Sign in to follow this  
colinm9991

Dedicated Server - NAT Negotiation Failed

=====================================================================
== C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe
== expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe  -winxp -nosplash -skipintro "-cfg=[REMOVED]" "-config=[REMOVED]" "-bepath=[REMOVED]" "-profiles=[REMOVED]" "-mod=expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_SM;servermods\@FOG;@ACEX_USNavy;@JayArma2Lib_new;@ACRE"
=====================================================================
Exe timestamp: 2012/05/30 20:31:22
Current time:  2012/05/30 20:57:28

Version 1.60.93296
Updating base class ->DefaultDie, by ca\air\config.bin/CfgMovesMaleSdr/States/KIA_AH1Z_Pilot/
Updating base class ->ACE_CharliePack, by x\eod\addons\eod\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/ACE_PRC119/
Updating base class Man->CAManBase, by x\st\addons\st_littlebird_enhance\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/CAManBase/
Updating base class AH6_Base_EP1->MH6J_EP1, by x\st\addons\st_littlebird_enhance\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/MH6J_EP1/
Updating base class MH6J_EP1->AH6_Base_EP1, by x\ace\addons\c_veh_transport\config.bin/CfgVehicles/MH6J_EP1/
Updating base class CAManBase->Man, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgVehicles/CAManBase/
Updating base class ->ACE_Rucksack_MOLLE_Green, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_ANPRC77/
Updating base class ->ACE_PRC119, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_PRC119_MAR/
Updating base class ->ACE_PRC119, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_PRC119_ACU/
Updating base class ->ACE_rucksack, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_P159_RD90/
Updating base class ->ACE_P159_RD90, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_P159_RD54/
Updating base class ->ACE_P159_RD90, by x\ace\addons\sys_ruck\config.bin/CfgWeapons/ACE_P159_RD99/
2012/05/30, 20:57:57 NAT Negotiation failed - unable to communicate with the server
2012/05/30, 20:58:07 NAT Negotiation failed - unable to communicate with the server
2012/05/30, 20:58:22 NAT Negotiation failed - unable to communicate with the server

Before I start, thought I'd post that.

Last lines, NAT Negotiation Failed. Only started happening about 30 minutes ago, nothing changed or was changed router side or server side (I'm hosting it myself)

This is the second server it's happened to and the group I'm hosting for actually switched to me for hosting, however now I'm having the same issue.

Those NAT errors only come when players try to join also.

Disabled UPnP but my webserver needs it so I re-enabled,

Forwarded ports, I'm in a DMZ Zone, Router firewall is on.

Done netsh winsock reset and restarted, nothing.

IP Address is Static all the time.

What else can I try?

--Update--

DNS Servers were on Manual in my PC Settings, changed to automatic.

Player connected without modifications, will re-test with modifications and see if it works.

--Update #2--

Works with full mods on client. Either it was caused by the DNS, or the NAT seems to have just re-opened itself perfectly.

Edited by ColinM9991

Well, nothing to do with your connection issues, but your mod line......

@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@CBA;

Shouldnt be all 3

Most likely, you should be running @CBA

For future reference if you have connection issues, after ruling out hardware, software settings etc, you should really try running a vanilla install to rule out any mod issues.

You could revisit your bandwidth settings !

Glad to hear it was only a temporary glitch anyway :-)

Edited by Terox

@CBA_A2;@CBA_OA;@CBA;

Shouldnt be all 3

Most likely, you should be running @CBA

All 3 CBA addons is perfectly correct since some time :)

Xeno

Sorry for the bump, this is happening again.

I've tried everything this time.

Operating system is Windows,

Beta is the latest 1.62

Edited by ColinM9991

I've just had exactly the same problem while running ARMA 2 with ACE, everything updated to the latest versions via Six Updater.

Been running this server for a few weeks without issues. Hosting off my local machine (non-dedicated server) on Windows 7 64-bit.

Then, in the middle of a playing session this evening (we were playing an Isla Duala map with 5 people) a new person tried to join us, He got "Connecting failed" after entering the password correctly. One existing player disconnected to help him, and then was also unable to rejoin the server (same error message).

