Sign in to follow this  
X1Steffen

Iron Front dedicated server statement

lmfao.

I actually had a ping of 230. No red or yellow chain of any kind. Everything was working perfectly fine, not sure what your issue is.

I just recorded 12.4GB worth of video, would you like to see it?

if the server has 32 players and you are able to fight other people without seeing them running without moving and everything is working as it should then, yes, please, i'd even pay see that

protip: just joining a server and walking around doenst count, try engaging the enemy, once you see them running without moving or you get killed without hearing a shot, or you shoot someone, see the blood splash but nothing happens, you'll understand the issue.

Edited by nocturna

Here ya go. I don't have a YouTube account, so I just used dropbox, which has a 300MB file limit. I can't remember how many people were in the server, but everyone was moving and you can see that I shoot someone and someone shoots me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmbmgfhzy94pgsd/Iron%20Front%20RAW%20Gameplay.mp4

Like I said, have you allowed Iron Front through the Windows firewall? Perhaps you have an anti-virus that is blocking it somehow?

I'm also trying to help you, but you just typ "lmfao".

I can understand people being upset.

We'll wait for the patch though, hope it's stable.

I'm disappointed with the sheer amount of issues with Iron Front on launch (even with the day 1 patch), it does make me wonder wether you guys actually have a QA team. Now don't get me wrong, I am not asking for a bug free game on launch - however I do expect a game on launch to have undergone at least basic QA.

I'm patient however, and I will see what happens in the coming weeks. Afterall, it's not the end of the world and I hope the devs hop on the issues quickly and resolve them.

Protector. I was asleep when you wrote your comments so could not respond. There was no need to be quite so rude. Why would I lie? There are a couple of missions that caused some issues, so I removed them from the mission folder and re-started the server and in the main it ran fine. I did not say that it was perfect.

I think the issue is when there are a lot of AI in a mission, which would not surprise me as this is what generally kills any Arma based server. As I said I played a few games with all-humans and everything seemed fine (there were a number of 200+ pingers playing too).

So, with a a lot of AI often there is a problem on mission startup, JIP and sometimes re-spawn. Watching the server FPS it tends to run along nicely at around 35-45fps, then it will drop to around 2-3fps for a few minutes. Sometimes it will recover from this, and sometimes it wont and will end up kicking people off. I have only really tested the BK PvP missions (although I played one tank battle and one air battle and they were fine). I haven't played any co-op yet.

I am running the dedicated server (and it is dedicated - sitting in a server farm somewhere in Germany) with the full game installed, utilising the -server switch and configs set up exactly as I would have with an Arma or ToH server.

If I was becomming argumentative last night then I apoologise, but overall I had a lot of fun last night playing, and I just can't see that it is as bad (overall) as some people say. And, it was day-one!

My apologies for the rudeness, obviously I just really would like to play this game and with "crucial" things missing it is becoming quite difficult and now it seems the developers have now taken a long weekend off while it slowly loses player base due to problems its having.

As for the long weekend. W0lle only mentioned that it was a holiday weekend in Germany - he didn't say that no-one was working on the issues - I seriously doubt that the 'office is empty'. Having said that I'm sure there are people who are taking a well earned break - human beings need their rest after all.

I have been involved in a few massive (worldwide) software releases in my time (back in my corporate days) and I can tell you that there is a mental amount of adrenaline running around you coming up to release and then there is a kind of a calmness when you push the 'go' button. After that there's about a 24 hour period of calm euphoria (which often involve an amount of beer drinking) before the shit hits the fan and you are into full on support mode! One thing that never changed though was that there were always bugs. There was always something you didn't test, or something you thought could never happen - it's the kind of thing that only appears when systems are released into the wild!! I can guarantee though that there WILL be people working this weekend!

Putting aside the argument here and delving solely into the practicalities.

I have a member who has bought this game and wants me to host it as a dedi on our box. With the server.exe apparently broken.

Can running the game's exe with the -server param initiate any copyright protection that would not run if I was running the dedicated server.exe as is done in ArmA2?

