Sign in to follow this  
GRS

The AI in general.

Is anyone else having AI issues? I'm trying to work on missions in the editor and the attacking Russians barely inch their way forward and the defending German's let off a few shots and then sit there not doing a thing. The Russians are attacking through a field and the Germans are defending from a hill and there is no way they just cannot see each other. They even call it out but nobody does anything. The Russians just lay down and maybe run forward a few feet at best and the Germans sit there and watch them. Distance is 200 or so meters, I've never waited long enough to test it when they get closer, it takes the Russians too long to get there.

And everyone is maxed out skill wise.

They are in front of the edge of the grass. It's as if nobody wants to use the range those rifles are capable of. The AI just seems reluctant in general compared to ArmA2. Not even reluctant, just brain dead. They fire a few rounds, so I know they can see them, then nothing. This is so frustrating. Everything LOOKS amazing, these guys nailed the setting and feel, but nothing seems to work. I remember the guy in the German mission talking about the 500m capabilities of the K98, but nobody will fire even at under 250m.

An update: I changed the Germans to kneeling. They still do not fire. Even the Russians barely fire but they are real quick to drop down and lay there for ages.

Edited by GRS

GRS from another thread Panzer Baron said this

There are 5 important modules in the Iron Front, among the classical arma ones.

- Advanced AI. Makes the AI more aggressive and effective without making them deadly sharp-shooters.

- FVD. When you sit in aircraft, you get larger view distance then in the standard mission settings. Must have for any aircraft mission.

- Tank riders. Enable the soldiers who are on tanks, to act more realistic (dismount when in combat, dismount when the turret of the tank turns around)

- Using mines and tripwires. That module is must to make all the mines and explosives to work, in couple with the Functions module.

- Advanced artillery features. Needed for the artillery towing and pushing. Needed to be in couple with the Functions module.

Maybe you need the Advanced AI one for them to deal with the long grass. You may also need the functions one for it to work.

Check out the topic on Pushable / Towed guns

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but no difference. They finally shot at me when I was within 150 meters. I walked casually through the open field to get that far. This is very disappointing.

Below is an image of the situation. There are four guys like the one on the left side. All of them will occasionally fire a shot or two and then sit there, usually not even firing and acting casual. The screenshot shows the rare sight of the guy actually raising his weapon, but he never once fired it. I waited three minutes; nothing. Also the Russians only advanced about twenty feet in those three minutes. It's hard to see because the image is a BMP and scaled down but the Russians are right next to the cursor, 324 meters away. I'm not a "trained" marksman, but I can, and have, made that shot in real life (on targets, I'm not military) with solid consistency with both Mausers and Mosins.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/grs9790/ironfront2012-05-2700-20-34-77.jpg

I'm hoping for a patch, or even someone to show me up if I'm doing something wrong, because I really want to play this.

Edited by GRS

It would be awesome if Robalo could make a version of ARS_AI mod for IFL44.. I need something to toughen up this AI!

I just set something up and I am definitely getting contact at range (with or without Advanced AI). Here is my very simple mission.

Jedra, I'll try it out when I get back from work, thanks. I don't know whats up with my mission. Perhaps the local terrain is bugged somehow? I doubt it though, even the guys that are not on that terrain are acting similarly.They are on the edge of the west/northwest side of the small valley that is just south of New Osowka and just east of Old Osowka with the Russians attacking from the southeast on the Staszow map.

Edited by GRS

Jedra, I'll try it out when I get back from work, thanks. I don't know whats up with my mission. Perhaps the local terrain is bugged somehow?

Could be - post up your mission somewhere and we can raise an official ticket and use the mission as evidence. There could well be something in the map config that causes issues - if so, it will be fixable.

It would be awesome if Robalo could make a version of ARS_AI mod for IFL44.. I need something to toughen up this AI!

I did download ZeusAI and could start IFL44 with it aswell playing the campaign a little, but Iam still not sure if it works 100%. Later I will try SLX and ARS_AI.

Anyone can test this please aswell ?

I did download ZeusAI and could start IFL44 with it aswell playing the campaign a little, but Iam still not sure if it works 100%.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

I did download ZeusAI and could start IFL44 with it aswell playing the campaign a little, but Iam still not sure if it works 100%. Later I will try SLX and ARS_AI.

ASR_AI requires CBA (it uses pre and post init event handlers) - until CBA is dragged across to Iron Front, then you won't get this working. CBA may of course work as-is but I doubt it as it needed changing for Take On Helicopters. As they say though, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!".

Well I did run CBA together with ZeusAI. The game at least starts and you can play without problems, except if you want to play a saved game which was played without the mod. Thats how it works on Arma 2 aswell, but I cant say anything about the functionality after only short tests.

