The server uses a different .exe file (arma2oaserver.exe) which doesn't require Steam to be running to launch it... so no need for a 2nd copy unless you also want to run a headless client.

OK thanks guys. Your help is appreciated.

Good evening folks,

I have been following several different tutorials on setting up a dedicated server for Arma 3 (just a vanilla install for now), Christmas gift for my son. I am using a dedicated machine with Windows 2008 server installed, quad core processor and 8 Gig of RAM to run the server. I have been able to have a different computer on the same subnet connect via LAN, but have been unable to get the client side to see the server on the Steam Server List. When I start the server it shows a host created, battle server initialized, host id created and it shows game port 2302, and steam query port 2303. All relevant ports have been opened in the router firewall, and the OS firewall has been terminated for testing purposes, even tried running the computer in the DMZ with no luck. I am sure it is something simple I have missed and am hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction.

Illmay

Hello! Let me start by saying thanks for the help in advance, this is my last resort as I have been trying to figure this out myself all day. So I have a Virtual Machine and I am trying to run an arma 2 island life server. I have the mods and a mission to run. I have set up configs and all but the second someone joins the dedicated server starts spamming "West Bay Island Life has been read from the bank" which is my mission i want to run. It is then stuck at wait for host for whoever joins. If anyone knows of this issue please help!

Hello! Let me start by saying thanks for the help in advance, this is my last resort as I have been trying to figure this out myself all day. So I have a Virtual Machine and I am trying to run an arma 2 island life server. I have the mods and a mission to run. I have set up configs and all but the second someone joins the dedicated server starts spamming "West Bay Island Life has been read from the bank" which is my mission i want to run. It is then stuck at wait for host for whoever joins. If anyone knows of this issue please help!

Copy the addons folder from the Arma 2 folder to the OA folder where the dedicated server files are.

HI,

i have another stupid questions. I just Ordered server on Vilayer. they instaled it, i started to set it up, but i might do something wrong, because i cant find the server in my browser, and i cant connect to it even by the "remote" button in arma. What am i  doing wrong?

It should be a  Arma 2 combined operations, server with ACE JSRS SHACTAC TFAR, my own mod with no signature(key) because i dont know how to key a mod, AND ACR DLC or ACR LITE

Here is my startup parameters: 

-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@jsrs;@jsrs_ace;@jsrs_acr;@st_bunnyhop;@st_interact;@st_map_autobrightness;@stmovement;@tfar_co_a2 -name=DefaultServer -profiles=DefaultServer -config=DefaultServer\server.cfg -cfg=DefaultServer\basic.cfg -cpuCount=32 -exThreads=0 -ip=37.59.90.82 -port=2402

Here is the server.cfg

/ GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "Black Lion ACE/TFAR Private Server";			        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";						// Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "--------------";					// Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com";		// For Arma2: Operation Arrowhead
logFile = "server_console.log";				// Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
	"", 
        "",  
	"Two empty lines above for increasing interval",
	"Vítejte, Hrajte tak, aby jste nekazili hru ostatním! ",
	"", 
        "",  
	"Admin je ras, Banuje bez varování !",
	"http://www.example.com",
	"One more empty line below for increasing interval",
	""
};
motdInterval = 5;					// Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};					// Outdated.
maxPlayers = 32;					// Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1;					// Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 2;					// Verifies .pbos against .bisign files. Valid values 0 (disabled), 1 (prefer v2 sigs but accept v1 too) and 2 (only v2 sigs are allowed). 
equalModRequired = 0;					// Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.
//requiredBuild = 12345					// Require clients joining to have at least build 12345 of game, preventing obsolete clients to connect

// STEAM SETTINGS
steamPort = 0;
steamQueryPort = 2403;

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;					// Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 0.33;					// 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 1;						// If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 0;					// since 1.62.95417 supports range 1-20 //since 1.63.x will supports range 1-30 //8kHz is 0-10, 16kHz is 11-20, 32kHz is 21-30
persistent = 1;						// If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.
timeStampFormat = "short";				// Set the timestamp format used on each report line in server-side RPT file. Possible values are "none" (default),"short","full".
BattlEye = 1;                                           // Server to use BattlEye system

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";					//
onUserDisconnected = "";				//
doubleIdDetected = "";					//
//regularCheck = "{}";                                  //  Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. Causes heavy I/O, uncomment to disable feature - READ WARNING ABOVE - makes cheating possible!

