Indeed. I wonder why we have a forum for that game here when no officials show up and answer questions from their (possible) customers.

Not sure though if BI will comment on that as they are only the licensor and probably won't talk about business deals made.

Not sure though if BI will comment on that as they are only the licensor and probably won't talk about business deals made.

Might be to sensitive doh like you said, and I bet they will read this forum to so if they would feel like to answer on this situation they might of don it already no?

All the time, but this isn't a BI game so I doubt they would weigh in on this issue. If you want answer, I suggest you visit the IF official forums.

@All

If you're going to voice your criticisms of this situation, I would really appreciate it if you would read and understand the statement by the IF mods.

Not to single anyone out, comments like this:

What? Were they possessed and not self-aware when they made the decision to restrict? Of course they knew, unless they were stoned until release. Can you disprove my assertion?

are contrary to information in the official statement, and are not verifiable. This is not a rumour mill.

While I do agree that if you're putting yourself out in public, in all fairness you are open to public criticism. Vicious rumours or unfounded attacks are out of the scope of civilized discussion, however. So, if you're going to disagree with the official statement posted before in this thread, I would ask that you have actual factual evidence to support your claims or else you may be subject to spamming, or trolling infractions.

Have BIS Dev answered any questions in Armaii forum?

Plenty.

KBourne, it is a personal issue though unfortunately since it affects different people in different ways. For a larger team doing a large mod, the restrictions are workable, but for a single modder who probably wont release anything, the hoops are prohibitive. A blanket solution wouldn't work - pleasing all parties is impossible. There seems to be quite a mess here, not just within the community but for the dev team too. There needs to be some light shed on the issue and further transparency IMO.

I'll wait as long as I need to though.

@Max, the statement isn't perfect. It says that the issues were "recent". How recent? That information was posted 1 week after release. That is still ambiguous. Not to single anyone out...LOL. Thanks for that. I thought I was clear when I said that anything posted is speculation and not fact. When there is no solid evidence of either side, the result is still up in the air. Once again, it comes down to a lack of clear communication. :(

Edited by Hellfire257

Hellfire257

In case I wasn't clear...

Not to single anyone out...LOL. Thanks for that.

I purposefully didn't leave a link back so I didnt' single anyone out. If you have a problem with people quoting your text I suggest you stop participating in forums.

I thought I was clear when I said that anything posted is speculation and not fact.

And I hope I was clear enough when I said that the speculation and rumour crap stops now.

My in thread moderation actions do not require any response. If you think this action was made in error, feel free to contact me via PM, or Placebo.

§18) No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter. You may also ask your questions in the "Ask a mod" thread; however that thread is not to be used to attack/rant against specific moderators or about specific rules but more for questions/answers.

Indeed. I wonder why we have a forum for that game here when no officials show up and answer questions from their (possible) customers.

Agree.

Whether the "deal" is sensitive or otherwise, think BIS have stuck a gun to the head of their future RV Engine external sales and pulled the trigger.

I regret buying Iron Front, but the IF team aren't really responsible for that it now seems. Just my customer demographic.

Gnat;2170211']

I regret buying Iron Front' date=' but the IF team aren't really responsible for that it now seems. Just my customer demographic.[/quote']

Same here.

but the IF team aren't really responsible for that it now seems
Im not sure how misunderstanding an agreement and failing to inform the public is a failure of BI instead of IF?

But I guess one needs to direct his frustrations at least some direction :P

I think all in all wasn't a bad decision per-se, IF is not a BIS game after-all, and like with A2 community content being abused in VBS, that's now pretty much prevented, amongst other issues like BI DLC's / addons, I guess.

IMO time will tell - perhaps agreements are loosened at some point, or the situation improves in other ways.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Didn't you know? Forums are generally everywhere Customers 4 Customers. Official staff other than Moderators are hardly ever around in any forum. With BI Forums maybe being one of the exceptions.

I'm sure IF team is a lot smaller than BI and i'm also sure they have a lot more pressing matters to attend to (like fixing bugs and approving mods ;)) than spending their time on forums.

Now, what do we have? A game with very little content, without the option to have it moded, unless the modders goes through a painfull and complex prosess to have their stuff released. I've been a BI costumer for years, and would never, ever expect them to do this to such a large portion of their own community. It's absolutely obvious that most costumers of IF, or at least a very large portion is part of the arma community as well. I did never in my wildest dreams think that Bohemia would do such a thing to us, and I am really thinking about NOT BUYING ARMA III due to this.

