Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

[WIP] Phaze Sound Mod

Because sound, much like music, is subject to personal taste I've started work on a sound replacement addon that will replace all hand-held weapon sounds. I personally feel alot of the current sound samples lack alot of ambience when heard in-game, and are not always balanced very well for sound range or volume.

I aim for the following with this addon:

- New sounds for all hand-held weapons.

- Sounds that are as natural and realistic as the engine allows.

- Properly balanced sounds that are not too tinny, too quiet or too "hollywood" and over-the-top.

Hi guys, I have some good news.

Panzer_baron at AWAR has been in contact with me and I have started some work on helping to create some new sound samples for Iron Front. This is under the recently announced community mods program, which if you have not read yet can be found here: http://forum.iron-front.com/showthread.php?358-Iron-Front-Liberation-1944-Modding-possibilities-Announcement

Unfortunately I cannot give any sort of timeframe as I am only doing this in my spare time so work and personal life do come first, but I have been prioritising working on new sound samples that hopefully address current community criticisms and improve the game experience for everyone as much as possible. Panzer_baron has been very helpful giving feedback and answering technical questions, and the team at X1 / AWAR will be testing any new sound samples before they make the final decision to include these in a future patch.

Edited by Phazon

Get those awesome explosion sounds and I'm all yours, hope Iron front unlocks addonmaking soon, can't wait mate!

Hi guys, I have some good news.

Panzer_baron at AWAR has been in contact with me and I have started some work on helping to create some new sound samples for Iron Front. This is under the recently announced community mods program, which if you have not read yet can be found here: http://forum.iron-front.com/showthread.php?358-Iron-Front-Liberation-1944-Modding-possibilities-Announcement

Unfortunately I cannot give any sort of timeframe as I am only doing this in my spare time so work and personal life do come first, but I have been prioritising working on new sound samples that hopefully address current community criticisms and improve the game experience for everyone as much as possible. Panzer_baron has been very helpful giving feedback and answering technical questions, and the team at X1 / AWAR will be testing any new sound samples before they make the final decision to include these in a future patch.

Great idea. Are you aiming for a more historical sound mod as in realistic, or a mod to just replace the sounds based on what you

think is a good replacement for whats there currently?

I'd personally like to hear the actual sounds based on historical references for WW2, being a WW2 history buff any sound that goes

off the beaten path of how a weapon really sounded is an immersion killer at least for me anyways.

I will be aiming for sounds to be as realistic and immersive as possible in the RV engine. :)

Phazon nice to hear your pursuing the sound mod development, I am eager to hear your work....

kind regards

Thank you! Looking forward to it! :) Is it also possible to add few more environmental battle sounds to the game? So far we just have 3.

Thank you! Looking forward to it! :) Is it also possible to add few more environmental battle sounds to the game? So far we just have 3.

Hello there,

Do you refer to distant sounds of battle etc? If these are added in can they be turn offable/turn downable, as I find them horribly distracting especially when I'm trying to listen out for real enemies?

For eg I turn of the music (or have it super low) as, for me, its a distraction.

It would be great if we had the eviro sounds for those who want them and even better if users that cant abide them can turn them off/down. :)

Golly, I sound like an old man complaining about the loud "music of today's kids".*

rgds

LoK

* it's not like the punk of my youth in the 70's

Is it also possible to add few more environmental battle sounds to the game? So far we just have 3.

You can already do this within the mission editor it selves, you need to convert the sound to OGG and then put it in your mission folder and then use this code which you need to put int the description.ext

class CfgSounds
{
// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)
sounds[] = {radiomes1};

// Definition for each sound
class radiomes1
{
name = "radiomes1"; // Name for mission editor
sound[] = {\sound\radiomes1.ogg, 1, 1.0};
titles[] = {};
};

};

after youve added the sounds you want to use add this in a trigger to fire it up

playSound "SoundName"

there is however a 50KB limit to the sound however I am not entirely sure of it ...

Hello there,

Do you refer to distant sounds of battle etc? If these are added in can they be turn offable/turn downable, as I find them horribly distracting especially when I'm trying to listen out for real enemies?

Orlok I think he means with environmental battle sounds e.g. Artillery fire round impacts, or the sound of distant weapon discharges, whether you can tune them up or down is depending on how the mission is developed. For example when I am developing a mission I like to add environmental battle sounds too, it never crossed my mind to add an option to turn them on or off because of the mere fact you cant do it in real life aether. But i think it might be possible to add the option by trigger maybe or even by script.

You can also tune down the sound it selves but this might interfere with the other environmental sounds to e.g. the AI enemy which is approaching you etc,...

