So what you're saying is that because people liked their mod, they are "feeding" the IF developers somehow, as if the community is responsible for their creation of a good mod... and not only that, but the IF developers now owe the community a moddable game, and failure to come up with that moddable game is an assault on the community. Am I reading your statement correctly?

Max, I'm just feeling that it's weird coming from a group of former modders that they would disable modding themselves...

It just kind of seems wrong.

Wrong? Like ethically wrong?

No.

Its up to the developers to decide if their game is moddable or not, but a not moddable game have a shorter life span.

Well that's a little more of a balanced view than all of this talk of biting, insult, and hypocrisy.

Anyway, i understood that modding isn't supported yet, but that it's in their plan to support it in the near future, and eventually to integrate some of the modders' creations, if suitable, in their game/next release.

I think the assumption made by most people is that, as the game was built on the RV engine, modding would be supported. I think it's a fair assumption to make even though no-one explicitly said that it would be supported.

If they had said in the beginning;

"This game will not support user based mods or addons" or "This game will support user based mods or addons approved by the development team"

Then I suspect that less people would have jumped in and bought it straight away.

Are they waiting to get the platform more stable before opening it up to mods? Are the publishers worried about future DLC sales? Are they just trying to protect the style and the era of the game? Who knows!

In the end of course, it is up to them (or more likely the publisher) I guess, but surely they must be aware of the expectation even if they did not make any promises?

Either way it would be good to get a clear statement of intent from them!

In the end of course, it is up to them (or more likely the publisher) I guess, but surely they must be aware of the expectation even if they did not make any promises?

Either way it would be good to get a clear statement of intent from them!

Jedra has a point here! I would be lying if I said that I don't care about the modding possibilities in this game because I do. however it is on them to decide to open it or not, and if they don't well :( not that I am going to turn my back or something but it would be a shame because I like to try out stuff made by other community members, especially if it contributes to my video editing purposes and mission editing plans.

I hope indeed that they will clarify this sooner then later, to be honest you can say that the community can't demand anything for modding but on the other side if you have a healthy thought about this, it will determine the survivability for the game in the future whether they like it or not ...

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

After some laddish banter with Mlacix on their forum. I sent a formal request for the lib bisign along with the files for my SS retexture of the German Scouts. I got this swift, polite and informative message in reply.

Hey Stagler

Good to hear this, good job. We plan an announcement about this situation, and about how the modding will work in IF at the weekend. There you will get answer for all of your question, and after it we will open the addon making forum sections. Please after this announcement send me a message again about what you think with this system and in the future plans.

Best wishes, Mlacix.

After some laddish banter with Mlacix on their forum. I sent a formal request for the lib bisign along with the files for my SS retexture of the German Scouts. I got this swift, polite and informative message in reply.

Nice to hear your planning to texture SS German scouts, also nice to hear they are not shutting the door down.. so it seems :)

That's awesome! I have high hopes for this dev team, so I didn't think they would let us down.

It just wouldn't make sense for them to not allow modding. Eager to hear what they have to say, and maybe they will explain why they disabled it for now.

Like I thought and said previously, it is all about the license agreement which is not more then normal ... taken in account that the engine belongs to Bohemia interactive IF development needs to assure them that the content is legit .. however this might tighten modding down a bit, the door is not closed for those that are willing.

People need to adapt a little to the rules where IF development agreed upon with BIS, this might frighten some modders a bit but all in all I think this isn't a bad thing, like I see it the Devs of Iron fornt are willing to offer help the only thing needed are some licenses to get it don...

License it everyone happy

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

This basicly makes modding impossible, at least for me.

I use O2 to make my addons, and as this is not allowed then i am out of this.

But if they told us this directley i would not had wasted my money on this.

This basicly makes modding impossible, at least for me.

I use O2 to make my addons, and as this is not allowed then i am out of this.

But if they told us this directley i would not had wasted my money on this.

You need to read the post more carefully before you go catastrophizing.

The post suggests that you develop the addon using OA and its tools.

With an express and personal agreement from BIS...

Spot on, people need to read grrrr O-o :p Repro you can still use O2 but at this point they still looking what is possible and how they need to manage it,

What is not possible:

1: To use the BI tools suite or Arma sample models to create assets for Iron Front (unless the modder gets a personal license from Bohemia Interactive itself).

You only need a license of bis for free use of O2 to release Free addons for iron front you don't need nothing more. common can you guys read a bit before hustling in to conclusions? they are not shutting the door flat to your face, the only thing you need to do is contact bis and ask for a personal license. point....

Or something in that line :)

With an express and personal agreement from BIS...

