Sign in to follow this  
stephsen

first impression and any questions

Kbourne: Not everyone pointing out their complains are morons. I really, really see the beauty in this game, but with constant crashes, it's difficult to cope with. It's pretty clear the issue is with my graphics card though, and I hope for a fix really soon.

That's one thing, the other is that I feel it's sad that a game this great, might put so many people off due to lack of proper testing. It's not tested well enough, as the multiplayer problems show, and the massive amounts of trigger errors in the campaign. I've encountered many.

The campaign is very ambitious - much more so than the Arma campaigns. Everyone, when it comes to release always seem to use the phrase 'lack of proper testing'. Unfortunately unless you have a military budget and a 0.01% error threshold requirement (which you need a military budget to achieve) then there are going to be bugs. There are also many other pressures involved, not least deadlines to provide files to the physical disk manufacturers, the online distributers and also straight up promises to your publishers with regard to a release date (who will a spent a fortune in advertising that date). So, you can be in a situation where you know about certain bugs and/or issues, but simply do not have time to do anything about them before release. The good news is that in this day and age patches are easily distributed.

Online testing is always difficult. Publishers like EA and Ubisoft can generate a huge alpha and beta test program because they have the budget to do so. Deep Silver are not in the same league as publishers and also they are dealing with a game that it much more open-ended and ambitious than anything the big publishers would dare to finance.

The one thing that we should be thankful for is that fact that there is a desire to fix any issues and there is a genuine pride in making this work from the developers.

As always, give them some time to fix the issues. As others have said, this is their first game and a very ambitious one at that.

It's important to support these guys as they, like BIS, are one of the few indie studios that have not sold out (just look at what happened to Bioware when they took the path of greed).

As with BIS, and as Jedra said, there is an obvious desire to support the product and that is what is really paramount. It's not just a case of 'release a game and immediately start promoting the next cash grab'.

IF is a really stellar effort IMHO, it just needs a bit of work.

Edited by BangTail

And need a bit of work it certainly does. I've been using the editor since the OFP days and all four of the missions I've tried to make in IF have met quick cancellations because of the AI's unwillingness to do ANYTHING. I look forward to this changing, hopefully. As it stands I see no reason to spent any more time in the editor. The attackers barely move and the defenders don't shoot. I'll try again after a patch or two.

Edited by GRS

Kbourne: Not everyone pointing out their complains are morons. I really, really see the beauty in this game, but with constant crashes, it's difficult to cope with. It's pretty clear the issue is with my graphics card though, and I hope for a fix really soon.

That's one thing, the other is that I feel it's sad that a game this great, might put so many people off due to lack of proper testing. It's not tested well enough, as the multiplayer problems show, and the massive amounts of trigger errors in the campaign. I've encountered many.

I don't see my self saying that everyone that makes a complaint is a moron? I said that that I ask my self why people feel the urge to bash and make a fool of them selves while making their complaint. thus how they act while they are making their point on an issue, it is the way how people say it.....

Anyway,

To point it out fairly simple, when the complaints pore in I can say that more then have of the problems are bound to be on the end users side, and the harder they yell the more I know they are jumping behind their rig pulling their hair out and freaking out like a numnut, .... At some point I can understand .. when someone is eagerly awaiting something .. with all the passion in their veins to try it out ... and when he or she finally gets hes or her hands on it and it does not work out like they had hoped then I can understand the disappointment :rolleyes: ...

While that is said it is a fairly good game release in to my eyes, and although it will have rough sides it has a lot of potential and they are already working hard to address some complaints ... So far I did not encounter any mayor problems, only the voice overlay that was to hard but I tuned that problem out and yeah the gun sounds, maybe we can pull in Jarhead to fix that part, anyway for me nothing where I can say damn this game is unplayable ...

kind regards

Edited by KBourne

I think IFL:44 captures the Eastern Front very well, better than any game to date to be quite honest. I'm thoroughly impressed. That said, I have experienced my fair share of bugs, CTD's, and performance issues, all of which have been discussed previously so I won't go into those. Looking forward to the continued support/patching that will inevitably squash the issues and the potential for expansions. Seelow Heights anyone?

