Sign in to follow this  
css_matt

A PR player not sure what to expect.. (A3 online/controls)

Ok so, I come from BF2 PR, have played a fair amount of A2 but mostly roleplay, the smoothness, or lack of, (pre patch) but me off trying the serious side.

Arma3 looks absolutely stunning, Stratis is the best thing I have ever seen from a game, cant wait to play on it, really cant!

My concern is how Stratis will actually be used, I have seen posts on this forum with people saying, public servers are not good (from A2 experiences I guess)

This worry's me. I dont find fun playing against AI. My interest is in playing with a ton of other people, all planning, plotting and cooperating to be victorious.

Will A3 incorporate teamwork as much as PR, do master tacticians take up positions such as 'commander' in Pr and organised there teams.

A big gripe of mine, was vehicle controls in A2, most notably Helicopters. It felt really flimsy and there was no learning curve. Is this likely to change in A3? Will being a pilot be a sign of skill and earn others respect.

-----

I dont really know how A3 will pan out, but the thought of battling it out on Stratis against a load of other people, cant wait!

Also, will it support 64 players? Is it even possible that they could possibly try for 128?

Thank you for your time

Ok so, I come from BF2 PR, have played a fair amount of A2 but mostly roleplay, the smoothness, or lack of, (pre patch) but me off trying the serious side.

Arma3 looks absolutely stunning, Stratis is the best thing I have ever seen from a game, cant wait to play on it, really cant!

My concern is how Stratis will actually be used, I have seen posts on this forum with people saying, public servers are not good (from A2 experiences I guess)

This worry's me. I dont find fun playing against AI. My interest is in playing with a ton of other people, all planning, plotting and cooperating to be victorious.

Will A3 incorporate teamwork as much as PR, do master tacticians take up positions such as 'commander' in Pr and organised there teams.

A big gripe of mine, was vehicle controls in A2, most notably Helicopters. It felt really flimsy and there was no learning curve. Is this likely to change in A3? Will being a pilot be a sign of skill and earn others respect.

-----

I dont really know how A3 will pan out, but the thought of battling it out on Stratis against a load of other people, cant wait!

Also, will it support 64 players? Is it even possible that they could possibly try for 128?

Thank you for your time

Public servers in ArmA are really fun as well! It's all I ever play on anymore. I do not have time for clans or making sure I have the latest addons, so I simply play vanilla on public servers. People use their mics and use teamwork just like any clan would do.

Bohemia Interactive cannot really "incorporate" teamwork into a game. That would be forcing the player to do something they may not want to do. They are supposedly working on the PvP elements though.

ArmA 3 will feature the same helicopter flight model as present in their helicopter flight simulation, Take On Helicopters.

ArmA can support as many players as you can put into the game. The only limitation is the server's computing power.

BIS plans to revive PvP in ArmA 3, I believe.

In ArmA you get kicked from most servers if you don't use teamwork.

It depends on the gamemode, mostly, but nearly all gamemodes don't have commanders.

Any ArmA has rather good and easy helicopter controls and they are not clunky.

ArmA 2 can go up to 256 people, and with over 1000 AI. ArmA 3 is rumored to be more.

Agreed on vehicle controls... But what do you propose they do or what do you want to see as the final outcome?

ArmA 2 can go up to 256 people, and with over 1000 AI. ArmA 3 is rumored to be more.

Not without your very own powerstation and a Cray Supercomputer.

Ever tried A2: PR with 100 people?

When you can fill a server, is pure fun. After 1.60 is even better!

First 3 days of A2: PR were fun when we weren't getting strafed by the trans helo at our FOB. I still prefer BF2: PR personally, ArmA just feels weird when you try and shove PR into it.

Nobody knows about A3 online/controls for the most part. However if you ever took a look at the old SMK animations, the animator for that now works for BIS and you can see part of his work in the new "Report in: Lighting preview". Where they use the tactical pace, the animations will improve so going by that hopefully the general online feel will to.

If you remember to previous interviews, the helicopters in A3 handle similarly to TOH flight dynamics, therefore, realistic.

The vehicles are also seen to be much smoother due to Physx.

Mh, I would claim that most of the people saying that public servers are about teamwork asweel never played in a community or clan.

I've never experienced any kind of enhanced teamwork/realism on a public server, and I played on many around 1 1/2 years ago.

Yeah with all the TvT games going on at UO (among many many other servers) claims that PvP is dead in ArmA2 and needs to be "revived" are funny to say the least.

It's dead to the overall public. In the sense of being fun for your average person in a pub game. Since it's been designed overall for Co-op, some thing's just break PvP for some people & immersion.

It's not about Communities like UO or clans, it's about PvP in general. It needs improvements, while that looks great i'd like to be able to set up a small game and not feel like it's clunky/could be vastly improved.

Edited by SGTIce

It's dead to the overall public. In the sense of being fun for your average person in a pub game. Since it's been designed overall for Co-op, some thing's just break PvP for some people & immersion.

It's not about Communities like UO or clans, it's about PvP in general. It needs improvements, while that looks great i'd like to be able to set up a small game and not feel like it's clunky/could be vastly improved.

Quoted for truth.

Official.

PVP Missions/Gamemodes.

On.

Release.

You don't want to hypothesize what could've happened, if Benny hadn't taken up the vanilla Warfare mission under his wing - you'd be playing Domination now! ;)

P.S. Passworded servers and all private, off the radar communities are the minority here, and if you want to gauge success by those obscure TvT missions, which are not overly publicized, then you have already failed.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

How exactly was the game designed overall for co-op?

