Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Apocalypse - Invade. Control. Conquer

I love scenario and really hope you continue to work on it, I've had many hours of fun out of it! However when you release the next patch, could you please add in the Unisol Corporation from Lingor units? The other Lingor factions are there, so I assume its been left out as its so small, but I would love to use some of their cyborg units so that I can recreate some sort of 'Resistance battle' :)

Keep up the good work,

Shrikey

uh... LOVE it. Thanks!!

No problem, glad you liked it :cool: Hopefully I will have time to take 27 for a spin later. Downloading now..

EDIT:

Much better now. These changes made a tremendous difference. Reinforcements x2 is more then enough it seems. I wouldn't recommend a higher setting unless you work for NASA. Forces can build up pretty quickly. Points at 300% makes life a lot easier. Now I can call in vehicles and afford to loose them. Great fun! Also I find myself playing a lot more tactical compared to typical WF missions. You have good reasons to take good care of your team and equipment. Also I found a way to exploit the points bonus system but I'm not sure I want you to fix it :rolleyes: Heck you probably know about it already. Recruiting one AI costs 150 but giving it back to AI gives you 450 points. If you give back a whole team, well then you start making some serious bucks. Keep buying and selling for a while and.. you get the idea. Infinite points :cool:

Cheating or not, this is how A2OA is supposed to be played IMO. It's a perfect blend of tactical small scale fire fights and grand strategy. This is what the RV engine was designed for.

Nice work man. It's tuning up to be one of the finest user made missions ever. Keep it up!

Edited by Fenrisulven

On lingor i've seen ac130's dump troops out mid ocean nowhere near land. Im messing with the settings so im restarting a lot. It definitely doesnt happen everytime, and ive only seen one plane at a time do it. Not a big deal but you might check it out.

Ive also had to restart a couple times because i take damage when the plane dumps me out. I wasnt taking fire when it happened.

One more thing, i think if you can i would stagger the altitudes of the planes or have them come in waves it seems like every restart a plane colides with either a soldier or another plane. I suppose different altitudes would cause even more collisions. Maybe multiple drop zones at the start would ease the congestion.

not sure i am going to try to do too much to code around AI stupidity. It would be an effort that would never end.

FYI, new version coming out soon.. highlights..

.. ACR DLC supported. Yummy new troops.

.. AI controlled artillery that moves, shoots, and communicates. I'm making ANY mobile arty vehicle work with this, even ones that modmakers never set up properly with the BIS arty module. Its pretty cool.

Awesome, now I'll be able to order some Grad's and bomb the hell out of everything on the map.

not sure i am going to try to do too much to code around AI stupidity. It would be an effort that would never end.

FYI, new version coming out soon.. highlights..

.. ACR DLC supported. Yummy new troops.

.. AI controlled artillery that moves, shoots, and communicates. I'm making ANY mobile arty vehicle work with this, even ones that modmakers never set up properly with the BIS arty module. Its pretty cool.

Great news. Now this mission got everything.

Awesome, now I'll be able to order some Grad's and bomb the hell out of everything on the map.

well, because of the balance issues with Artillery, they will not be orderable. But the AI will order artillery on its own, up to around three pieces per side.

You will be able to request a small set of arty strikes every X minutes (option on setup screen).

In between then, the Arty is useable by other friendly forces periodically.

I see. So I won't be able to order my own arty to order around but rather have to ask friendlies to blow stuff up for me in exchange for support points?

I see. So I won't be able to order my own arty to order around but rather have to ask friendlies to blow stuff up for me in exchange for support points?

For balancing, I decided to implement the time wait between requests, so in exchange for that wait, artillery wont cost you support points. but otherwise, youre correct.

A few new issues:

Not sure if it's by design but more often then not when you start with the HQ, the HQ vehicle is out of fuel and immobile. When that happens I rather just blow it up and spawn by airdrop instead, because if you run out of vehicles nearby and spawn at HQ, then you may have to run for miles to get back to action. Not my cup of tea. Could be fixed by randomly spawning light vehicles close to the HQ so you never run out.

My position stops updating on the map. Happened a few times and its pretty annoying if you don't have a GPS. When the missions starts out, it updates just fine regardless of unit type so I assume it's a bug.

Camps don't spawn. Sometimes you get camp positions on the map but no camps. You can still capture it but you have to constantly check your exact position on the map and navigate to the correct position. Rather annoying.