I shut down the server and restarted it without closing the client, and then no-one could connect at all. Since then, everything has been tried with no success; suddenly no-one can connect to anyone else. People who were previously able to host fine can get some people connecting, but not others.

On my server I can get one guy to connect who's within the UK, but no-one else.

My .rpt fail reads "NAT Negotiation failed - unable to communicate with the server".

Edit: I can connect fine to any of my various regular Day Z servers.

However I get the error "NAT Negotiation failed (NNThink - result 2)" when trying to connect to another non-dedicated server that was previously working fine. People are also reporting similar issues with various Day Z servers:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41828-server-suddenly-stopped-working/

NNThink is a Gamespy API apparently. http://docs.poweredbygamespy.com/wiki/NNThink

Anyone having any idea what's going on?

Edited by Caddrel

It seems there are very little threads here regarding that issue.

Those that are here, are not very detailed on fixes etc.

I've read it might be an ISP issue, however my ISP's lines are down at the moment (They close at 9 PM)

We had multiple people, who had previously been able to host without problems, try to rehost for our group. No-one was able to connect to anyone else.

Occasionally we'd be able to get one other person onto a server consistently, but he would only be able to get onto that server and not one hosted by someone else.

There's also a Day Z thread here with people who began experiencing similar issues as of an hour or two ago: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41845-95208-connecting-failed/

I firmly believe now it is a Gamespy issue as all of the servers are powered by gamespy in the list.

And after reading more on NNThink, it seems that's fed back to NAT Negotiation.

A lot of people are now reporting this problem:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36686-connecting-failed/page__st__20

Have tried reinstalling Battleye, running game without any mods, running game without beta, downgrading beta, and all the usual things with routing/network (though my server was working fine up until the same point when a lot of server owners started reporting issues with new players being unable to connect).

Can connect to several servers just fine, but some show up Connecting Failed with the NNThink error in the .rpt log. Am also no longer able to host. Our group of players had four of us each try hosting and no-one could connect to anyone else.

Others show these same error codes I'm describing earlier in this thread.

The main error on clients connecting is, "NAT Negotiation failed (NNThink - result 2)"

The server error being shown is, "NAT Negotiation failed - unable to communicate with the server"

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Another thread on this forum which appears to be the same issue:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136844-Can-no-longer-host-multiplayer-games-with-a-friend

It worked for a brief period last night, however all of my servers have now gone back to reporting "NAT Negotiation Failed"

I wish gamespy would release some documentation or report on this as it seems to be their happening.

If it's an NAT issue it's your router & port forwarding config, plain and simple.

Nothing to do with your ISP, nothing to do with GameSpy, nothing to do with your mods.

Just make sure in your arma2 server config/modline somewhere that you are explicitly telling it to run on port 2302!

From memory, use "-port=2302" in the modline.

Edited by Lokyi

If it's an NAT issue it's your router & port forwarding config, plain and simple.

Nothing to do with your ISP, nothing to do with GameSpy, nothing to do with your mods.

Just make sure in your arma2 server config/modline somewhere that you are explicitly telling it to run on port 2302!

From memory, use "-port=2302" in the modline.

It's not my router, I've ran monitors on my router where nothing irregular has popped up.

I have all ports needed, my computer is in a DMZ zone.

Dude, I don't think you're quite getting it. If it's reporting an NAT issue, IT IS BETWEEN YOUR ROUTER AND YOUR SERVER. NAT exists nowhere else but inside your router. It doesn't get much plainer than that, so there's something somewhere you haven't set up right.

Firewall on the router won't affect it, people just wouldn't be able to see the server or connect full stop. it wouldn't half work, then half not work.

A firewall on your server could affect it, at is could be dropping packets between your server and your router. More likely to act as above though.

How have you got port forwarding set up on your router? When you say you "have a static IP all the time" do you mean your external (ISP) IP address is static, or you have your server mapped to a fix LAN IP?

Has anyone tried pinging the server from outside your network?

