Sign in to follow this  
stephsen

first impression and any questions

Bought the game today from the BI shop and did download it.

At first I saw the BootCamp was greyed out, but noticed that if you start the campaign the Tutorial is integrated.

The atmosphere is great and the models are very nice aswell the world itself, the typical russian villages and buildings adds to it. Already the integrated Tutorial was really fun for me including the voice acting, the transport to the shooting range with a joke...I had one small accident after i got the handnades and did throw it to my own people, after that I faced the execution mission.

Played so far some missions from the german campaign and love it so far, I had not really any big issues with the offline campaign and I enjoy it really much...

I noticed that some single player missions are available already before you finish the campaign and one of it is very interesting, its just presentation of all units & vehicles available in the game. This is really interesting for those who want to see already what units are playable, I like them all. I was playing already years before tank simulation games aswell mmos like Battleground Europe/WW2online, but never had the chance to drive such nice tanks...great !

My problem currently is to join any multiplayer server, I always stuck and wait for the server loading...some kind of blue colored screen with the message on it.

It would be nice if someone could help me here, thx.

I was literally shocked that the game has not Battleye Anti Cheat system, this is very important for the multiplayer part and I hope that we get this as soon as possible. Just wonder why this is not implemented yet.

I will post a more detailed review in the next days, but first I need to play bit more offline and especially get into the multiplayer part which is impossible for me currently.

Edited by oxmox

While playing MP this evening I came across this poor chap. Not sure how he died but I would like to put in a request to check out in the same way!

died_happy.jpg

Ok the first time that I could join a multiplayer server, the waiting time was a bit longer...lets see :yay:

Edited by oxmox

started German Campaign in which after doing the grenade tests -the game has stalled like a trigger was missed or something.

Derp. I was knocking the human targets down rather then those triangle thingies I think ;)

Problem is you can't resupply the grenades and now I gotta start over.

Why do russians have the panzerschrek and not some sort of anti tank rifle?

brilliant so far. the german campaign seems to be working just about ok.

the editor is fantastic and the AI seems better than ARMA2. Seems to be running well now aswell with no crashes for a while after tweaking the nvidea control panel.

my brief foray into multiplayer was a let down. barely any servers, only one or two with any number of players, i got major lag and got kicked for im assuming bad ping. will try again tommorow, for now the editor and the battles you can create with these fantastic units is worth the fee alone.

I'm sorry, but so far it's been a pain to play this game. And it's so hard to admit that, because I really, really wan't to say that it's good.

Experiencing lots of bugs, stupid triggers in the campaign, some of the missions are terribly balanced and alot of triggers aren't working as they should. Had to force endgame twice (Patch fixed some of these issues).

I constantly crash to desktop, but the application still runs. Shift pluss numlock - and typing "flush" makes it come back, but it happens alot! Some doors are to small to fit through, and as many has said before, the sounds simply suck (the guns at least. Alot of those sounds are stock ARMA II). The engine sounds on planes are awsome though. I love the level design on pvp multiplayer, but it constantly crashes, I get kicked randomly, sometimes other players just stand there without moving, and I've encountered several major, major desync issues. One guy I saw kept running towards a wall for at least 5 minutes, going on and on despite the fact that I emptied two clips into his head.

On the positive side though, the maps are amazing! The color palette is wonderful, and the weapons are really cool. It's very interesting to play an arma based game relying so heavily on close combat, and it actually handles quite well on that part. Tank battles are a blast (pun intented) and flying is simply amazing! The scenery while flying is allmost to die for! Coolest dog fighting I've ever played in a game actually.

It's a shame they didn't use us though, the community of ARMA. Alot of these bugs could have been ironed out, if they offered us beta access. Dammit, this game NEEDED to be good on release, due to it's massive potential. In a couple of months, maybe a year, this will be a gem! The sad thing is that by then, alot of people have given up on it! They so should have let the ARMA community play it in advance, to help make it perfect. It would have meant better reviews and better revenue. Well well, didn't happen, sadly enough.

Spoiler removed.

§21) Do not post campaign spoilers outside of the "Official Mission" forum.

If you need to discuss specifics of an official campaign mission outside of the official missions forum , for example to gain troubleshooting help in the troubleshooting forum, you must use the spoiler button spoiler.gif to hide the spoiler from those people who don't want to see it, spoiling the campaign for other forum members may result in an immediate ban from the forums.