Last but not least. AI tend to get confused a lot. This is a rather serious issue and game braking IMO. All the sudden enemy AI won't attack, and when I attack them I get slaughtered by my own team :j: This happened on different missions and on different maps. Last time it was just me and my sniper and a lone enemy BMP. I'm 100% sure it was hostile because it had the red armored NATO symbol on the map and the setup was US Army vs RU and the US don't use BMP that much. So I blew it up with a Javelin and my sniper shot me in the back as a result. That explained why the BMP didn't attack, because I was pretty sure he could see me. Very confusing to say the least.

Edited by Fenrisulven

A few new issues:

Not sure if it's by design but more often then not when you start with the HQ, the HQ vehicle is out of fuel and immobile. When that happens I rather just blow it up and spawn by airdrop instead, because if you run out of vehicles nearby and spawn at HQ, then you may have to run for miles to get back to action. Not my cup of tea. Could be fixed by randomly spawning light vehicles close to the HQ so you never run out.

My position stops updating on the map. Happened a few times and its pretty annoying if you don't have a GPS. When the missions starts out, it updates just fine regardless of unit type so I assume it's a bug.

Camps don't spawn. Sometimes you get camp positions on the map but no camps. You can still capture it but you have to constantly check your exact position on the map and navigate to the correct position. Rather annoying.

Last but not least. AI tend to get confused after some time. This is a rather serious issue and game braking IMO. All the sudden enemy AI won't attack and when I attack them I get slaughtered by my own team :j: This happened on different missions and on different maps. Last time it was just me and my sniper and a lone enemy BMP. I'm 100% sure it was hostile because it had the red armored NATO symbol on the map and the setup was US Army vs RU and the US don't use BMP that much. So I blew it up with a Javelin and my sniper shot me in the back as a result. That explained why the BMP didn't attack, because I was pretty sure he could see me. Very confusing to say the least.

lol, i can always count on you to come up with mega-large issues that I have never seen before.... are you running any mods, because you always seem to have these major issues..

- your HQ is set to 0 fuel when you unpack it. It wont be 'mobile' unless you "pack" it again. that is by design. if it is out of fuel when you first run up to it, that is a bug. please confirm.

- position stops updating. does the symbol go away or just stop moving, meaning its showing an 'old' position of yours? that is the MARTA module controlling that. are you sure you didnt Toggle 2D markers from the menu and turn them off?

- camps not spawning. I saw this once many versions ago, and i am pretty sure i fixed it. but ill check again.

- Ai not attacking. admittedly i set the enemy/friends of each side at the beginning of the mission, so its possible that the AI gets confused on who is a friend and a foe. but i never see that issue. can you tell me what settings did you do for the three sides in the beginning. did you set them to 2 friendly and 1 enemy, or 3 sided. I'll try to reproduce.

lol, i can always count on you to come up with mega-large issues that I have never seen before.... are you running any mods, because you always seem to have these major issues..

- your HQ is set to 0 fuel when you unpack it. It wont be 'mobile' unless you "pack" it again. that is by design. if it is out of fuel when you first run up to it, that is a bug. please confirm.

- position stops updating. does the symbol go away or just stop moving, meaning its showing an 'old' position of yours? that is the MARTA module controlling that. are you sure you didnt Toggle 2D markers from the menu and turn them off?

- camps not spawning. I saw this once many versions ago, and i am pretty sure i fixed it. but ill check again.

- Ai not attacking. admittedly i set the enemy/friends of each side at the beginning of the mission, so its possible that the AI gets confused on who is a friend and a foe. but i never see that issue. can you tell me what settings did you do for the three sides in the beginning. did you set them to 2 friendly and 1 enemy, or 3 sided. I'll try to reproduce.

No prob I'm glad to help.

I rarely use community mods because of stability and the only one that I normally have loaded is CBA.

-nosplash -mod=BAF;PMC;@CBA;@fallujah1_1;@MARKB50K_Apocalypse

Pretty much vanilla except I'm using beta 1.62 (Release Candidate #3) build 95248, so some of these problems may not be mission related.

HQ still out of fuel after packing, confirmed. A few times I used fuel from nearby vehicles to get it moving. However, I don't consider the HQ being rewarding enough and dropping by air gets you back to the front line much quicker. In fact, using airdrop instead of HQ is almost like cheating because you can skip to start location and spawn where you died pretty much instantly. Using the HQ and move it forward as you capture camps feels more natural. Also unpacking in towns and auto transfer equipment to the stash is pretty rewarding, and a fun feature I never seen in another mission.