Dude, I don't think you're quite getting it. If it's reporting an NAT issue, IT IS BETWEEN YOUR ROUTER AND YOUR SERVER. NAT exists nowhere else but inside your router. It doesn't get much plainer than that, so there's something somewhere you haven't set up right.

Firewall on the router won't affect it, people just wouldn't be able to see the server or connect full stop. it wouldn't half work, then half not work.

A firewall on your server could affect it, at is could be dropping packets between your server and your router. More likely to act as above though.

How have you got port forwarding set up on your router? When you say you "have a static IP all the time" do you mean your external (ISP) IP address is static, or you have your server mapped to a fix LAN IP?

Has anyone tried pinging the server from outside your network?

Like I said, I'm in a DMZ Zone so Ports are absolutely no problem, it's an external IP address.

Players could still connect perfectly, just not through the in game browser so there was no NAT problem between MY router and my server

DMZ rarely work correctly, from any router manufacturer. If you are using DMZ and port forwarding, that is your NAT problem.

Ideal Setup:

Static LAN IP

disable firewall in router (SPI): NAT is a firewall

disable firewall on PC running server

Configure Port Forwarding 2302~2305 both UDP & TCP. You should then be pingeable, with no 2500ms ping reports either. As mentioned elsewhere, NAT is done in your router, any NAT related issues is and will be in the router being used.

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
typos and other grammatical errors, as usual...

Dude, I don't think you're quite getting it. IT IS BETWEEN YOUR ROUTER AND YOUR SERVER.
NAT is done in your router, any NAT related issues is and will be in the router being used.

No, you need to actually read up on the problem before throwing around false information. One of the problems being reported was apparently an issue with Gamespy which has now been resolved.

There are numerous threads and posts on this across this forum and the Day Z forum:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137619-Connecting-Failed&p=2193229&viewfull=1#post2193229

Read up on the issue before misleading people.

Maybe some people are experiencing setup issues, but a lot of people were hit by an outage or other problem that seemed to be on Gamespy's end.

No, you need to actually read up on the problem before throwing around false information. One of the problems being reported was apparently an issue with Gamespy which has now been resolved.

There are numerous threads and posts on this across this forum and the Day Z forum:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137619-Connecting-Failed&p=2193229&viewfull=1#post2193229

Read up on the issue before misleading people.

Maybe some people are experiencing setup issues, but a lot of people were hit by an outage or other problem that seemed to be on Gamespy's end.

Thank you! (Dwarden, you of course aswell)

I knew I wasnt all that crazy after reading up on the Gamespy API Documentation.

DMZ rarely work correctly, from any router manufacturer. If you are using DMZ and port forwarding, that is your NAT problem.

Ideal Setup:

Static LAN IP

disable firewall in router (SPI): NAT is a firewall

disable firewall on PC running server

Configure Port Forwarding 2302~2305 both UDP & TCP. You should then be pingeable, with no 2500ms ping reports either. As mentioned elsewhere, NAT is done in your router, any NAT related issues is and will be in the router being used.

...Syn...

I have 2302-2305 forwarded from a long time ago, which are STILL forwarded.

Even with that, disabling my Router Firewall (Windows Firewall is always disabled, never liked it) people still couldn't connect to my servers.

If it was a problem on my behalf, they would also have been denied access to my web server, which they could access perfectly.

please update to beta 1.62.95389 or newer

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137812-ARMA-2-OA-beta-build-95389-(1-62-MP-build)

it should resolve most of NAT issues

Thank you D, no issues so far with any of the new beta's.

dump traffic and analyze it.

something like Wireshark woul b enough 4 start.

its always better to KNOW instead of keeping guessing, just like how profilers and debuggers made for binaries/appz/libs and similary-essential diagnosis tools in medicine, math, security, management :)

basically if can be ANY router between you server and you router.

also aside opening ports/virtual servers/port triggering/DMZ ensure you firewall is NAT-friendly, ie NAT-essential challenges/datagramms can pass by/thru.

then start shoting down mods, starting from ACE and ACRE.