You are grossly inflating this entire issue IMO. Describing the (so far unknown) process as "painfull and complex" seems to me to be unnecessarily speculative. And, I will guarantee you WILL buy ArmA3 :)

I think the moaning & bitching is a little out of hand now - as is the needless speculations on the intentions of the developers. ("Unable to prove me wrong" is not a valid excuse to perpetuate these imaginings either.) We know the situation now, OK there's a couple of hoops, but it's not outright impossible.

What I would now like to know is: how do I test my addons in IF? Is there some sort of local addon testing I can do without sending my completely untested addon off for evaluation?

Also, I need a list of ingame tree P3D filenames :)

Edited by DMarkwick

What I would now like to know is: how do I test my addons in IF? Is there some sort of local addon testing I can do without sending my completely untested addon off for evaluation?

This is what is making me angry, they haven't said anything on the subject of us testing out addons, so how are we supposed to submit them if we haven't been able to assure that they work as intended or not?

Also why can't we make private addons for our own communities. There might be re-balancing that we want to do for ourselves and not have to get it "approved".

You are grossly inflating this entire issue IMO. Describing the (so far unknown) process as "painfull and complex" seems to me to be unnecessarily speculative. And, I will guarantee you WILL buy ArmA3 :)

I think the moaning & bitching is a little out of hand now - as is the needless speculations on the intentions of the developers. ("Unable to prove me wrong" is not a valid excuse to perpetuate these imaginings either.) We know the situation now, OK there's a couple of hoops, but it's not outright impossible.

Also, I need a list of ingame tree P3D filenames :)

I will most certainly not buy the announced ARMA II DLC at least. I've bought the two we got so far, simply becouse I like BI. I am not so sure anymore. But it is a problem, especially since the devs choose mods for us. The player don't get the oportunity to tailor the game to his needs anymore, like we can with ARMA II. Mods like the ingame mission creators where made out of need, tailored to the communities that made them. Not all wants them, so now we get a one fits all solution with very little flexibility. Yes, I think that is a cumbersome prosess, and it's going the wrong way. What makes ARMA so great, is essentially the mods. I would have stopped playing years ago if it wasn't for the mods.

The way I see it BIS are not responsible for this clown circus, the publishers and devs of IF: 1944 are - bad business decisions, coupled with greed results in a dead game ONE month post release.

Live & learn, cut your losses and stick to single player Role-playing Games, DeepSilver.

P.S. W0lle is the most sane authority on the matter in this thread and you better listen to him.

AFAIK they said you can test the addons in A2, and then submit them to IF for testing/authorization etc.
Also, I need a list of ingame tree P3D filenames
I suppose you could find some info in the Community Modding Bible repo: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository

Also I suspect you can open the IF files with Mikero's pboDLL: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

but you'll have to try :)

They have said that you are able to use the bis tools and test your addons directly in to ArmA2, when you are ready to launch the addon you only need to get in contact with them, Iron front will then check your work and sign the addons and release it trough patching process.

Also, I need a list of ingame tree P3D filenames

contacting the Iron front development is also an option, they might give you more detailed information then already given in the link by Sickboy or just use the info he already gave :-)

kind regards

I will most certainly not buy the announced ARMA II DLC at least. I've bought the two we got so far, simply becouse I like BI. I am not so sure anymore. But it is a problem, especially since the devs choose mods for us. The player don't get the oportunity to tailor the game to his needs anymore, like we can with ARMA II. Mods like the ingame mission creators where made out of need, tailored to the communities that made them. Not all wants them, so now we get a one fits all solution with very little flexibility. Yes, I think that is a cumbersome prosess, and it's going the wrong way. What makes ARMA so great, is essentially the mods. I would have stopped playing years ago if it wasn't for the mods.

Well you seem to be convinced that it's a take-all or leave-all solution, rather than a developer-controlled optional list you can choose from (DLC). I haven't seen info on this myself.

AFAIK they said you can test the addons in A2, and then submit them to IF for testing/authorization etc.

Is there any scope for CBA to be allowed for IF use? Even on a no-support basis? As CBA seems to work well in ArmA2 I guess it should slot right into IF use with no problems?

I suppose you could find some info in the Community Modding Bible repo: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository

Also I suspect you can open the IF files with Mikero's pboDLL: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

but you'll have to try :)

Well fingers crossed they use the same trees with the same filenames, but I'd suspect they've got their own tree assets maybe :) pity I can't just try it & see, would take about a minute :D

They have said that you are able to use the bis tools and test your addons directly in to ArmA2, when you are ready to launch the addon you only need to get in contact with them, Iron front will then check your work and sign the addons and release it trough patching process.

