to not run forever.

- fix : added check if the AI acts stupid and LANDS at the local airport, the troops onboard will disembark and continue mission.

- fix : several small bug fixes/tweaks.

hello, i have one question, it was maybe already answered but i didn't get the time to read everything, so here it is

does this mission is actually getting a Coop OR PvP version ?

thanks

i keep kicking around the idea of a COOP version, but i have no clue how to code a multiplayer game especially with this many running scripts and AI.

If SOMEONE wants to help me out, I would be very glad. I know there is a big time demand for this in Multiplayer.

This has been great so far, but I'm having trouble working out how to play it properly. Until now I've just been running around recruiting a few soldiers and attacking the enemy, taking bases and enjoying the awesome scale of it all. Now I'm trying to work out how to do...everything else, lol. I've played through the tutorials on base building, commanding, etc, but the interface doesn't seem to be the same for construction/communication in this mod. So, I'm going to ask a few questions and if they're really simple or have already been covered, feel free to ignore me (though, pointing me in the right direction is always appreciated.

1) How do I build things? I can't even work out how to build an HQ, so I just set it to spawn with one. The option for the build interface never comes up in my scrollwheel action menu, like it does in the tutorial. Once I've got to the HQ, I can pack it and unpack it, but I can't work out what else to do. How do I build things like a helipad?

2) How do I upgrade the HQ more than once? I've upgraded it once, then packed and unpacked it and the upgrade has appeared. However, any time after that, whenever I select HQ upgrade, I get a message on the far left of my screen saying "ase upgrade" (it's clearly cut off, so I'm assuming it says "please upgrade"). I can highlight it, but clicking with middle mouse on it does nothing and I have to get rid of it with backspace.

3) How do I call for support? When I try to, it tells me I need to set a point for the support, using the comms menu 0-8-5. 0-8-5 is HQ upgrade, at least for me, so I'm not sure if it's wrong, or if I've completely misunderstood?

4) How do I make other squads? How do I control the squads on my team (a whole heap spawn at the start and run off and do their own thing)?

5) Do the resistance team add players to the game if they aren't a third team? By this, I mean; if I set them as friendly with the west (for example) and have the east as the enemies, will the west have more men than the east? If so, is there a way to have no resistance? When I play on Utes, my team completely tramples the other team and I'm certain it isn't because of my awesome commander skills (I have none, lol), so I'm wondering if I have more men on my team than the enemy, because I set the resistance to be friendly.

I think that's all. Pretty much; how do I play? lol. Sorry if this is really basic - I swear I've looked everywhere to try to find out how to do these things, but I just can't seem to work it out.

Many thanks to anyone who is able to help. And thanks very much to markb50k for the great mission (well, missions - I loved Lost) :)

i keep kicking around the idea of a COOP version, but i have no clue how to code a multiplayer game especially with this many running scripts and AI.

If SOMEONE wants to help me out, I would be very glad. I know there is a big time demand for this in Multiplayer.

you should ask Xeno or other most knowed multiplayer mission maker, i only know a few thing

...snip...

1) you dont build things. Apocalypse is not Warfare, so the whole base-building is not present in the game, so you wont find options to create helipads or light vehicle factory etc. You're Mobile HQ is the only thing that resembles Warfare and it has some capabilities but definitely not base-building.

2) the reason you see no more upgrades is because you dont have any money. You need to get more suppport points for options to appear. Once you do, you will see more. I'll fix the cut off title, its supposed to say "Purchase upgrade"

3) sorry, since i redid the menu the message '0-8-5' is no longer valid. i'll fix that. but the option is still there, you just have to look at the support menu and there should be an option to "Mapclick-> select support location". Select that, and then click somewhere on the map and that will be the location that the support you call will go to.

4) you make other squads only through Recruiting (which you seem to know about) and by requesting reinforcements (by using support points in the Reinforcement Menu, and again only the stuff you can purchase will show up). You don't build them like in warfare.

5) even if you choose Resistance as Friendly, you dont get more troops than the enemy. it just means that both Resistance and West factions will be available for you to choose in the factions menu at the beginning, but the TOTAL number of groups available to you will be the same as the enemy.

My recommendation, for a harder match, is to set your Friendly Troops, Vehicles, and Air to 50% (x0.5) in the first screen. That will mean that your TOTAL number of groups will be half of your enemies. That should make it much harder.

Great questions. I hope I've addressed them! Thanks for the feedback!

but, i still don't understand what does the number next to the faction mean ( in the menu for example "0 - USMC" ), the only thing i understand is, if the number is high it'll get spawned much more than the other ?

My recommendation, for a harder match, is to set your Friendly Troops, Vehicles, and Air to 50% (x0.5) in the first screen. That will mean that your TOTAL number of groups will be half of your enemies. That should make it much harder.

Great questions. I hope I've addressed them! Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome, thanks for all of that! It makes a lot more sense if I don't think of it as Warfare, lol. It seems more dynamic than Warfare, which is nice (troops come in and do their own thing without requiring strict orders...I hate being a General, lol). I'll try out reducing the numbers on my side too.

One more question; how do you get vehicles? I've taken a few light vehicles from bases, but how do you get planes and helicopters and tanks? Is it through the Reinforcement menu, same as the troops? If so, do I get a vehicle by itself or will I get a fully manned vehicle that I can then take over control of? If that's the case, how would I go about getting control of a plane or helicopter. Again, sorry if this is a really basic question - I'm new to playing these types of mods (sandbox mods).

but, i still don't understand what does the number next to the faction mean ( in the menu for example "0 - USMC" ), the only thing i understand is, if the number is high it'll get spawned much more than the other ?

Thats basically correct. So if you choose 1 - USMC and 4 - CDF, then when any group is formed, it will probably be CDF (4 chances vs 1 for USMC)

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Awesome, thanks for all of that! It makes a lot more sense if I don't think of it as Warfare, lol. It seems more dynamic than Warfare, which is nice (troops come in and do their own thing without requiring strict orders...I hate being a General, lol). I'll try out reducing the numbers on my side too.

One more question; how do you get vehicles? I've taken a few light vehicles from bases, but how do you get planes and helicopters and tanks? Is it through the Reinforcement menu, same as the troops? If so, do I get a vehicle by itself or will I get a fully manned vehicle that I can then take over control of? If that's the case, how would I go about getting control of a plane or helicopter. Again, sorry if this is a really basic question - I'm new to playing these types of mods (sandbox mods).

Well, like you have already figured out, you can just steal a vehicle or take a damaged vehicle, fix it up and you're good.

Also, as you surmised, you can order one when you have enough reinforcement points. When it comes it will be fully crewed, and will join your squad when it arrives. Then you can order it to do whatever, attack bad dudes, land so you can get in, etc.