Sign in to follow this  
Nutlink

Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter

I'm sure some people around here are familiar with Ground Branch by Blackfoot Studios (founded by John Sonedecker, one of the old Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon devs), but there seems to be another tac shooter contender in the works by a former colleague of his, Christian Serellan. Serellan has started a Kickstarter account to try and get people to pledge a few bucks for the game. It's not like you don't get anything for those few dollars, either. If you donate $15 or more you get a digital copy of the game when it's released, plus a few more things depending on how much you donate. If you're interested in any of this, please consider dropping a few bucks so we can get a tactical shooter out sometime in the tradition of the old R6/OGR/SWAT style games instead of the Battlefield and Call of Duty clones we see every year. I love ArmA for it's size and scope, but I'd love to see a smaller, CQC oriented tactical shooter as well.

there is so much to crowd-fund for future ARMAs :)

in fact i have problem to decide which one i shall pick as first ;)

I already made a contribution to the independent game development industry - just today, as a matter of fact - when I bought Project Zomboid :D

Looks like the indie industry isn't stammering, and in fact, looks to be very well off, but I'll pass.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

This in an Indi-fund kick starter program for the development of a new "hardcore tactical shooter", in the veins of the old R6 games, and SWAT. they have a goal of $200,000 before April 1st

I suggest anyone who is interested check out this webpage, and get the word out

I should note, I donated $50 USD, but the cool thing is if you donate over $100 you can submit content to the game to be included at launch (weapons, maps, modes, missions, etc).

Edited by That guy

he needs more coverage in media otherwise he never gets the funding target ...

that was my major let-down as well. Just presenting such a brief concept of a game will hardly motivate people to donate (sufficient) money...

Yes, the big problem is that there just not enought things to actually motivate me to put my me money on it, it could do better if there is some sort of show case for what we can expect. I mean look at Blackfoot studio, there are atless some stuff to hope on to.

Shame that Kickstarter only accepts Amazon payments via Credit card.

Most banks have throwaway VISA and Mastercard gift cards that work the same as Credit cards in stores and online.

No ID or bank account needed.

I was about to post this here. Bump. Surely there are plenty of ArmA fans who would like this game to enter development and get released.

I already made a contribution to the independent game development industry - just today, as a matter of fact - when I bought Project Zomboid :D

Looks like the indie industry isn't stammering, and in fact, looks to be very well off, but I'll pass.

Aside from ArmA, what other developer has shown an interest in creating a tactical shooter? Probably not an opportunity to pass up.

These guys.

http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/2/index.html

Theres also a mod for Crysis Warhead http://www.casusbelli-mod.com

There are a few others I've lost track of.. It's not that they aren't there, they just lack exposure.

Heroes and Generals is not supposed to be realistic or tactical, it will be a BF style game with an RTS element.

The mod for Crysis claims it will be "Half-way between Battlefield and modern Warfare 2" with no mention of any tactical or realistic features being added in. I think we can cross that off the list as well. Perhaps when RO2 gets the "RO Classic" mod there that might be enough to put it in a realistic/tactical shooter category, but for now, the newest tactical shooter I can think of outside of ArmA is GRAW 1/2. And even those were on the lighter side.

I hope BIS consider developing a hardcore CQB tactical shooter.

there is so much to crowd-fund for future ARMAs :)

in fact i have problem to decide which one i shall pick as first ;)

Can we start with the physcics first for the Community Alpha? :) I want to blow up satchels and watch ragdolls fly everywhere!!! Or freefall into a stack of crates and see what happens...O.O

Cool, I hope he gets his funding, there's not enough tactical shooters out there. None that do CQB well.

As for me, I'm not going to get a creditcard just for this. especially because it's still very vague.

Holy Crap. I just looked at that link and there is NO WAY that man is going to get his funding goal by that deadline...and it looked so fucking awesome too. My inner gamer has just died a thousand times over now :( I'm just so disappointed, and the worst of it is I'm not even surprised. God damn.

Sadly, tactical shooters are just not that popular. Though I think any decent tactical shooter will sell well (though not CoD numbers) because there is really no other game aside from ArmA.