More specifically, can the client owning the key that the server will be using, be able to connect and play on the remote box ?

and what would be the gamespy browser address I need to use in the config ?

I also need to know what ports need to be opened.

Is there any instruction out there for setting up a dedi specifically for this game, I cant find any?

Edited by Terox

Putting aside the argument here and delving solely into the practicalities.

I have a member who has bought this game and wants me to host it as a dedi on our box. With the server.exe apparently broken.

Can running the game's exe with the -server param initiate any copyright protection that would not run if I was running the dedicated server.exe as is done in ArmA2?

More specifically, can the client owning the key that the server will be using, be able to connect and play on the remote box ?

I too would like to know this as well.

I have always assumed that running the main exe more than once simultaneously using the same key was not allowed and may trigger fade. I bought a second copy to put on my server in this instance.

As for the ports, it is the same as Arma - 2302 and 2303 - although you can override this in the startup parameters (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters).

For the config itself I am using exactly the same config as with Arma (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg). The only difference is that I am not initiating BattleEye.

Main Config (Jedmain.cfg)

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "[1.01] Arma2Jedra - Iron Front [1.01 Required]"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";      // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "asifiamgoingtotellyou";     // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com";  // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server 
//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";            // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";         // For Operation Arrowhead
//reportingIP = "127.0.0.1"    // TEST
logFile = "server_console.log";   // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
"", "", "", 
"Welcome to Arma2Jedra (Iron Front Server)",
"",
"There isn't usually an admin here, so play nicely!"
};
motdInterval = 5;      // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};      // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 30;      // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1;     // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 2;     // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
//equalModRequired = 0;     // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;       // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 1.1;     // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 0;      // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 5;     // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent = 1;      // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";     // self-explaining
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";
//RegularCheck = "";
// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
//onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
BattlEye = 0; //Server to use BattlEye system

Secondary Config (JEDarma2JED.cfg)

MinBandwidth=92160000;
MaxBandwidth=100000000;
MaxMsgSend=36;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1200;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=600;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
maxCustomFileSize=102400;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

Startup Line

D:\GAMES\Iron Front\ironfront.exe" "-server" "-cfg=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDarma2JED.cfg" "-bepath=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDBE" "-config=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDmain.cfg"

Hope this helps.

I have always assumed that running the main exe more than once simultaneously using the same key was not allowed and may trigger fade. I bought a second copy to put on my server in this instance.

As for the ports, it is the same as Arma - 2302 and 2303 - although you can override this in the startup parameters (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters).

For the config itself I am using exactly the same config as with Arma (http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg). The only difference is that I am not initiating BattleEye.

Main Config (Jedmain.cfg)

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname = "[1.01] Arma2Jedra - Iron Front [1.01 Required]"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password = "";      // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin = "asifiamgoingtotellyou";     // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
//reportingIP = "armedass.master.gamespy.com";  // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server 
//reportingIP = arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";            // In case of ArmA2 might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";         // For Operation Arrowhead
//reportingIP = "127.0.0.1"    // TEST
logFile = "server_console.log";   // Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[] = {
"", "", "", 
"Welcome to Arma2Jedra (Iron Front Server)",
"",
"There isn't usually an admin here, so play nicely!"
};
motdInterval = 5;      // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[] = {};      // Outdated.
maxPlayers = 30;      // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate = 1;     // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures = 2;     // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
//equalModRequired = 0;     // Outdated. If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers = 1;       // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold = 1.1;     // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN = 0;      // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality = 5;     // Quality from 1 to 10
persistent = 1;      // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected = "";     // self-explaining
onUserDisconnected = "";
doubleIdDetected = "";
//RegularCheck = "";
// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
//onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
onDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
BattlEye = 0; //Server to use BattlEye system

Secondary Config (JEDarma2JED.cfg)

MinBandwidth=92160000;
MaxBandwidth=100000000;
MaxMsgSend=36;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1200;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=600;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
maxCustomFileSize=102400;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

Startup Line

D:\GAMES\Iron Front\ironfront.exe" "-server" "-cfg=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDarma2JED.cfg" "-bepath=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDBE" "-config=[i]pathtoconfig[/i]\JEDmain.cfg"

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this

Are your clients seeing Iron Front in their Gamespy browser, when using "reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";

Running a server with -server parameter + running a client on another box all from same gamecd/dlc works without any issues.