Right and I don't see anything wrong with it, as it is a tool licensed under the bis AULA, there is no restriction as long if the modder keeps to the personal agreement He or She gets with bis ... its like with the video editing license we still can make video's yes? well then :)

See it from the POV from Iron front development versus Bohemia interactive and vica verca ...

Its the same for ArmA games,, modders do have an agreement with bis that they can release free user made addons for community purposes, read the Aula guys, the difference is Iron front Is second hand agreement while when modding directly for Arma is a first hand agreement with the engine developer. Heck they even give modders the opportunity to earn a few bucks extra if they can get in to agreement with Iron front development for who is willing to take a step further, maybe even a job offer who knows ....

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Yes maybe so...

But as it is now i have to get a licence from bis to even start at it.

And then even i have to get a key from If to even test it in the game, and then as most of addons maker to bis games know.

To have in game is only the start of it, you have to change it a lot of times to get all of the bugs out of it.

And if you need a key for every change then it would be an enourmus task to get it finished.

As it is for now you need a key signed by the If developers to even get it in game.

And if it stay like this the workload for any addon maker would be really big.

Yes maybe so...

But as it is now i have to get a licence from bis to even start at it.

yeah and what do you think you have now with bis for modding with ArmA? also a license, Bis agreed upon you to mod for Arma but not for Iron front because bis has a sales agreement for the use of their engine with deep silver AWAR not with you :) you only need to take A step extra to be able to mod in Iron front, send a mail and your don it cost NOTHING! nothing, ''except of a little time of your end' and a hell of a lot more time for bis to reply on all those mails they will get for such a license,

wait for the license and start modding plain and simple how hard can it be ??

as for the key you only need to send the content to them so they can test it and if it is legit they will sign the addon for release. You can use OA to test your addons or at least thats the general id and what I make out of it. Maybe they will come up with something different in the near future as they said in the post that they are looking in to it for what is possible maybe they can agree upon making tools like bis for modding and a key for testing who knows, technology doesn't stop with one program or tool ....

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Have you made for ex a tank into Arma2?

To make a tank into the Arma games there is really a lot of work to do.

At first the first lod wich take with texturing at least (for me) 2-3 weeks to do, then resolution lods another day.

Shadow lods and other ones to do another 1-3 days, cfg model.cfg and config.cpp + one day.

On top of this all the changes for the If models, and this is not a little work for what i have seen.

And then you got it in game, for to discover all the bugs you have to solve!!

On top of all of that you now have fo get a key for every change you make, as i think the developers will not have the time to make this for you.

Edited by repro

On top of all of that you now have fo get a key for every change you make, as i think the developers will not have the time to make this for you.

I never said modding is easy, I said that it isn't that hard to get the license, what the key concerns it might be a bit tricky but not impossible to get some sort of an understanding with the developers give it some time, they are not entirely sure whats possible if it comes to testing the addons..

The thing is I understand the disappointment at some point but on the other hand I hope you can see where they are coming from, such things need some time they are aware that there are quit a few members that like to mod and that it might be harder to meet everyones expectations. They are really trying to solve this issue and as I see it the door is still open they didn't say no so far ...

Great.. so now we have to jump through hoops to make a simple addon.

Thanks a lot.

We should not lose all hope.

If the developers makes it a little bit eaysier for moders like myself. maybe a private license to test addons ingame without the key part.

Then i see a future in this.

I believe the article was stating that you can already prototype Addons in OA. You would only need such a license for adding features specific to IF.

We should not lose all hope.

If the developers makes it a little bit eaysier for moders like myself. maybe a private license to test addons ingame without the key part.

Then i see a future in this.

Well don't lose hope but don't over eager it aether just wait it off a bit, they had a miss understanding with bis about the agreement and modding and using the bis tool suits. Then taken in account they are new on the field they try to bring something to the public and they already had a rough weak in a whole ...

I don't think it is easy for them aether, and you can't put this on bis because they have an agreement with IF development. Thats business, that on the side its not said that IF development cant come up with some sort of a solution, but you also need to be aware that it might be as it is and that you need to accept it.

kind regards

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

I believe the article was stating that you can already prototype Addons in OA. You would only need such a license for adding features specific to IF.

true but take in account that not everyone owns that game :) they might have new comers on the plate that want to mod also .. The only way for them to mod in IF then is trough purchasing ArmA2 OA, not that it is tremendously expensive but still, it would be nice if they can release some sort of a test key for developers, which need to ask for it of course with a license agreement where they abide to only use it for testing purposes or something in that line.

kind regards

Edited by KBourne