Edited by oxmox

Ok, I'll try to post what I have in my mission when I get home from work. It's not much since I've spent most of the time testing ways to get them to respond better.

For me, The AI always stand up, and rarely Prone or Crouch in combat.. It is really frusterating

I never really share files online outside of email. What do you all recommend for a host?

A lot of people seem to use dropbox for file sharing.

I use either Dropbox or Google Drive. If you have Gmail, then you also have access to Google Drive.

For me, The AI always stand up, and rarely Prone or Crouch in combat.. It is really frusterating

If they aren't on the move, they will definitely spend most of their time prone. Install some beta patches to get them to crouch on the move.

If they aren't on the move, they will definitely spend most of their time prone. Install some beta patches to get them to crouch on the move.

The 1.01a beta patch?

Well I did run CBA together with ZeusAI. The game at least starts and you can play without problems, except if you want to play a saved game which was played without the mod. Thats how it works on Arma 2 aswell, but I cant say anything about the functionality after only short tests.

You cannot currently load mods into Iron Front without a special key from the developers, they are supposedly posting an announcement sometime soon about the state of modding in IF. So you never actually loaded CBA/Zeus/ASR/Anything. You'll have to wait for modding to be enabled.

hello there

Looter is right, you can load the game with mods selected/in commandline etc but they simply wont be recognised whilst the game will continue to work and not crash* or give errors.

Rgds

LoK

*any more than usual :)

If you guys want to see something new and cool with the AI in Iron Front, try use the new Tank Riders module. Just place it on the map and sync it up like you would any other module, and create a group consisting of one tank and several men (4 men if its a Panzer 4, 6 for most other tanks except the StuG for some reason...) and give it a simple move waypoint.

Now watch how the men board the tank and sit on the back and ride off into the distance. The men will dismount off the tank automatically if they enter combat, or if the turret swings towards them. They should reboard again once its safe.

Yeah, AI mod is must. Maybe I haven't play vanillla ArmA2 a year or so, but I don't remember it beign THAT bad. Tried SP campaign. In open they magage somehow, but when in town, they spread mindlessly in entire town doing lone runs and dying in result. Commanding AI, just like in ArmA1, is clearly suffering from Leeroy Jenkins sydrom ( "Engage! Engage! Engage!"), sending troopers to death one by one. When in buildings AI seem to hear enemies through walls (or that's old Flashpoint close-range radar), and fire at them, which is cool, but once they do, they will ignore other hostiles, that appear in their field of view.

Although I dropped campaign not because of AI (I finished ArmA1 campaign, so I guess my tolerance level for Artificial Stupidity is rather high), but because game crashed 3 times in one mission, and this, combined with multi-save feature disabled (even on Recruit) was a little bit much for my patience.

when in town, they spread mindlessly in entire town doing lone runs and dying in result. Commanding AI, just like in ArmA1, is clearly suffering from Leeroy Jenkins sydrom ( "Engage! Engage! Engage!"), sending troopers to death one by one.

Well in those days the army was pretty suicidal especially on Soviet side, they even engaged with no weapons so it is in fact more realistic :p

* Sarcasm off ...

The AI is not the problem it is or the mission design when the player is being led or the leader that is doing it wrong while ordering hes man under him, the behavior of your AI will be deter-main on the way points order and the behavior set by the mission designer or it might be the behavior set by the player when you are the leader .... I already finished the German campaign and have of the Russian campaign and it went fine so far except of some little bugs when the trigger dint activate directly so i needed to fiddle with the spot a bit to get it triggered, this killed me twice during those missions because It took me a moment to trigger it ...

If you for example set them on danger keep low then they will more cautious in there approach this will be more increased when you put them on stealth , a other way to go is when you lead to use the map more often and set them in groups and send them to their destination. I do this in waves as I approach like in real combat one group covers the other while one moves up ...

The bots are the same as in ArmA2 I am making a huge trench mission and my units are not mindlessly engaging the trenches as long if I lead them correctly in the engagement .. the mission is to take out the artillery guns, the player needs to try to take the guns out with minimum losses .... The only thing i need to pay attention to is keeping a good eye on the battle situation and send my guys where they are needed. That way they can suppress the enemy's trenches before i order the second group to move forward. If you just lead on and put them on follow they will exactly do what they are needed to do engage and engage, they do the same thing in arma2 ..

I have no problems with the AI what so ever so far ...

Kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Well, of course, with human commander even old OFP AI would have acceptable survivability. Unfortunately, it's AI leading assault in campaign. Still, I don't remember ArmA2 commanders spreading their men so thin, there's like only 2-3 every street. Might just be AI unable to cope with enemies all over the place, since most of defence are lone gunners in fixed positions every few buildings, when first actual group of enemies is placed in marketplace.