Well the thing is as it's an effects addon that relies on tweaking to act right, I'd hope that the IF maps have roughly the same tree density to allow for appropriate fire propagation, but I cannot predict whether the fire will over-propagate or under-propagate. However it seems to act OK with other ArmA2 third-party maps so hopefully this won't be a problem.

contacting the Iron front development is also an option, they might give you more detailed information then already given in the link by Sickboy or just use the info he already gave :-)

kind regards

Yeah I might do that :)

Well the thing is as it's an effects addon that relies on tweaking to act right, I'd hope that the IF maps have roughly the same tree density to allow for appropriate fire propagation, but I cannot predict whether the fire will over-propagate or under-propagate. However it seems to act OK with other ArmA2 third-party maps so hopefully this won't be a problem.

Your planning to convert your fire and smoke addon? Personally I am not a modder so I have no id what tree density is but I am definitely curious how this will turn out for Iron front .. love that mod btw :-)

kind regards

Your planning to convert your fire and smoke addon? Personally I am not a modder I am definitely curious how this will turn out for Iron front .. love that mod btw :-)

kind regards

Well, I know I'm biased & all, but I think the F&S addon is rather a shoe-in for IF :) however, in its ArmA2 version it does rely on CBA for multiplayer transmission and extended event handling.

Well, I know I'm biased & all, but I think the F&S addon is rather a shoe-in for IF :) however, in its ArmA2 version it does rely on CBA for multiplayer transmission and extended event handling.

Oh right i think i get it, so you might need to wait till you have worth of CBA to be converted over or not before you decide?

kind regards

Oh right i think i get it, so you might need to wait till you have worth of CBA to be converted over or not before you decide?

kind regards

Either that, or get permission to replicate those parts of CBA that I need :)

Either that, or get permission to replicate those parts of CBA that I need :)

Ah O.k. well I hope you will get either permission or CBA gets converted then, I think this will be a definitely + not only for the effects in IF but also when modders get some movement in addons towards Iron Front a little this all might fade down a bit :)

kind regards

What does it mean of hiddenselectiontextures in the config file? Is it also for hidden choice?

...What I would now like to know is: how do I test my addons in IF? Is there some sort of local addon testing I can do without sending my completely untested addon off for evaluation...

you need to test your addon unpacked. in terms of workflow, it needs to be done in A2.

I dont think your being fair at all , not you alone of coures.

BIS will have thought of all scenarios too dont forget , its not all about the makers of this Franchise , Imagine already there would be DAYZ mod in this engine , BIS will soon hopefully make a good bit of revenue from it on there Engine and tthat will Pass too A3 development hopefully . This is just one Reason i imagine for such stringent Licences and also TOH rearmed content etc .

You really need to look at the Bigger Financial and Buisness implications before thinking like Hobbyist modder who cannot use BIS engine free and easy , because at moment some Posts here seem absolutely like Child living in a world without consequence who must have his candy , his way .

I'm sorry but the question concerning modding and licenses didn't fell out of the sky (which is the exactly the impression I get from the released statements) and should have been solved months prior release.

If a company pays no attention to legal background it shouldn't be in business.

Gnat;2169569']Out of line mate.

I purchase the game 90% on the basis I could add content as a hobbyist. I was mislead by the developers. Sure' date=' they didn't specifically say that there'd be hoops to jump through, but why would I have suspected that when the BIS tools I already have !!!

And as for growing some balls, back at ya.

I ENJOY being a hobbyist, with my own subject matter, my own schedule, not someone elses.

And I have a RL job that pays better than a risky game developer endeavour. I also have a RL mortgage to keep in check.

ArmA2AO hasn't crashed on me in MANY months, even with the select beta.

This thing crashes every time I turn my head!

Bloody annoying all over.

BS[/quote']

Amen (as much as my atheism allows), although I didn't buy the game to mod it but enjoy the potential now never to be created mods.

Edited by Icewindo

you need to test your addon unpacked. in terms of workflow, it needs to be done in A2.

That's such bullshit. Isn't this supposed to be a standalone RV engine product? Why the flying fuck do I need another game to test my addons in?

If we cannot mod this game without using another product that is supposed to have nothing to do with this game, then IF should have been a DLC or mod of ArmA 2.