The position disappears completely after respawn. Unless I have a GPS or a team member to ask I have to navigate by eye.

I wonder if the camps not spawing issue is bec of object collision detection. Some of the camps you designed are rather big. Nicely done, but huge and more base like.

I pretty much always have west as friend and east as enemy and two sided. Last mission was US Army vs Russia on Takistan. I always have civilians enabled for realism. I don't like huge empty maps and abandoned cities. It's too post apocalyptic. That's one of the reasons I like this mission. ALICE is broken in vanilla WF and BE is rather resource heavy and civs adds extra CPU load.

- so if you select a HQ to start with, do you paradrop to it or do you 'skip' to it? Just need to know what to test...

- and its out of fuel to start?

- so this is after respawn when the markers dont show up? for the position disappearing, try toggling the 2D and 3D markers in the menu. Does your High Command still work?

- camps not spawning: just remembered this, some camps are just the location of the TOWNNAME on the map..there arent supposed to be objects there. are you sure its supposed to be a camp and not just the TOWNNAME (which is also considered a 'camp')

ill try your US vs RUSSIA. what do you set as RESISTANCE? do you keep it FRIENDLY? or change it to THIRD SIDE in the initial screen?

- so if you select a HQ to start with, do you paradrop to it or do you 'skip' to it? Just need to know what to test...

- and its out of fuel to start?

- so this is after respawn when the markers dont show up? for the position disappearing, try toggling the 2D and 3D markers in the menu. Does your High Command still work?

- camps not spawning: just remembered this, some camps are just the location of the TOWNNAME on the map..there arent supposed to be objects there. are you sure its supposed to be a camp and not just the TOWNNAME (which is also considered a 'camp')

ill try your US vs RUSSIA. what do you set as RESISTANCE? do you keep it FRIENDLY? or change it to THIRD SIDE in the initial screen?

Yes, HQ from start and skip.

I have seen both. At one time the HQ had fuel but after unpacking and packing, it was gone.

Yes after respawn. High command works. Pretty much everything works but the player unit icon is missing on the map. 3D markers?

Now I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think it's missing camps outside towns. Could be very small towns though. Need more testing to confirm.

I keep it on friendly. Just two sided, east and west. No resistance and no partisans. The schizophrenic AI is the biggest issue.

It's worth noting that I don't experience this early on. I think I was on my second hour last time the AI messed up. The strange thing is, even though the AI don't fire at you they still act hostile and dodge behind cover and aim at you and stuff, and not until you walk straight up to them they start shooting. If you manage to kill enough enemy soldiers, or take out a vehicle then your own team members will take you down.

Edited by Fenrisulven

having the hardest time reproducing your errors.

when you are packing/unpacking, what upgrades do you have?

when you are respawned, do you have other soldiers in your squad? if you do, is it possible the group icon is over them?

are you running with the -showScriptErrors option added to your shortcut? if not, can you please do that, and see if you see any black text popup when you play the mission?

having the hardest time reproducing your errors.

when you are packing/unpacking, what upgrades do you have?

when you are respawned, do you have other soldiers in your squad? if you do, is it possible the group icon is over them?

are you running with the -showScriptErrors option added to your shortcut? if not, can you please do that, and see if you see any black text popup when you play the mission?

No upgrades. I did a test earlier and bought ammo supply but just like mortar, it never showed up even after moving the HQ and unpacking, so I don't buy upgrades anymore :p

Yes I usually have a few in my team. Interesting, it's possible but I need more testing to confirm.

Right, I forgot to add it after temporarily running without -showScriptErrors. I will add it again and try another long runner, hopefully soon.

It's pretty much only the confused AI thing I'm worried about. When it happens, it's not possible to continue playing because of friendly fire.

- see a possible issue with packing/unpacking if you start packing too soon after unpacking (within 5 secs). will be fixed.

- putting an extra guard against your group icon not showing up. still couldnt confirm the issue, but this should help

- re: upgrades. what do you mean the ammo upgrade doesnt show up? The ammo upgrade IS your weapons cache. when you buy the upgrade the cache just can rearm vehicles that pull up to it.

- see a possible issue with packing/unpacking if you start packing too soon after unpacking (within 5 secs). will be fixed.

