Sign in to follow this  
GRS

The AI in general.

I tested the Advanced AI Module that came with IF the other night (just place it on the map together with the Funtions Module). My impression is that Iron Front AI do behave a bit different, compared to their counterparts in ArmA2. They seem to spread out more often, and chose different approaches towards the same target. This happens more often when they are commanded by another AI, but also when I lead them. They also seem to follow me around if I'm a member of their group, even if I'm not leading them. I have a feeling that the AI in IF is more independent than in ArmA2 - for better or for worse. This is'nt scientific facts. It's my impressions after two nights of gaming/AI-testing. Anyone with similar experiences?

I didn't use it yet however when playing the campaign you might be right, like described in the above post of mine it might be that a player needs to control the AI more often when leading, when I was not leading and thus being led then they scatter more i guess. maybe they want to simulate the WWII warfare by this a little more?

in modern combat unit movement is more linear? or how do I say it

Well, of course, with human commander even old OFP AI would have acceptable survivability. Unfortunately, it's AI leading assault in campaign. Still, I don't remember ArmA2 commanders spreading their men so thin, there's like only 2-3 every street. Might just be AI unable to cope with enemies all over the place, since most of defence are lone gunners in fixed positions every few buildings, when first actual group of enemies is placed in marketplace.

are you talking about the German mission where you need to take the fortress down on that town? I think I had some sort of the same problems at start but I believe I was in command, I solved it by ordering my units on the map from corner to corner as there are triggers on the outskirts of that fortress that will kill the player and friendly AI instantly, and if you put them on follow me they tend to go around which will kill them ... personally I am not entirely fund of that mission because of those triggers it kills the freedom of the movement of the engine a bit. But thats more of a mission design flaw, I am not sure if we are talking about the same mission here

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Well in those days the army was pretty suicidal especially on Soviet side, they even engaged with no weapons so it is in fact more realistic :p

* Sarcasm off ...

The AI is not the problem it is or the mission design when the player is being led or the leader that is doing it wrong while ordering hes man under him, the behavior of your AI will be deter-main on the way points order and the behavior set by the mission designer or it might be the behavior set by the player when you are the leader .... I already finished the German campaign and have of the Russian campaign and it went fine so far except of some little bugs when the trigger dint activate directly so i needed to fiddle with the spot a bit to get it triggered, this killed me twice during those missions because It took me a moment to trigger it ...

If you for example set them on danger keep low then they will more cautious in there approach this will be more increased when you put them on stealth , a other way to go is when you lead to use the map more often and set them in groups and send them to their destination. I do this in waves as I approach like in real combat one group covers the other while one moves up ...

The bots are the same as in ArmA2 I am making a huge trench mission and my units are not mindlessly engaging the trenches as long if I lead them correctly in the engagement .. the mission is to take out the artillery guns, the player needs to try to take the guns out with minimum losses .... The only thing i need to pay attention to is keeping a good eye on the battle situation and send my guys where they are needed. That way they can suppress the enemy's trenches before i order the second group to move forward. If you just lead on and put them on follow they will exactly do what they are needed to do engage and engage, they do the same thing in arma2 ..

I have no problems with the AI what so ever so far ...

Kind regards

+1

Nice and useful sum up!

are you talking about the German mission where you need to take the fortress down on that town?

No, first combat mission in Soviet campaign, where you're supposed to clear town in time limit.