Is there a way to get on-map mortars firing without the user's input? I would like the AI to use them against me or other AI, either direct or indirect fire. I'm puzzled as to why they shipped on map mortars with the game when they don't really do anything - just for looks I guess?

Of course they're not just for looks.

Since I'm guessing you aren't proficient with mission coding, I recommend looking up some easy-use arty mods like Blake's Forward Observer.

Slightly off topic, but the mortar-sound (the whistling of the grenade flying through the air) of the Arma-II-triggers is missing. Hopefully a future patch will add it.

Well, what I'm asking is if the game ships with default functionality for it's mortars, not a user made mod. It's odd to me that they would completely rely on user coding to make their weapons function.

I tested the default basic support module in the editor and both the mortar support and artillery support requests worked well, although the mortars seemed quite a bit overpowered. I just pretended they were 120mm mortars and I felt a little better about it...

On-map mortars work well also, and I was able to hear the whistling of the rounds going through the air. You can test it very easy. If you go into the first German single-player mission (can't remember name of it), you walk up to the GrW34 and assign two of your squad members to get in. Then you can find a target such as one of the ZiS-3 guns out there and task one of the mortar crew to fire at it. The crew will fire 3-5 mortar rounds at it and then stop.

I tested the default basic support module in the editor and both the mortar support and artillery support requests worked well, although the mortars seemed quite a bit overpowered. I just pretended they were 120mm mortars and I felt a little better about it...

On-map mortars work well also, and I was able to hear the whistling of the rounds going through the air. You can test it very easy. If you go into the first German single-player mission (can't remember name of it), you walk up to the GrW34 and assign two of your squad members to get in. Then you can find a target such as one of the ZiS-3 guns out there and task one of the mortar crew to fire at it. The crew will fire 3-5 mortar rounds at it and then stop.

Confirmed. SSM is working and I wonder too, what´s the basic weaponry used in there. Devastating!

Created a group of 3 mortars and a leader (player unit) who acts as FO in the same group. Select all (or single) mortars, then assign map location either in map mode, or assign by just pointing.

However, didn´t find any ingame means yet, that allow to use a subordinate group of mortars in High Command. :( Invasion44 has a nice FO unit working for this purpose.