I'm just finding it frustrating at the moment.

My German campaign, taken out the mortars - head back to base. The first time all my AT gun crews were blown up so got into one of them. Took out the 4 tanks but the uber tank sat there while I peppered it with at least 10 shells before it smacked me. Second time around, took ages to try and find the trigger but by that time, it didn't matter as one of the 4 tanks had rolled right up to that same trigger point casually taking out all my infantry. Third time, CTD.

Ok, try a Soviet campaign. After crashing at least half a dozen times at the intro, got to the part where you tell your crew what to shoot at in the tank as a commander. Mark the target, tell them to fire, they miss every time. Ran out of rounds.

Strange with all those CTD, I havent had one yet, and spendt 6 houres yesterday, and my pc was running all day.

I all so have no problem in editor to make attacker move and shoot like crazy nor the defenders.

For me it works just as well as in ARMA2.

Only thing that could do a tuneing is, as said befor, the sounds :)

Been playing in ARMA2 with JSRS mod,.... this sounds a bit to queit.

I'm just finding it frustrating at the moment.

...the uber tank sat there while I peppered it with at least 10 shells before it smacked me. ...

Got to agree on the tanks. While the system seem good and fine the contacts right now with the current numbers are a bit silly. The crews bails waaaay to late. I hardly think most crews would sit in their tank if a shell penetrated the hull and splattered on of their crew m8s. Now in some contacts you have to kill each enemy AI in the tank via penetration to disable the tank and even at very short ranges with heavy vs light tanks you hardly seem to penetrate at times.

At long range I dont mind there being a realistic amount of deflection in fights, but at short range I hardly think this amount of "nothing happens" shots was the reality. Sure, the tank itself might have been salvageable after a contact, but no sane person continues to sits in a tank that just got a 70mm shell through the turret and took the head of the commander.

This famous footage comes to mind as a example.

NBI9d0-IfEM

Only thing that could do a tuneing is, as said befor, the sounds :)

Been playing in ARMA2 with JSRS mod,.... this sounds a bit to queit.

As advised I have been trying to adjust the sound from my on-board soundcard, but don't know what it is I am looking at.

Am I right in thinking that RADIO is for adjustment of the dialogue and the VOP thing is for multiplay?

UPDATE: Seems I have fixed it by messing around with a few options on for my card.

Edited by Dajunka

@Dajunka

what i did with the sounds is the following. This might depend on the sound system your computer hosts ...

Radio slider is at 46 percent

The effect slider at 42 percent

The music slider at 33 percent

The von slider at 72 percent

after that I tampered with the sound config of my logitech, I tuned my high peeks lower and my bases a little higher. The voices are still a bit louder but now it is doable, maybe they fix this issue later however to be honest if i look to arma 2 even while using jarheads sounds i need to tamper the sound config of the game down also, but thats more or less my taste I guess.

However the sounds of the game like guns and heavy guns in overall cannon rounds etc are missing a lot of oomph sort to say, might not get addressed doh we might need to wait for a good sound mod ...

kind regards

@KBourne ur quite lucky when ur game doesnt crash and even seem to be looking good

My game crashed everywhere so far, if its SP or MP, and than when it does not crash, i get stopped by not working trigger, or whatever it is, in the russian campaign after few minutes! Common thats a joke. Whats so hard to find a not working trigger a few minutes after campaign start? Devs should be able to fix this within minutes. I mean, for me thats not that big problem in the end, because i know it will get fixed, but this game will get very bad rating from gaming magazines because of stupid avoidable bugs like that.

What piss me off is this:

I have the game running with same settings as OA (see my sig - OA runs fine now finally after patch 1.60 and my new gtx560, i waited for that 3 years!!!) Its told this game is on same level as OA with patch 1.60. I cant see that at all. Vegetation rendering especially is far away from what it looks like on chernarus, and chernarus itself still could need a bit of improvement regarding LOD popping (i know latest betas r fiddling with that-and im happy its in the works). I cant play a game where i have to look for the enemy in camosuits very carefully, when the vegetation is changing its shape all the time. Theres so much movement on the screen it would be hillarious if it wasnt a game that i just spend money for.

