Sign in to follow this  
kokop159

How is Arma 3 multiplayer going to be?

Hi, I'm a noob at Arma series and I got interested at Arma 3 after BF3 failed to keep its promise. I was searching for a game that involves more team play. I also recently heard about Dayz mods and this hooked me to the game. BUT the mmost important thing about a FPS, for me, is the multiplayer. Is it just coop and you play against AI? Can you play against other players? If so, how is Arma 3's multiplayer going to be? Will it be like deathmatch or capture an area? Thank you and please know that I haven't played any of the Arma games, and I am a noob.

The multiplayer in the ArmA series can be anything and everything. There is PvP, TDM, CTF, CTI, COOP, RPG, and DM. The only limit is your scripting abilities.

Also, the man who created DayZ is a multiplayer designer working on ArmA III.

Wow ok, that's a good news. I will be pre ordering this game when it becomes available, I guess :D

Yeah, this is the most beautiful part about Arma. You have complete freedom of playing it however you want and creating whatever you want.

Most popular way of playing it is in coop with clans, communities and friends. It's impossible however to say how casual public gaming will be at this time. In A2 it was mainly about Domination though, which is coop-based. But there are pvp-servers and events around as well. Best ones are between clans/communities :) Cant say i recommend playing on public servers, if this is what you're thinking. Find youself a clan or community instead.

You'll see that Arma is much more about awesome experiences and simulation than competition. This is why it's mostly played in coop, where the joy is in teamplay and using realistic systems rather than just shooting people and "win the game" as in BF3 or whatever.

You can still enjoy the fun of ArmA in public servers. I'm not a member of any clan so I just join public servers playing COOP game modes and I have a hell of a time. Most of the time the people are great and use their mics just as much as anyone in a clan.

Ah, you too disappointed from BF3 :) What I learnt from this community is that bohemia is the exact opposite of DICE: freedom for everyone. This community is amazing, they're even talking about paying more in order to thank devs ;)

Wow ok, that's a good news. I will be pre ordering this game when it becomes available, I guess :D

CTI - Capture the island (whole map) is the most engaging form of PVP in ArmA, because in one game you can experience everything from a mini-deathmatch in some remote village that your team needs to capture for resources, to all-out Warfare when you're flying a Su-25 bomber jet and taking out the other team's (also players) base and infrastructure, while some other members of your team take over enemy positions and resource areas 3 km out and finally flank their base, if you're successful in taking out their defenses. Of course, you don't have to fly, you can assume any other role in this equation. ;)

Look into Warfare mission: you have on average 32 players (2 teams, 16 per team), but each player can control, say, 12 AI and you leverage the gameplay this way, which, as I said, results in all-out warfare. ;)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

CTI - Capture the island (whole map) is the most engaging form of PVP in ArmA, because in one game you can experience everything from a mini-deathmatch in some remote village that your team needs to capture for resources, to all-out Warfare when you're flying a Su-25 bomber jet and taking out the other team's (also players) base and infrastructure, while some other members of your team take over enemy positions and resource areas 3 km out and finally flank their base, if you're successful in taking out their defenses. Of course, you don't have to fly, you can assume any other role in this equation. ;)

Look into Warfare mission: you have on average 32 players (2 teams, 16 per team), but each player can control, say, 12 AI and you leverage the gameplay this way, which, as I said, results in all-out warfare. ;)

THIS!

Warfare / CTI is the best mode iv played in Arma 2. Both teams vote in a commander who builds bases which contain vehicle and infantry factories. You take over towns a little like you take over control points in bf3 except each town is initially defended by server run AI troops and tanks. Once taken it gives you $ and gives the commander supplies to build more facs and upgrade vehicles/weapons etc. Eventually after the two teams fight towards each other to take over the AI controlled towns they meet somewhere in the middle and then the Pvp fun starts! It then becomes a race to get the most towns to get the most $ to buy the best vehicles/weapons to pummel the other team.

Each human player can purchase up to 10-12 ai troops also so there are lots of mini armies walking driving around the map. Currently runs up to about 50 players but each with 12 ai means the massive maps are populated with up to 600 individual units.

So u start with a rifle on your own and u can end up flying a jet later doing bombing runs on the enemy whilst ur ai drives tnks around below killing everything!

Sounds confusing but trust me if you want team play and to feel what it might be like to fight in a real, large scale war, you must try it.

I used to love battlefield, the open space, the vehicles...

Then I played arma...

Now it's all I play :-)

Edited by rory_pamphilon

Lol ok how is arma 2 free compared to regular arma 2? I try to buy arma 2 but it's no where around where I live. I don't like to buy games online because I like to have physical box of the game.

Lol ok how is arma 2 free compared to regular arma 2? I try to buy arma 2 but it's no where around where I live. I don't like to buy games online because I like to have physical box of the game.

Arma 2: Free is only Arma 2's Multiplayer aspect and has lower resolution textures, but the gameplay is overall unchanged. Also, it lacks support for user-made addons and missions, but that's about it. You DO get the mission editor, if I read this correctly.

Well thanks to DayZ it is hard enough to get a physical copy. Saying that you should find a site that you can order from. I dont know where you live but you should be able to get it delivered. I bought Arma2 and OA online when i got them and I do recall it was cheaper than buying from a regular store. I recommend this game 110%. But play the free version first just to be sure you do like it.

You can get Arma2 Combined Operations right off the web site's store... (Link) Combined Operations is the base game Arma2 plus the Operation Arrowhead expansion in one. You can also get it off Steam or order a DVD version, not sure why you wouldn't be able to get a copy of the game, especially a Download version.

Far from the most engaging compared to PR even in it's infant stages.

Warfare is more hands off compared to PR which is about strong communication, working on the teamwork aspect and having a solid direction throughout the whole battle.

Edited by SGTIce

I honestly don't know. I got a physical case of ArmA 2 CO and I live in Australia.

Also from what I have been hearing, people hosting ArmA 3 servers are gonna be selective in who they choose to join, as in noobs and people under 18 will get kicked and banned from most servers because all they would play is COD (seriously, lay off call of duty...)

But that is just rumours, i dont actually know a whole deal about ArmA 3 so dont quote me on it :p