Edit: by issues i mean no fade / cdkey in use issues - dedi servers crashes/freezes and are not usable in current state - awaiting 1.02 :)

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

I don't believe that a server requires a key, but I could be wrong.

I have run a dedicated server on my computer and played ArmA with the same key. I never ran into any DEGRADE issues. It works better this way as you have more control.

I don't believe that a server requires a key, but I could be wrong.

I have run a dedicated server on my computer and played ArmA with the same key. I never ran into any DEGRADE issues. It works better this way as you have more control.

Having a registered key helps make updating, patching a lot easier. Other than that its not required for a dedi

But running the ironfront.exe with a -server param is likely to not be quite the same

Are your clients seeing Iron Front in their Gamespy browser, when using "reportingIP = "master.gamespy.com";

Yes - server shows up. It's how I got ToH to work with gamespy too - it's their master IP address and should in theory work for anything!

With regard to the keys/licences/fade and the main exe - I guess it's probably worth waiting for the ironfrontserver.exe to appear. Although I would say that if there is no difference from the main exe, why would they have two versions??

The server has been up all day and I have been monitoring it. For most PvP (human vs human) games, it works fine - pretty much a steady 40-45fps (server fps). Problems start to occur when;

1. There are lots of AI - especially AI vehicles.

2. There is lots of JIP. Every time someone JIPs the fps drops to about 9-10 fps, if a lot of people are JIPing then this drops to about 2-3 fps and most times does not recover. Usually what happens next is that players are kicked for not responding and then the server recovers, but never back to 40-45 fps (only to about 20-30 fps). Then of course people start joining again and the whole cycle starts again. I'm going to try locking the server after a number of joins before starting a mission - see what happens.

Not relevent anymore since the server.exe was released

Edited by Terox

I am unable to use the unlock code that the client has given me to be able to setup an install of the game so that I can set up a server on the remote box. "Useage exceeded"

How have you worked around this ?

To any mod reading this thread, I am NOT trying to clone the game for personal useage, I am simply trying to get a dedicated server up and running

They've released a dedicated server beta.

Still nothing for Linux.. :(

+1 waiting Linux server

I've tried copying the files over to a virtual machine so I can try and run a dedicated server with lots of AI to lessen the burden on my main machine (it runs about 2fps if I play 32 player Blitzkreig with AI enabled) but when I add -server to the executable, the game wants to be unlocked again.

Apparently there's dedicated server beta files in a recently released beta patch but I don't see anything other than another ironfront.exe?

Is there another executable that'll allow a server to be run?

I've tried copying the files over to a virtual machine so I can try and run a dedicated server with lots of AI to lessen the burden on my main machine (it runs about 2fps if I play 32 player Blitzkreig with AI enabled) but when I add -server to the executable, the game wants to be unlocked again.

Apparently there's dedicated server beta files in a recently released beta patch but I don't see anything other than another ironfront.exe?

Is there another executable that'll allow a server to be run?

You must not be downloading the correct version. Make sure you're clicking the link that says "DedicatedServer".

Beta Patch

Cheers, looking at the readme of the version I downloaded, thought there was only one version.

Thanks.

I find it hilarious that all you guys are denouncing someone who said there was a problem, saying it was their fault it wasn't working, when the developers have openly admitted that there's a problem, hence why the dedicated server files weren't released yet.

I've been trying to run my own dedicated server a few times pre-beta and yes, it is a serious problem. You get no indication that the server has desynced, despite the fact that it is desyncing its nuts off.

Still, I'm in the camp that this should have been tested prior to release. Hell, give me the fricken files next time and I'll test em for you free of charge.

@Jedra

I cant join your server you use the 1.61 version. Where do I get this?

I have 1.60