Sign in to follow this  
Hilandor

What is your most favorite era of war

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ June 18 2002,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">East LA gang wars wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ill second that wink.gif

but on a larger scale, im interested in genghis khan and the monguls.

"I know not with what weapons world war 3 will be faught, but world war 4 will be faught with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein

WWII pacfic warfare.

Japan navy kicks ass and its zero fighters!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hasha @ June 19 2002,22:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WWII pacfic warfare.

Japan navy kicks ass and its zero fighters!<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm, didn't they lose? smile.gif

COLINMAN

Mostly interested in Pacific Theater World War 2, particularly naval battles.

Tied for second would be the Revolutionary War, and then antiquity, particularly Roman, and Greek. Always wonder what it must have been like when the world really was new. First contact between peoples, and not knowing if when you walk over a hill someone else had seen it or not.

Also interested in the social causes of WW1, and social upheavals WW1 caused.

I have to say Modern Warfare, although WW2 interests me greatly. I also find Rome when it was conquering everything to be interesting.

But, undoubtably Modern Warfare is my biggest interest. In particular, I am intrigued by the tragic event in Somali (Black Hawk Down) in 1993. I read the book and the articles several times, not to mention watching the DVD atleast 10 times thus far. I just can't emphasize how much I am interested in the conflict.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 20 2002,11:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Real Bravo Two Zero, McNab sensationalized a lot of the stuff in the book, giving it a Hollywood treatment.   Basically they say McNab lied.  

That doesnt make it less of a fun read, but it casts doubts into my mind if it should be classified as 'Non Fiction'<span id='postcolor'>

Have read Mcnabs and chris ryan(the one that got away)

recently the real bravo 2 zero some interesting facts

Basically both Ryan and Mcnab "stretched" the truth you can`t take away what Ryan did but he also says a few things I don`t agree with like bagging dead people off they can`t defend themselves can they but Ashton(real bravo 2.0) goes to find the truth and comes up with interesting truths.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (loopy @ June 23 2002,13:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have read Mcnabs and chris ryan(the one that got away)

Basically both Ryan and Mcnab "stretched" the truth<span id='postcolor'>

Did you watch the documentary on C4? It said that basically everything in B2Z is bollocks and there's no proof of them killing a single Iraqi, unlike the 200 or so the book is supposed to say they killed?

i personnaly like the colonial wars in the end of the XIX century and the start of ww2

i also like ww2 and modern warfare , every period interest me , every period is different and can be interesting

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (habdoel @ June 19 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Congo 1960<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting that you picked that one.

my grandfather served over there twice during the 60's. Once when he was in the Irish Army and again when he was a merc.

I am interested in the western front of WW2 particulary in operation market garden and D-Day.

I like any wars that have a lot of wierd violence in them. For example i like the olden days where they'd put guys in big catapults and chuck them at castles, but not the poncy gulf war. I also like tanks, so WW2 onwards is pretty cool. My favorite warring civilisations are the Brits, Japanese, Romans (not only did they have cool fights, but some wicked perverted leaders that are interesting to read about) and any of those olden day ones who went around with big army slaughtering people just for fun (eg. the kahn bloke).

Favorite battle i like to study is Stalingrad and the funniest conflict i think is vietnam.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStar @ June 23 2002,16:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (habdoel @ June 19 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Congo 1960<span id='postcolor'>

Interesting that you picked that one.

my grandfather served over there twice during the 60's. Once when he was in the Irish Army and again when he was a merc.

I am interested in the western front of WW2 particulary in operation market garden and D-Day.<span id='postcolor'>

Have you read Cornelius Ryan's book that they based the movie on? Probably the best overall work I've managed to find on Market Garden.

It was a brilliant plan. Too bad Montgomery never believed that it was possible for it to fail. Monty seems like a brilliant man, but far too certain that he is incapable of underestimating the enemy. Plus, having panzer troops in the arnhem area didnt help biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 23 2002,17:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you read Cornelius Ryan's book that they based the movie on?  <span id='postcolor'>

"A Bridge Too Far"?

My dad was in the congo in the 60s.

I'm mostly interested in "the Nam" Just thinking about it gets me excited. M79 grenade launchers, night patrols, jumping out of hueys in a hot LZ, burning villages....

