Sign in to follow this  
Tontow

difference in Carrier Command: Gaea Mission and the orignal?

I'm thinking about getting Gaea Mission, but from what I have seen so far it seems to be an almost exact clone of the orignal.

What is the difference in Carrier Command: Gaea Mission and the orignal Carrier Command as far as Core gameplay?

Has anyone yet to make a youtube video on the differences between the orgnal (that you can get for free) and Gaea mission?

Also:

Are the islands dynamically generated or are they pre-made static islands?

Is multiplayer only 1v1 or do we get 32 man/carrier battles?

I'm thinking about getting Gaea Mission, but from what I have seen so far it seems to be an almost exact clone of the orignal.

What is the difference in Carrier Command: Gaea Mission and the orignal Carrier Command as far as Core gameplay?

Has anyone yet to make a youtube video on the differences between the orgnal (that you can get for free) and Gaea mission?

Also:

It is pretty much a clone of the original, but with 2012 graphics. If Bohemia Interactive would have changed the core gameplay too much, then it wouldn't be "Carrier Command" and people would have complained.

No multiplayer is available yet, but they might create a multiplayer mode to be added in a later patch.

2005 graphics :>

Also units can fight on their own instead of just moving there.

BI made a game that maintains the atmosphere of the original Carrier Command very well. The playing style is about the same. The ingredients are the same. But there are many differences to the original just as well beside the obvious like modern graphics (no specific order and surely not complete):

• No landing of Mantas on islands
  • Mantas can hover, fly sideways and backwards
  • No fuel production for Manta and Walrus
  • No Long Range Communications Pod
  • No automatic production of several items at a time
  • Attack/Defence/Assist modes for units
  • No Manta on the Carrier's deck (Mantas are either docked or in the air only)
  • No real free movement of the Carrier (just 'warping' from island to island)
  • No independent timewarp function (only with carrier movement from island to island)
  • Carrier's offensive weapon (Plasma Gun) front mounted only
  • Defensive guns on the Carrier
  • Hook for Mantas to carry a Walrus
  • Rockets are no longer wire guided
  • All weapons have limited ammo
  • The island's terrain is strategically important
  • Fixed position for Command Center on each island
  • Repair, refuel and re-ammo buildings on islands (for Walrus use only)
  • Repair Gun for Walrus
  • Different armor types for Walrus and Mantas
  • Ammo Boxes for additional ammo

That is one of the differences. The islands are pre-made static as it seems. Additionally the game engine seems to support only one island to be loaded into memory at a time only. This is very limiting strategically since you can't use Mantas as remote reconnaissance units any more.

As far as I know there is no multiplayer announced.

In the full game there will be 30+ islands although they are pre-designed, their type can change. The location of the islands and their links will change from game to game.

Free movement of the carrier is easily possible with either manual control, or individual waypoints although when zoomed out it will switch to navigating direct to islands.

As for multiplayer, I very much doubt we will find out anything until very close to, or just after the release date...

G

I have heard that BI may be taking a look at multiplayer after they release it.

Isn't the digital copy that you currently can get for $24.99 the exact same as what you would get for the $50? I mean, If it is a ture digital copy, (being able to download it whenever I want if I need to), then why should I tie my copy to steam?

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Also, will the game have unit formations in the final product?

I was thrilled and amazed to see that CC is coming back... I *loved* the game on the Amiga, and wish only the most success.

Trying VERY hard not to piss on anyone's parade... I read the list of differences here, and honestly, I have some truly serious concerns that I can only hope that I can offer, as an original, day 1 player of Carrier Command, can offer.

Now, granted, my memory is foggy on details... it's been a VERY long time, but may I kindly suggest, that as I read through the list of differences, a common and distressing theme starts to gel.

CC was about *control*. More than anything... it was about deciding and doing, minus the mundane chores. A single person control of a vast automated toolbox with a mission in mind.

Mantas can now do more than before. Well. OK. But this now MORE capable craft can now no longer do what the driver want's it to do... namely land where he want's it to. He can't even park it on his own carrier deck? WHO'S IN CONTROL HERE? Certainly not the player.