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// unsigned data detected
onHackedData = 	"kick (_this select 0)";		// tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = "";					// data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

// MISSIONS CYCLE (This is a sample mission template, to understand this further please goto http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg)
class Missions
{

class mission1 // name for the mission, can be anything
	{
		template = mission1.chernarus;
		 difficulty = "regular";
	};

class mission2
	{
		template = mission2.chernarus;
		 difficulty = "regular";
	};

class mission3
	{
		template = mission3.chernarus;
		 difficulty = "regular";
	};

};

RPT:

=====================================================================
== D:\TCAFiles\Users\MiroslavK\54273\arma2oaserver.exe
== ARMA2OASERVER.exe  -name=DefaultServer -config=DefaultServer\server.cfg -cfg=DefaultServer\basic.cfg -profiles=DefaultServer -cpuCount=32 -exThreads=0 -ip=37.59.90.82 -port=2402 
Exe timestamp: 2015/12/29 07:03:12
Current time:  2015/12/29 07:03:36

Version 1.63.131129
 7:03:36 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2402, Steam Query Port: 2403
 7:03:38 Connected to Steam servers

== ARMA2OASERVER.exe  -name=DefaultServer -config=DefaultServer\server.cfg -cfg=DefaultServer\basic.cfg -profiles=DefaultServer -cpuCount=32 -exThreads=0 -ip=37.59.90.82 -port=2402 
Current time:  2015/12/29 09:10:55

Version 1.63.131129
 9:10:55 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2402, Steam Query Port: 2403
 9:10:56 Connected to Steam servers

Current time:  2015/12/29 09:12:42

Version 1.63.131129
 9:12:42 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2402, Steam Query Port: 2403
 9:12:44 Connected to Steam servers

Current time:  2015/12/29 09:13:37

Version 1.63.131129
 9:13:37 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2402, Steam Query Port: 2403
 9:13:38 Connected to Steam servers

Current time:  2015/12/29 09:14:31

Version 1.63.131129
 9:14:31 Initializing Steam server - Game Port: 2402, Steam Query Port: 2403
 9:14:32 Connected to Steam servers

== ARMA2OASERVER.exe  -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@jsrs;@jsrs_ace;@jsrs_acr;@st_bunnyhop;@st_interact;@st_map_autobrightness;@stmovement;@tfar_co_a2 -name=DefaultServer -profiles=DefaultServer -config=DefaultServer\server.cfg -cfg=DefaultServer\basic.cfg -cpuCount=32 -exThreads=0 -ip=37.59.90.82 -port=2402 
Current time:  2015/12/29 17:30:11

Version 1.63.131129
Unsupported language English in stringtable
Unsupported language English in stringtable
ErrorMessage: Include file x\cba\addons\main\script_macros_common.hpp not found.

OK i made the server work. now i only need to make it play some mission on start., and make my mod work on the server.

Another Question, where on earth can i set maximum ping for my server, I have a friend who gets constantly kicked from my server for too high ping.

^ if you are running Battleye you can set the max ping in the BE config file

• Like 1

^ if you are running Battleye you can set the max ping in the BE config file

I didnt find that option there. Ill try to find it up.

I didnt find that option there. Ill try to find it up.

There is no option really.. the BE config file is just a text file in your server's \Battleye folder... add this to it (you don't need the RCON line if you don't use remote administration)

RConPassword *****
MaxPing 350

Players with a ping > 350 will get a BE message saying they've been kicked for high ping

• Like 1

Hmm didnt work 

i set it to MaxPing 1000

But my friend got kicked with message ping to high with ping 640

Try deleting the existing .cfg file in the \Battleye folder and create a new file called (I think) beserver.cfg - add the max ping value there and restart the server.

• Like 1

Thank you, ill try.

Edit: i just connected to the controll panel, and the file is allready called BEserver.cfg and i have "MaxPing 1000" in it. the friend still gets kicked with ping below 700.

Hmm...sorry i'm not sure what to do at this point.  Try deleting and re-creating the file through your Control Panel, but if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas  :unsure:

• Like 1

Yeah mee too. 

OK, problem solved. There is option in the control panel interface where you can set max ping. Unwisely it is represented by icon of two keys, so you wouldnt expect it to be for setting ping.

• Like 1