U sure u want that? :) Because right now my rating wouldnt be very good, maybe 3/10. I would give this 3 points because of the absolute top notch qualitiy at the textures/models/design of weapons,units,vehicles,maps. Also because of the new features compared to ArmA OA. The Campaigns seem VERY intersting, voice acting in the german campaign is outstanding (so far the game let me play it). But all those positives get washed away because right now im not able to use the game.

In the future i will give it a 9/10 or 10/10 for sure :)

U sure u want that? :) Because right now my rating wouldnt be very good, maybe 3/10. I would give this 3 points because of the absolute top notch qualitiy at the textures/models/design of weapons,units,vehicles,maps. Also because of the new features compared to ArmA OA. The Campaigns seem VERY intersting, voice acting in the german campaign is outstanding (so far the game let me play it). But all those positives get washed away because right now im not able to use the game.

In the future i will give it a 9/10 or 10/10 for sure :)

Everybody is free to write good and bad comments, isn't it obvious. I see enough good comments in this topic also, they could write their opinion too.

After getting past the bloody awful tutorials I am finding it to not be a bad game at all, and with a bit of dedication it could be a really good game. But as Runforrest says, we could give it a much better rating a little later as things get ironed out.

@KBourne I seemed to have solved the worst of the noise I was getting over the dialogue, don't ask me how, I just clicked a few things and twiddled a few knobs. :D

But I agree the sound could do with some work.

@KBourne ur quite lucky when ur game doesnt crash and even seem to be looking good

My game crashed everywhere so far, if its SP or MP, and than when it does not crash, i get stopped by not working trigger, or whatever it is, in the russian campaign after few minutes! Common thats a joke.

I can't say that it is my experience when it is not, the trigger thing happens to me sometimes too but maybe I am a bit more tolerant and patient to take the time to figure it out after 10 years of armaverse I got used to it I guess :o. Crashes are not happening on my end and if you say I am lucky, maybe I am but it is strange that it happens to others time over time not only with this game but also with a lot of other games while my simple rig pulls trough all those issues ...

Whats so hard to find a not working trigger a few minutes after campaign start? Devs should be able to fix this within minutes.

Devs can fix it idd in a short amount of time but while there is the trigger issue there might be other issues that are a little more time consuming and as a matter of a fact I think it is wiser to release those fixes in a larger patch then only a small patch with the campaign fixes alone.

I mean, for me thats not that big problem in the end, because i know it will get fixed, but this game will get very bad rating from gaming magazines because of stupid avoidable bugs like that.

Well I see it like this, this is there first release, they will learn from it just like bis did, I gave bis 10 years of credit and look at them now... I don't see why I wouldn't give these fellows the credit that I gave bis ... Stupid avoidable bugs? I would like to see you working for a software manufacturer lolz, I mean do you know what time limit they get and what kind of stress they need to endurance to get their product on the table?

First off all they need to show what they can and how committed they are, they need to sell there product to the production house even before it is on the table ...

Then they will get a time table from that same production house you want to make a game hah, ok no problem you have that amount of time and you will get xxxxx dollars to do it.

IF you don't meet the time frame you will get fined or even fired, and your product wont even hit the marked, This is if you put it simple when you don't take in account that that same production house is breathing in your neck where you need to show them monthly or maybe even weekly where you are at with your ambition ....

What piss me off is this:

I have the game running with same settings as OA (see my sig - OA runs fine now finally after patch 1.60 and my new gtx560, i waited for that 3 years!!!) Its told this game is on same level as OA with patch 1.60. I cant see that at all. Vegetation rendering especially is far away from what it looks like on chernarus, and chernarus itself still could need a bit of improvement regarding LOD popping (i know latest betas r fiddling with that-and im happy its in the works). I cant play a game where i have to look for the enemy in camosuits very carefully, when the vegetation is changing its shape all the time. Theres so much movement on the screen it would be hillarious if it wasnt a game that i just spend money for.

Like said before, I can't say that it is my experience when it is not. However I have to agree that it is odd especially because you're system is even a tiny bit better then mine ....