I'm also really interested in WW2 propaganda. Mostly the posters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 23 2002,18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Monty seems like a brilliant man, but far too certain that he is incapable of underestimating the enemy.  Plus, having panzer troops in the arnhem area didnt help biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, two SS Panzer diviaions were all that stood between Allies and Germany (apart from the bridges themselves and lines of defence). Now if the allies had succeeded and gone for Berlin (A Russian target) Stalin might have been a bit pissed off smile.gif

Close Combat 2 is good on the Arnhem conflict. The game. Got through it being German easy but I never finished it with the Allies. Still had XXX Corps held up at the first bridge near the end simply using panzerfausts, waiting for armor to come from the north smile.gif and they did.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ June 23 2002,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm also really interested in WW2 propaganda.  Mostly the posters.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah thats pretty good. Seen documentries of speeches made by top Nazi officials. They seemed good, but there was really nothing in them (the speeches) but they expressed it in a way that made it look like it was something.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 23 2002,18:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 23 2002,17:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you read Cornelius Ryan's book that they based the movie on?  <span id='postcolor'>

"A Bridge Too Far"?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. I assumed people would know what I am talking about.

I guess assumption is the mother of all fuck ups wink.gif

Has anyone read Pegasus Bridge by Steven Ambrose? I have 200 dollars worth of books to spend in a few weeks, and I think most of it is going to be history.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 23 2002,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Has anyone read Pegasus Bridge by Steven Ambrose?<span id='postcolor'>

Not me nope.

A Bridge Too Far was excellent though, best factual WW2 book I've read smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 23 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A Bridge Too Far was excellent though, best factual WW2 book I've read smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Also one of the best war movies ever.

Ambrose (Band of Brothers) writes really well, I am just concerned that he's a little american-centric in his world view.

Can anyone reccomend any other good World War II historians?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 23 2002,22:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (loopy @ June 23 2002,13wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have read Mcnabs and chris ryan(the one that got away)

Basically both Ryan and Mcnab "stretched" the truth<span id='postcolor'>

Did you watch the documentary on C4? It said that basically everything in B2Z is bollocks and there's no proof of them killing a single Iraqi, unlike the 200 or so the book is supposed to say they killed?<span id='postcolor'>

No mate I would have liked to see it as Australia dosen`t have C4 but they usually have a lot of that stuff on abc from uk tv have to wait and see.

Read real b 2 o worth a read a mate of mine served with Asher says he is a "Fair Dinkum"bloke wouldn`t bullshit so U would take his book as the truth.

Placebo mate bummer about the soccer!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ June 24 2002,04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 23 2002,19wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Has anyone read Pegasus Bridge by Steven Ambrose?<span id='postcolor'>

Not me nope.

A Bridge Too Far was excellent though, best factual WW2 book I've read <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I have heaps of stuff on Peagasus bridge my uncle was there!!

A good historian writer is a guy called "Max Arthur" is very good british military writer knows his stuff I think his publisher is century hutchinson or was

I'm interested in just about every war..

The Napoleonic wars, Prussia and Austria vs France at Liepzig and Austria v Prussia at Koniggratz. Also the sea campaigns like the Trafalgar Campaign, Battle of the Nile, Cape St Vincent etc.

The Brit colonial wars, South Africa against the Zulu warriors.

Not too interested in ww1, though I'm interested in the mess up at Gallipoli and some of the tank battles like Cambrai.

World War 2, I don't understand how people can just say they are interested in world war 2, theres so many different parts.

I'm mainly interested in:

The Battle of Britain

Crete/Med

North Africa

Pacific

Atlantic

But right now I'm currently researching the Burma campaign. I love this part of the war because people don't know much about it. When someone mentions world war 2 people automatically think of Europe or the Pacific.

No wonder they called it the forgotten army. I'm interested in the Gurkhas and how they fared in the deep jungle fighting, I think the Brit pacific fleet later in the war is quite interesting too.

Vietnam, love that era's music and its jet aircraft. The F-4 Phantom II is the most cool aircraft man has ever constructed.

BTW as for books on modern warfare & special forces I reccomend readint 'Unscathed' by Major Phil Ashby, Royal Marines.

On 6 May 2000 Major Phil Ashby's mission as UN Peacekeeper in the war-ravaged Sierra Leone was brought to a voilent end. The notorious rebel soldiers he had worked so hard to disarm restarted the country's civil war, and theur first act was to turn on the UN's representatives, torturing and butchering a number of his collegues and taking over 500 hostages. Ashby and three other Western soldiers found themselves cut off in a small compound in hostile territory, surrounded by rebels who taunted them by throwing the blood-stained uniforms of fellow UN workers over the walls. After four days of physical and psychological bombardment, Ashby took the decision to risk being killed trying to escape rather than be taken alive. So at 2.45 am the next morning, faces blacked with charcoal, his team went over the wall. They were surrounded by rebel troops and outnumbered by at least twenty to one. They were also unarmed. Their chances of escaping alive were very slim. But despite trekking day and night for almost a week without food or water, Ashby somehow found the strength and courage to lead his colleagues on a daring, dramatic and heart-stopping race to freedom through the hostile jungle. He was awarded the Queens Gallantry medal for his actions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">F-4 Phantom II<span id='postcolor'>

Mans way of proving that, given enough thrust, even a brick can fly...