No real free movement of the Carrier?????? Again... the fantasy here is that *I* am in control. Me. If I want to sail round the islands pointlessly... then so be it.

*If I can not, then it is not a world, and I am not a part of this world. I am a player limited to arbitrary rules. It is now a game of chess.*

I can't automatically produce several items at a time? I am not totally sure what this means... but I am tempted to say, why not? It's my world. Now, if it relates to the realism and practicality of factories only being able to produce one thing at a time... but can carry on until many things are automatically produced, then all good and well.

Rockets *can't* be guided???? Again, who is in control here? What if I *want* to? Again, am I not in charge?

The pure JOY of CC was that things happened because I said they should. In this short list, I see this notion present that "Sorry captain... you're not allowed..." rearing it's head.

CC was essentially the first 3D sandbox game as far as I know... wayyyy back in the 80's. That made it special.

A world is a sandbox... and the idea of the sandbox has been taken to amazing heights. The popularity and playability (and YouTube potential) for games comes, these days, almost exclusively due to their sandbox nature... where you can do anything... stupid, crazy, unintended things, that very often turn into amazing moments.

"Can't" is not a word that should appear much in such a game as CC, in my view. Run your carrier aground!!! Shoot it and blow it up! Fly the Mantas into each other! Wire guide a rocket through a tight spot, just because you can.

Unleash the game. You'll do better.

Wishing the crew at Bohemian and those chaps working hard at the studios all success.

I'm very tempted to find my A1000, see if I can start it up, and play the old CC again!

Try to find and understand the magic of the old game as best you can... that's the best advice I can give.

It *does* look good... but I truly hope for greatness.

All the best.

RS

• No landing of Mantas on islands
  • Mantas can hover, fly sideways and backwards
  • No fuel production for Manta and Walrus
  • No Long Range Communications Pod
  • No automatic production of several items at a time
  • Attack/Defence/Assist modes for units
  • No Manta on the Carrier's deck (Mantas are either docked or in the air only)
  • No independent timewarp function (only with carrier movement from island to island)
  • Carrier's offensive weapon (Plasma Gun) front mounted only
  • Defensive guns on the Carrier
  • Hook for Mantas to carry a Walrus
  • Rockets are no longer wire guided
  • All weapons have limited ammo
  • The island's terrain is strategically important
  • Fixed position for Command Center on each island
  • Repair, refuel and re-ammo buildings on islands (for Walrus use only)
  • Repair Gun for Walrus
  • Different armor types for Walrus and Mantas
  • Ammo Boxes for additional ammo

•No independent timewarp function (only with carrier movement from island to island)

That is a game breaker for me.

•No Long Range Communications Pod

I hope they add a Long Range Communications Pod even it would take up 2 or 3 slots on the manta

•No Manta on the Carrier's deck

You mean I can't raise my mantas to deck level for a faster launch? Sad player is sad :( ....

OK, some of my fears were raised too soon... I've seen some gameplay video, and indeed, you CAN drive your carrier... it's just that "island to island" is somehow a through a wormhole or something... this works for me.

The DOS version of the original CC had a timewarp feature that was sadly missing from the Amiga and And atari versions, so I think this sounds very similar.

Anyway, I coughed up the cash for the Beta.... looks amazing.

No real free movement of the Carrier (just 'warping' from island to island)

For me this is a real game breaker.

There's alot on that list that break the originals appeal, never mind take the game forward into todays marketplace.

Biggest mistake was trying to push it to the console.

Sorry for answering late. I am glad you signed up for the Beta meanwhile, RyderSpearmann. You won't regret it.

It seem's like parts of my differences list were a little confusing though and I would like everyone to know that I am very, very satisfied with CCGM. I am quoting myself here:

I had more fun with the Beta than with many other finished games these days already.

I haven't changed my opinion at all.

Now your concerns:

CC was about *control*.

That hasn't changed. CCGM is still about control. There are just a few things different (and that was actually the original question in this thread). Most changes make CCGM better than the original, just a few don't. The sum is pure excitement.

He can't even park it [Manta] on his own carrier deck?

You won't miss that function too much. I promise.

