Sign in to follow this  
Remon

DCS: Combined Arms

Press Release

Pre-Purchase “DCS: Combined Arms†in June 2012

DUXFORD, UK, May 31st 2012 – The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics will offer DCS: Combined Arms as a digital download pre-purchase for $29.99 in June 2012. Pre-purchase also provides access to pre-release Beta versions of the title.

DCS: Combined Arms gives the user control of ground forces during the battle. Use the strategic map to move ground forces, set artillery fire missions, and control the ground battle. Assume the role of a Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) and designate targets for close air support aircraft, or directly control an armor vehicles or air defense weapons and engage enemy forces.

Play DCS: Combined Arms as a real time strategy game, a first person armor warfare simulation, or direct the ground battle from the cockpit of a DCS aircraft like the A-10C Warthog, Ka-50 Black Shark, or P-51D Mustang.

DCS: Combined Arms supports both single player and multiplayer gameplay. When in multiplayer, different players can take on different roles such as artillery commanders, tank commanders, pilots, JTACS, etc. DCS: Combined Arms allows you full control of the battle. All roles can be changed dynamically during the battle.

Features of the DCS: Combined Arms:

• Move ground forces and direct their fire during a mission.

• Be the Joint Terminal Attack Controller (JTAC) and direct close air support.

• Jump into the seat of many armor and air defense units to engage enemy air and ground forces.

• Play in both single player and multiplayer games.

• Both small and large scale battle missions included.

• Part of DCS World

Trailer:

I was only expecting a JTAC from the Combined Arms, (very) pleasantly surprised.

very nice. except for ground textures, but if they bring such high levels of sim to this like for a10 then i am in!

Well, that's to be expected from a flight sim, we'll just have to wait and see how's the Nevada map and the EDGE engine that comes with it.

Funny, seems like ED is pulling a reverse ARMA, with a high fidelity air unit sim blended with a lower fidelity ground units sim/RTS.

Brilliant,

I was expecting something like that since so many years

For a flight simmer, it's the holy graal, and online battles will be epic

I had big hopes with TOH hind, but was disappoint with the arcadish hind's modelisation

Can't wait to try this module

This looks so damn incredible!!! I can not wait.

I've tried looking for more information but is there any estimated release time for it?

I was just going to create a thread: why can't DCS and BI collaborate and allow the best of both worlds to be united in the definitive simulation?

I'd love that...

I was just going to create a thread: why can't DCS and BI collaborate and allow the best of both worlds to be united in the definitive simulation?

I'd love that...

Because only few people will be able to buy a PC which will run this 'united' sim at least with 25 fps.

Because only few people will be able to buy a PC which will run this 'united' sim at least with 25 fps.

25 FPS is not that bad, a bit laggy but well yea true it will require good specs.

Clients would be specific, only net code and servers should be revisited I think.

...no scripting would be a mess too...

Well I didn't say it was easy :p

But from a programming point of view on any client you're running just a single instance of anything: there is never a moment when you are running both the human simulation AND the helicopter flight model.

Either you are on foot or in the heli, can't be both last time I checked ;)

Swiped on my Optimus2X with Tapas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IodepBs0w7M&feature=player_embedded

From RPS comments, makes sense:
A nice trailer doesn’t make up for the company’s lack of forward movement with their franchise.

The P-51 was a side project one of the Eagle Dynamics staff was working on, it got noticed and they decided to sell it as a flagship product.

This is the company famed for producing the most accurately detailed modern combat simulations (asides from the fan-made Benchmark Sims mod for Falcon 4). For them to make an advanced Russian attack helicopter, then the workhorse of the USAF that is the A-10C and follow it with hyping up that the next module is what everyone’s been waiting for – a US teenie fighter – which means finally proper air-to-air combat, supersonic flight and of course radar. And as soon as people are getting ready for further news on it, ED announce earlier this year they still aren’t even sure which plane they’re going to make over a year after A-10C was released.

And now this, the insanity of releasing a World War II propellor plane. Don’t be fooled into thinking there is some Messerschmit’s to juke it out against, or some Panzers to strafe – they’ve put this directly into the modern DCS theatre: full of Mach-2 MiG-29s and SU-27s, ZSU-23-4 Shilka’s and more advanced SAM systems than most 1st world countries. Any idea of realism or immersion is straight out of the window.

Meanwhile the fanbase that was waiting patiently for an F-15/16/18 is looking on in bewildement as this and DCS “World†is released (because a basic arcade tank sim is just what a combat flight sim needs…) at what is likely to turn into another World War II Online. The development team will see less and less income as a result of not heading in the previously announced direction, and after a few years people will see through the facade. I’m still not entirely convinced there’s that many staff on the dev team as we speak, I mean how long could it possibly take to develop ONE plane? That, of course, is assuming they’ve even started development on it at all.

The discussion goes on: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/25/dcs-p-51d-mustangs-astounding-trailer/

It looks like a cool plane and all but it seems kind of weird trying to shoot down German P-51s or going after Migs.

It looks like a cool plane and all but it seems kind of weird trying to shoot down German P-51s or going after Migs.

Not completely rediculous. RNAS F4 Phantoms almost went into combat against Guatamalian P51's in the 70's.

Dan;2179234']Not completely rediculous. RNAS F4 Phantoms almost went into combat against Guatamalian P51's in the 70's.

And something tells me the Phantoms would've won. Although I do recognize that prop planes have some advantages of jets I don't feel like they would've done well.

Not entirely. DCS A-10 wasn't announced until it was well into development. The next fighter has been in development, but remains unannounced because ED waits until they are near beta for their own reasons. DCS World is the framework that integrates all sims to a common interface. The fact that the JTAC adding includes armored combat isn't DCS World in itself.

As for the P-51. Is a show piece to show 3rd party developers the flexibility of the engine. It seemed to have worked as multiple aircraft from 3rd parties are steadily being announced.

I don't this is the death-throes of ED.

Looks pretty good, i always wondered if this was gonna happen in a mod but its great that is getting done properly.