Publics don't play co-op either. There are no official co-op missions that anyone plays. VON isn't working properly. Can't communicate.

Co-op is played pretty much exclusively by clans and communities.

FYI Domination is not co-op.

By captivating the attention of a single team, the bots don't get bored or frustrated at their disadvantage.

Publics don't play co-op either. There are no official co-op missions...

Precisely because there are no co-op, PVP or any other kind of missions, the public doesn't play 'em. You may think it's easy to scavenge armaholic.com for missions, I will tell you 90% of the populace gives up at this stage.

ArmA needs its own iconic 'de_dust2', which incidentally has more dynamics and involvement, than any DM or CTF mission I had played here.

Publics don't play co-op either. There are no official co-op missions that anyone plays. VON isn't working properly. Can't communicate.

Co-op is played pretty much exclusively by clans and communities.

FYI Domination is not co-op.

How is domination, where there are human players vs AI, not co-op?

And have you ever heard of the Insurgency missions? I play this on a public server all the time, and it's very popular here. VON is working fine most of the time and many of us work together as teams.

I didnt know Arma could support 100 people, sounds fun. 128 is quality on bf2 PR.

Im still not sure what to expect, really, because alot of people seem to have different views here.

I just hope there are a couple of servers that lean towards a PR playing style, using a great deal of strategy to dominate, take control of/ destroy the caches, of Limnos. I know alot of people may find the intensity and realism of this style to OTT. To be honest, its the complete opposite from the CODs and BF3 but what would be awesome is an ongoing scenario if possible, that could take days to achieve.

From what I have heard, Limnos is massive, with over 50+ towns? Can you imagine a gamemode where nearly all of those towns were potentially in control of the enemies and a threat. Would take a fair while to clear out each town. Would be so fun though.

====

One thing I would also like to see, which is also probably to OTT in realism is co-ordinated flight missions. I dont mean a mode designed for it. I mean where a group of people plan there own air missions to help the fellow players who are on foot. Maybe a scouting mission or maybe a raid, but it would be insane of this kind of style could somehow make an appearance in some gamemode in Arma. While BF2: PR is fun, helicopters/planes have much less objective than ground units, they tend to just circle and shoot.

Edited by css_matt

I didnt know Arma could support 100 people, sounds fun. 128 is quality on bf2 PR.

Im still not sure what to expect, really, because alot of people seem to have different views here.

I just hope there are a couple of servers that lean towards a PR playing style, using a great deal of strategy to dominate, take control of/ destroy the caches, of Limnos. I know alot of people may find the intensity and realism of this style to OTT. To be honest, its the complete opposite from the CODs and BF3 but what would be awesome is an ongoing scenario if possible, that could take days to achieve.

From what I have heard, Limnos is massive, with over 50+ towns? Can you imagine a gamemode where nearly all of those towns were potentially in control of the enemies and a threat. Would take a fair while to clear out each town. Would be so fun though.

====

One thing I would also like to see, which is also probably to OTT in realism is co-ordinated flight missions. I dont mean a mode designed for it. I mean where a group of people plan there own air missions to help the fellow players who are on foot. Maybe a scouting mission or maybe a raid, but it would be insane of this kind of style could somehow make an appearance in some gamemode in Arma. While BF2: PR is fun, helicopters/planes have much less objective than ground units, they tend to just circle and shoot.

That is everything already available in Arma 2

For some people, public unorganized PvP is enough and for some (like myself) it's not. I prefer organized events where there are elaborate objectives that depict real life situations. A simple patrol of a town with 10 vs 10 players can be really awesome. Not to mention the places like UO that have 100 player missions that are really awesome.

If you are really dedicated to Arma then I would join a small clan (10 people, give or take), play small TvT missions (or even coop), possibly do some TvT against other clans, then wait for events like the ones that UO throws and register your clan to participate.

How is domination, where there are human players vs AI, not co-op?

Coop is short for cooperative right? That kind of thing certainly isn't present there at all.

And have you ever heard of the Insurgency missions? I play this on a public server all the time, and it's very popular here. VON is working fine most of the time and many of us work together as teams.

I haven't tried Insurgency yet that's why I don't comment on it.

Precisely because there are no co-op, PVP or any other kind of missions, the public doesn't play 'em. You may think it's easy to scavenge armaholic.com for missions, I will tell you 90% of the populace gives up at this stage.

If they were interested in playing something better - they wouldn't give up. People who didn't, play a lot of quality coop and pvp that are about cooperation first and not about the shooting gallery. There are so many and varied missions being made that you won't get bored with playing the same "de_dust2" forever.

If people come to ArmA and expect to keep playing the same generic team deathmatch shooter it's their fault.

It's just how it is with games designed to be something more than a frag grinder.

The more you invest, the more you get back.

By captivating the attention of a single team, the bots don't get bored or frustrated at their disadvantage.

The opposite team should just grow some balls then.

Edited by metalcraze

Coop is short for cooperative right? That kind of thing certainly isn't present there at all.

I don't know why you keep making such hasty generalizations. The vast majority of the domination missions (and yes, they're on public servers) I've been on had players working together as teams against AI.

I haven't tried Insurgency yet that's why I don't comment on it.

I mentioned it because it's another popular co-op mission played on public servers here.

If we follow your logic than no mission is ever Coop. Domination is highly coop... only the players mess it up and go out on their own. So a random coop mission from like Armaholic would suddenly be not coop from design anymore if suddenly all players start to play it on their own. No it will still be a Coop but the players are not playing it as Coop.