Sign in to follow this  
Dajunka

Graphic mind melt.

By trail and error, I finally got my AMD graphics to look pretty decent in Arma II.

Using exactly the same graphic settings, my graphics in Iron front are a right mess. How can this be, they both use the same engine don't they? And I haven't got a clue how better to configure them.

Describe better what issues do you have there.

Its hard to figure out from your post.

Describe better what issues do you have there.

Its hard to figure out from your post.

I was thinking that there must be a lot of people who have the same problem who would know straight away what I was talking about.

In general, the textures are all over the place, keep changing weather you are close or far away. Most vehicles sort of jerk along, rather than move. In game AA does not seem to work properly.

I don't know if it's my card, drivers or the games fault. As I said Arma II looks great, so I am a little baffled at what's wrong. :confused:

Put in the video settings the Video memory: default.

It was already set at default panzer_baron.

Anyone else with a ATI HD 5850-1gig, that is having these problems with Iron front?

its not your ATI, i had the same in OA with 5770, when close to buildings. it is fixed now, but now i have same problem with IF44 with a 560gtx.

see here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134767-first-impression-and-any-questions/page11 post 105

what helps a bit for me is when i enable ATOC (needs AA enabled), but still big towns r not playable, surprise! surprise! well we have nice detailed towns to look at - use them? no no how u dare!

its not your ATI, i had the same in OA with 5770, when close to buildings. it is fixed now, but now i have same problem with IF44 with a 560gtx.

see here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134767-first-impression-and-any-questions/page11 post 105

what helps a bit for me is when i enable ATOC (needs AA enabled), but still big towns r not playable, surprise! surprise! well we have nice detailed towns to look at - use them? no no how u dare!

Ah, this puts a new perspective on things.

Let's see if I understand correctly.

I play Arma II-OA using the latest beta patches, and apart from a little texture shimering the game runs and looks great.

So, what I need to do is shelve IF44 until the Awar update the actual Arma II engine in IF44, yes?

I just put the whole game on RamDisk and that seems to have lessened the LOD flickers dramatically.

I just put the whole game on RamDisk and that seems to have lessened the LOD flickers dramatically.

RamDisk, now I have not heard that mentioned for a long time.

How do you go about setting one up on a PC?

Or just switch to a SSD, did that and texture popping is nearly non existant.

Ramdisk may be even more fast but before i get that much Ram and configure the thing i just installed a SSD and all was fine.

Also got Windows 7 on it which boots extremely fast so win win.

I followed this video tutorial and now have my ramDisk setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrecoX2nsOM

Time to test the game. :)

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Much better, except for the trees and bushes, they look as if they are made out of plasticine. Any idea's?

what helps for me a bit is using ATOC. Vegetation doesnt look good with it imo but LOD popping is reduced and i also get a bit more FPS.

in ur IF.cfg set

FSAA=1 (must be enabled or ATOC wont work)

ATOC=6

what helps for me a bit is using ATOC. Vegetation doesnt look good with it imo but LOD popping is reduced and i also get a bit more FPS.

in ur IF.cfg set

FSAA=1 (must be enabled or ATOC wont work)

ATOC=6

This helped a little but vegetation still looks messy and keeps changing textures, plus when the tanks roll in everything becomes a slideshow.

I don't know, maybe I will put this one a way for a while. I get the feeling that it still needs a hell of a lot of work before it's enjoyable.

Good news is that using a ramdisk page-file has made Arma II play much better. It's looking great and I am getting a good 45fps which will do me nicely.

Question: I have 8 gig of ram and have allocated 4 gig to the ramdisk page-file. Does this sound about right to you?

Question: I have 8 gig of ram and have allocated 4 gig to the ramdisk page-file. Does this sound about right to you?

Not really sure what you're asking.

I've thought about taking the RAM disk route, but I think I may end up getting a solid-state drive when ArmA III comes out.

Not really sure what you're asking.

I've thought about taking the RAM disk route, but I think I may end up getting a solid-state drive when ArmA III comes out.

I will probably end up with a SSD. But until I can afford one the ramdisk seems to increase performance very well and cost me zero moneys. :)

The wanted to know what size of ramdisk-page-file is the norm? I just took a guess and used half of my available memory.

Cracked it.

It looks as if IF detects your localvram and nonlocalvram wrongly. Changing these to the values found in my ArmA II CO config file done the trick and has fixed the game performance issues I was having.

Cracked it.

It looks as if IF detects your localvram and nonlocalvram wrongly. Changing these to the values found in my ArmA II CO config file done the trick and has fixed the game performance issues I was having.

Strange, those values are supposed to be (over-)written by the engine at each start...

Strange, those values are supposed to be (over-)written by the engine at each start...

Just checked this and they have NOT reverted back to the wrong values. Before I changed them manually they were completely wrong, and that's why I was having so much trouble with the game. The only thing I can think of is that these values are only written to the config on instalment.

Just checked this and they have NOT reverted back to the wrong values. Before I changed them manually they were completely wrong, and that's why I was having so much trouble with the game. The only thing I can think of is that these values are only written to the config on instalment.

They were set exactly the same as my ArmA config. And yet, ArmA still runs better for me.

Yes, this is very true. ArmA II runs much better even with the same settings but, at least now, I can play IF. It was unplayable before I discovered the bad config.