No real free movement of the Carrier?????? [...] If I want to sail round the islands pointlessly... then so be it.

You can do that. You just have to zoom in and move the carrier step by step or manually. In the vicinity of an island you have full control over the carrier. Just when you sail from one island to the other you MUST use the "Set Sail" function (which is basically an automatic time warp) and you always will arrive at the "port" of the selected island. You can't "sneak up". This is actually one of the few things that CCGM does not better than the original. I guess this is the price we have to pay for multi-platform. But, well... Without multi-platform probably there would be no CCGM at all.

I can't automatically produce several items at a time? I am not totally sure what this means...

This means that production is kinda serial at the moment. You produce one item after the other only. You can set up a production queue with certain limitations. What you can't do is to produce 2 items A, then 1 item B and then 1 item A again. If you add more items A they will always add to the ones already in the queue. But honestly: That is no big thing. It's just a difference to the original and so I mentioned it.

Rockets *can't* be guided????

Well, in the original game you had wire guided rockets. In CCGM you have two types: Rockets are flying always straight, Missiles can be locked on targets and are auto-guided after being launched. Both types are useful in different situations.

CC was essentially the first 3D sandbox game as far as I know... wayyyy back in the 80's. That made it special.

It still is. The only drawback at the moment is the fact, that there is only one island loaded at a time. I don't like this, but the whole package is already my game of the year 2012. It is absolutely SPECIAL.

I'm very tempted to find my A1000, see if I can start it up, and play the old CC again!

No bad idea anyway... :cool:

That is one of the differences. The islands are pre-made static as it seems. Additionally the game engine seems to support only one island to be loaded into memory at a time only. This is very limiting strategically since you can't use Mantas as remote reconnaissance units any more.

As far as I know there is no multiplayer announced.

I like what I've seen so far but if they could fix these issues I think they would have something truly great.

Any word on this title from E3?

This means that production is kinda serial at the moment. You produce one item after the other only. You can set up a production queue with certain limitations. What you can't do is to produce 2 items A, then 1 item B and then 1 item A again. If you add more items A they will always add to the ones already in the queue. But honestly: That is no big thing. It's just a difference to the original and so I mentioned it.

You can do that. (2 items A, then 1 item B and then 1 item A again. Even produce 3 items C inbetween. :) )

See: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?135771-Production-Queue-gt-Drag-items-up-and-down

I have never played the original version but after reading the forums a while it has become apparent to me that there's no multiplayer option in this release, so my question is was multiplayer part of the original version ?

Because if this function was absent from the original I wouldn't expect or think that it will make an appearance in the first place since researching the title suggest's that they tried to maintain the game play from the original version back in '98

Edited by CATOBAR
Additional content was added...

Yup - there was no multiplayer in the original. When we were kids, me and a friend used to bring our Amigas to each others places, play Carrier Command and see who could take most islands in the shortest time, or play Elite and see who could get highest status in a certain time etc.

Of course, eventually we got Powermonger, Lemmings, Lotus Challenge and Armour-Geddon. I made a null modem cable and two-player was just brilliant fun! At school I was making a small fortune soldering these up for people ;)

Actually I think Lemmings just needed two mice, it's been a long, long time!

Edited by Harbinger

If no one noticed, you CAN freely control the carrier, either by manual control, or by selecting waypoints, and you can cancel the timewarp at any time to freely control the carrier if you want, the timewarp even stops if an enemy carrier comes in range, with is a huge reliever for me.

Having an absolute blast with the beta. The original Carrier Command was one of those games I grew up with that left a huge imprint on my childhood.

I do have some concerns though. Like many have pointed out already, the "set sail" mechanic ruins it a bit. I think it makes the game feel more like a board game than a simulation. I want to be able to zoom in to any spot in the ocean and tell the carrier to go there. I want to stop the carrier some distance off the coast and observe the island before moving in. Now though I can't even see the island until I am two seconds away from running aground, and that is in clear weather.

Also there are some more issues with pathfinding and suicidally stupid AI that take over your mantas and walruses as soon as you leave them, but despite all that it is still one of the most fun and engaging games I have played for some time.