Edited by W0lle

GRS: I'm at the same mission, and in the beginning all units are ordered to cease fire(makes sense, you want the tanks to come up close before ambushing them) but they still wont fire even after the tanks have passed the fortifications. Shooting grenades like a machine-gun, but its damn tough.

I'm sorry, but so far it's been a pain to play this game. And it's so hard to admit that, because I really, really wan't to say that it's good.

Experiencing lots of bugs, stupid triggers in the campaign, some of the missions are terribly balanced and alot of triggers aren't working as they should. Had to force endgame twice (Patch fixed some of these issues).

I constantly crash to desktop, but the application still runs. Shift pluss numlock - and typing "flush" makes it come back, but it happens alot! Some doors are to small to fit through, and as many has said before, the sounds simply suck (the guns at least. Alot of those sounds are stock ARMA II). The engine sounds on planes are awsome though. I love the level design on pvp multiplayer, but it constantly crashes, I get kicked randomly, sometimes other players just stand there without moving, and I've encountered several major, major desync issues. One guy I saw kept running towards a wall for at least 5 minutes, going on and on despite the fact that I emptied two clips into his head.

On the positive side though, the maps are amazing! The color palette is wonderful, and the weapons are really cool. It's very interesting to play an arma based game relying so heavily on close combat, and it actually handles quite well on that part. Tank battles are a blast (pun intented) and flying is simply amazing! The scenery while flying is allmost to die for! Coolest dog fighting I've ever played in a game actually.

It's a shame they didn't use us though, the community of ARMA. Alot of these bugs could have been ironed out, if they offered us beta access. Dammit, this game NEEDED to be good on release, due to it's massive potential. In a couple of months, maybe a year, this will be a gem! The sad thing is that by then, alot of people have given up on it! They so should have let the ARMA community play it in advance, to help make it perfect. It would have meant better reviews and better revenue. Well well, didn't happen, sadly enough.

I'm having the same pain. I've tried to play the first mission 5 times and it's either crashed to desktop or my character movement has frozen due to the scripting requiring a restarting of the game...

Hm ,I didn't think that was a spoiler, my apologies. For those that missed it my point was something along the lines of difficulty of a certain part not being a fun challenge but gun-to-head insane.

Still having a good time otherwise. Some issues. I've noticed a good bit of bullets hitting doorways even if they should clear them with plenty of room. The maps are amazing as are the models. Money well spent in my opinion.

The multiplayer part is really bugged. I had a lot of fun with the campaign and with AI on multiplayer maps playing offline without any bigger problems, but the multiplayer part needs really fixes asap. Wonder why this got released how it works now.

* I get the blue loading screen not only before I enter any game so I cant enter the server at all, i got it also during the gameplay suddenly during driving a tank a bit far away from the action.

* in the last game round during gameplay suddenly the mission starting screen pops up (black screen with mission description), but I hear the game in the background and ppl playing, had to restart the game.

* changing settings for my joystick X52 leads always to a ctd

* I see people with running animations sometimes but they dont move forward

* somtimes I see a blue error message about a modul not working

* The map cant be closed with M sometimes and you need to hit ESC to get out of it

* in one multiplayer mission I took a tank and suddenly I saw AI spawning, ordered them to get into my tank. I could not switch positions i.e. to driver seat...

Multiplay is not really that enjoyable currently and I hope with the next patch some things will be fixed. Really sad that especially the multiplayer part of the game has such problems.

Dont get me wrong, I love what the devs produce here but to promote the game more it needs asap fixing.

The game has for sure a lot of potential and I would love to see big battles in pvp ! Hope aswell that some modders can add CTI/warfare to it, that would be great.

Edited by oxmox

Hmmm, I cant launch the game, as it says it "Cannot display this video mode".

But how do I fix that, I cant get in the game in video settings, so,.....

I useally have screen in 1600x1200, so have tryed change it to 1280x1024, but it dosent help.

So, sorry for noobish question, but have never had this problem with OFP-ARMA2.

Edit: Never mind hehe, I found the tekst file where I could change it from 1600x1200 to something else, that helped.

Edited by Higgings.

Hmmm, I cant launch the game, as it says it "Cannot display this video mode".

But how do I fix that, I cant get in the game in video settings, so,.....

I useally have screen in 1600x1200, so have tryed change it to 1280x1024, but it dosent help.

So, sorry for noobish question, but have never had this problem with OFP-ARMA2.