- putting an extra guard against your group icon not showing up. still couldnt confirm the issue, but this should help

Sounds good. Remember I'm running a beta patch :)

- re: upgrades. what do you mean the ammo upgrade doesnt show up? The ammo upgrade IS your weapons cache. when you buy the upgrade the cache just can rearm vehicles that pull up to it.

Well that explains it then.

- re: friendly fire. continued to look into this and am not sure what could be causing this. i dont ever see this but in my runs i always go 3 sided. some ideas...

- you said you used a Javelin on the enemy BMP. well its possible you may have killed a friendly in the area when you did which turned your buddies against you... Not likely but throughout the mission your friendly kills could pile up, which is why this doesnt happen until well into the mission.

- also, when you run 2 sided, I'm guessing you select "FRIENDLY" for Resistance in the setup screen yes? Well, when you do that, WEST and RESISTANCE are set to FRIEND and during the mission, the code will try to use both WEST and RESISTANCE to populate forces, creating groups under both sides. This should work since i use "setFriend" commands in the beginning of the mission to ally them, but i can see if Arma 2 gets buggy with faction relationships this would be an issue.

What you could try is if you want a 2 sided battle, set RESISTANCE to "ENEMY" so at least you know that all friendlies will be WEST and WEST only and there will be less chance for sillyness.

- re: friendly fire. continued to look into this and am not sure what could be causing this. i dont ever see this but in my runs i always go 3 sided. some ideas...

- you said you used a Javelin on the enemy BMP. well its possible you may have killed a friendly in the area when you did which turned your buddies against you... Not likely but throughout the mission your friendly kills could pile up, which is why this doesnt happen until well into the mission.

- also, when you run 2 sided, I'm guessing you select "FRIENDLY" for Resistance in the setup screen yes? Well, when you do that, WEST and RESISTANCE are set to FRIEND and during the mission, the code will try to use both WEST and RESISTANCE to populate forces, creating groups under both sides. This should work since i use "setFriend" commands in the beginning of the mission to ally them, but i can see if Arma 2 gets buggy with faction relationships this would be an issue.

What you could try is if you want a 2 sided battle, set RESISTANCE to "ENEMY" so at least you know that all friendlies will be WEST and WEST only and there will be less chance for sillyness.

Even though I have never looked at the scripts, that makes sense in my ears. I will try set resistance as enemy instead.

When I attacked the BMP I only had the sniper in my team. I was observing it for a while before attacking, and I was pretty sure I messed up and he should have attacked me first, but he didn't. The second I blew it up, my sniper buddy shot me in the back. Funny as hell and frustrating at the same time.

Running out of time today but I will do some testing with -showScriptErrors this weekend.

Keep up the good work!

Version 2.8:

- new island : Hazar-Kot

- new addon : Army of Czech Republic DLC units supported

- new addon : Operation Northstar (Canada) forces

- new addon : Lost Brother's Gulf War Mod : US Army, USMC, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Qatar

- new config : for the LOBO Gulf War mod. Use the new config to have Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar available to all sides

- new : ARTILLERY!!! AI-controlled artillery teams will now start showing up on the battlefield

- new : artillery teams will travel between friendly camps. Periodically on their own they will be called in on fire missions by the AI.

- new : all mobile Arty including MLRS, GRAD, 2S1, mobile mortar vehicles, etc. are supported, including from user-made mods

- new : Player can request Arty support every XX minutes (10 by default, choice on Setup screen)

- new : 5 requested Arty missions: 5 x HE, 5 x WP, 5 x Smoke, 5 x Illum, 2 x SADARM

- tweak : raised chance Camp Patrol transitions to Roving Patrol

- tweak : to smooth out flow of battle, if one side's forces drop below 50 soldiers, reinforcements will automatically be hastened about 2x as AI "rushes" reinforcements to battle. Pace will slow back down to normal once prsence is increased.

- tweak : on setup screen, Relative strength settings overhauled. You can now choose 0 for relative strength and the options are now more logical.

- fix : put more logic in to make sure player unit marker keeps showing up after respawn

- fix : closed small chance that HQ vehicle would lose fuel

Amazing. Downloading it right now.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Also, I've got a question? Is there an easy way to disable weather module completely?

Amazing. Downloading it right now.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Also, I've got a question? Is there an easy way to disable weather module completely?

I can look into it

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

EDIT : Other than not starting it in the first place, which i'll put in, there isnt a way of exiting it.. the FSM doesnt come with an exit state.