After getting past the bloody awful tutorials I am finding it to not be a bad game at all, and with a bit of dedication it could be a really good game. But as Runforrest says, we could give it a much better rating a little later as things get ironed out.

@KBourne I seemed to have solved the worst of the noise I was getting over the dialogue, don't ask me how, I just clicked a few things and twiddled a few knobs. :D

But I agree the sound could do with some work.

I am glad to hear that, sometimes you only need to figure stuff out and then it hits you that it turns out not that bad :)

Kind regards

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Guys, I would really appreciate if you would post your opinion about the game in the rating of metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/iron-front-liberation-1944

To be honest, I personally never rely on meta scores look at the review of pc gamer Germany. There review is more personal then game related they are not addressing the game properly but they call the tanks paper mache cardboard boxes? Game guided meta scores are personal bounded to one person in particular ''the one that is writing it'' they will never give a person a trough insight of the game it selves without trying it out, people that let them selves guide by a meta score are part of a flock driven crowd I for one go for personal taste and this game will stick for me and I know for sure for a lot of others ... I hope you guys will commit to bring this tittle further :) Keep up the good work ...

Kind regards

Edited by KBourne

Don`t look on reviews, keep the patching and good work up... ;)

To be honest, I personally never rely on meta scores look at the review of pc gamer Germany. There review is more personal then game related they are not addressing the game properly but they call the tanks paper mache cardboard boxes? Game guided meta scores are personal bounded to one person in particular ''the one that is writing it'' they will never give a person a trough insight of the game it selves without trying it out, people that let them selves guide by a meta score are part of a flock driven crowd I for one go for personal taste and this game will stick for me and I know for sure for a lot of others ... I hope you guys will commit to bring this tittle further :) Keep up the good work ...

Kind regards

I agree with you, but the problem is that the suits over at the publishers do look at these scores and worry about the shareholders when they are low. A bad Metacritic score can mean that you are not retained as a development studio or a planned sequel or follow up is canned. Which is why you get the situation where people start publishing positive reviews under pseudonyms (Dragon Age 2 anyone?).

I think it stinks, but it happens.

I agree with you, but the problem is that the suits over at the publishers do look at these scores and worry about the shareholders when they are low. A bad Metacritic score can mean that you are not retained as a development studio or a planned sequel or follow up is canned. Which is why you get the situation where people start publishing positive reviews under pseudonyms (Dragon Age 2 anyone?).

I think it stinks, but it happens.

The suits only look at the money not the passion behind the product, I only hope these guys survive their first effort to bring it further it would be a shame if they can't, to many options here to go for if you know what I mean ... e.g. battle of brittain, battle of the bulge Africa campaign, even the pacific put a couple of zero's in there Guadalcanal battle hmmmm :P

kind regards

The suits only look at the money not the passion behind the product, I only hope these guys survive their first effort to bring it further it would be a shame if they can't, to many options here to go for if you know what I mean ... e.g. battle of brittain, battle of the bulge Africa campaign, even the pacific put a couple of zero's in there Guadalcanal battle hmmmm :P

kind regards

I read an interview a while back with a company who specifically go into projects to 'improve their sales' and one of the criteria of their success defined in the contract was a Metacritic score of 70% or more. If I can find the article I will post it up because by the time I got to the end of it, I wanted to kill them!!

I read an interview a while back with a company who specifically go into projects to 'improve their sales' and one of the criteria of their success defined in the contract was a Metacritic score of 70% or more. If I can find the article I will post it up because by the time I got to the end of it, I wanted to kill them!!
Yeh, that's right...

If you find it post it on my PM i guess we are going to OT on this one :) but it is interesting to know ...

kind regards

If anything non-eastern front, I'd like to see a good Italian front DLC/expansion first. Or just stick with EF. Doesn't really matter, I'll play it anyway.

If anything non-eastern front, I'd like to see a good Italian front DLC/expansion first. Or just stick with EF. Doesn't really matter, I'll play it anyway.

Hey, Americans vs Italians is not a bad idea for an expansion pack.