We will take a look. At the moment I can suggest to go IF.cfg (My documents/Iron Front) and write in other resolutions there.

I really find it quite annoying, shooting soldiers right in the torso between 100 and 200 meters and they just lay down to stand up again and run. I bet in WW2 soldier when shot in abdomen, lung area, by kar98 or mosin nagant would if not dead surely be unable to keep fighting. This really turns me down.

The tank system on the other hand is formiddable.

I really find it quite annoying, shooting soldiers right in the torso between 100 and 200 meters and they just lay down to stand up again and run. I bet in WW2 soldier when shot in abdomen, lung area, by kar98 or mosin nagant would if not dead surely be unable to keep fighting. This really turns me down.

Yep, that's a common OFP/ArmA problem, i really could/should be corrected one day. At least a stunt animation.

Well I am going to get my hard copy right now so ill see what it will give when it is installed, so far I like the part where the game is just out and already a patch came out, the developers are dedicated to make this a good tittle and they stick to their product so they seem to walk the same course as Bohemia interactive to give their best efforts to make their tittle stick to the public..

kind regards

Now that i installed the patch it seemed better, don't know if they changed anything in that area.

Been spending time in editor and in 2 mp games, and I do think it is queit fun.

Epic tank effect, saw a AI in a Russian 2engin plane, bombe a Pz4 and the tank lost it´s tower :D

Regarding the "Getting shot, sit down and up again" situation, it just force you to make sure you took him down.

Queit all right I think.

So, all in all, glad I spend the money :)

Can you turn the dialogue up, and the sound effects and music down?

Can you turn the dialogue up, and the sound effects and music down?

Yes you can. It's in the audio options.

Yes you can. It's in the audio options.

I have tried all combinations of Radio, effects and music and I still cannot hear what what is being said over the noise.

Finally I can give some impressions.

I saw already a lot, and lot of bashing on this forum and on the IF forums, threads of that kind should be locked without any notice by an Admin here and also there, but thats only my 2 cents. I can't understand why it is so that people feel the urge to bash and make a fool of them selves. This is and I repeat IS a full Operational Game, I did not had any crashes at all, I started to play 6 hours back and my pc was already running the whole day so my rig was heated under the hood. The comments about lag are tremendously overacted by some members .....

In some cases it briefly lags but nothing to make a mayor issue of. I play the game on hard settings with a view distance of 5000+ the same settings for my ArmA2 where I even use blastcore fx and jarheads sound mod. The game it selves, the models and the textures are from high quality where the art in this game is dripping of the screen, The game play does not vary a lot of that from ArmA2 but the environment is very well thought out where the chosen scenarios are well don, lets say the maps houses and landmarks are evenly from high quality, the tanks models are very good and the damage system .. hmmm I can say that you will think twice before running towards an enemy tank as an infantry I hope at least that it will be that hard in ArmA3 to take an armored vehicle out. Not only that but it is a very nice touch that the helmets flies when you hit it.

The campaigns, I am now in the 3 or the 4th mission in the German original campaign without any problems the story line is well sorted out, the whole thing invites me to push further and see where the whole thing will bring me. Its a long time been that I got the same feeling like the old days of the Resistance campaign ... this scenario, this is starting to bringing me back to that point that I want more, and go deeper in my role of surviving on that battle field end bring my men home alive and well. The voice acting is well don no matter what others say (I know taste can not be discussed) but this isn't about taste anymore this is about a teams hard work and they earned it even if they had minor set backs they earned to hear that they did a good job.

I also briefly played the Soviet campaign in the original version and it looks in the same way very promising, the developers did a good job out there and I only hope they will bring it a little further and bring some more western campaigns to this nice scenario more like Normandy maybe more planes would be nice in the feature, a little more attention to the combat flight P51's some strumovics, spitfires battle of europe maybe :D hmmm flying fortresses let it come let it come ... I am DOG fighting all over this game :P ...

The only thing that I can say that might be a little off but this is not a game killer but more a personal taste... the gun sounds, this is a minor point to the whole content ... but there is nothing what a good mod can't do :) anyway in my ayes this one is a keeper ..

kind regards ..

I have tried all combinations of Radio, effects and music and I still cannot hear what what is being said over the noise.

I tampered with the sounds and It goes fine for me now it also depends on what kind of sound system you have on your computer tamper with the sound settings of your sound card and in the game sound settings and you should be fine.

Edited by KBourne
oh oh don't forget tha sherman :P