Sign in to follow this  
Sekra

Does the game use PhysX?

So now that the game is out and some of you people have obviously bought it already, can anyone confirm if the game uses PhysX or not? From the videos I've seen so far the physics of the game have partially looked so dramatically different from anything I've seen in the whole OFP and ArmA series so far I'm doubtful about the game using vanilla physics of the engine.

Please refrain from posting just to increase your postcount please. I want a clear and definitive answer from either a developer or if a customer posts something please back it up with some hard data of what you've found.

Please refrain from posting just to increase your postcount please. I want a clear and definitive answer from either a developer or if a customer posts something please back it up with some hard data of what you've found.

Lol. If you don't want answer, just refrain from asking. I bought the game, tested it and from what i can see, there is no Physx into it.

It definitely does not. It is using the same engine as Arma 2 OA (albeit a little modified) - so you're not going to see any major engine differences.

It definitely does not. It is using the same engine as Arma 2 OA (albeit a little modified) - so you're not going to see any major engine differences.

I believe my own eyes more than trusting BI to document every possible available feature of the engine. Just because vanilla OA doesnt have PhysX enabled doesnt mean that the engine doesnt support it. Just look at all the patches that have added features to the engine but are simply not enabled with the bohemia addons / units.

Well, the helms can be shot down from heads and tank turrets falls on the ground.

That has nothing to do with PhysX actually. If PhysX would be used, it surely would be mentioned as a feature, don't you think so? ;)

From the OFPEC interview:

As promised early on the vehicles in IFL44 can break into pieces when destroyed, each falling to the ground separately, and we've even seen individual soldier's helmets drop to the ground when shot. Are these types of physics simple systems by themselves, or is there an all around physics-engine implemented (to some degree as Bohemia is featuring in ArmA 3)? In what other ways will we see forms of physics implemented in the game?

Vasileios: There is no big magic involved – it is done all with the possibilities the Arrowhead engine provides. So there are no special changes of the physics in the engine like there is in the upcoming Arma 3.

I think that should be clear enough that there is no PhysX.

@Sekra - there have been multiple discussions in the past about adding PhysX as a mod both in these forums and on the nVidia forums (no firm results from any of these as far as I can remember). I think the first time we are going to see 'real' physics is with the Real Virtuality Engine 3, in Arma 3.

Having said that I am sure that VBS2 has PhysX - I am not quite sure how that affects things though!

Yeah VBS2 has PhysX. But if you read that answer carefully he doesnt directly say that there is no PhysX support. He just says that there are no changes and if there already is PhysX support "hidden" in the OA engine (to do preliminary testing for A3 units / features long ago?) it would require no changes.

And I'm not talking about falling helmets, I'm not talking about tank turrets, these are things that have been showcased with arma mods before anyhow. There are however things in the IF videos that show dramatically different behaviour in other things (namely collision physics) that make me doubt them using completely vanilla physics we have grown accustomed to be seen in OA with addons made by Bohemia.

That has nothing to do with PhysX actually. If PhysX would be used, it surely would be mentioned as a feature, don't you think so? ;)

I dont see any engine related features mentioned in any of the online stores for instance anyhow, only gameplay related. As to why they are not mentioning PhysX even if they would be using it, god only knows?

Only reason I'm asking and wanting proof so adamantly is that interviews and stuff I read conflicts with the stuff I see in the videos and since I've been playing the engine since OFP I've never seen some of the things in the engine either vanilla or modded that I see with the IF stuff. I don't really care what you believe or think or what other people (including the devs) have said before, I just want to see some actual hard FACTS that it either is or is not using PhysX (or well any other physics system for that matter). :)

And when it comes to the adding of PhysX you don't consider the callExtension support introduced in the betas after 1.60 a huge step forward into adding external connections into the Arma engine?

It does not use PhysX, however there are a few custom scripts and modules used that add a few more physics features using the existing physics in the OA engine like you mentioned. These features include helmets that can be shot off, weapons get dropped by units when they die and there are quite a few destructable pieces that can be blown off the vehicles when they explode / component fails / vehicle gets run over. The vehicle handling is very similiar to ArmA 2, it might of been tweaked a little bit for WW2 vehicle performance but it certainly still feels very familiar.

Yeah VBS2 has PhysX. But if you read that answer carefully he doesnt directly say that there is no PhysX support. He just says that there are no changes...

Then he adds:

So there are no special changes of the physics in the engine like there is in the upcoming Arma 3.

Which I understand as "there is no PhysX".

Edited by Snafu

finnally understood? or are you gonna keep wanting for a dev. answer? you can always send a PM to dwarden or a BIS dev. anyway