Spread the word and send the links to others you know who play tactical shooters or even PC based games.

what looked so fucking awesome? The text? Did i miss some pics/vids from a WIP proof of concept? Or do you mean the video that ends with the kid holding the toy gun, which was completely unrelated...

someone actually went for the 2500$, and a couple more for the 1000$....

Edited by PuFu

kind of a vicious cycle.

"we need money to so we can make something to show you guys"

"we need to see some concept or progress before we feel comfortable that this just wont turn int vaporware"

"but we need money to start..."

"lets see some progress..."

etc

in this case i am going to put my faith into the dev team. they need this money not only for development, but to show more potential investors that there is enough demand for this kind of game so it will get made. if everyone simply holds back and waits for some one else or some sort of progress, its essentially dooming the project to failure or vaporware. a self-fulfilling prophecy. of course i just really really want to see a good R6 rouge spear/raven shield style Tacshooter like the old days.

That guy

There was a post with this subject matter with the exact same title as you chose, that predated your thread by 3 days (albeit in the wrong forum). In the future, please search before posting a new thread.

Please review the rules you agreed to on March 6th. Thank you.

Merging...

what looked so fucking awesome? The text? Did i miss some pics/vids from a WIP proof of concept? Or do you mean the video that ends with the kid holding the toy gun, which was completely unrelated...

someone actually went for the 2500$, and a couple more for the 1000$....

2mmg0fk.jpg

This game will get back to the core of what is loved about the tac-shooter, featuring realistic weapon modeling, outfitting and commanding your squad, objective-based, non-linear missions set in real-world locations around the world, single player, co-op, and multiplayer.

Perhaps he could have worded it better by saying "sounds" instead of "looked" but it's pretty obvious that he's talking about the idea, nothing tangible. If you don't want to contribute to another tactical shooter, that's fine, but why are you looking down on those that do (and support it with their own money)?

The main goal of the Kickstarter is not to wholly fund the game. The Kickstarter is to show investors (not necessarily publishers) that there is a market for it. If he could hit is $200,000 goal, then the outside investors are much more ready to hit the green button. If you pledge something and in the end it doesn't reach the goal, your pledge disappears and you don't send any money. A pledge now at least shows your support for a game like this. If you like a game like ArmA (which I'm assuming people on these forums do ;)) and would like a similar type game that focuses on CQB, then here is your chance to show it. A game like this will almost certainly never get made without a lot of "grassroots" type support. While I agree the "content" of the future game is lacking, it's not like this guy appeared out of nowhere. Personally I am sick of cookie cutter military shooters (i.e. CoD, BF, MoH). Aside from ArmA there is nothing in the "tactical shooter" realm and a tactical CQB shooter is non-existent currently. Just my $.02.

The main goal of the Kickstarter is not to wholly fund the game. The Kickstarter is to show investors (not necessarily publishers) that there is a market for it. If he could hit is $200,000 goal, then the outside investors are much more ready to hit the green button. If you pledge something and in the end it doesn't reach the goal, your pledge disappears and you don't send any money. A pledge now at least shows your support for a game like this. If you like a game like ArmA (which I'm assuming people on these forums do ;)) and would like a similar type game that focuses on CQB, then here is your chance to show it. A game like this will almost certainly never get made without a lot of "grassroots" type support. While I agree the "content" of the future game is lacking, it's not like this guy appeared out of nowhere. Personally I am sick of cookie cutter military shooters (i.e. CoD, BF, MoH). Aside from ArmA there is nothing in the "tactical shooter" realm and a tactical CQB shooter is non-existent currently. Just my $.02.

This post sums it up well. Sadly, if this fails, I doubt anyone will fund a tactical shooter in the future due to thinking there is not enough interest.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mmg0fk.jpg

Perhaps he could have worded it better by saying "sounds" instead of "looked" but it's pretty obvious that he's talking about the idea, nothing tangible. If you don't want to contribute to another tactical shooter, that's fine, but why are you looking down on those that do (and support it with their own money)?

Actually, PuFu has a very good point.

Everything stated there could be stated on a CoD box. All I have is his word. No concepts, no detailed Ideas how CQB should work etc.