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

You can already do this within the mission editor it selves, you need to convert the sound to OGG and then put it in your mission folder and then use this code which you need to put int the description.ext

class CfgSounds
{
// List of sounds (.ogg files without the .ogg extension)
sounds[] = {radiomes1};

// Definition for each sound
class radiomes1
{
name = "radiomes1"; // Name for mission editor
sound[] = {\sound\radiomes1.ogg, 1, 1.0};
titles[] = {};
};

};

after youve added the sounds you want to use add this in a trigger to fire it up

playSound "SoundName"

there is however a 50KB limit to the sound however I am not entirely sure of it ...

Orlok I think he means with environmental battle sounds e.g. Artillery fire round impacts, or the sound of distant weapon discharges, whether you can tune them up or down is depending on how the mission is developed. For example when I am developing a mission I like to add environmental battle sounds too, it never crossed my mind to add an option to turn them on or off because of the mere fact you cant do it in real life aether. But i think it might be possible to add the option by trigger maybe or even by script.

You can also tune down the sound it selves but this might interfere with the other environmental sounds to e.g. the AI enemy which is approaching you etc,...

kind regards

Thanks, KBourne! :) I´ll make some experiments with that.

Yes, I add the environmental FX via "Trigger" --> "Effects" --> "Environment" and thus far, stick with (IF) Combat Ambient 1.

I´m mostly messing around with self made Plt. or Cpy. size battles and without any environmental FX, the battlefield feels way too much "isolated" from any frontlines. It´s more of an immersion thing and so far, the given combat ambient FX do not really mess with the real weapon sounds in the game. At least I have no problem to distinguish any of them and get distracted. Think just one combat ambient FX is allowed to play beside the default one (wind noise ect.)

I´d even wish for some "thicker" stuff, with distant MG bursts, small raging infantry battles and such. :) I know from other games a number of good ones and I might convert some for my personal use. I´ll see.

Thanks for showing interest guys! If all goes well you should be seeing some of the new sound samples with the next update. It is a bit challenging at times as I am not always in constant contact with the devs due to timezone differences to get feedback from them, but I'm confident the work I've done so far should bring some significant improvements.

So far I've done new sounds for the following effects:

-New Kar98k gunshot sound + new bolt action sound

-New Mosin-Nagant gunshot sound + new bolt action sound

-New MP40 gunshot sound

I've focused on the sounds that I felt needed the most improvement first. My main aim behind all the new sounds so far are that they are as realistic as possible, while also being distinct enough so you can tell one weapon sound from another. I also spent alot of time mixing the gunshot sounds to make sure they had a decent reverberation / environmental effect which helps improve the immersion that you are actually firing a gun outdoors.

Good to hear you're reworking the sounds Phazon. Keep up the good work.

I agree these guns definetly needed fixing !! I am glad someone is working on that !! GJ I hope this process doesn't become too slow or cumbersome !!

Hello,

Here are some tank engine sounds taken from the real vehicles in action.

Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38097529/motor.7z

See if you can include them as well, then we can hear the real thing.

Good luck with your mod and thanks for doing it.

Alan

Edited by alan123
corrected link info again sorry this time right link

You post that link and said that there are new tank textures, and then you post it again and saying there are sounds. So what is inside? Looks like a spam)

Hello,

Fixed the link to the sounds, thanks for pointing it out.

AL

I'm mainly focusing on hand weapons. I find the current vehicle sounds are pretty good, not to mention they involve alot more sound samples than the 2 or 3 a weapon would use. Unfortunately I've been flat out at work and haven't had much spare time to spend on the mod. I'd like to get something out there but I want to make sure its a quality release thats done right. I'm still learning the nuances that are specific to how ArmA 2 handles sound compared to other games, and it makes things harder than it should be sometimes!

OT

@KBourne

that just applys to custom sounds that u can add in ur profile, but this can also vary depended on server configuration

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Multiplayer_Custom_Sounds_Tutorial

Known restrictions

Filesize: max. 50 KB (beside possible server-side restrictions)

missions can have lots of MBs for sounds (good example: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16250&highlight=TEARS :)

Edited by RunForrest

I'm mainly focusing on hand weapons. I find the current vehicle sounds are pretty good, not to mention they involve alot more sound samples than the 2 or 3 a weapon would use. Unfortunately I've been flat out at work and haven't had much spare time to spend on the mod. I'd like to get something out there but I want to make sure its a quality release thats done right. I'm still learning the nuances that are specific to how ArmA 2 handles sound compared to other games, and it makes things harder than it should be sometimes!

Hello,

I agree with you with regards the Russian tanks, the sounds are not too bad and do sound a bit like the real thing. The German tanks tho need work especially the Panther and Tiger II. Even you just changed the external running sound for the ones in my attachment it would do the job. The internal sounds are ok.

Cheers

Alan

Glad that someone is working on the sounds. I swear the Russian mg sounds like the Mg-42. Like they got them mixed up or something. Even the Mosin Nagant sound way uber. Looking forward to these sounds.